MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Cathay Pacific Quits Kuala Lumpur; Cathay Dragon (Dragonair) to Take Over from March 2017

They are replacing five B777-200A with EK B777-300A, stood down A343 and B744 and receiving more A359 as replacement. Unless they are retiring age-old A333 I don't really see where CX will shuffle their fleet to tbh.

CX is replacing 5x B777-200A with a handful of soon-to-be ex-EK B777-300A? Is this info reliable?

Somehow I don't see any of the so called "low cost" in Dragonair...

They still offer baggage, meal, IFE, nevertheless professional cabin crew...

What matters most by how I observed is people tend to be so particular to branding, although KA is also a sister airline...

But when CX annouced the plan, people might just questioned: har? KA? Why KA? Why KA? Why KA?

Just because they were so used to CX's product therefore they will doubt on KA being the "lower class" version of CX...

Most noise came from those traveling on the front actually. I guess the body of those traveling up front (some, not pointing fingers to all) is so different than those traveling steerage they need a Cirrus flat bed even on a short-haul just so they can get well rested. Post this on A.net people will start calling you names but luckily this is mw.com where people are a lot more forgiving.

We need to hear more opinion frm paxes who travelled on KA from the other two international airports in Msia...

I've traveled with elderly passengers 8 times on CX and KA (CX twice and the rest on KA). KA cabin crew do the best job assisting elderly passengers. The leading stewardess came out from the aircraft the moment they saw us coming. Even crew in the rear galley rushed over to help as we made our way to our seats. They offered to help us to stow our luggage though I don't really need any helps as I'm still young. But they always insist anyway. Then they came back and offered extra pillows to my grandparents who are over 80 years old (the elderly passengers). The experience was consistent on all 6 different KA flights where we were traveling with my grandparents.

CX is replacing 5x B777-200A with a handful of soon-to-be ex-EK B777-300A? Is this info reliable?

Confirmed a few days ago. First aircraft will be delivered in 2018.

Confirmed a few days ago. First aircraft will be delivered in 2018.

As per what Isaac has said, 5 EK B777-300A are confirmed. A6-EMW which crashed recently was one of the five. EK still has 11 B773 left, CX have many choices to choose.

Most noise came from those traveling on the front actually. I guess the body of those traveling up front (some, not pointing fingers to all) is so different than those traveling steerage they need a Cirrus flat bed even on a short-haul just so they can get well rested. Post this on A.net people will start calling you names but luckily this is mw.com where people are a lot more forgiving.

Your assumption that every time one of "these" persons flies, starts and ends the journey in HKG is flawed. After a 15:50 JFK-HKG, some of "these" people want to continue sleeping. The option is there today, it will not be there tomorrow. Even if the journey started and ended in Hong Kong, if the seat was there for the taking, why shun it?

I fail to see why body types have got anything to do with preferences, and by that virtue, I fail to see why a properly written argument as to WHY not having cirrus is a loss would attract scorn on a.net or any forum for that matter.

Of course, if a post was driven by emotion and or insults without basis, then yes, I can see how one would get called names. I'm thinking these insults don't happen on MW right? It is after all you who point out the "more forgiving" nature here..... ;)

As per what Isaac has said, 5 EK B777-300A are confirmed. A6-EMW which crashed recently was one of the five. EK still has 11 B773 left, CX have many choices to choose.

And early on some CX staff said CX was looking at SQ's 773A too. Not sure if that is still the case now.

Your assumption that every time one of "these" persons flies, starts and ends the journey in HKG is flawed. After a 15:50 JFK-HKG, some of "these" people want to continue sleeping. The option is there today, it will not be there tomorrow. Even if the journey started and ended in Hong Kong, if the seat was there for the taking, why shun it?

I fail to see why body types have got anything to do with preferences, and by that virtue, I fail to see why a properly written argument as to WHY not having cirrus is a loss would attract scorn on a.net or any forum for that matter.

Of course, if a post was driven by emotion and or insults without basis, then yes, I can see how one would get called names. I'm thinking these insults don't happen on MW right? It is after all you who point out the "more forgiving" nature here..... ;)

You probably won't see that post had someone try not to be sarcastic. Forgiving as in refrain from name calling because pardon me for someone travels steerage why is this such a big issue to the point people insist a clearly C seat as a W seat. Edited by Isaac

There's no escaping the fact that this just speaks volumes of KUL (and Malaysia as a whole) being well and truly moving down the aviation value chain.

Among all the major Asian capital cities, KUL already has the least representation of the major Asian flag carriers. Lets not even get to the European and US flag carriers. That KUL can't even support a sustainable operation from Cathay (it's Hong Kong for crying out loud, not some obscure city unknown to Malaysians) is a disappointment.

That there's minimal differences in service for regional flights between Dragon and Cathay and that they're still maintaining a "strong" presence at a group level in the KUL market is perhaps missing the point.

It's about profile, something KUL was already struggling with with major carriers.

On the other hand though, KUL has had no problems attracting carriers from Central Asia, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Bangladesh and even North Korea's Air Koryo. I am all for diversity of airlines. But one can't help but feel that's a sad consolation for KUL (even in this area, Bangkok does much much better).

there's no way KUL would be able to compete with Bangkok, HCMC, Bali etc when it comes to Europe/US/Australian travellers .... those destinations are the true "holiday" destinations for them since everything goes (if you know what i mean) even to the point that even Malaysians go there for holidays... so there's no surprise that the major carriers would actually go more to those cities vs KUL...

The customer is always right of course, you can always take your business elsewhere if the supplier does not provide what you want. CX has obviously considered all the business arguments and arrived at this decision. Its too bad they have to lose some customers for now but it will be good for their bottom line overall.

Give them a few more years to find out it this decision proves to be a flawed one.

And early on some CX staff said CX was looking at SQ's 773A too. Not sure if that is still the case now.

You probably won't see that post had someone try not to be sarcastic. Forgiving as in refrain from name calling because pardon me for someone travels steerage why is this such a big issue to the point people insist a clearly C seat as a W seat.

If you flew this "C-seat" for yourself, you'd know why it's being regarded as sub-par and hence, more of a PEY seat. But you only travel steerage. :acute: I actually prefer MH's J seats on the 738s to CX/KA's JPEY seats on their reconfigured A330s.

Jokes aside, it's a definite downgrade for me in terms of the hard product.

Edited by Ashley Lee

The reason why products consistency is important. A reason why mh failed to attract j class pax from regionals to feed long haul.

If you flew this "C-seat" for yourself, you'd know why it's being regarded as sub-par and hence, more of a PEY seat. But you only travel steerage. :acute: I actually prefer MH's J seats on the 738s to CX/KA's JPEY seats on their reconfigured A330s.

For someone who travels almost exclusively steerage, any Business Class seat is a good seat. Even the J seat on MAS 738 with just 42" seat pitch is a real good seat which I traveled once from BKI to HKG on a free upgrade. My question about which FSC has W seats in 2-2-2 layout on the 333 was never answered as some insisted CX regional C is W. But that's understandable as there isn't one. It was all ok until someone decided to be sarcastic two days later.

I don't think KUL has been too overlooked in terms of major airlines. BA has come back with a 789, KLM has increased flights to 10 weekly, CI has upgraded and up gauged KUL, NH is starting a HND flight. It's not so bad. We took a hit with the MH twin disasters and 1MDB scandal ... It will get better

Oh well, ladies and gents, let's all come back down to Mother Earth. CX has crunched the numbers and had made their decision. Hopefully one day we will see CX birds back at KUL. Actually since KA has been re-branded, the brush-stroke livery lives on at KUL....Not all are lost. :)

Edited by JuliusWong

I've traveled with elderly passengers 8 times on CX and KA (CX twice and the rest on KA). KA cabin crew do the best job assisting elderly passengers. The leading stewardess came out from the aircraft the moment they saw us coming. Even crew in the rear galley rushed over to help as we made our way to our seats. They offered to help us to stow our luggage though I don't really need any helps as I'm still young. But they always insist anyway. Then they came back and offered extra pillows to my grandparents who are over 80 years old (the elderly passengers). The experience was consistent on all 6 different KA flights where we were traveling with my grandparents.

That is why I need to hear more from KA pax. The little "touches" that differentiate the 2 brands.

my worst experience on CX was back when they install those fixed shell seats... They should have hire a tit-da sifu on board when they used to have those seats... I have no problem with cx crew because i rarely press the service button :p

Oh well, ladies and gents, let's all come back down to Mother Earth. CX has crunched the numbers and had made their decision. Hopefully one day we will see CX birds back at KUL. Actually since KA has been re-branded, the brush-stroke livery lives on at KUL....Not all are lost. :)

Basically a different color version of cx with di... Different product offerings :p

Edited by Roy Chin

Basically a different color version of cx with di... Different product offerings :p

CX was not able to convince pax to pay more for the different product that they offer. So they are passing it to KA to see if they can do better. They are also handing 5 planes over to KA.

Edited by flee

Its too bad they have to lose some customers for now but it will be good for their bottom line overall.

Give them a few more years to find out it this decision proves to be a flawed one.

I'd agree that they've done their sums and arrived at this decision, right or wrong, time will tell, as you say. I make my statements not on the basis of whatever profit/revenue assumptions they make, but purely on my own observations, which center around passenger experience.

Me talking about revenue, yield, fleet utilisation or whatever financial metric airlines use internally is the same as me talking about peeing standing up - I lack neither the knowledge nor experience to definitively comment on that.

That is why I need to hear more from KA pax.

Out of necessity, many regular CX pax are also regular KA pax. They're not mutually exclusive.

From what I've seen on this thread alone, whichever side of the fence you sit on, whether for or against this move, opinions posted have been based on actual experience with both airlines. Like in any forum, whilst one can disagree/agree with statements made, I can appreciate the diversity of opinions.

Ergo - you've already heard from the KA pax.

..... is the same as me talking about peeing standing up - I lack neither the knowledge nor experience to definitively comment on that.

Wanna acquire said knowledge and start accumulating experience/expertise on subject ? :D

I remember reading about someone, somewhere having come up with a contraption for just such life changing changes

(sorry, O/T again) :)

Wanna acquire said knowledge and start accumulating experience/expertise on subject ? :D

I remember reading about someone, somewhere having come up with a contraption for just such life changing changes

(sorry, O/T again) :)

No thanks! :) Too old to learn new tricks!

was chatting with a CX Captain and he said its that decision is cause union issues and also as said before 5 A330 transfers to KA

Edited by jadivindra

was chatting with a CX Captain and he said its that decision is cause union issues and also as said before 5 A330 transfers to KA

One of long time airliners.net HK members stated this:

As Zeke says, KA do not really have much of a lower cost base. Many of their pilots are paid more than their counterparts at CX.
KA is being used as a vehicle for expansion right now because CX is unable to expand at the rate they would like and management are not prepared to fix the issues which would help them to expand faster. KA on the other hand is able to expand a little faster than CX and that is why they are being used as the way for the Swire Group to expand their airline ops. If things were reversed, it would be just as easy for CX to start taking destinations like KUL back from KA.
In the meantime expect more announcements of KA taking CX destinations including some further afield.

One of long time airliners.net HK members stated this:

As Zeke says, KA do not really have much of a lower cost base. Many of their pilots are paid more than their counterparts at CX.

KA is being used as a vehicle for expansion right now because CX is unable to expand at the rate they would like and management are not prepared to fix the issues which would help them to expand faster. KA on the other hand is able to expand a little faster than CX and that is why they are being used as the way for the Swire Group to expand their airline ops. If things were reversed, it would be just as easy for CX to start taking destinations like KUL back from KA.

In the meantime expect more announcements of KA taking CX destinations including some further afield.

The guy who wrote this is a CX cabin crew. While zeke is a senior pilot at CX.

Who will receive the 5x B777-200A? One of them is the first 777 ever built.... B-HNL...

Who will receive the 5x B777-200A? One of them is the first 777 ever built.... B-HNL...

CX will most probably run the five B772A to the ground before selling them to charter airline or scrapper. CX was having hard time selling them, in the end decided to keep them.

B-HNL would most probably return to Boeing for Museum of Flight as what Suhaimi was mentioned above.

Note, B777 second hand market is currently very bad especially for older generation. Apart from Vim Airlines and Rossiya taking over ex-Transaero assets, most B777 currently being retired are all end up as Coke can. That of course does not include our Bayu Air....... :)

Edited by JuliusWong

Sign in to follow this