MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan B.

'KLIA East @ Labu’

Oh I wished I knew about this and would have asked TF about this yesterday. Instead of bringing the MTB and the LCCT closer, they will now be even further apart!

KUALA LUMPUR: The cabinet has given the green light for a new low-cost carrier terminal on a 2,800-hectare site in Labu, Negri Sembilan, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat said.

Ong said the new LCCT would be built under a private finance initiative by conglomerate Sime Darby Bhd and budget airline AirAsia.

The airport will anchor Sime Darby's "massive integrated city" development in Labu, which includes five townships with services in education, health, sports, high technology, recreation and entertainment.

The RM1.6 billion terminal will be funded by Sime Darby and joint-venture partners which could include AirAsia and Malaysia Airports Bhd.

Ong said the new terminal was needed as the current facility in Sepang would not be able to cope with the increased passenger volume.

Under its final expansion phase, after which there will be no more room for growth, the Sepang LCCT will have its capacity increased to 15 million passengers a year, a figure industry sources say is likely to be exceeded by 2011.

Including its Thai and Indonesian affiliates, AirAsia flew some 18 million people this year. The new terminal will be built to accommodate 25 million passengers a year, and last on present forecasts until 2030.

Ong said he could not give a timeline on when work would start on the new LCCT.

"It is up to them as to when they want to start work. For our part we will make sure there is connectivity between the Kuala Lumpur International Airport and the new LCCT.

"We want to ensure passengers will be able to move from both places speedily, smoothly and efficiently."

To be called "KLIA East@ Labu", the new terminal is slightly closer to central Kuala Lumpur than the present LCCT and will boast connectivity by both road and rail.

A 7km branch road will link it with the North-South Expressway and a 3km spur line will be built from the railway station in Labu -- a stop on the KL-Seremban KTM Komuter route.

Welcoming the project's approval, Negri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hassan said the KLIA would be connected to the new terminal by a 7km Express Rail Link (ERL).

Industry sources said a ground-breaking ceremony was being slated for late next month with construction planned for completion in two years.

When the new facility is commissioned, the Sepang LCCT, which has more than recovered its cost from the explosive increase in passenger numbers over the last two years, will serve other budget carriers, such as Singapore's Tiger Airways.

Mohamad said the siting of the new terminal near Kampung Gadong Jaya in Labu would boost economic growth in the state.

"The location is not far from the existing terminal. It will be an extension of the KLIA.

"When the airport is built, the state can expect economic development, such as housing estates and business centres, in the surrounding areas," he said.

Edited by Alan B.

Astounding :rolleyes:

Keep up the momentum and we'll have a corridor of international airports - IPH, SZB, KUL, Labu, Batu Berendam, Senai - in keeping with the currently in vogue 'corridor' theme I suppose :)

soo..there is negeri 9 airport.. wonders wht happen to the tune hotel nxt to Lcct? :pardon:

good news those who owned land there... :clapping: :clapping:

I think in future every district will have its own airport to cater to the local people and their new mode of transport.

Its either the person reporting the news, i.e. the journalist and/or the person making the press conference was purely

silly and uneducated as to say that its a new airport....the airport is already existing, its just a NEW TERMINAL and thats

about it. Why cant these inefficient reporters report accurately ? :angry:

I think the new trend in the future will see plane stops similar to bus stops...so we hail for the plane flying across the sky

to stop and fetch us. So an airport every 50km is required soon ? Interesting !!!

Obviously now Selangor will loose out with Negeri Sembilan being heavily involved in the airport construction and etc.

Wonder why is that ?? :mellow:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's not just a new building, but there will be a new runway as well, and possibly a new ATC. That's what we call WASTING RESOURCES.

Edited by Azri M.

Welcoming the project's approval, Negri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hassan said the KLIA would be connected to the new terminal by a 7km Express Rail Link (ERL).

I'm not familiar with the area but 7km apart? That is like 3.77nm. :blink:

Isn't that too close for RPT jet aircraft? Somemore coming in to land and take off and close to ground.

If it is true, setting up a new airspace for the airport is going to be chore.

Did a bit of googling, even international airports in London or New York are at least 10nm apart.

Is there any other reason why they can't use the main terminal? I believe there is still a Godzillion gate available.

KLIA is already dead, with AK pulling out from this airport, KLIA's going to be even more dead!

The biggest winner here are the cronies.

Edited by Walter Sim

Believe MoT and Khazanah have given up hope on MAHB and this is the opportunity to revamp and rebuilds KUL :clapping: Hope Sime Darby will build a user friendly terminal. If Sime Darby can guarantee transit (bag transfer) within 30 minutes, last bag on belt in 20 minute, believe foreign LCC may consider to use KUL as their hub. Never know, other legacy airlines may decide to move to this new terminal :good:

Are they going to build the 3rd runway for the new LCCT? If not, AK may need to add extra minutes for taxi to and from runway which will reduce their aircraft utilization.

:drinks:

As usual something doesn't feel right about this decision. Making matters worst is that nobody is asking questions about this and as usual the mainstream media is awfully quiet about it. I'm afraid this will be another waste of resources.

... Mohamad said the siting of the new terminal near Kampung Gadong Jaya in Labu would boost economic growth in the state....

Kg Gadong Jaya? See location HERE..

If you read into this correctly, this "new" airport would be privately funded and run. This could be a sign that AK has had enough of the feet dragging with MAHB and the like that he now wants to develop HIS own little city in Labu?

A slap in the face, no doubt, for the government peeps?

Edited by Ryan Soh

i thought it was a joke back then, but yesterday tony himself said that the ground breaking will be in jan 2009. yay! now everyone can travel from home to work!

If you read into this correctly, this "new" airport would be privately funded and run. This could be a sign that AK has had enough of the feet dragging with MAHB and the like that he now wants to develop HIS own little city in Labu? A slap in the face, no doubt, for the government peeps?

Being privately funded doesn't mean it can be approved by the relevant authorities without detailed studies. This is a construction of an airport, not a shoplot. Although it is an excellent slap in the face to the government and MAHB for their incapabilities to support AirAsia's massive expansion which has been dragged for years despite AirAsia's constant complaints, does it worth it to sacrifice KUL's future? The main international airport of a country should be a strategic national interest with clear aims and any significant issues such as this one should be attended to with the utmost attentions. However, it seems that there's no exact masterplan or even direction for KUL.

i thought it was a joke back then, but yesterday tony himself said that the ground breaking will be in jan 2009. yay! now everyone can travel from home to work!

When I heard about it , some months back , I too didn't really take it seriously ... But wow ....

With such a blatant misuse of resources being publicized, I wonder why people continue to waste their time protesting over "Muslim shufflers" and "Camry's" instead of focusing their efforts on preventing such an unnecessary 'dream' from coming true...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

... Mohamad said the siting of the new terminal near Kampung Gadong Jaya in Labu would boost economic growth in the state....

Cheh! boost the econ growth of the state or certain people's pocket?

Whoa man... This is truly outrageous... Definitely and ruthlessly killing the already crawling KLIA. What a crap. And we trust these men to run our country?

I really really hope this totally stupid plan get a total public whack out and condemnation. Don't they fight this in the Parliament?

Erm.. Doc Naim, link appears to be broken la..

The gomen needs not answer to the rubber stamp parliament on private financing initiatives (PFI) e.g. Putrajaya.

Operating a busy airport is a profitable business, building new airport and terminal in Malaysia is a even more profitable proposition. As few people or authority can challenge what KLIA Consult is asking, hence, construction cost (include profit) is exceptionally high.

Not that I agreed with the waste of resources. But the design and construction of MTB and Satellite terminal is unfriendly and inefficient to operator, airlines and pax. It is proven in the last 10 years that, no matter how much energy one put in (e.g. free landing fees), KUL can’t compete with either SIN or BKK efficiently.

Hopefully, Sime Darby will build a efficient and friendly terminal even MH wanted to move in.

:drinks:

Not so good for spotters too since can no longer 'kill two (and more) birds with one stone (camera)'. Spotters would have then to decide whether to go to KLIA or the new LCCT... Isn't that troublesome...

Not so good for spotters too since can no longer 'kill two (and more) birds with one stone (camera)'. Spotters would have then to decide whether to go to KLIA or the new LCCT... Isn't that troublesome...

Ibrahim won't even bother to take if a normal AK livery pass in front of his lens :p