MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

Airbus To Compensate MAS For Delay In Delivery Of A380 Superjumbo

Airbus To Compensate MAS For Delay In Delivery Of A380 Superjumbo

April 23, 2007 19:48 PM E-mail this news to a friend Printable version of this news

KUALA LUMPUR, April 23 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will be compensated for the delay in the delivery of the Airbus A380 superjumbo aircraft it ordered in 2003, Airbus's chief operating officer for customers, John Leahy said Monday.

The delay issues have been sorted out with Singapore Airlines, Qantas and Korean Air, "We are now trying to finalise things with Malaysia Airlines," he said.

MAS had ordered six Airbus A380 valued at US$1.8 billion at list prices with the first delivery to have started early 2007.

Under a revised schedule, MAS would receive the first A380 in late 2009.

"Absolutely, there will be some compensation for them (MAS). We have to come up with the date when they want the aircraft, then we will look at it (the quantum of compensation to be given for the delay in delivery)," he said when asked by reporters after the signing of an agreement with Fly Asian Xpress, which is ordering 10 A330-300s with an option for five.

He also said the there were no cancellations from MAS for the orders.

"I don't see any indication that they (MAS) wouldn't be taking the aircraft. We just need to put in the dates," he said.

He said discussion were on-going with MAS on the date of delivery and compensation, which is expected to be sorted out in the next couple of months.

MAS, in a statement confirmed that the discussions were still on-going.

"We are having on-going discussions with Airbus on the compensation and the new delivery date. No decision has been made yet," said MAS.

-- BERNAMA

but i actually really hope MAS got their own a380..how cool is tat.....superjumbo parking at terminal c...hehe

"I don't see any indication that they (MAS) wouldn't be taking the aircraft [...]"

This is a very diplomatic way of saying it and covers the possibility of MH eventually cancelling it or changing the order to, say, 320s or 350XWBs. Leahy did not say that MH will be taking delivery of it nor did he say MH will not be cancelling the order. So, nothing new really.

but i actually really hope MAS got their own a380..how cool is tat.....superjumbo parking at terminal c...hehe

Looks good on the fleet list, but not really the accounts. *bleeding* And ops, well, if they could fully utilise it and fill up the seats. :rolleyes:

Looks good on the fleet list, but not really the accounts. *bleeding* And ops, well, if they could fully utilise it and fill up the seats. :rolleyes:

when there is will there is way ..hehe..it is just my opinion la...yeah i do also agree with the account part of urs...but i guess if they eventually got the plane...the will find a way to fill it up...

Some 'positive' A380 news:

Airbus: A380 program 'on track,' 20 new orders possible this year

Thursday April 26, 2007

The first A380 designated for launch customer Singapore Airlines is "in the paint shop" and on schedule for an October delivery, a sign that the troubled aircraft program finally is progressing normally, Airbus executives said.

"The situation is under control," Executive VP-A380 Program Mario Heinen insisted yesterday at the company's annual Technical Press Briefing in Toulouse. COO-Customers John Leahy projected 20 new A380 orders this year from 4-5 airlines/lessors. "They want the [production slots]. They want to get into the queue," he said, adding that he is in discussions with British Airways about a potential order and believes "they'll come to the party sooner rather than later."

There currently are 156 firm A380 orders from 14 customers. Leahy revealed that Airbus is surprised no customers for the passenger version cancelled their orders given extensive production delays that have pushed back deliveries two years or more. "All of them have the right to walk away," he explained. "They're mad. They're unhappy. But they don't want to give up their slots. Passenger airlines are sticking with the program and trying to get their aircraft even earlier."

But the freighter version has been "delayed" until at least 2014, with 1,500 engineers shifted from freighter production to the passenger version. "Because most of the demand was on the passenger side, we wanted to focus our engineering resources on the passenger version, much to the chagrin of FedEx and UPS," Leahy said, noting that the US cargo carriers cancelled orders when informed they would not receive A380Fs until at least 2012. "We made a decision to sacrifice our freighter customers for the passenger version."

and................................

A380 To Fly To India For Kingfisher Airlines

April 26, 2007

The Airbus A380 superjumbo aircraft will arrive in Indian skies next month on a promotional flight for Kingfisher Airlines, the carrier said on Thursday.

The A380, plagued by delays, is scheduled to visit Mumbai and New Delhi from May 7 to May 10 for Kingfisher's second anniversary celebrations, according to a statement.

Kingfisher, owned by India's UB Group which controls the top brewer and spirits maker, has placed a firm order for five A380 aircraft and has an option for five more.

India's main airports are bursting at the seams with newly-launched airlines and a sharp surge in passenger and freight traffic in a booming economy, but a spokesman for Mumbai Airport said the financial hub could handle the aircraft.

"The airport is perfectly capable of handling the A380 now," said a spokesman for Mumbai International Airport. "And by the time the aircraft are delivered and begin flying to India, we will have a new terminal with special facilities for parking and handling the large number of passengers," he said.

Airbus, part of the EADS group, expects Indian firms to place orders for 1,100 passenger and freighter aircraft valued at about USD$105 billion over 20 years.

(Reuters)

Guess Airbus would rather pay compensation than lose the orders - at least they don't have to re-sell the products to new customers (just keep the old customers, pay them some $$$ and keep them in the queue). :pardon:

Guess Airbus would rather pay compensation than lose the orders - at least they don't have to re-sell the products to new customers (just keep the old customers, pay them some $$$ and keep them in the queue). :pardon:

Yeah. Maybe like a free a320 for every 5 orders of delayed a380 delivery....hehe... like selling kueh....

As the actual purchaser is PMB, I wonder if leasing to another party is being considered if MH does not take delivery of the 380s? Also, in such a scenario, PMB will still have committed to taking delivery of the 380s - just leasing them out to other airlines which can't wait & do need them (say, CX, BA etc whatever), but at the same time, PMB can still benefit from compensation-discounts for the 380 delays and use these for, say, new 320s for MH.

Yeah. Maybe like a free a320 for every 5 orders of delayed a380 delivery....hehe... like selling kueh....

haha...like selling kueh summore adrian..y u neva mention they will free a320 plus some freebies...ppl like foc stuff....hehehee :rofl:

hmmm me thinks that with the recent A380 modifications at C17 nearly complete, and the 14R/32L runway complete and with the RFP to Airbus and Boeing for a narrow body order, we could be seeing a visit by the A380 to KUL again to try out the airports new features and equipment!! Would most probably also be accompanied by a very enthusiastic John Leahy. PR at its best, wouldn't you say?? Anyway, this is PURELY theoretical.. it's not even a rumour.. so don't quote me.. just felt like posting something :)

hmmm me thinks that with the recent A380 modifications at C17 nearly complete, and the 14R/32L runway complete and with the RFP to Airbus and Boeing for a narrow body order, we could be seeing a visit by the A380 to KUL again to try out the airports new features and equipment!! Would most probably also be accompanied by a very enthusiastic John Leahy. PR at its best, wouldn't you say?? Anyway, this is PURELY theoretical.. it's not even a rumour.. so don't quote me.. just felt like posting something :)

hope this will materialized...it would be awesome to watch this huge airbus docking at C17 with my own eyes... :rolleyes:

..... Would most probably also be accompanied by a very enthusiastic John Leahy .....

This is a billion dollar deal salesman. If he doesn't look enthusiastic, better not start the day !!

If they come, we will shoot.....

As the actual purchaser is PMB, I wonder if leasing to another party is being considered if MH does not take delivery of the 380s? Also, in such a scenario, PMB will still have committed to taking delivery of the 380s - just leasing them out to other airlines which can't wait & do need them (say, CX, BA etc whatever), but at the same time, PMB can still benefit from compensation-discounts for the 380 delays and use these for, say, new 320s for MH.

Well there's Airasia Long Haul... imagine flying with 800 people...All economy class...

Well there's Airasia Long Haul... imagine flying with 800 people...All economy class...

i dun think mr tony f will even consider it..hehehe..a380 is too expensive for him and ak of course....

Edited by Louis L.

..... 380 is too expensive for him and ak of course .....

Wrong generalization - if a piece of equipment is suitable for the operator's requirements and he/she is likely to be able to make a profit from utilising that piece of equipment, you can bet there will be financiers willing to furnish the necessary financing ! :)

A380 is affordable to any airline really, depends on how it is finance and who you can convince to invest into the company and become a shareholder (which is the hardest part).

Considering the duration from which TF took control of AK, AK will be flying 100 X or so A320. Thats really impressive. FAX, a subsidiary of AK, has also acquired 10+5 X A330. Give Tony a bit of time to strengthen his claws in Asia, the A380 shouldn't be too far away! ;)

Airbus Still In Talks With Malaysia Airlines On A380 Compensation

May 30, 2007 15:20 PM E-mail this news to a friend Printable version of this news

KUALA LUMPUR, May 30 (Bernama) -- Airbus is still in talks with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) on compensation for the delay in delivery of the A380 superjumbo aircraft.

"We are still talking with Malaysia Airlines. It is still ongoing," said Airbus spokesman Anthony Phillip at the Airbus A350XWB media briefing here today.

However, he declined further comment.

MAS had ordered six Airbus A380 valued at US$1.8 billion at list prices in 2003 with the first delivery scheduled in early 2007.

The national carrier will be compensated for the delay, Airbus chief operating officer for customers, John Leahy, said last month.

Airbus was now trying to finalise discussions with MAS while the delay issues have been sorted out with Singapore Airlines, Qantas and Korean Air, Leahy said.

"Absolutely, there will be some compensation for them (MAS). We have to come up with the date when they want the aircraft, then we will look at it (the quantum of compensation for the delay in delivery)," he said.

He noted that there was no cancellation by MAS for the order.

Leahy said that discussions were ongoing with MAS on the date of delivery and compensation, which is expected to be resolved in the coming months.

MAS managing director Idris Jala noted that discussions on the matter were still ongoing.

"We are having ongoing discussions with Airbus," he said at a press conference after announcing the company's results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2007, last Monday.

Under a revised schedule, MAS will receive the first A380 aircraft in late 2009.

-- BERNAMA

Of course they're still talking, as the compensation will probably be tied in to any future aircraft purchases (at least Airbus will probably want to sway it at that direction).

lol.i think there is too many airbus in the air now...we need some boeing aircraft in the SEA region..787 would be a good since there isn't anyone ordering it yet( good for the airplane hunters).

Who knows maybe SIA is planning for it? ummmmmm......compensation?maybe more 380's?i think they might consider to purchase more units since they are phasing out their 747's one by one and remember that the new 747's that they received last year was suppose to be a passenger unit but they changed it to a freighter unit.The number of 747 have been reduced from 17 to 11 so that is pretty much of a sign and the idea of MH intending to buy 55 wide body + 55 narrow body aircraft.=)

Airbus better work hard double time...

they might "double" the unit for the price of one.lol

787 would be a good since there isn't anyone ordering it yet( good for the airplane hunters).

Who knows maybe SIA is planning for it?

SQ has orders and options for 40 787s (can't remember which variant).