MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Malaysia Airlines steward says when told about faulty tray table: 'I'm not an engineer'

Some news from SG:

When STOMPer yougang asked an air steward for assistance with a faulty table on board a Malaysia Airlines flight, the steward replied that he couldn't help as he wasn't an engineer.

http://static.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1842610/malaysia_airline_steward_says_when_told_about_faulty_table.html

My encounter with MH stewards have been fair going at the most.

Comments that I have overheard are - "Dah sejuk, nak ais lagi ke?" when asked to give some ice cubes for a can of coke.

"nanti..saya belum habis baca menu..macam mana nak tahu apa yang ada?"

"kopi?, nanti dulu..kita serve main meal dulu..lepas tu baru ada kopi"

Handing over the ice without having eye contact with the passengers is also a big disrespect.

I think these stewards are being too friendly with Malaysians fliers. So much so that they acted as if they are talking to their buddies where they could sarcastically said something and expect the passengers to except it in a humorous way. If this is true, they it backed fired greatly.

I make this conclusion as I see differences in the way the stewards treat foreigners and Malaysians. Foreign passengers gets better treatment (always) then own countrymen. ..

Edited by Cire

I think these stewards are being too friendly with Malaysians fliers. So much so that they acted as if they are talking to their buddies where they could sarcastically said something and expect the passengers to except it in a humorous way. If this is true, they it backed fired greatly.

I make this conclusion as I see differences in the way the stewards treat foreigners and Malaysians. Foreign passengers gets better treatment (always) then own countrymen. ..

I don't think the treatment of foreigners are limited to MAS stewards. In my experience, everyone in Malaysia acts that way, so what to do?

from my personal experience : it is their gesture, they tried to crack joke to the pax. Unluckily, this time this overpampered South East Asian always feel threatened with that kind of joke on Full Service Carrier.

My encounter with MH stewards have been fair going at the most.

Comments that I have overheard are - "Dah sejuk, nak ais lagi ke?" when asked to give some ice cubes for a can of coke.

"nanti..saya belum habis baca menu..macam mana nak tahu apa yang ada?"

"kopi?, nanti dulu..kita serve main meal dulu..lepas tu baru ada kopi"

Handing over the ice without having eye contact with the passengers is also a big disrespect.

Seems they kinda like to take liberties eh?

I don't think the treatment of foreigners are limited to MAS stewards. In my experience, everyone in Malaysia acts that way, so what to do?

Those are some really broad strokes you're painting in there.

The comments below the article is so colorful

couldn't agree more

but having stayed in the UK for the past 10 months taught me about empathy, and to treat people nicely before asking them to treat us nicely in return. We, in South East Asia are way toooooooo pampered.

We only read the writer's rant, we don't know the whole situation. Maybe the flight was full to the brim and there are many passengers to be entertained.

MH should check on those little things. I had tray table which could not be secured and it was popping out while on the takeoff run, througout the flight and landing! I had to use my knees to hold it in place as there was no other seat to switch to. It was on the 734, and glad it is being phased out!

I thk MH crew is a mixed bag. Even in recent flight in J class, I encountered a very polite steward, and a rather indifferent one. The latter missed me in serving coffee!

I thk MH crew is a mixed bag. Even in recent flight in J class, I encountered a very polite steward, and a rather indifferent one. The latter missed me in serving coffee!

Reminded me of a same incident with an MH steward. When I later asked for the missed coffee (politely, mind you), he glared at me. Then trying to cover up the mistake, he snapped at me, "your turn will come!" Left me dumbfounded and totally embarrassed as if it was my fault. Since then I seldom ask for hot beverages on MH flights, unless offered. Just let it be... mai pen rai..

Edited by V Wong

couldn't agree more

but having stayed in the UK for the past 10 months taught me about empathy, and to treat people nicely before asking them to treat us nicely in return. We, in South East Asia are way toooooooo pampered.

We only read the writer's rant, we don't know the whole situation. Maybe the flight was full to the brim and there are many passengers to be entertained.

Agree....its only one side....need to know what the other side hav to say.........

I think with such comments put forth, we could safely generalised that MH FAs need to really improve on their politeness to ALL passengers and not just caucasians (foreigners). SEA passengers may not like to make complains as much as their peers from the west due to the hassles etc.,but nevertheless, any mis-service are duly felt and may lead to a more embarassement confrontation in the future.

The crews cannot bring their street culture into the cabin where passengers are treated differently in accordance to their skin colors or just SEA folks "don't always complain". Does not complain does not mean the FAs rude antics are taken lightly and forgotten, just like the Asian cultural of forgive and forget.

But nevertheless, when one is in the service industry, one should expect all sorts of demands from the customers and to deal with it as professionally as possible. An episode encountered, is gone and past and should not be harboured and released on another different scenario or person. Can MH FAs do it?

Edited by Cire

Meanwhile in Indonesia,

Case closed on Malaysia flight attendant assault

An Indonesian passenger with the initials MA hit and spat at a Malaysia Airlines flight attendant named Jessi as the plane arrived at Polonia International Airport in Medan on June 17. As a result, the plane’s captain, Kamarul Amin, delayed the return flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/06/19/case-closed-malaysia-flight-attendant-assault.html

I do reckon sometimes the services in Malaysia are more biased to the "caucasian" foreigners. On the other hand, I was always told Asians always given lower priority when it came to services in western nations, particularly in Australia, but I've never encountered that, not even in Sydney where most of the racism cases reported there. The local people whom I've met there were all very friendly. Ironically, I found the white hotel receptionist in Sydney appeared to be friendlier to me than the Asian receptionists did. :)

Anyway, I do hope MH could take up this lousy service issue before they got stripped off the world class service title.

couldn't agree more

Well done! It's great to see that you're of the opinion of seeing both sides of the coin!

In relation to this "I'm not and engineer" comment; Please lahh... "STOMP" is a nonsense portal used by some pretty begrudged decrepits to showcase their insecurities and dis-pleasure in day-to-day life... have a view of the site - it's trash reading at its finest!

or perhaps MAS need to reduce their male cabin crew since all of the cases reported by MW members here are involved steward. After all, flight attendant is a feminine-oriented job.

They are actually doing so. Several last round of hiring has been for stewardess, none was for steward.

or perhaps MAS need to reduce their male cabin crew since all of the cases reported by MW members here are involved steward. After all, flight attendant is a feminine-oriented job.

Interestingly I found most of MAS' male cabin crew quite feminine.

LOL.... but the way they carry themselves doesn't seem so.

I do reckon sometimes the services in Malaysia are more biased to the "caucasian" foreigners. On the other hand, I was always told Asians always given lower priority when it came to services in western nations, particularly in Australia, but I've never encountered that, not even in Sydney where most of the racism cases reported there. The local people whom I've met there were all very friendly. Ironically, I found the white hotel receptionist in Sydney appeared to be friendlier to me than the Asian receptionists did. :)

Anyway, I do hope MH could take up this lousy service issue before they got stripped off the world class service title.

Yeah. This phenomena of 2nd.class-ing Asians not only happens on flights but in shopping malls as well.

What's with the inferiority level that our fellow Asians put on to each other?

Is it because the little known things that we know about our fellow Asians that have therefore perceived them to be not worthy to be accorded the full respect if not on par of those given to caucasians? Or it is because of the decades of colonial rules that have impeded in these fellow Asians's mindset that the caucasians are of a higher beings..

Ultimately, we should not also treat FAs any lesser in respect that we expect from them. It work both ways.

Not all FAs enjoyed their job always. Putting up with unreasonable passengers and cleaning up wash closets and vomits is nothing glamourous at all.

Funny you mentioning that, I've actually accounted one male MH steward who was 'picking up' a pax on a MEL bound flight, I'll leave out the specifics cause you guys might think I'm abit noisy! But it couldn't be helped :p But all the FA's on that flight was very polite and professional, just too professional with little smiles.

at least he shows some effort to assist the passenger instead of just saying he isnt an engineer. Anyway i hope MAS really investigate about this case ASAP.

I think that's the whole point of the stomp article.

<< The tray had a problem .... difficult for passenger to eat ..., bad attitude by that steward whose DUTY is to make all passengers have a pleasant and safe flight and not just dishing out food.... >>>>

Perhaps he wasn't trained properly , perhaps he got the job because MH needed crew desperately then and lowered their standards to recruit him ....whatever it is ...don't blame the passengers for being too pampared, fussy etc.... It's not unreasonable for passenger to

Highlight the tray issue .... It's not unreasonable for passenger to eat his meal enjoyably and not worry about tray sliding and spilling all over him....that's not asking much .

This particular crew is a disgrace and ought to be suspended otherwise he can go to a more " grounded" job as a waiter in a stall and maybe that would be too good for him....

Sign in to follow this