Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.

Photo

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#41 Craig

Craig
  • Silver Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

MH is not in the same league as SQ, so it's best not to compare to them. However, just a slight tweak in the seat will make it way better for passengers. Instead of Vantage (1-2-1 // 1-2-2 alternate seating), go with Vantage XL (all 1-2-1) like what Qantas has and it's all good.

But then again, I was very happy with the 2014 price for the current MH 380 J seats. So even if they use the 380 J seats for the 350 whilst maintaining the same 2014 price, I'd be a happy camper.

#42 Roy Chin

Roy Chin
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

Agree, Malaysia does not attract the same kind of premium travellers as Singapore does. So to try to one up them on their J product will not do as well, not to mention Changi has more direct connection to more international destination than KLIA does.

true... no point using luxurious J product like SQ and EY, and ended up with empty cabin... talk about revenue first

#43 DaTan

DaTan
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

What I mean is that it better be an improvement from the current A330 seats. Something such as cup holders and compartment for smartphone as seen in CX. These are lacking in MH's fleet

#44 RaymondT

RaymondT
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

MH is not in the same league as SQ, so it's best not to compare to them. However, just a slight tweak in the seat will make it way better for passengers. Instead of Vantage (1-2-1 // 1-2-2 alternate seating), go with Vantage XL (all 1-2-1) like what Qantas has and it's all good.

But then again, I was very happy with the 2014 price for the current MH 380 J seats. So even if they use the 380 J seats for the 350 whilst maintaining the same 2014 price, I'd be a happy camper.

I do like the fact that MAS has that 2 couple seats by the window. I would definitely be picking those two seats when I fly to Japan at the end of this year.

DaTan, on 18 Apr 2016 - 1:36 PM, said:

What I mean is that it better be an improvement from the current A330 seats. Something such as cup holders and compartment for smartphone as seen in CX. These are lacking in MH's fleet

That has more to do with MAB's choice of customisation on their seats. Check out JetBlue which uses the same Thompson Vantage on their A320 series. It even comes with a private suite for the "Throne" seats!

http://www.jetblue.c...n-jetblue/mint/

#45 Lim Kar Yong

Lim Kar Yong
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

I do like the fact that MAS has that 2 couple seats by the window. I would definitely be picking those two seats when I fly to Japan at the end of this year.

DaTan, on 18 Apr 2016 - 1:36 PM, said:

That has more to do with MAB's choice of customisation on their seats. Check out JetBlue which uses the same Thompson Vantage on their A320 series. It even comes with a private suite for the "Throne" seats!

http://www.jetblue.c...n-jetblue/mint/

Wow. If JetBlue could do this for a narrow body, imagine what it could be if this is also installed for MAB/s B738, especially those that are used to fly more than 3 hrs? Just dreaming lah .... 

#46 RaymondT

RaymondT
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

Wow. If JetBlue could do this for a narrow body, imagine what it could be if this is also installed for MAB/s B738, especially those that are used to fly more than 3 hrs? Just dreaming lah .... 

JetBlue only has it on their narrow body travelling between the East & West Coast of the USA. That's a 6 hours flight there.

But MH could use it for some of their longer haul narrow body flights.... like India/Darwin etc?

#47 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:16 PM

true... no point using luxurious J product like SQ and EY, and ended up with empty cabin... talk about revenue first

Agree, Malaysia does not attract the same kind of premium travellers as Singapore does. So to try to one up them on their J product will not do as well, not to mention Changi has more direct connection to more international destination than KLIA does.

Over 70% of QR, EK and EY pax transit through their hubs. If MH could attract pax from other cities, O&D KUL pax won't be critical. However, given MH treatment to J class on regional, except cheap fare, few reason to take MH.

Edited by KK Lee, 18 April 2016 - 11:17 PM.

#48 RaymondT

RaymondT
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Over 70% of QR, EK and EY pax transit through their hubs. If MH could attract pax from other cities, O&D KUL pax won't be critical. However, given MH treatment to J class on regional, except cheap fare, few reason to take MH.

Yeah.. no alcohol for one..

QR, EK and EY has a very large wide body fleet, and a very extensive network as well. J class travellers would have a very consistent product throughout their network and with lots of destination to choose from as well. (Except EK which has a superior J hard product on their A380 and a weaker one on their 777).

Don't think MH is in a position to target those markets any time soon, not to mention our premium lounge @ KLIA leaves a lot to be desired when compared to many other industry leading lounges.

#49 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

The whole purpose of the MAS reboot is to enable it to get back to basics - the airline has lost its founding principles and purpose. So it should go back to its humble roots again and rebuild its business.

At this stage, any grand ideas should be postponed. They should get all the basics of airline operations correct first. When it is on a firm foundation, it can then try to build upon that.

#50 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

Yeah.. no alcohol for one..

QR, EK and EY has a very large wide body fleet, and a very extensive network as well. J class travellers would have a very consistent product throughout their network and with lots of destination to choose from as well. (Except EK which has a superior J hard product on their A380 and a weaker one on their 777).

Unlike EK, QR and EY don't have pure-widebody fleets. You'll still find A319/320s on regional and even European routes.

#51 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

Unlike EK, QR and EY don't have pure-widebody fleets. You'll still find A319/320s on regional and even European routes.

QR don't compromise their service level on A320/321 to Europe.

#52 RaymondT

RaymondT
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

From memory, QR has lie flat business products on their narrow bodies.

Edit: A photo I found on Airliners.net
Source Link: http://www.airliners...103cfc4d653e7ca
2658842.jpg

Edited by RaymondT, 19 April 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#53 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

From memory, QR has lie flat business products on their narrow bodies.

Edit: A photo I found on Airliners.net
Source Link: http://www.airliners...103cfc4d653e7ca

20150614082022.JPG

QR A320 J class seat is lie flat

Edited by KK Lee, 19 April 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#54 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Those lie flats are available on a small number of QR A320s. Not all A320s.
Similarly, GF's A320s have lie flats biz seats too which I think are superior to those on QR's A320s. GF uses these mostly on European flights.

#55 DaTan

DaTan
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Vantage XL for A350 should be good enough. It will be on par with the CX long haul seats

#56 David.W

David.W
  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

http://www.therakyat...us-a350-planes/

KUALA LUMPUR, 23 May 2016:

Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) has exercised a 12-year lease agreement for an additional two new Airbus A350-900s with Air Lease Corporation (ALC), which will be delivered by 2018.

The transaction is pursuant to the option provided under the existing lease agreement for four A350-900s signed by both parties in September last year, it said in a statement today.

“The additional two Airbus A350-900s will complement the existing four that is on order to reach a critical fleet size, allowing standby aircraft for any scheduled maintenance and enabling future network expansion,” said MAB chief executive officer Christoph Mueller.