MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
adrianqcs

Help me identify the aircraft in this 1984 picture

Wonderful pics you have there Nik.

Thats a lot of F-27 lined up. That would have been Gate 6 at BKI with a walking ramp for boarding the Fokkers and Twin Otter flights. Captain, I won't be surprised if you have piloted one of my F-27 flights which I have taken frequently to BKI during my childhood from TWU.

One should just take a look at the vehicles needed to service an F-27... seems a lot more than a 737!

By the way, why is there a exhaust hole at the end of the F-27, if no APU was installed? Is it for something else? And if there's no hole on the F-50, where do they install the APU then?

Yeah, BKI T1 25 years ago - man, has it been that long ?! The terminal must have been spanking new when that pic was taken. Now it's scheduled for partial demolition soon !

The new terminal of BKI (currently T1) was opened in 1982? Sounds about right I would say. Can't believe it has been that long thats all.

Nik, hopefully my request not too undue. did you mind to share your videos with us? either under Observation hill or Aviation Collectibles sub-forum.

Another topic about the DC-10 would be nice!! ;)

Nik, hopefully my request not too undue. did you mind to share your videos with us? either under Observation hill or Aviation Collectibles sub-forum. :drinks:

Not at all. The video will be posted soon. I'll have to reedit it as the F27 clips are part of a 50 minute video journal of the life of a F27 pilot based in BKI. Include are clips of what the pilots do in their free time, hobbies and outdoor activities. The videos were mostly shot more than 20 years ago and some contents may bore viewers here. Besides, there' no way I can post a 50 minute clip on the net, 10 minutes is all that most video hosting sites will allow.

SV Wrote

By the way, why is there a exhaust hole at the end of the F-27, if no APU was installed? Is it for something else? And if there's no hole on the F-50, where do they install the APU then?

The hole is for the air-con/pressurization exhaust. The APU for the F50 is installed in the rear nacelle section of one of the engines.

As you may well know, the F27 uses a Rolls Royce Dart which has a centrifugal compressor while the F50 is a free turbine Pratt engine based on the PT6 design.

Thanks Captain Nik. I suppose the F-27 has considerable shorter range than the F-50s?

Look forward to your video of the F-27 Friendship.

This is a timeless thread. Thanks Capt Nik. Hope to read more classics and enjoy those lovely pics. My parents would have been frequent travellers in those F27s in the early 70s travelling between Sandakan and KK. I probably flew in them also then, i should imagine in 73/74. But most pics my late father took of me was inside the plane. Alas, we have Capt Nik for pics outside. Thanks Capt Nik.

Not at all. The video will be posted soon. I'll have to reedit it as the F27 clips are part of a 50 minute video journal of the life of a F27 pilot based in BKI. Include are clips of what the pilots do in their free time, hobbies and outdoor activities. The videos were mostly shot more than 20 years ago and some contents may bore viewers here. Besides, there' no way I can post a 50 minute clip on the net, 10 minutes is all that most video hosting sites will allow.

can't wait for the video... :D

thanks in advance. hope to see more collection from you. :drinks: maybe do some small business? burn into cd's and sell it. lolz...

..Besides, there' no way I can post a 50 minute clip on the net, 10 minutes is all that most video hosting sites will allow.

for the sake of our fellow enthusiasts(including me!), i don't mind hosting it on my hosting. i've got ample space and transfer. let me know if you need it sir.

I've watched it!!!!

I almost ej**u**t*d!

Thanks Cik Nik Huzlan!!!! :yahoo:

Nik,

Your clip reminded me of SZB, over klang, down the west coast into MKZ and then down to JBH on an F27. It was truly a wonderful sight.

Thanks man. Bila nak breakfast lagi....?

Edited by Mohd Saat

OMG :ninja: ...your clip simply just took my breath away Nik.

really appreciate the clip ...thanks so much for sharing :good:

the scene which F27 took off from runway 02 simply is very nostalgic....well..i am speechless ...

once again thanks nik :clapping: :drinks:

Thanks for the clip Nik, enjoyed it thoroughly.

I wonder if the F27-Mk.500 had employed a higher spec RR Dart, as the Fokker prototype does not have such a high pitch sound, if you conduct a check at Youtube.

Absolutely fantastic to watch! I wasn't even born at the time, but i sure would love to see one of those babies in action!

I remeber flying to BKI late last year. The approach was absolutely jaw dropping. I was smiling all the was down. Am looking forward to the next time I return to KK. I want to see that approach again - FSX is nowhere good enough.

Dear Captain,

If you want to post longer videos, just contact me pls... I can host them on my server, in the same video format as youtube does....But no time restriction here. Can of course also do the conversion from any video format.

Cheers

Georg

Dear Captain,

If you want to post longer videos, just contact me pls... I can host them on my server, in the same video format as youtube does....But no time restriction here. Can of course also do the conversion from any video format.

Cheers

Georg

Georg, thanks for the offer. I 've got 15 minute clips of Lima '95 and Lima '03 where the Red Arrows performed. I also have two more clips of Airshows at Sempang Base where a classmate of mine did aeros in a MS3 piston trainer. Just bear in mind that the videos are basically of the same quality as the one I paosted, ie using cheap equipment and edited on home PC.

Please PM me details of how to go about posting the video at your site.

Regarsd

Nik H.

Capt Nik, nice video! Reminds me of my Fokker 50 days...even the flight ops looks exactly the same. Just like the good old days...hehe...

Here's a short clip of the F27 on a morning flight from BKI to LDU, a 55 min block time flight. As there are not much facilities there, we do transit with one engine running.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCs6X0-O5Kw

Cheers.

Nik H.

your vid make me almost speechless. To be honest I was not even born back then, my parents were not married back then, and our house (which is near BKI T1) was not exist yet. KK back then sure small...

Wah, Nik, excellent video of the "Dutch Lady" !!!

Great sequence of trip-shots from boarding to departing to take-off and en-route, to landing and arriving (both at LDU and BKI)...great shots of BKI airport too; not many changes noticable (till situation of about two years ago)...

Are crews still dropped-off at the residence nowadays ? Good service, btw !!! :blink:

Looking forward to more of your videos: just LOVE it !!! :drinks:

Are crews still dropped-off at the residence nowadays ?

I doubt it, haven't seen those MAS liveried vans transporting kebaya clad ladies around town for a while already. Come to think of it, are there still any night stops at BKI ?

Hopefully MH flying crew here can clarify :)

Cpt Nik,

Thanks for sharing your 'flying career history'. I could only imagine the experience you have gone thru from F-27 to 777.

Automation in modern jet not only 'mask' our deficiency but also make it difficult for 'younger generation' of pilots to achieve 'old timer' handling skills.

It's even more difficult for us who start our flying career with certain airliners that do not even have narrow-body aircraft, let alone propeller. I guess someone would say I'm lucky to fly wide body as my first commercial plane and others would say I miss certain level of 'experience' that come with less advanced aircraft.

Given a chance, personally I would prefer to have typical MAS career advancement from narrow body to wide body. Only if MAS accept me back in 1991....

Rudy, You may have missed the 'fun' of experiencing the Props and aircraft where basic flying skills count as much as the ability to manipulate automation well.

But when you consider the financial angle of the whole scheme, you started earning big bucks early in your career and the path to financial freedom is easier achieved.

I don;t know to what level the experience of flying basic aircraft is relevant in operating the advanced ones we fly now. I have flown with pilots who are ex training school direct to jets, and pilots who flown all types of singles and turboprops both as captain and as copilot. Frankly, I think people like you have more relevant skills as those with experience on varying types of aircraft have to go to various levels of adaptation to fly automated jets.

Some have to unlearn certain skills they acquired in their formative years. Those, who like you, who have never touched the smaller types take to automation like fish takes to water.

Sometimes i wonder at the relevance of training newbies on basic stall recovery knowing that the planes they are to fly will never allow such maneuver in the first place, even if you wanna do it on purpose.

Wow... that does really bring back the memory when my family were taking a F27 from Tawau to BKI connecting to Singapore... I like the sound of the prop. Since F27 was flying not as high as 734, dad were able to tell me what's on ground :) .... thumbs up :clapping:

F27 alright.

I have about 2000 hours on it, flying the Sabah / Sarawak route from 1982 to 1987. The F27 network covers BKI, SDK, LDU, TWU, LBU, BSB, MYY, BTU, SBW and KCH.

A real pilots aeroplane, none of the automation available today. The autopilot is so basic that it does not have an altitude capture function. There is no VNAV, and although the roll channel tracks VOR/LOC, no one uses it as it frequently induces level hunting. The WX radar is monochrome. On the ground, the cockpit window seals are known to leak during heavy rain.

The aircraft flies at the most adventurous Flight Levels, 12 - 20,000, where CBs are born before pouring rain onto the surface of the earth. Airfame DeIce is by using oots and its such a thrill to operate and amazing to see the leading edge expand and contract like an accordion.

The RR Dart engine needs pampering to avoid hot starts especially in a tailwind condition. The brakes are pneumatically operated and if used poorly will sound like a cymbal in a funeral procession. The ABS by Maxaret was mechanical in nature.

Unlike today's aircraft where poor piloting skills are masked by the aircraft automation, passengers those days know how good you are by the way you manage the pressuriszation, cabin temp, prop sync, brake management on roll-out, and of course landing. Dowty designed the landing gear to be damn tough, and damn tough it is. However its not to friendly to pilots who flare poorly, especially with a light load.

Despite all that, I :wub: love :wub: this aircraft, it is rewarding to fly, full of character, talks to you via its prop sound, engine whine, controls directly linked via pulleys, unlike the current crop of airliners that are technical marvels but generally without soul, which communicates with you via cold LCDs and CRTs.

Capt.Nik,what an awesome footages and photos :clapping:

Thanks for sharing with us here in MWings :drinks:

Sign in to follow this