MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

mh should make a relationship with a Airline like Emirates so it could get into an Alliance. As most of you know Emirates is expanding very fast. I do belive KLM codeshares with MH on the KL-SYD-BNE-KL route according to BNE airport website. So there could be an opputunity for MH to join Skyteam but then we have AF. :drinks: Besides MH needs to make a better product. :rolleyes:

Not only you will see KLM flightnumbers to SYD and BNE, James, but also to PER, ADL, MEL and AKL, as well as domestically like PEN, BKI and KCH :pardon:

EK seems to be an airline to prefer to 'do it on her own' and is in no Alliance whatsoever...even 'dumped' UL :nea:

Not only you will see KLM flightnumbers to SYD and BNE, James, but also to PER, ADL, MEL and AKL, as well as domestically like PEN, BKI and KCH

For domestic I think it's PEN, BKI and LGK, not KCH.

For domestic I think it's PEN, BKI and LGK, not KCH.

Will check personally at the end of this month ;)

So, let us all solat hajat and do whatever the necessary so that JL's pursuit of VN will be fruitful and that SkyTeam has no other choice other than to appoint MH, of course with the help of Meneer Van Wijk.

I think I posted JL's media release in the OW forum some time ago regarding the above.

With these things, anything can happen so I prefer to adopt a 'wait and see' approach.

IMO MH will be a dream recruit for ST - a high quality (despite recent cost cuts) airline in a strategic region with a healthy balance sheet and good network.

Edited by Keith T

I think I posted JL's media release in the OW forum some time ago regarding the above.

With these things, anything can happen so I prefer to adopt a 'wait and see' approach.

IMO MH will be a dream recruit for ST - a high quality (despite recent cost cuts) airline in a strategic region with a healthy balance sheet and good network.

In term of network and geographical location, MH is ideal partner for both OW and ST. However, MH is known to do things its way (like EK at the moment), it will need lot of goodwill and convincing to commence negotiation with MH.

With Japanese ‘China plus one’ policy, it is pretty natural for JL to develop VN but doubt CX will be keen to have another OW member so close to its door step.

:drinks:

Depends on who you ask. Some say it's KL that wants MH, but AF don't want.. Hence why they took Vietnam.

If you count on AF, GA will be the favourite.

If the rumour about AF blocking MH was true, GA will be the favourite for the next Skyteam member.

If you count on AF, GA will be the favourite.

If the rumour about AF blocking MH was true, GA will be the favourite for the next Skyteam member.

Could this be because MH wants to protect its major client, the top guns in Malaysia so they can enjoy the first class services for almost free ? LOL !! Just a thought !!

OT but I believe it won't be long before Proton and VW team up.

VW is investing a US$140 million plant in Indonesia. Care to elaborate why VW will partner with Proton?

VW is investing a US$140 million plant in Indonesia. Care to elaborate why VW will partner with Proton?

O/T - so Proton production can all be shifted to Indonesia ? :p

Lari ! =@

I made that comment purely based on assumption, however after going through some news articles, it seems that the deal is indeed off :(

Hopefully MH and SkyTeam discussion doesn't end with same fate.

Sorry to be a party-pooper as I am quite certain that Malaysia Airlines' chance to join Skyteam seems a long shot now. At the inauguration celebration of KLM's flight to Bali in January 2010, KLM's CEO Mr Peter Hartman solidly backed Garuda Indonesia's entry into Skyteam. And I cannot see how this alliance can line up Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Garuda in one line. Malaysia Airlines seem wedged in between VN and GA ... a position that mirrors KLIA's location between BKK and SIN.

oneworld continues to have a gap in Southeast Asia and perhaps that remains the only potential alliance for MH. My only reservation is the feeling that it would be difficult for MH to fit in (culturally) into this very Anglo-centric alliance anchored by British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. In this alliance, the sun has not yet set on the British Empire and Britannia reigns supreme.

KC Sim

Frankly, I cannot see arrogant MH being able to join any alliance. It keeps saying it is different and unique. So if it wants to carry on with that attitude, it should be just that - different and unique on its own. No need for any alliances.

Frankly, I cannot see arrogant MH being able to join any alliance. It keeps saying it is different and unique. So if it wants to carry on with that attitude, it should be just that - different and unique on its own. No need for any alliances.

Makes me smile :)

Although AF and KL may be operate as distinct airline but AF-KLM is a merged company, at top management AF and KLM is one and the same. Since the French having the majority shares, decision is more incline to AF thinking.

Given Dutch historical link with Indonesia, GA will be the preferred SE Asia airline for Sky Team to court with. However, before GA is accepted to ST, believe GA need to yield to a number of AF/KLM requirement e.g. establish wider Australia network, align regional schedule for connection to/from AMS/CDG, channel US east coast and European traffic through AMS/CDG, etc. Hence, GA will take a few years to become a full member of ST.

After 20+ years of Mahathir regime, Anglo relationship and connection is totally destroyed else joining One World would have been a natural choice for MH.

I believe a fellow MWinger asked a question about alliances to Tengku Azmil and this was his response:

"We will get to alliances in due time. Working on getting our act together first."

Time and tide wait for no man ... and alliances don't wait for any airline.

JAL paid a very high price for the delay in joining an alliance. Like Malaysia Airlines, JAL for many years kept insisting that codeshare agreements and interline agreements with other airlines suffice and alliances have no value. I am inclined to believe that when JAL finally decided to join an alliance, it chose the wrong one in oneworld. It would have been a better fit if it had chosen Skyteam. It actually decided to leave oneworld for Skyteam this year but the penalty it had to pay was probably too high - and it returned to oneworld.

I wonder how long Tengku Azmil thinks is a reasonable time MH needs to join an alliance. After at least two phases of the much-touted Business Turnaround Plan, surely it should not take that much longer to get the act together.

KC Sim

Time and tide wait for no man ... and alliances don't wait for any airline.

JAL paid a very high price for the delay in joining an alliance. Like Malaysia Airlines, JAL for many years kept insisting that codeshare agreements and interline agreements with other airlines suffice and alliances have no value. I am inclined to believe that when JAL finally decided to join an alliance, it chose the wrong one in oneworld. It would have been a better fit if it had chosen Skyteam. It actually decided to leave oneworld for Skyteam this year but the penalty it had to pay was probably too high - and it returned to oneworld.

I wonder how long Tengku Azmil thinks is a reasonable time MH needs to join an alliance. After at least two phases of the much-touted Business Turnaround Plan, surely it should not take that much longer to get the act together.

KC Sim

In an interview with ETN (http://www.eturbonews.com/16979/exclusive-interview-air-france-klm-president-pierre-henri-gourge), AF-KLM president said:

Although Skyteam further looks for a partner in India – Jet Airways could be the right airline, as both Air India an Kingfisher Airlines are due to join, respectively, Star Alliance and Oneworld - Southeast Asia is rapidly gaining weight for the grouping. Vietnam Airlines joined officially on June 21, adding 20 new destinations to the SkyTeam network. “I can coonfirm that we are now in advanced discussions with Garuda Indonesia,” he explained.

Looks like Skyteam is really trying to strengthen its presence in Southeast Asia.

The statement from the president echoes similar statement by GA's CEO on the airline's entry to the alliance next year.

In an interview with ETN (http://www.eturbonews.com/16979/exclusive-interview-air-france-klm-president-pierre-henri-gourge), AF-KLM president said:

Although Skyteam further looks for a partner in India – Jet Airways could be the right airline, as both Air India an Kingfisher Airlines are due to join, respectively, Star Alliance and Oneworld - Southeast Asia is rapidly gaining weight for the grouping. Vietnam Airlines joined officially on June 21, adding 20 new destinations to the SkyTeam network. “I can coonfirm that we are now in advanced discussions with Garuda Indonesia,” he explained.

Guess the die is cast :pardon:

Looks like Skyteam is really trying to strengthen its presence in Southeast Asia.

The statement from the president echoes similar statement by GA's CEO on the airline's entry to the alliance next year.

MH shouldnt waste time worrying about Air Asia and even SQ (this one has always been around MH from day 1) but their serious contender is GARUDA.

If not careful its very very soon it will blow slow govverment controlled MAS out of the picture and it will be all too late. Alliance or not.

Now airlines are concentrating on BKK and SIN, and if not careful the last few remaining will skip KUL and go to jakarta(Sky team KLM)

MH better join the last remaining alliance. It been 2 yeras this thread started and you have done nothing about it.Watch you back for Garuda.

Edited by jadivindra