MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

I just cannot imagine Malaysia Airlines joining an alliance that includes or is formed by El Al Israeli Airline. Politics and religion just would not allow for this to happen, regardless of the business case.

KC Sim

Wasnt El Al going to erect a new alliance together with some other smaller carriers?

Two issues there that preclude MH having anything to do with such a new alliance

Involvement of El Al as KC has mentioned (though politics can and will change with time)

MH stooping so low as to acknowledge being one of the "smaller carriers" (pride and arrogance more difficult to tackle, much less change)

:)

Unless something extremely crazy and drastic happens, the "politics" with Israel will never change.

Unless something extremely crazy and drastic happens, the "politics" with Israel will never change.

Agree! Unless the sun starts rising from the West every morning, MH and El Al do not go together in a sentence. It would be a revolt if it does happens. Didn't Aerosvit, and some other East Europe formed a new alliance?

Since Virgin group plans to have their own alliance, Mh maybe can join. It'll be more exclusive since there's no Virgin in Asia, just yet.

Since Virgin group plans to have their own alliance, Mh maybe can join. It'll be more exclusive since there's no Virgin in Asia, just yet.

Virgin Atlantic does fly to Asia destination.

Malaysian govt. has never had a good record when it comes to having a clear long term vision for GLCs. As such it is hard for companies like MAS to have plans stretching 5-10 years. How can you join an alliance if you keep changing your plans every two or three years? A good example is fleet replacement.

Every year we hear of differing plans, whether it is the own vs lease ratio, whether it will have 3 main aircraft types in the fleet, or whether MAS is focussed on competing with LCCs or FSCs.

The Q1 presentation is just to appease analysts - that MH still has alliances on its radar. But I doubt that they are in serious negotiations with any alliance. MH does not really have a very clear roadmap ahead and it would be difficult to even consider alliances since it does not know its own objectives. MH will always say that they have "special" circumstances.

On their part, the govt. should probably task PMB with the provision of RAS and VIP transport services. That way, it can free up MH from those onerous duties and enable it to compete properly on a commercial basis.

That's not a bad idea actually. MH already have FFP partnerships with both Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia.

That's not a bad idea actually. MH already have FFP partnerships with both Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia.

Not sure MH how to overcome; Virgin is 49% owned by SQ and Richard Branson is a buddy of MH's best friend TF.

MH needs to have some new routes that no other carriers have ever had, if they want to join an alliance. That's one of the requirements, i guess. GA was invited to join Skyteam because they have an extensive networks in Indonesia, over 31 destinations in Indonesia alone. VN also choosen because of that case too. Allowed Skyteam to code-share every domestic flights that those carriers had. IDK about MH's domestic network, but i think it wasn't as strong as those carriers. Nuff said :)

Allowed Skyteam to code-share every domestic flights that those carriers had. IDK about MH's domestic network, but i think it wasn't as strong as those carriers. Nuff said :)

MH do provide reasonably good connectivity for the domestic sector. But passenger volume wise... it's hard to say, ever since AK joined the fray. It can't be denied that the average passenger will opt for a cheaper fare given that the average travel time between one destination to another within Peninsular Malaysia takes no more than 45 minutes (with the exception of East Malaysia of course).

Now, if MH were to be part of an alliance, say SkyTeam for instance. Before I begin, foreign passengers arriving at KLIA from abroad are spoilt for choice given the serious competition between MH (and its subsidiaries) as well as AK. And we cannot assume all tourists are well-to-do. With the introduction of "no-frill" carriers such as AK, budgeted travelling is becoming increasingly popular, and most importantly affordable. MH COULD, and I emphasize on it again, COULD connect KLM passengers to hot destinations such as Langkawi and Penang, for example (assuming they insist on flying KLM to KUL.) They could make an online booking which also includes the best and fastest connecting flight from KUL to LGK via MH. This is easier compared to logging on to Air Asia's website and purchasing a seperate fare (they have to travel to the LCCT as well). And don't get me started on the complimentary flight delay or cancellation which is written all over AK's books, albeit a slight improvement now (the last time I flew Air Asia was D7 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur on premium economy, in Jan 2011).

Having spent alot of time in Australia and a few months in Europe, Westerners do fancy a sandy and tropical escape, especially during winter. Hence, the popularity of Langkawi and Penang among tourists. I'm sure many of you have roamed around these 2 islands and noticed that more tourists seem to flock there. The plus point is that MH serves these 2 destinations, among others. Unless I'm out-of-date, KLM, Lufthansa & Air France do not serve those destinations. Heck, basically no one from SkyTeam does.

It's unfortunate that I'm not involved in the aviation industry in terms of my career, and my interpretation of this issue may seem inaccurate to many, but I'm sure that MH can work its way around, even thought it's tied to an alliance. MH's entry into SkyTeam can benefit both parties. They just need to sit down, brainstorm, and then create a synergy which brings joy to both the operator and the customer.

Your frequent flyer,

Wilson.

MH do provide reasonably good connectivity for the domestic sector. But passenger volume wise... it's hard to say, ever since AK joined the fray. It can't be denied that the average passenger will opt for a cheaper fare given that the average travel time between one destination to another within Peninsular Malaysia takes no more than 45 minutes (with the exception of East Malaysia of course).

Now, if MH were to be part of an alliance, say SkyTeam for instance. Before I begin, foreign passengers arriving at KLIA from abroad are spoilt for choice given the serious competition between MH (and its subsidiaries) as well as AK. And we cannot assume all tourists are well-to-do. With the introduction of "no-frill" carriers such as AK, budgeted travelling is becoming increasingly popular, and most importantly affordable. MH COULD, and I emphasize on it again, COULD connect KLM passengers to hot destinations such as Langkawi and Penang, for example (assuming they insist on flying KLM to KUL.) They could make an online booking which also includes the best and fastest connecting flight from KUL to LGK via MH. This is easier compared to logging on to Air Asia's website and purchasing a seperate fare (they have to travel to the LCCT as well). And don't get me started on the complimentary flight delay or cancellation which is written all over AK's books, albeit a slight improvement now (the last time I flew Air Asia was D7 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur on premium economy, in Jan 2011).

Having spent alot of time in Australia and a few months in Europe, Westerners do fancy a sandy and tropical escape, especially during winter. Hence, the popularity of Langkawi and Penang among tourists. I'm sure many of you have roamed around these 2 islands and noticed that more tourists seem to flock there. The plus point is that MH serves these 2 destinations, among others. Unless I'm out-of-date, KLM, Lufthansa & Air France do not serve those destinations. Heck, basically no one from SkyTeam does.

It's unfortunate that I'm not involved in the aviation industry in terms of my career, and my interpretation of this issue may seem inaccurate to many, but I'm sure that MH can work its way around, even thought it's tied to an alliance. MH's entry into SkyTeam can benefit both parties. They just need to sit down, brainstorm, and then create a synergy which brings joy to both the operator and the customer.

Your frequent flyer,

Wilson.

Well.....One World (through CX) and Star Alliance (through TG) have daily flights to Penang.....

In fact Skyteam do have..through China Southern.....daily flight PEN - Guangzhou (I think) ....also China Airlines (which will enetr Sky in 2012 I believe) have daily flight to PEN

Edited by Raymund Yeoh

MH's entry into SkyTeam can benefit both parties. They just need to sit down, brainstorm, and then create a synergy which brings joy to both the operator and the customer.

Ha ha hah :lol:

You want MH people to do what ? :rolleyes:

Believe KLM don’t mind to offer code share to LGK or PEN but will MH willing to offer attractive fare to KLM, and could MH resist not to poach premium pax from KLM?

Breaking news - MAS has officially joined oneWorld!

not quite.....It will JOIN oneWorld. Takes 12-18 months to become official member.

Chance to catch a MH plane in the Oneworld livery, plane spotters! :yahoo:

Will the ONEWORLD livery first appear on the A333 or A380? Interesting times for spotters! :)