MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
abikurami

Air France Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 22 April 2013 until 25 October 2015

Actually I don't understand why the route between KUL vv CDG is such an epic failure, along with KUL vv FCO, and probably KUL vv FRA....

I bet only KUL vvLHR and KUL vv AMS are the one doing good in Europe. If European prominent destinations such as CDG, FCO or even FRA are already a failure, there's no way it would work on other destinations such as Zurich, Helsinki, etc.

Actually I don't understand why the route between KUL vv CDG is such an epic failure, along with KUL vv FCO, and probably KUL vv FRA....

I bet only KUL vvLHR and KUL vv AMS are the one doing good in Europe. If European prominent destinations such as CDG, FCO or even FRA are already a failure, there's no way it would work on other destinations such as Zurich, Helsinki, etc.

Without daily flights, it's hard to attract business travelers.

AF didn't go all-out with KUL, unlike BA. LH is hovering around the 5-7 weekly range, which is still better than what AF offered. It has a tag-on to CGK to give it a slight boost as well. KL had up to 10x weekly flights IIRC, but it's at least daily now. They're probably the European airline with the most confidence in KUL.

Without daily flights, it's hard to attract business travelers.

AF didn't go all-out with KUL, unlike BA. LH is hovering around the 5-7 weekly range, which is still better than what AF offered. It has a tag-on to CGK to give it a slight boost as well. KL had up to 10x weekly flights IIRC, but it's at least daily now. They're probably the European airline with the most confidence in KUL.

Or given the alliance between MH and KL... I trust many Americans would also fly on BA to KUL, now they they have choice with either BA, MH, CX and JL.

I agree, AF didn't really give much of a hope to the route. 5-7 weekly would be the minimum to attract business... LH is doing much better now that they have upped their frequency and gone non stop.

KL is one airline we have the most affinity with... They have been operating to Malaysia almost uninterrupted since the 20s.. Probably even longer than Imperial airways, BOAC and BA.

I'm glad lufthansa and BA are still around too. They are actually giving it a good go. look at azizul's posts in the BA thread - they have really pushed the boat out there for KUL

And I really hope that CM does not give up on CDG, now that the competition is giving up - if the loads are not good, maybe he can swap the dugongs to AMS and bring the B772s back to CDG.

It has a tag-on to CGK to give it a slight boost as well. KL had up to 10x weekly flights IIRC, but it's at least daily now. They're probably the European airline with the most confidence in KUL.

I don't think LH's tag-on to CGK is making it more profitable for LH (and that's if KUL/CGK is profitable). It increases the cost - crew spends 2 extra nights in KUL because of the tag-on. I am not privy to KUL/CGK's route performance but LH's decision to reverse 744 back to 343 for NW15/16 says something.

Or given the alliance between MH and KL... I trust many Americans would also fly on BA to KUL, now they they have choice with either BA, MH, CX and JL.

I don't believe BA markets that much North America - South East Asia flights (I rarely see any marketing for North East US-South East Asia flights on BA or LH, AF, and KL for that matter).

Edited by Craig

If MH really terminates its flights to Paris someday, I can see that this will be a temporary suspension only by AF. They might return back.

I doubt it.

AF never really had much presence in KUL even back in the day. They pulled out quickly after they took over UTA which had flew into KUL for some time.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Why don't MH and AF code share on the KUL-CDG route ? Perhaps MH or AF can operate it as a code shared? What are the traffic data between these two cities?

Why don't MH and AF code share on the KUL-CDG route ? Perhaps MH or AF can operate it as a code shared? What are the traffic data between these two cities?

Guess..they still being influenced by past story?I've read somewhere mentioned AF was the main reason MH can't become Skyteam member.

Guess..they still being influenced by past story?I've read somewhere mentioned AF was the main reason MH can't become Skyteam member.

Perhaps a refresh MH can give it a go, forgoing the past.

I remember reading about how AF was the biggest stumbling block to MH joining SkyTeam. KL and KE were keen for MH to join...

AF only flew to KUL once weekly when they took over the UTA route in the 90s. That didn't even last more than 2 years IIRC.

I think the KUL-CDG route needs more marketing effort by the tourism boards of both France and Malaysia.

For tourists, Paris is a very good point to start a European tour due to its great rail network to the EU countries and also to the UK.

Kuala Lumpur is also a great place for European tourists to start their tour of SE Asia - they can move off to Phuket, Bali, Borocay, etc. after doing a day or two in KL.

Kuala Lumpur is also a great place for European tourists to start their tour of SE Asia - they can move off to Phuket, Bali, Borocay, etc. after doing a day or two in KL.

Actually I was told that the 90% of the French passengers on CDG-KUL are pure transfers to DPS.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Actually I was told that the 90% of the French passengers on CDG-KUL are pure transfers to DPS.

so the transfers work better than the point to point, so can't MH and AF succeed in those aspects? Any traffic data between KUL and CDG anyone?

to DPS? connecting in KUL? Why not SIN? KL flies AMS - SIN - DPS.

I thought KLM and AF have a scissor hub in SIN where passengers can transfer to CGK or DPS on their own metal

Shame that no one is that interested to look around Malaysia.. With all the headlines coming out from Malaysia, even I would be a bit wary... Makes us all look like fools.

So those French pax would connect to MH? That's their only one-stop option to DPS via KUL.

Does AF website has such function to allow MH to pick up their passengers on connecting flight to DPS? Doesn't make sense to me since they are not codeshare partner and no same alliance partner.

AIRFRANCE Cancels Kuala Lumpur Service from late-Oct 2015

by JL

Update at 1920GMT 16JUN15

AIRFRANCE at the start of Winter 2015/16 schedule is cancelling Paris CDG – Kuala Lumpur route, 2.5 years after it relaunched service to Malaysia. The Skyteam member on Tuesday 16JUN15 gradually closed reservation on this route for travel on/after 25OCT15. Previously planned schedule from 25OCT15 as follow.

AF246 CDG1955 – 1520+1KUL 772 x235

AF241 KUL2340 – 0610+1CDG 772 x346

Sign in to follow this