MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sandeep G

Malaysian Airport Infrastructure Development News

If memory serves me right, the ones currently at BKI, the old old ones at KCH and those from Subang (apparently now reinstalled at various other airports in EM, eg. SDK) were purchased from Mitsubishi (Japanese) Nice to note that in the twenty years or so since, we can now manufacture our own. Not that these involve rocket science technology, but still a step in the right direction !

BTW Fairul, how involved are you with KKIA project ? You seem to have very detailed info available !! (Not only of KKIA mind you)

yeah..KCH has this old old ones ( Gate 2-5 )..and the old one ( Gate 6-7 )..the latter are by MASI

i'm only involved with KLIA upgrading work for A380...how i wish i get to involve with BKI....it so happen that everytime during weekly meeting..u meet up with new people and end up discussing about airport projects all over...thats how i get to know all these info...we have this one expert at our HQ who has involved with projects all over the world..Incheon..KLIA..Macau..Doha...im so jealous... <_>

two more photos left out..should have post it in sequence so u guys can understand the process to install it...if u guys dont mind...i post the photos again..in sequence..

P4190003.jpg

this is a rotunda..it connects the fixed bridge to the aerobridge...this rotunda can rotate up to certain degrees to enable the plane docking to the aerobridge..

IMG_2563.jpg

the installation of rotunda to the fixed bridge..a very crucial part...the rotunda is supported by the column...it can support load up to more than 90 Tonne

P4190040.jpg

this is the passenger boarding bridge aka PBB...it will be attach to the rotunda..

IMG_2572.jpg

attaching the PBB to the rotunda...it can stretch up to 30m long...

only then..the lifting motor will be attach at the end of the bridge to enable it to adjust to height of the plane during docking..

the new project at LCCT. the food garden aka food court

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Edited by Fairul

yerp..local made by Muhibbah Airline Support Industries (MASI)....quite a number of aerobridges in Malaysia are manufactured by them...KBR..AOR..and the new BKI ..to name a few..

Do they export to oversea ?

I understand there is an upgrading work of SYD Terminal 1 coming up soon, may be a chance to use 'Buatan Malaysia' ;)

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Thanks for those fascinating insights and pics Fairul. Said it before, needs saying again - priceless what one can learn from this place here !! :good:

BKI's progress as of yesterday..part 1

DSC08006.jpg

DSC08002.jpg

the terminal from the main road...

DSC08003.jpg

the roof structure....

DSC08019.jpg

the roof structure again...that is departure level

DSC08013.jpg

the old part of the terminal and the new one..once the new one completed..the old part will be refurbish

DSC08012.jpg

the new apron..can see the new tower further up..drainage work in progress for the new apron

part II

DSC07994.jpg

the area of the reclaimed land...for the runway extension

DSC07986.jpg

the new terminal..

DSC07990.jpg

the old part and the new one

DSC07991.jpg

passenger boarding bridge has been installed to the new hammerhead building

DSC07992.jpg

the new hammerhead

DSC07987.jpg

again the new terminal

DSC08043.jpg

the terminal overview..new and old one

Edited by Fairul

i will see what's the progress at BKI.

i remember the birth of BKI airport "new terminal" back then in the 80s.

Thank you very much indeed for sharing those pics. First time I've ever seen what it's like from existing ATC tower, after all these years :)

Looks like the place going to end up another KLIA clone / wannabe ! It's like all the JKR buildings all over the country, same same (in KK here, we have the JKR and Federal building twins within sight of each other !) !!

Looks like the place going to end up another KLIA clone / wannabe ! It's like all the JKR buildings all over the country, same same (in KK here, we have the JKR and Federal building twins within sight of each other !) !!

I agree with that one, BC. It is beginning to look more and more like the facade of the KLIA. When will they do away with the brick and mortar method, it is such an old construction technology (from the 1920-30s)?

Looking at the bright side, it cuts construction cost and time. No brain power and extra time required for extraordinary design. Literally spelling the death of architectural design and creativity!!

Some more pictures of the new BKI terminal, taken from the airside.

BKI01.jpg

BKI02.jpg

BKI03.jpg

BKI04.jpg

BKI05.jpg

Very fast progress, so the plan is to remove the old control tower and that big white brick building? or renovate?

..... so the plan is to remove the old control tower and that big white brick building? or renovate?

From rendering pics seen so far, the old control tower looks certain to go. As to existing terminal ("big white building") it's anybody's guess as to how much of the original bit will be retained, certainly looks way different externally

Again, many many thanks to Capt R for sharing those pics ! :good:

So the new terminal will add only 4 gates? When they are renovating the 'old' terminal, are they going to use only 4 gates to cater all the flights?

Found a photo of KKIA upgrade plan, thanks to Adrian for your help!

kkianewb.jpg

kkianewa.jpg

It looks real that only 4 gates will be added in the current part. And from the plan, looks like they are going to retain the building itself. And adding 3 more gates at the other side.

It's just my guess though. And I really wonder when they can finish this.

By the way, how long does it take to finish a taxiway, the parallel taxiway in BKI took ages to construct and it haven't finished yet. Is that normal?

When they are renovating the 'old' terminal, are they going to use only 4 gates to cater all the flights?

4 gates but with two bridges each, potentially 8 contact points if only narrowbodies involved. If heavies present, just do what is norm now - wait at taxiway for next available gate !

Don't think they will dare touch the existing place being used now until the new portion is completed and is up and running. The place is confusing / chaotic enough as it is without more construction works messing up further. Maybe by year end 2008 ?

Maybe this can be of help ?

kkia4.jpg

Edited by BC Tam

4 gates but with two bridges each, potentially 8 contact points if only narrowbodies involved. If heavies present, just do what is norm now - wait at taxiway for next available gate !

4 gates with two bridges? You mean left and right? If I'm not wrong the aerobridge never attact the right side of the a/c isn't it? That part is for the cargo and catering activity?

Anyway, judging from your photo, the new part of the terminal should have 5 gates am I right?

4 gates with two bridges? You mean left and right? If I'm not wrong the aerobridge never attact the right side of the a/c isn't it? That part is for the cargo and catering activity?

Anyway, judging from your photo, the new part of the terminal should have 5 gates am I right?

This photo should explain how 2 narrow-body planes can use 1 gate i.e share 2 aerobridges. This is Gate A2 at Contact Pier MTB KLIA.

DSCF0223.jpg

Edited by Alan B.

Alan,

Thanks for doing the clarification - good pic for illustration !

..... judging from your photo, the new part of the terminal should have 5 gates am I right?

If you notice, the left most parking bay looks like an open bay

I like the use of glass on the airside, as BKI has the most beautiful view of any airport in Malaysia. I love looking out over to the apron, runway and the beautiful sea beyond.

Any mention of BKI being capable of handling the A380? One of the concept pics depicts the landing of a A380.

i really doubt it..future plan...only KUL and LGK will be capable to handle the A380...LGK will become the diversion airport in Malaysia incase of any emergency occur...

i really doubt it..future plan...only KUL and LGK will be capable to handle the A380...LGK will become the diversion airport in Malaysia incase of any emergency occur...

Sorry being a bit O/T. Does the authority knows what they are doing? LGK is a one-way runway (03 for landing, 21 for departure) so it is not really suitable as an alternate. Guess everybody will be using SIN as alternate then.

Sorry being a bit O/T. Does the authority knows what they are doing? LGK is a one-way runway (03 for landing, 21 for departure) so it is not really suitable as an alternate. Guess everybody will be using SIN as alternate then.

Agreed. Would think PEN is more suitable for a diversion airport if land is not a problem. Anyway, looks like SIN would use KUL as a diversion as well.

thats what i've been informed by the guys in Technical Research Planning of MAHB.....most prob. next year we'll be conducting more testing to see the LGK runway's condition etc....