Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

MAS Privatisation

• Please log in to reply
2203 replies to this topic

#2201 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

As mentioned by many, airlines tend to charge more for O&D tickets originating from their home hubs compared to their transiting tickets. This may partly explain the less competitiveness of MH fares compared to foreign airlines for flights originating from KUL. MH may not be the first choice of many fellow Malaysian in term of the ticket prices but I know at least it is very popular among travelers from Australia to India via KUL.  

For an airline becomes successful, it needs strong supports from the people of its own country.  

Many of my Australian & Singaporean friends would choose QF and SQ over other foreign airlines for destinations these airlines serve despite the higher fares.  They have faith in the airlines they familiar with.

I remember the same happened to MH in the 80s during its glory days. For destinations that MH served back then, the people I knew in Malaysia would pick MH as their first choice and they felt proud flying with MH. Flying with SQ via SIN always seemed as a sub-superior and cheaper option.     

One of the biggest task of MH management now I think is how to win back the confidence and supports from the fellow Malaysian. I truly hope the day will come back again.

At one time, I paid a premium for MH ticket until surcharge on Enrich redemption ticket was more expensive than EK paid ticket. Pax could be loyal to airlines, doesn't mean airlines is loyal to pax.

I think MH suffers similar problems with its brand image as Proton. Many people like to "tumpang glamour" and associate themselves with success - MH is now looked upon as a loser. Part of the reason for that image is the continued financial losses as it indicates that the management may be weak or poor. Winning industry awards is also considered important as many like to fly with a "winning airline".

So, apart from getting their financials back on track, it would be useful if MH picks up an award or two each year. That may then cause people to "try them out" to see what is so special about them.

Many awards could be bought. MH had 5 star but delivered 2 star experience.

#2202 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:28 AM

No one is asking for BMW quality at proton price;

Malaysians travel on ak/d7 don't expect ek/tg service level. Neither are they expect mh at sq or ek service level.

On the contrary, it certainly sounds like some people expect a far greater service level at low prices. In fact, you seem to be quite fond of QR/EK because they offer SQ-level service while being "competitively priced".

Believe those insisted on sq service level could always take sq, ek, qr;

There may not be "wow" factor on me3 but they deliver what is expected, convenience and competitively priced.

Stop generalising Malaysians. Not everyone complaint about 5 - 6 hours in a narrow body.

True, many Malaysians couldn't care less about the aircraft type they're on, but within the confines of MalaysianWings it certainly seems like narrowbodies attract a great deal of hate, especially on longer sectors.

So, apart from getting their financials back on track, it would be useful if MH picks up an award or two each year. That may then cause people to "try them out" to see what is so special about them.

Like Skytrax? :D :D

#2203 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

On the contrary, it certainly sounds like some people expect a far greater service level at low prices. In fact, you seem to be quite fond of QR/EK because they offer SQ-level service while being "competitively priced".

True, many Malaysians couldn't care less about the aircraft type they're on, but within the confines of MalaysianWings it certainly seems like narrowbodies attract a great deal of hate, especially on longer sectors.

Like Skytrax? :D :D

Isn't this typical consumer behaviour? in service industry, there is a price/value associate with almost every single items/experience; those could afford, pay for those experience. if the service provider deliver experience consistent with or better than expectation; customers will return. pax pay a premium/value for non stop, daily service, proper meal, excellent ife, comfortable seat, pillow, seat pitch, ffp, etc but not exorbitant amount. airlines need know how to price to shift pax from non stop and vs. it seems mh has failed to apprehend all these which reflected in their P&L. for reasons, me3 have multiple daily flights from KUL.

#2204 David.W

David.W
  • Silver Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

As Pakatan Harapan considers its next step with regard to Malaysia Airlines, DAP man Julian Tan has suggested a way to salvage the ailing national carrier.

Trained as an aerospace engineer and researcher, the former Stampin MP stressed that there was a need for someone with the “guts” to cancel any bad contracts.

“It takes someone with guts to weed out the weed in MAS and terminate contracts that are detrimental to the survival of MAS.

“[...] What is needed is courage and determination to do the necessary - to revise contracts, weed out unwanted wastages, and streamline existing operation to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness,” he said in a statement today.

He said MAB had an irreplaceable role in the local airline industry, as it caters to business, premium, and economy packages, all which appeals to a different market segment compared to other airlines such as AirAsia.

“MAS plays an irreplaceable role, offering a comprehensive range of services and flexibility that no other local carrier is able to match,” he said.

Economic Affairs minister Mohamed Azmin Ali previously revealed that MAB had secured a new charter service from Kuala Lumpur to Madinah in Saudi Arabia aimed at Muslim pilgrims.

Tan further analysed that the airline had only become loss-making due to being “enmeshed” in politics, having a poor management team and becoming a “milking ground” for political cronies.

“No more political entanglement, MAB has more than what it needs to survive and thrive,” he said.

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad previously said that the government was mullingshutting down, selling or refinancing MAB.

However, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng later clarified that the government would not shut down the national carrier, instead it was merely one of the options presented to the prime minister.

In 2014, the airline was taken private by government wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Bhd and injected with RM6 billion in a bid to return it to profitability within three years.

Earlier this month, Khazanah attributed its first pre-tax loss in 13 years largely to MAB’s performance.

https://www.malaysia...3cng3PZ7_CnUEI4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users