MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

You could of course be right. But have you been on a 10 abreast 777? Damn! Almost literally cannot move hahah. If MH go down that path then I'm sorry, I will always choose another flight.

Was on EK 77W SIN/BNE last month.

Ok for you - you don't take up much space width wise

Your concern is cabin height and seat pitch :p

An interesting post I stumbled upon in the parasite subforum.

MH is willing to spend USD 1.8 billion (that's approximately MYR 6,300,000,000.00) for the 6 A380s just because 'there is no turning back'?

I ask her, Why can't MAS just cancel the A380s. Even suggesting her to get some B77Ws...haha

About the 'M&M' seats...MAS staffs are against it, even she dosent like it...but one or two in the company are just so selfish and doesnt want to hear any views.

Maybe they can put 2 abreast, I mean 2 king size bed abreast. :p

The only MH route where the A380 will be a success is the KUL-LHR route. This should be the first route that MH launches on the A380.

I ask her, Why can't MAS just cancel the A380s. Even suggesting her to get some B77Ws...haha

About the 'M&M' seats...MAS staffs are against it, even she dosent like it...but one or two in the company are just so selfish and doesnt want to hear any views.

About the M&M seats, are they in all fleets or just 737 and some old A330? The current 737, they are going to retire them anyway with the new 738 soon, so changing the cushion cover just a temporary measure, don't have to spend too much money. Don't tell me they are going to use the M&M style for the new 738..

The only MH route where the A380 will be a success is the KUL-LHR route. This should be the first route that MH launches on the A380.

But wasn't MAS reporting huge losses on the KUL/LHR route a while ago ? Not really sure how are they doing now. Only know that when MAS were making money in the last few quarters, a huge chunk of the profit came from domestic routes. International routes aren't really profitable for MAS :pardon:

Really MAS making losses on their KUL-LHR route?? I am not sure about a few years ago but i am sure that within these 2 years it is probably their most profitable route. I usually travel this route every 2 months and every time i am on the flight first, golden club and economy is packed sometimes with first and golden club overbooked..

Really MAS making losses on their KUL-LHR route?? I am not sure about a few years ago but i am sure that within these 2 years it is probably their most profitable route. I usually travel this route every 2 months and every time i am on the flight first, golden club and economy is packed sometimes with first and golden club overbooked..

High load, low yield, maybe??

Just guessing though. :p

Heard that too. So when MH raise the fare to LHR some quarters expressed concern that they may not be able to compete.

It is kinda strange how MH tagged LHR and SYD as their flagship route and yet they are not able to sustain the route where else EK, SQ and many others can make the route work and be totally profitable with high yields and etc, never mind the pax numbers. I should think that the conclusion of this should be connected to the previous management of the airline which was indeed not productive and business minded, instead they were pelasing everyone possible and the heavy discounts they had to give to certain officials, more like how TG works. As a result, we have seen a downfall of MH over the recent years but I am convinced that IJ has done a great deal for the airline, although people claim the profits come from the sale of the MAS building and cutting cost and etc, I think he did a great job managing what he was dumped with given the fact that he was brought in at a crucial time when MH was in a terrible mess. Nevertheless, SQ which is very business minded yet it has loyal customers who are very pleased with their services and connections, which MH often fails to compete with. I guess what MH is doing now is what SQ did many years ago, before KLIA was born. If our leaders had realised this way before about the potentials we had and tapped on it instead of protecting MH , we would be what Changi is today with no doubt, we had the infrastructure, the space and also the ideas.

Sustaining any routes in Europe and USA seems to be a challenge these days with competitive fares by other airlines which are equally good or better than MH. Their Australian network is going to the drains soon, and I don't think AK is the only reason for this. Airlines such as EK, EY, QR, CX and even TG and GA these days are having a much bigger share than MH to Australasia, which is the beginning of the downfall of our national pride.

Back to the topic, I would think that the A380's may be a waste after all, unless MH can come up with something special and if the MoT can stop protecting MH and focus on expanding KLIA to the world. It can be done with the right mindset and planning.

Yes. They did. Not sure if it is profitable now but according to a press release in 2007, MAS said that only a few of their international are actually making money and most of the net profits actually came from domestic routes. MAS however, did not reveal the profitable international routes to the public.

Remember MAN ? The newspaper were reporting that MAN needs to be 140% full (impossible i know) just to break-even. Can you imagine that ? LOL !

Yes. They did. Not sure if it is profitable now but according to a press release in 2007, MAS said that only a few of their international are actually making money and most of the net profits actually came from domestic routes. MAS however, did not reveal the profitable international routes to the public.

Remember MAN ? The newspaper were reporting that MAN needs to be 140% full (impossible i know) just to break-even. Can you imagine that ? LOL !

The cost is too high. Maybe they should start serving snekbox instead. :p

I guess what MH is doing now is what SQ did many years ago, before KLIA was born

I don't recall SQ ever dished out 90+% approved, healthy snek-boks nor slash prices to zero-fare levels to compete 'effectively' against LCC models; neither during pre-KLIA era nor during these turbulent times :p

Well, SQ management people better sit up and pay a bit of attention as to what a five starred competitor up north is up to (preferably right after they pick themselves up from rolling with laughter on the floor) ;)

But wasn't MAS reporting huge losses on the KUL/LHR route a while ago ? Not really sure how are they doing now. Only know that when MAS were making money in the last few quarters, a huge chunk of the profit came from domestic routes. International routes aren't really profitable for MAS :pardon:

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Interntational routes covering for the losses of domestic routes? At least, that's what I've always assumed.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Interntational routes covering for the losses of domestic routes? At least, that's what I've always assumed.

Nope, it was domestic that was subsidizing international routes.

:drinks:

But would that fact ever be openly acknowledged ?

And if so, how to squeeze for subsidies from gahmen ?

It's all in the name of national interest remember ?

;)

:drinks:

Good thing is that MAS is not SIA, who has no domestic flights to cover their asses :lol:

..... to cover their asses :lol:

I think you meant ars..... :)

An ass = donkey, largely innocent but much maligned creature I understand :D

But didn't SQ asked their staff to go on long unpaid leave?

I think you meant ars..... :)

An ass = donkey, largely innocent but much maligned creature I understand :D

type arse at first, but the board said the spelling is incorrect :pardon: So i decided to go for the infomal American English instead - ass :lol:

It is 16 months away from January 2011 but there is still no news at all about MH's first A380. Hello MH's A380 marketing team, tido ke?

SQ rolled out their coveted 'First to Fly the A380' worldwide campaign in January 2005, 34 months before the first ever A380 flight from SIN into SYD took off on 25 October 2007 (including the delay time incurred by Airbus). The campaign was initially going to last for 15 months only since the initial targetted date for the first flight was somewhere during the second quarter of 2006.

Or this is a sign that MH may defer again the delivery date? MH was first expected to operate the A380s in 2007 before the delay problem in the Airbus flightline occured. The delivery date was rescheduled to 2 years later, before MH made a deferment of the delivery to 2011 (from January to August for all the 6 aircrafts).

It is 16 months away from January 2011 but there is still no news at all about MH's first A380. Hello MH's A380 marketing team, tido ke?

SQ rolled out their coveted 'First to Fly the A380' worldwide campaign in January 2005, 34 months before the first ever A380 flight from SIN into SYD took off on 25 October 2007 (including the delay time incurred by Airbus). The campaign was initially going to last for 15 months only since the initial targetted date for the first flight was somewhere during the second quarter of 2006.

Or this is a sign that MH may defer again the delivery date? MH was first expected to operate the A380s in 2007 before the delay problem in the Airbus flightline occured. The delivery date was rescheduled to 2 years later, before MH made a deferment of the delivery to 2011 (from January to August for all the 6 aircrafts).

off my head,

1) Not being the launch customer for the A380, and with 3 other airlines already flying it routinely, there's nothing left to hoot about.

2) Maybe working on a new cabin concept ? :pardon:

3) Or it could just be Airbus who can't provide a reliable ETA.

IMHO, the SQ A380 campaign was much too gaudy. was there really a point in hanging a 1/50 SQ A380 model in Heathrow T3 ? Having a new plane won't automatically persuade the masses to switch carrier either way.

Aziz,

you are probably dredging up something the MH management do not wish to deal with at the moment. There is a very REAL concern where to deploy these GIGANTIC whalejets when they arrive. 3x daily KUL-LHR was unsustainable in rosy times which could only mean one thing - OVER CAPACITY. Now with the A380, you have an extra 200+ seats per flight which would probably even out to cancelling 3 or 4 of the 2nd LHR flight in a week.

It is a tough risk but I am think perhaps the MH gang has a product to blow the competition out of the water to get people to fill up the seats... and these are probably people who would be willing to spend on a premium product from YCL all the way up front.

MH has many challenges ahead of them because they do not belong to an alliance therefore it would be tough to poach newbies. They cannot do a EY/EK/QR (great product + competitive price) because it would bring them back to square one.

The only OZ destination in the meantime which can support a 3 class service at present is SYD and even that is shaky at the moment.

So where to fly this fleet of whalejets? Where? Where? Where?