MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sandeep G

Malaysian Airport Infrastructure Development News

Hi guys,

with the recently announced public splurge on Airport infrastructure and the global expansion of MAHB, I thought it proper to start a little thread with news on any contracts or news regarding airport infrastructure whether it be new developments, maintenance contracts, Duty Free concession news, terminal expansions, cargo expansions and other airport associated ventures.

To start off:

Malaysia Airports Holdidngs Bhd awarded Syarikat Pembenaan Fajar Baru (Rembau), a subsidiary of Fajar Baru Capital, a USD7.4 million contract to upgrade Penang International Airport’s apron area (Asia Pulse, 01-Dec-06). The project is expected to be completed by 06-Dec-08.

Source: CAPA

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) announced it is seeking to introduce a passenger security surcharge, as well as an increase in landing and parking charges, subject to government approval (The Star, 30-Nov-06).

Source: CAPA

Edited by Sandeep G

this syarikat Pembinaan Fajar also did our very own LCCT at KUL...

this syarikat Pembinaan Fajar also did our very own LCCT at KUL...

Hope the concrete doesn't fly away :pardon:

Great thread Sandeep, we need to be inform with Malaysian Airport renovation etc.

MAHB, increasing the charge......I dun think that's a good idea! More security charges, what else they can add? Detector before before to the check in hall. Security enough already! Invent money on something leisure that can be done at the airport ;) Ppl at the MAHB do know well to spend the money <_>

Wanna share something that i get from Malaysia IBS International Exhibition organize by CIDB a few week ago....

Look Like The Nice Kuala Terengganu Airport Expension construction already started.. :good:

IPB Image

IPB Image

An optimistic look at MAHB from CAPA despite lower profits (against higher revenues) thus far this year. Looks like overstaffing is a problem at MAHB too.. low employee productivity. I wonder if anyone told them that if they had a highly productive and smaller workforce, they could afford to pay more and attract the best?

MAHB’s profit falls but opportunities abound.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), operator of 38 airports in Malaysia, including Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), reported a 26.4% year-on-year fall in net profit in the nine months ended 30-Sep-06. Total revenues were up 2.5%.

MAHB’s airport services division (which accounts for 63% of total revenue) continued to contribute significantly. Within this segment, EBITDA fell 10.9%, reflecting a 26.8% reduction in other operating income. Total income per passenger also fell 5.3%, while total income per employee fell 18.6%, reflecting a 19.6% increase in staff numbers.

MAHB’s high reliance on the airport services segment makes it dependent on passenger numbers, which rose a mild 2.8% in the period. Demand is difficult to forecast following the domestic route rationalisation policy introduced by the Malaysian Government in Aug-06. On the other hand, the Government’s efforts to liberalise Malaysian skies, including plans to sign a multilateral air services agreement allowing unlimited frequencies and schedules between 13 cities with Brunei, Indonesia and the Philippines, could mean extra flows of passengers for MAHB’s airports.

Other positive developments for MAHB include a retail optimisation programme for KLIA’s satellite terminal, with the creation of extra retail outlets in 2007, expected to boost MAHB’s retail revenues to at least 50%.

Meanwhile, MAHB has been very active in pursuing opportunities for further growth outside Malaysia. It is already present in India, developing the New Hyderabad International Airport with GMR and as part of a consortium modernising New Delhi International Airport. MAHB has also recently submitted bids to manage airports in the rapidly expanding Middle East, including Jeddah International Airport and Amman Queen Alia International Airport.

Source: Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, Airport Business Daily

Edited by Sandeep G

Just to share a few pics of Labuan airport when we passed through last week - goodness knows the actual need for an upgrade of LBU !!

IPB Image

view from the runway

IPB Image

after we had parked, quite extensive works you must agree

and at KUL, they are busy getting ready for the whale when (if ?) it enters airline service

IPB Image

BC,

Is that "Radzi's" famous N179T on the extremely left of your LBU picture ? :huh: :)

That's an interesting way, how they built that Hangar btw !!!

MAHB mentioned today that a new international wing will be built next year for the LCCT at KLIA, to cater for the expanding pax.

Good job at wasting more money MAHB.......good job :good:

while we are on the topics...

It would be best if we could discuss on how to improve KUL to become a major hub in South East Asia.. compile it into a booklet.. and send petition to MAHB and Transport Minister...

:rolleyes: Right now i dont have one. but i believe everybody here have some ideas... and view from International MWinger such as Uncle Pieter is much appreciated.. such that he can bring ideas of what being practice at AMS but not yet a norm in KUL..

Good job at wasting more money MAHB.......good job :good:

Care to share why you think it will be a waste of money given that the LCCT is already quite packed & will reach design capacity by next year?

Care to share why you think it will be a waste of money given that the LCCT is already quite packed & will reach design capacity by next year?

LCCT will reach its design capacity next year at peak hours only.

Upgrading airports like TGG, KBR, LBU, etc are unnecessary. As these airports aren’t not going to reach their design capacity in the next 5 years. These projects were created to fill some well connected people’s pocket.

To promote KUL as a regional hub is not a job MAB can handle alone. Even with free landing fees, few foreign carriers except ME carriers included KUL in their network.

Since AK is based at KUL, it makes more sense to promote KUL as the regional LCC hub. However, pride, face and Malaysia B…h spirit may prevent this to happen.

:drinks:

LCCT will reach its design capacity next year at peak hours only.

Upgrading airports like TGG, KBR, LBU, etc are unnecessary. As these airports aren’t not going to reach their design capacity in the next 5 years. These projects were created to fill some well connected people’s pocket.

To promote KUL as a regional hub is not a job MAB can handle alone. Even with free landing fees, few foreign carriers except ME carriers included KUL in their network.

Since AK is based at KUL, it makes more sense to promote KUL as the regional LCC hub. However, pride, face and Malaysia B…h spirit may prevent this to happen.

I think it is pretty obvious that max capacity of LCCT will be reached during peak hours - just like saying water is snyonymous with wetness. And obviously, the capacity will have to be expanded to cater for such situations, which as you have indicated, is a genuine need.

All else that you have said above has nothing to do with what you originally said that expanding the LCCT at KUL is a waste of MAB's money, nor do they support your specific comment on this.

Paradoxically, at the end, you said that KUL should be promoted as the regional LCC hub given that AK is based at KUL - yet, you indicated that putting in money into the LCCT to expand its capacity is a wasteful.

So, which is which - you have to make up your mind.

I think one item some airports like KUL would need is a change of seats for passangers and well-wishers at the terminal building. The seats which have fabric cover over some kind of padding (sponge?) easily absorbs fluids and result in disgusting stains. I think some of these stains are bodily fluids!

The seats at JHB are nice, and could be adopted by MAHB-run airports. Picture below.

IPB Image

I think it is pretty obvious that max capacity of LCCT will be reached during peak hours - just like saying water is snyonymous with wetness. And obviously, the capacity will have to be expanded to cater for such situations, which as you have indicated, is a genuine need.

All else that you have said above has nothing to do with what you originally said that expanding the LCCT at KUL is a waste of MAB's money, nor do they support your specific comment on this.

Paradoxically, at the end, you said that KUL should be promoted as the regional LCC hub given that AK is based at KUL - yet, you indicated that putting in money into the LCCT to expand its capacity is a wasteful.

I think what he means is that the present LCCT is meant to be temporary only,just to outdo SIN in the race to be the 1st with LCC terminal. So to expand on it makes little sense. What MAB needs to do now is to plan for a proper LCCT,not just a temporary one. Or KLIA's devt in the future would be chaotic.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

I wrote ‘Upgrading airports like TGG, KBR, LBU, etc are unnecessary’, nothing is mentioned of LCCT at KUL.

LCCT may be operating at its hourly capacity during peak hours but may still below its day (24 hours) capacity. Whether the design capacity is reached in this situation is depending on how you count the numbers.

Actually, the international departure hall at LCCT is operating at its limit during peak hours. Someone has got his estimate wrong big time. Hence, need expansion within 2 years of operation.

Believe MAB will replace cushion seats at LCCT with hard plastic seats to reduce maintenance.

I don’t believe LCCT is temporary; it will be here in 5 years time.

Edited by KK Lee

I don’t believe LCCT is temporary; it will be here in 5 years time.

I do agree with the point KK mentioned. With the plan of expanding the railway into LCCT next year, i don't think LCCT will moved to the "proper one" in years or they have already changed their plan to make it the permanent LCCT with some expansion work planned for future. What we need is more airline to serve the AK dominated LCCT :p

my 2 cent :lol:

It is supposed to be temporary,as the land it presently occupies is for future expansion for MASKargo. But with the recent expansion news for the gudang/LCCT (railway link,international wing), it is not clear where MAB stands now. :mellow:

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

LCCT International wing will be expanded, so I guess that fenceline view between the LCCT and KLAS Cargo Complex will soon dissappear... however.. with the expansion of the LCCT Apron (Domestic side) and the International component of the terminal..... will there be additional carparking???

..... however.. with the expansion of the LCCT Apron (Domestic side) and the International component of the terminal..... will there be additional carparking???

We Malaysian, no need to bother with such triviality. How else are we supposed to express our creativity in car parking innovations ?! :pardon:

Latest news on BKI LCCT...here's the LINK

Terminal 2 ready on Jan.1

13 December, 2006

Kota Kinabalu: The new Terminal Two in Tanjung Aru will be commissioned by Jan. 1 next year, as promised by the contractor Global Upline Sdn Bhd at the start of the re-development project in May this year.

131206la.jpg

Global Upline Adviser Tan Sri Ting Pek Khing said they planned to complete the new building by Dec. 31 for it to be ready for operation by Jan. 1, to coincide with the commencement of the Visit Malaysia Year.

Speaking to reporters when visiting the project site together with Global Upline Chairman Tan Sri Sulaiman Daud and Managing Director Mohd Danil Abong, Tuesday, he said with the completion of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport's Terminal Two, the firm had broken its own record of completing two airports in one year.

He said it completed the new Kuching Airport building in April this year before they started working on the new Terminal Two in Tanjung Aru.

Global Upline was awarded the multi-million ringgit Package Two of the redevelopment of the KKIA project, which, apart from the new terminal building, includes the construction of the airside infrastructure and a new air traffic control tower.

The completion of the new Terminal Two building as well as upgrading of Jalan Mat Salleh road heading to the terminal and creating an additional 197 parking lots making it a total 390 took only six months of the 36-month contract period.

To a question, Ting said they managed to complete the project quickly because the material was ready for use and 2,000 workers were mobilised at once, working an average 18-hours a day.

Provided with four meals daily, he said the workers were disciplined and hardworking.

He added that they wanted to quickly complete the building out of sympathy for the passengers having to face congestion in the old terminal. It was also part of Global Upline's contribution to the development of the State's tourism industry, he said.

The new Terminal Two that can handle up to 1,500 passengers would include a dedicated VVIP area and an aircraft parking apron with the capacity to accommodate up to nine Boeing 737s at any one time.