MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Ground Staff in Customer Service Disaster

I'm sorry but that video was cut straight to the point to when the first officer swore at the customers. We don't know what actually happened before.

Of course it is TOTALLY wrong to react that way, but please remember all of them are humans and there are limits. The first officer couldn't take it anymore and just left.

I suspect the customers were the ones provoking the staff.

There is always two, three or more sides of the story. Agreed that the video was shortened to focus on the check in agents' response. In customer service, the customer is always right and neither can or should raise their voices no matter how tired or upset they are. It takes two hands to clap, so in this instance, the customer may have provoked the check in agent hence the exchange of harsh words but there is no excuse. The least the agent could have done is to call in the supervisor to advise them on the situation instead of what he actually did. Nevertheless, constant training and monitoring also helps to ensure quality is the focus of their services to the customers. Just because there is a delay of a flight, the customer need not be harsh or hostile towards the check in agent or ground staff. If they could help, they should and they would have. Well, I wonder who was recording this and why would anyone want to record it in the first place unless maybe they planned it in such a way? :search: :search: :search:

I'm sorry but that video was cut straight to the point to when the first officer swore at the customers. We don't know what actually happened before.

Of course it is TOTALLY wrong to react that way, but please remember all of them are humans and there are limits. The first officer couldn't take it anymore and just left.

I suspect the customers were the ones provoking the staff.

MH has issued a press statement on this on their FB.

Anyhow being customer service forntliner in Malaysia, we need to have 'heart of stone'.,..

They dont even care about MH anymore I think. With the impending retrenchment exercise looming a lot of them are already low on morale.Getting to work is a chore and some have already started looking for new jobs. Mueller should just get on with getting rid of these bad apples asap

with the recent viral videos of MH ground staffs mistreated stranded passengers,, it can even be said that it offers below standard service or even no standard at all...didnt they even have the slightest sense of customer service in mind when handling difficult passengers? or they were being selective and only European and well dressed people will be treated nicely?

with the recent viral videos of MH ground staffs mistreated stranded passengers,, it can even be said that it offers below standard service or even no standard at all...didnt they even have the slightest sense of customer service in mind when handling difficult passengers? or they were being selective and only European and well dressed people will be treated nicely?

You really think a white guy in a suit behaving just as badly as those subcontinent pax would still get a smile from those ground staff?

You really think a white guy in a suit behaving just as badly as those subcontinent pax would still get a smile from those ground staff?

yes..or the staff wouldnt dare to do as what they did to those "subcontinent" pax...as u called them....

I have seen this happening too, but not on MAS. It was onboard EK. A cabin crew asked one of the passengers to sit down during a delay. The pax suddenly raised his voice on her. Petrified, she later cried in the galley. It all happened just behind my seat. Since then, I have utmost respect to customer service employees (not that I was disrespectful to them before, but bearing witness to this scenario really open up my eyes on the challenges in dealing with customers/guests).

Yes, in normal work positions we tend to do it professionally and not be emotionally involved.

However, in customer service, a lot of the work requires your personality to shine through and you can be personally assaulted (verbally, physically or both) by your customers. But your training should help you overcome the emotional outbursts and keep your composure under the most severe provocation.

Would it work if MH just shut down their customer handling services, transfer all of their staff to KLAS and outsourced them back like SQ did with SATS at Changi? At least it won't be problematic to re-train the staff like if they were transfer to civil services. MH could shrink down their headcount and focus totally on their main business as airlines, cargo and MRO. :huh:

Edited by Din Hilmi

Yes, in normal work positions we tend to do it professionally and not be emotionally involved.

However, in customer service, a lot of the work requires your personality to shine through and you can be personally assaulted (verbally, physically or both) by your customers. But your training should help you overcome the emotional outbursts and keep your composure under the most severe provocation.

Well said

But definitely not after being thrown with such abusive which in this case i believe the csa being called as an "assholes" first.

I'm not saying that the csa did something right by being rude as a response to the insultation.

But he was run out of his patience.

If I may share a post by another MAS staff who knows the guy in question:

I feel sorry for the Malaysia Airlines staff who is making headlines for losing his cool.

He is a nice and humble guy in person. His reaction on that particular day shocked most colleagues. He wasn't able to resume work for the next 2 days due to depression. People are going around saying that don't work if you can't handle the job. Ya right, I've seen many tough nuts who talk big but crack at 1st blow.

Currently all Malaysia Airlines staffs are under tremendous pressure and some are under deep depression. Huge downsizing and retrenchment is taking place this month and even I myself am not sure if I would still have a job next month. Unfortunately he just happened to be one of those who couldn't hold back and too bad, internet is a b**ch.

No one will stand up for a graded staff in corporate companies. The least I can do is ask you guys to give him a break, he didn't commit any crime as bad as the politicians you guys voted for. He is just a young guy who failed to deal with pressure. I don't see it as a crime. And speaking about being rude, most Malaysians are just the same, some even worse.

Before I joined Malaysia Airlines, I used to work in customer service too and no, customers are not always right. It's up to both parties to ensure a pleasant service. That's what I learned in the people's business. Flight delay cost the airline more than you, but would you fly on a broken plane just because you don't want to wait for it to be fixed? Get real.

And to my fellow colleagues, it may be the toughest moment in our careers in Malaysia Airlines. But if we have to go, leave with the pride that you have done your best for the national icon till the last minute. Let people talk what ever they want, only those who have worked hard and sincerely to uphold the brand know what it takes to carry the logo on our uniforms. So keep doing your best.

Hold your horses, stay clam, don't panic and start planning. It's better to prepare than to let pressure eat you up. Don't forget the love you have for the airline and no matter what happens, understand that the company has to do what it has to do to continue flying high.

Extend your support to each other and stay strong, cheer.

https://www.facebook.com/Shateesh/posts/898219503570544

If what he did that day shocked his colleagues then I'm prety certain the Indian passengers had provoked him to his breaking point.

This case is easy, kacang putih.

Things like this happened when both parties think that they are superior than the other. The I AM BETTER THAN YOU attitude.

From the Indian customers' point of view:

- We paid a ticket to Hyderabad/Bangalore, we just wanted to get there.

- There are 30 of us (not 3). We are 20% of the load factor on the MH flight that departed without us.

- Considering the big numbers, MH should have been expecting us and our reaction in KUL because MH is the first to know that our flights have departed without us.

- We are the customers, we are always right, customer is king.

- We yell like this all the time in India. This is not rude, this is just a daily thing, and this is how we treat a bully company like this (MH).

- In India, we are king, because we have money, and we travel abroad. We expect some respect.

From MH Ground Staff's point of view:

- What's the fuss with the yelling?

- I am Malay. This is Malaysia my country. You don't treat me like this in my own country.

A point to note:

- It seems like a straight forward missed connection incident.

- The 2 Ground Agents are trained to handle issues like this but they failed and needed to refer to their Duty Manager.

- The Duty Manager don't have any problem to sort it out, which concluded that it was a simple, straight forward missed connection incident.

One of my first few jobs in London was a Customer Service Rep for a bank. I was on that position for 1 year. What I've learnt:

- Customer is king. An employee can get sacked by just 1 customer's complaint.

- Always sedar diri that you are a doing a clerical level job. You are not a Duty Manager or MH's CEO. Christoph Mueller can yell at customers like this if he wants. But you are an anchovies in the company. So don't act like a big boss, raising voice and pointing hands onto the customers' face.

- You don't put down fire with fire. Aggressive customers need to be handled delicately. We need to show that they are important and their problem is super serious and they have our full attention. Ask them to sit down and talk to them nicely, offer a water at least. If you don't know what to say or being provoked in this manner, just smile. From the video, what I can see is 2 disinterested staff who could not be bothered to help the customers and just passing the burden to their Duty Manager.

- You might be a lovely and humble colleague at work, a caring father and husband at home (so as everyone else) BUT you are acting on behalf of the company. Be PROFESSIONAL. If the matter is wrong to the eyes of the company, it is wrong no matter how right it is to your eyes and how much you disagree with it. Play by the rules.

- Apologise. MH is clearly at fault here. Ground agents should just apologise to these customers. But knowing the ketuanan Melayu ego (I am Melayu myself), sorry seems to be the hardest word.

- Training is essential. MAS Ground staff is known to be bad in Customer Service in the past when compared to their peers in the air. This case is not an isolated case that a simulation of such incident during training could be missed out. I am sure it is written in their SOP/Manual but the agents did not read it.

- Put yourself in their shoes. Are you not mad if after missing your flight which is not your fault all you hear is a yell from the person who suppose to handle the mess they created themselves and they want to pass you to their manager?

- Respect cultural difference. What's ok in India can be considered rude in Malaysia. What's ok in Malaysia can be considered rude in India. In the end, who is the customer? You or them?

- You need the job more than the company needs you. So suck it up.

- Treat people the way you wanted to be treated.

- You are a Muslim. Show a good attitude in line with the teachings of Islam.

Things in Malaysia has gotten a lot blurry these days that a matter with a clear cut of right or wrong such as this one are all in grey. Embezzlement of public funds by 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. PM's splurge on new private jet is ok, no one is acquitted. Hajj fund is used to help 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. But individual/whistleblowers who revealed all these wrongdoings are acquitted under the Official Secret Act. Like WTF Malaysia?

I don't see any single valid reason for MH to maintain these 2 on their payroll. 1,000 migrant workers would kill to have this job with so much less cost for MH.

This case is easy, kacang putih.

Things like this happened when both parties think that they are superior than the other. The I AM BETTER THAN YOU attitude.

From the Indian customers' point of view:

- We paid a ticket to Hyderabad/Bangalore, we just wanted to get there.

- There are 30 of us (not 3). We are 20% of the load factor on the MH flight that departed without us.

- Considering the big numbers, MH should have been expecting us and our reaction in KUL because MH is the first to know that our flights have departed without us.

- We are the customers, we are always right, customer is king.

- We yell like this all the time in India. This is not rude, this is just a daily thing, and this is how we treat a bully company like this (MH).

- In India, we are king, because we have money, and we travel abroad. We expect some respect.

From MH Ground Staff's point of view:

- What's the fuss with the yelling?

- I am Malay. This is Malaysia my country. You don't treat me like this in my own country.

A point to note:

- It seems like a straight forward missed connection incident.

- The 2 Ground Agents are trained to handle issues like this but they failed and needed to refer to their Duty Manager.

- The Duty Manager don't have any problem to sort it out, which concluded that it was a simple, straight forward missed connection incident.

One of my first few jobs in London was a Customer Service Rep for a bank. I was on that position for 1 year. What I've learnt:

- Customer is king. An employee can get sacked by just 1 customer's complaint.

- Always sedar diri that you are a doing a clerical level job. You are not a Duty Manager or MH's CEO. Christoph Mueller can yell at customers like this if he wants. But you are an anchovies in the company. So don't act like a big boss, raising voice and pointing hands onto the customers' face.

- You don't put down fire with fire. Aggressive customers need to be handled delicately. We need to show that they are important and their problem is super serious and they have our full attention. Ask them to sit down and talk to them nicely, offer a water at least. If you don't know what to say or being provoked in this manner, just smile. From the video, what I can see is 2 disinterested staff who could not be bothered to help the customers and just passing the burden to their Duty Manager.

- You might be a lovely and humble colleague at work, a caring father and husband at home (so as everyone else) BUT you are acting on behalf of the company. Be PROFESSIONAL. If the matter is wrong to the eyes of the company, it is wrong no matter how right it is to your eyes and how much you disagree with it. Play by the rules.

- Apologise. MH is clearly at fault here. Ground agents should just apologise to these customers. But knowing the ketuanan Melayu ego (I am Melayu myself), sorry seems to be the hardest word.

- Training is essential. MAS Ground staff is known to be bad in Customer Service in the past when compared to their peers in the air. This case is not an isolated case that a simulation of such incident during training could be missed out. I am sure it is written in their SOP/Manual but the agents did not read it.

- Put yourself in their shoes. Are you not mad if after missing your flight which is not your fault all you hear is a yell from the person who suppose to handle the mess they created themselves and they want to pass you to their manager?

- Respect cultural difference. What's ok in India can be considered rude in Malaysia. What's ok in Malaysia can be considered rude in India. In the end, who is the customer? You or them?

- You need the job more than the company needs you. So suck it up.

- Treat people the way you wanted to be treated.

- You are a Muslim. Show a good attitude in line with the teachings of Islam.

Things in Malaysia has gotten a lot blurry these days that a matter with a clear cut of right or wrong such as this one are all in grey. Embezzlement of public funds by 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. PM's splurge on new private jet is ok, no one is acquitted. Hajj fund is used to help 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. But individual/whistleblowers who revealed all these wrongdoings are acquitted under the Official Secret Act. Like WTF Malaysia?

I don't see any single valid reason for MH to maintain these 2 on their payroll. 1,000 migrant workers would kill to have this job with so much less cost for MH.

Agreed with the above. Good observation.

To add on, fatigues and not clear information from the Grd.crew may have further escalate the situation.

There is a saying that in your pay, half is for getting the job done and the other half is for handling the pressure/abuse from customers and management.

Azizul, excellent post. One big LIKE from me.

I work in the healthcare services (public) and there are many times I want to scream and shout at some relatives and some other staff but I have to deal with everything in a calm way. It's easy to criticise when we don't know the full story but Azizul is absolutely right, the customer is king, especially in the services industry. And the frontline staff are the face of the company.

Now this video will be seen by all and sundry throughout the world. Not good for MAS... considering the unfortunate position they are in.

As some said here, there are many sides to the story.

This situation could have been prevented though. If you're dealing with a couple of frustrated passengers, a couple of ground staff is adequate. Here, you have dozens of them. And, with all due respect and with no intention whatsoever to cause offense to anyone, dealing with passengers from the subcontinent can be tricky enough in normal situations, let alone in an exigency like this.

More ground staff and someone with a higher authority should have been there to manage the situation. They may not be able fulfill their demands, but "people management" would have helped.

In my opinion, this was certainly a result of one overwhelmed ground staff. Those guys shouldn't have been there to fend for themselves alone. What's more, this happened at KLIA, where help should have been readily available.

Delays and missed connections happen. It's part and parcel of the airline business. But it's the response that counts.

Ultimately, the ground staff's behavior cannot be justified. He was wrong and will have to face the consequences.

But MAS should slap themselves even harder for failing to see this situation escalate to that level. Organizational wrongdoing led to individual wrongdoing.

those two should not even work as front liners not only in MH...even in MCd or KFC...if you cannot handle people and all the stress and pressures that come with it..dont even think of working in that position....regardless if what as per his friend's comment is true that in person he's not like that, then he should have acted professionally as he's on duty and he knows that he must follow the company's SOP or code of conducts or whatever that he was trained to do in that situation and not to take matters in his own hands and act as if he owns MH.....

HR failed to filter out the bad apples? Maybe there is a low requirement to join MAS.

Edited by DaTan

No matter how harsh the customers are, as customer service frontliner; act professionally - never ever bring your personal emotion to work in hospitality industry, you wont find a single customer that can tolerate on this. Get out of any hospitality industry if one's emotion can explode so easily!

What's more these two persons are resembling the national carrier, which in turn resemble their intial tagline - MH is Malaysian Hospitality, those missing connecting flights passengers would simply get fed up with that two emo faces, thinking that is how Malaysians treat foreign tourists...

I feel sorry for the MAS staff to be honest. The Indian customer is very rude too which triggers it..

Indian and Chinese customers could be rude but is still not a reason. Believe this is not the first or the last time MH handle Indian or any angry customers on mis-connection. This flight mis-connection was known over one hour ahead, wonder why MH didn't prepare transit desk e.g. extra staffs for this sudden influx.

If transit desk have queuing system and comfortable waiting area with chairs, pax won't have crowded at the desk and worsen the already anxiety and bad mood of mis-connection.

Sign in to follow this