MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

Walk around an airliner

Ask them to play flight simulator ..

hehe ..

Even FS is not easy

ya laaa gavin not easy. descended very late and my beech super king air gotta nose dive 2500ft per minute... :p :p . then align with rwy nicely.....thinking of a smooth landing but then........at touchdown........forgot to release landing gear....... <_>

A Boeing 787 is crz'ing at FL330.

33,000 multiply by 3 or 33 multiply3 = 99nm, so at least ,(the minimum) distance to start your descend.

BUT...this 787 flies at Mach0.82 or Mach0.84...remember, below 10,000 feet it has to fly at 250knots and somewhere around 15-20 miles to touch down around 5000feet it has to fly at 210knots.

roughly, from 310knots@M0.84 to 210knots speed reduction is required.so rule of thumb,

100 knots reduction.

At a nice nil wind condition inflight, reducing 100 knots takes about 10nm-15nm.

Add 99 with 15nm = 114nm...so roughly if a 787 flies at FL330, it has to commence its descend somewhere around 115nm or 120nm from touch down.

Try this out in a flight sim....fly at certain altitude, and see your top of descend distance.

Check progress page of DTG or Distance To Go and multiply that by 3 and then look at your altimeter.

What i normally do is...check altitude.. Let say :

30,000 = 30 * 3 = 90..add 20 = 110nm Distance to go (DTG)

20,000 = 20 * 3 = 60..add 20 = 80nm DTG

10,000 = 10 * 3 = 30..add 20 = 50nm DTG

at 5000...rule of thumb, at 210knots, a pilot must have 15nm to go.

3000.....roughly 10nm to touchdown, where a 787 must have capture Glideslope and localizer with flaps 5 and sped at flaps 5.

So remember to be a Pilot, we just need to remember to multiply altitude by 3 and get distance to go and add 10-20nm for safe margin like speed, tail wind and so on.

have a pleasant flight. :)

IPB Image

Photo quality is LOW, because i reduce the save quality to High only to reduce the file size. sorry.

Not D200 quality!!! he he he :p

Some example...

Look at number 1:

10,000 feet...so multiply by 3 = 30nm

Look at number 2:

speed reduction to 240knots or 250knots, in this case it reduces to 240knots is the default FMC speed below 10,000 feet.

Look at number 3:

It is Progress Page..look at DTG lowest line, to the left is WBGG = KCH and next to it you will see 38nm..

More distance to go is good...when you are less....you are in trouble.

Look at number 4:

VKG the VOR for KCH...it displays 37.2 DME meaning direct distance from aircraft to the VOR

Look at number 5:

18:47....i was at 02:47 local time...terrible flight SYD-KCH at this hour!!

So remember to be a Pilot, we just need to remember to multiply altitude by 3 and get distance to go and add 10-20nm for safe margin like speed, tail wind and so on.

thanx TK for the insight. my descend phase in FS has been awfully wrong!! hehehehe....

Mine aswell, but now I know and will try...thanks TK for the explanation ;)

I generally use the same formula. (Altitude X 3) + 20 to check my descend profile. I do not reduce the 20 factor for stronger headwind but however I will add 1 mile per 10 kntos of tailwind during the descend if the wind is strong. In Japan, you get up to 150kts on your ass (so I add 15 miles). So watch you IAS so you do not hit the red barber pole as well. This is all at high speed and high altitude.

Come lower I use something very simple. We called it gates.

At 10,000 feet, must be 250 knots and with 40 track miles to run.

At 6,000 feet, clean speed (about 210 knots) with 20 miles to run.

13-15 miles to run, start putting out flaps 1 and flaps 5. And reduce speed of course.

10 miles = 3,000 feet and at flap 5 speed. Then onwards intercept glideslope.

Gear down flaps 20 @ 8 miles about 2,500 feet. Flap 30 @ 7 miles, about 2000 feet.

These rule of thumb works out fine if ATC and weather is good. In this perfect world, the company will love you for saving fuel, not dragging the plane in as the plane will use almost idle power until Flap 30 is out. More often than not, you get traffic ahead to deal with, turbulent penetration speed and diversion off track and big radar vectors plus ATC levelling off requirements. Then it spoils everything. Then we have to manage it well. We always strive to do a constant decent path.

ATC sometimes really suck and keeps you real high and fast. LAX and SFO is a famous place. You maintain downwind @ 7000 feet with 210 knots. Then they cut you short and give you a 8 mile final and they thrwo you a visual approach. You will see the Pilot Flying struggling to get all the drag out (flaps and gear) and descent at the same time like a pelican diving in to get a fish beneath the waters. And ATC is fast and furious, traffic is like Christmas tree on your ND display. In LAX they line up 8 aircraft on ILS finals with a 4 mile seperation. FUN! But of course a lot of smoke on the head coming out and can see I lose so much hair in my past 4 years with more whites as well.

With regards to using VOR DME distance, I find it not so accurate unless you are coming in for a stright in approach. Best is to use track miles to touch down which is avail on PROGRESS page 2. Always do a mental calculation and do not trust your VNAV programmed path. Whoever says it is easy being a pilot......

Ask them to play flight simulator ..

hehe ..

Even FS is not easy

Yes, an aircraft with an accurate FDE..

and, thank you pilots, a lot of information here..

Edited by Mohd Idham

One thing about flying, you must be faster than the aircraft.

On lineup, you should be at top of climb already. Ay cruise altitude, you should be thinking of the next FIR boundary, then the top of descend. And at top of descend, your mind should clear a path to touchdown point at least. Relax during cruise? Yeah relaxing but at the same time all surrounding must be monitored.

There is no pause button in the real aircraft.

Yes, an aircraft with an accurate FDE..

and, thank you pilots, a lot of information here..

its not easy even in FS!

especially with sophisticated aircraft like the PMDG 747. These tips might come handy..

I always share with others these gospel truth about flying and comparing it with video games and driving.

1. No Pause Button.

2. No Crashing allowed.

3. Cannot run out of fuel.

4. You cannot stop and pull aside.

In summary, you only have one chance. And you better do it right.

how to count it, TK?

anyway, i got a simple question which i can't find it at form 6 physics reference books, 1 feet= how many metre?, 1 inch = how many cm? 1 foot=???

sorry for my ignorance, hopes some1 can help me ;)

Casio fx570ms will be your best friend with conversions T S

as for me , I always let the FMC decide my T/D and will keep an eye on my VNAV Descent page .

A question though , lets say my Vref for Flaps 40 is 140 knots , should I be at 140 knots during touchdown or below .

picture ref.

IPB Image

Thanks LeeCH. It pays to take into account all the other factors like wind direction, turbulence, position of other traffic and probably the experience level of the controller.

Wow........................................... So enlightening!!! These are what I need for a realistic FS flight!! How can I boast to others that I can "fly" airplanes when I don't get all these right??? Yes, I use the 0.3 rule, but often times I either end up too high or too low, and most of the time speedbreaks are employed... :p

Thanks, Mr. TK, Mr. Lee, and Mr. Radzi, and other contributors! :lol:

Gavin,

You should never fly below Vref at your landing flap. In practise we add five knots to Vref. Vref = Stalling speed X 1.13 at whatever landing weight that you have obtained for landing. Now you passengers will be safe.

Was reading the Ah Pek stories, and this came to mind.... some of you may have seen these before, but hey, I just got it a few days ago...!!

IPB Image

Do these messages come up on your screens???

IPB Image

A question though , lets say my Vref for Flaps 40 is 140 knots , should I be at 140 knots during touchdown or below .

maintain your Vref + 5 until over the threshold, then leave the power there and slowly pull up the nose to flare, at 10 ft RA, chop the power to idle. A smooth touchdown is guaranteed. :) Almost.

Thanks Guys

Have a another question unfortunately

I wonder why I got this warning on my PFD

IPB Image

Is there any reason why the ' Retard ' is there

P.S. : Had an engine failure