MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

I am still a bit skeptical about joining an alliance being one of the ways for MAS to survive or to take off in blue again.

An alliance have always benifited the airline(s), whatever alliance they joined B)

An alliance have always benifited the airline(s), whatever alliance they joined B)

Seconded. Well almost always anyway. Star didn't work out for Mexicana and they left to pursue codeshare deals with oneworld members. Presumably because there were too many South American airlines in Star and they were also in direct competition with UA. And Star doesnt appear to be working out for TG either as half its pax disappeared overnight after SQ joined up. But with MH you'd have none of these as it'd be the only SEA airline in ST. That's if ST has given up trying to get TG to rat on Star. But even then I think people would prefer flying MH due to its consistent and superior level of service and TG's equally inconsistent rate of fleet changes without prior notice and pissing off premium pax left wondering why they paid for J in an MD11 in the first place. Mileage earning issues aside, I'd pick MH over TG anytime even if it means an extra transit via KUL to get to Thailand.

Edited by Keith T

Pieter,

It may be that "..... an alliance have always benifited the airline(s), ....." Must also make sure the airline(s) will benefit the alliance once admitted. I reckon this is the primary reason why these alliance negotiations seem to take eternity before they allow the 'trial' period. Must be tough those negotiations

If you have Star Alliance Gold status you can always ask one of the ST airlines for a status match. The American carriers are rather generous with this. And you can then start putting miles to ur chosen ST program and access ST benefits when flying MH, like access to the MH Lounge in KUL. :D If you fly very frequently you might even have enough EQMs a year to maintain status on both programs. :) I'd advise choosing a program which doesn't have expiry dates for redeemable miles (so long as you fly once every 3 yrs anyway) so that you can take as long as you like to pile ur way to a RTW ticket in F. :D

Thanks for tip, Keith. See how it goes. I got stuck with Star Alliance because I used SQ and UA for my US outings. My next trip is to the Gulf states early April, and I'm using a mix of MH/EK/QR - none of them allied to The Star :huh: . Man, my DXB-KWI-DOH-DXB economy tickets cost a bomb too - pricier than my KUL-DXB return on MH. :angry:

.ny

Naim,

AFAIK, Qatar (QR) has some sort of cooperation with Star-Alliance: at least you can earn Qmiles on LH and UA, so I guess it reciprocal....correct me if I'm wrong...(see also www.qmiles.com)

Naim,

AFAIK, Qatar (QR) has some sort of cooperation with Star-Alliance: at least you can earn Qmiles on LH and UA, so I guess it reciprocal....correct me if I'm wrong...(see also www.qmiles.com)

Thanks Pieter, will explore that because I'm on LH program. I enrolled when I used Austrian/Lauda years back. Now that's a logo I like!

IPB Image

.ny

Wow, Miles and More - do you fly business and first a lot or something? AFAIK you need like...100k to get Senator status (Star Gold). But I suppose the double EQMs in J and triple in F help. Anyway if you would like to earn miles on the long haul sectors, why not route via SIN on SQ? Not too late to change ur flights if you're booked in a flex fare or haven't ticketed them yet. But beware of the cheap fares on SQ though (G I N O Q R T V X) as these do not earn miles, and any of your flights (even KUL-SIN) booked in these fares will render the entire itinerary ineligible for mileage accrual! :S

Edited by Keith T

It was 'the national pride' that Mas didn't join any alliance.

It is a lot more inconvenience and expensive to take Mas to or from off line cities in Europe or the USA. As not every passengers live in online cities, Mas fare from to or from Europe or the USA has to be very cheap to compete.

Apart from Japan airline which has a large domestic market, doubt any sizeable international airline can compete without joining alliance.

Again, business objectives of Mas is not necessary commercial.

That's hilarious :) , if say national, it mean the whole nation...........I think majority malaysians have no idea the exist of OneWorld, StarAlliance or SkyTeam so malaysian will never oppose the joining because who against something they don't know, right?. Most malaysians who fly, just fly not like aviation anthuatist that care every mili-second of the flight. So, I don't really see that national pride is the reason they don't join alliance. Yes, MAS is a national pride......a flag carrier :)

Just my 2 cent worth, no more, no less :)

Apart from Japan airline which has a large domestic market, doubt any sizeable international airline can compete without joining alliance.

Try Emirates and include them in the discussion! So far Emirates has managed to shun any alliance of any sort, they are expanding fast too.

Edited by S V Choong

That's hilarious :) , if say national, it mean the whole nation...........I think majority malaysians have no idea the exist of OneWorld, StarAlliance or SkyTeam so malaysian will never oppose the joining because who against something they don't know, right?. Most malaysians who fly, just fly not like aviation anthuatist that care every mili-second of the flight. So, I don't really see that national pride is the reason they don't join alliance. Yes, MAS is a national pride......a flag carrier :)

honestly i have no idea of the SA OW and ST until i use TG to Thailand where i see teh star alliance logo there :o

Star is flooded with to many ppl

ST und OW still ok tho ;)

It is a lot more inconvenience and expensive to take Mas to or from off line cities in Europe or the USA. As not every passengers live in online cities, Mas fare from to or from Europe or the USA has to be very cheap to compete.

Again, business objectives of Mas is not necessary commercial.

And even JL has conceded that an alliance is necessary - it'd become a full ow member by late 2006/early 2007.

seriously your right. some people who fly doesn't even know what type of plane they fly on, especially if you see the nerds on board.

I start to know abou alliance quiet a long time. previously i'm into Wings Alliance which CO is one of them. Wings Alliance has been defunct. WA only has 4 members, CO, NWA, KLM and Alitalia. I also remeber MH was interested to join this alliance.

Azuddin

It was the same 'national pride' that Mas is flying 777 to EWR (SQ is using 744). While this flight was routed thru DXB, it was known from day one it won't making money because of load limitation.

Likewise, the yield on LAX sector is so low that is losing over RM6 millions per month for many years but nothing is done.

Likewise, the yield on LAX sector is so low that is losing over RM6 millions per month for many years but nothing is done.

Cases like this never ceased to amaze me!

I start to know abou alliance quiet a long time. previously i'm into Wings Alliance which CO is one of them. Wings Alliance has been defunct. WA only has 4 members, CO, NWA, KLM and Alitalia. I also remeber MH was interested to join this alliance.

Do you know the 2-letter IATA code of KLM cityhopper ???

Makes you wonder........

Malaysia Airlines to start route rationalisation end March

Eventually most unprofitable routes will stay until the end of March. I really like this guy, he plans ahead. I proud of MAS who still want to stand after fall, so ambitious to beat AK and hope everything will go smoothly. What happen to MH extra planes when they cut some routes........ lease, just park, use them with less work time?

Kedah Wants Foreign Airlines To Land In Langkawi

Perhaps SQ and Russian during winter

AirAsia prepared to acquire some of MAS' assets

Some 737 pilotS will move eventually, is the pay going to be the same? Radzi, you want to work for AK :rolleyes:

Do you know the 2-letter IATA code of KLM cityhopper ???

Makes you wonder........

KLM cityhopper IATA is WA. i know, but i was talking about Wings Alliance. coincidently they the same :D . not to forget World Airways is WA by name.

Azuddin

KLM cityhopper IATA is WA. i know, but i was talking about Wings Alliance. coincidently they the same :D .

This was no coincidence, Azuddin; this was pure "business sense" if you know what I mean...unfortunately, Wings Alliance never became reality, otherwise KLM cityhopper could have made a lot of money ;)

This was no coincidence, Azuddin; this was pure "business sense" if you know what I mean...unfortunately, Wings Alliance never became reality, otherwise KLM cityhopper could have made a lot of money ;)

could you explain more about this :)

Azuddin

Since it's an official IATA code, "they" (= Wings Alliance"), in order to use the WA-code, would have to buy the "copyrights" from KLM cityhopper for an undisclosed (but I tell you) high price B) B) B) ...

Anybody know Jalas' travel plan to Paris this week? :rolleyes:

Any idea what they(AF nad MH) gonna talk about? :rolleyes:

May be Jala is going to take a lesson or two from Jean-Cyril Spinetta on how to turn around an ailing airline.

Aeroflot join the Skyteam this April.............................

Mh will join this ????????................................

No news yet from AF about MH prposals.............