MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
reezal

Brahim's-MAS catering deal "remains intact"

Lolx.....what a PR spin: essentially those horrible meals (there lackof) currently serve on board will continue as usual......

......"coupled with future new product offerings and menu structure at MAB"
One can hope for better product offerings, but I won't hold my breath for this to happen anytime soon......
The agreements are in two separate contracts covering “wide body aircraft” flights and “narrow body aircraft” flights, in line with international norms.
Buy on board meals for flight up to 3 hours?? Copying most intra-European flights?
Brahim’s said in a statement to Bursa Malaysia that BAC had no option but to sign the service level agreement (SLA) to maintain its role as an inflight meals caterer to MAS as well as staying relevant as a global halal flight kitchen servicing 36 other international airlines at the KLIA.
“BAC can be compelled under the new MAS Act to continue supplies to MAS despite MAS withholding payments and is prevented from filing legal action for unpaid receivables. This had also caused severe problems in cashflows to BAC operations and had affected its ability to upstream dividends to Brahim’s. Brahim’s as a holding company required cashflows from BAC to meet its debt obligation to avoid triggering loan defaults,” Brahim’s said.
Hahas!! Look who is the crying baby........
Edited by JuliusWong

The agreements are in two separate contracts covering wide body aircraft flights and narrow body aircraft flights, in line with international norms.

Buy on board meals for flight up to 3 hours?? Copying most intra-European flights?

Given that there is no directive for the new MAS to retain its positioning as a premium carrier - why not?

I recall reading on here that many wouldn't mind paying for food on board AK If its tasty.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Lolx.....what a PR spin: essentially those horrible meals (there lackof) currently serve on board will continue as usual......

......"coupled with future new product offerings and menu structure at MAB"

One can hope for better product offerings, but I won't hold my breath for this to happen anytime soon......

The agreements are in two separate contracts covering wide body aircraft flights and narrow body aircraft flights, in line with international norms.

Brahims said in a statement to Bursa Malaysia that BAC had no option but to sign the service level agreement (SLA) to maintain its role as an inflight meals caterer to MAS as well as staying relevant as a global halal flight kitchen servicing 36 other international airlines at the KLIA.

BAC can be compelled under the new MAS Act to continue supplies to MAS despite MAS withholding payments and is prevented from filing legal action for unpaid receivables. This had also caused severe problems in cashflows to BAC operations and had affected its ability to upstream dividends to Brahims. Brahims as a holding company required cashflows from BAC to meet its debt obligation to avoid triggering loan defaults, Brahims said.

Hahas!! Look who is the crying baby........

During the good days, mh profit guarantee was enough to service interest on loan taken to buy mas catering.

Expect narrow body inflight meal like Chinese carrier e.g kaya bun, coconut bun, fried rice, fried beehoon or alike.

Given that there is no directive for the new MAS to retain its positioning as a premium carrier - why not?

I recall reading on here that many wouldn't mind paying for food on board AK If its tasty.

MAS can become hybrid like OD,

or like ANA,the premium airlines with BOB service on domestic flights.

Existing contract between them will end in 2028 ! 25 years contract.

As such, there shouldn't be any downgrade or cutting corners of food served during this time.

Existing contract between them will end in 2028 ! 25 years contract.

As such, there shouldn't be any downgrade or cutting corners of food served during this time.

Actually for all intents and purposes that contract no longer exists for the new MAS (MAB - confuses things ain't it?)

But, outsiders told me that they are surprised that MAB still offers complimentary meal service, something that is already a distant past in their countries' airlines.

I was also told Ibrahim was instructed by MAB to provide economy meal at no more RM 10 per head, else they would seek for other caters. I do find the meal served on East Malaysia to KUL are much better than KUL to East Malaysia with only sandwiches.

I was also told Ibrahim was instructed by MAB to provide economy meal at no more RM 10 per head, else they would seek for other caters. I do find the meal served on East Malaysia to KUL are much better than KUL to East Malaysia with only sandwiches.

Food cost of some fast food restaurant is at about 40%. As Brahim need not pay loyalty payment or marketing cost, their facilities at KUL is fully depreciated, should be able to produce a decent meal with RM4 food cost and remain profitable.

But, outsiders told me that they are surprised that MAB still offers complimentary meal service, something that is already a distant past in their countries' airlines.

MH's peers (assumed FSC) are offering complimentary meal.

A packet of nasi lemak, a muffin or a packet of fried noodles should not cost more than RM3 and what more with a drink or water, it can surely be lesser than RM10 and yet make a profit since it is mass produced. Someone getting a cut somewhere at the expense of the national carrier all these years?

This Brahim is so evil. MH better terminate all contracts and source from Pak Nasser, Uncle Chin, Seri Melur Jaya etc instead. Let Brahim mereput.

I traveled from KUL to KCH in December with MAB and got fried rice with beef. It was actually fried rice with a bit of dried beef powder (Not the taste of real meat). I can say MAB catering is really poor and whoever responsible for the catering services should be fired. Most airlines that I have traveled serve better meals than MAB, even Air China's catering was far better than MAB. MAB are now at the best 3 star airlines and I don't see any reason why people still continue to fly them if you can get better option (especially on international routes). They dig themselves into a very big hole in my opinion.

Edited by I. Wong

I traveled from KUL to KCH in December with MAB and got fried rice with beef. It was actually fried rice with a bit of dried beef powder (Not the taste of real meat). I can say MAB catering is really poor and whoever responsible for the catering services should be fired. Most airlines that I have traveled serve better meals than MAB, even Air China's catering was far better than MAB. MAB are now at the best 3 star airlines and I don't see any reason why people still continue to fly them if you can get better option (especially on international routes). They dig themselves into a very big hole in my opinion.

I strongly agree with this. Whoever in charge with MH catering should be fired. Very poor catering. I have traveled often on MH Kul/akl and also with QF from Sin but its worlds apart as far as catering is concerned. For example,on my flight from syd/akl, a complimentary after take off drink,followed by drinks on cart (any drink you desire from the cart),followed by meal service 3 choice,garlic bread (yummy for Y class!) then later ice cream and before landing basket full of lindor chocs,just 3 and 1/2 hour flight!

I wont bother comparing the sin/syd leg with akl/kul cause its just a shame.

And sadly all then ulamaks after after the kabaya and the alcoholic drinks served on board,just to terlanjang it more.

They have lots to learn from QF.

Edited by jadivindra

So, just to expand on the bigotry in the last bits of your comments above; the kebaya and alcoholic drinks should remain as is to compensate the generally poor quality of f&b served on MH or would you want the "ulamaks" to also comment on the f&b quality, type of aircraft MH uses, size of PTVs, types of seats and the angles of recline, etc beyond just "kabaya and the alcoholic drinks"..?

It wasnt quite clear what you actually meant.

So, just to expand on the bigotry in the last bits of your comments above; the kebaya and alcoholic drinks should remain as is to compensate the generally poor quality of f&b served on MH or would you want the "ulamaks" to also comment on the f&b quality, type of aircraft MH uses, size of PTVs, types of seats and the angles of recline, etc beyond just "kabaya and the alcoholic drinks"..?

It wasnt quite clear what you actually meant.

If MH wants to remain a truly international airline,Its food and beverage offerings must be up with the rest.I don't normally drink alcoholics drinks on flight,but there are some other international travelers who do,wine with their meal and we should also cater for them,not just totally ignore them and live in a small world of our own.

I think we who grew up in Malaysia in the past generation are a very tolerant and respectful society members but cant say the same for the current generation albeit not everyone.

When one is drowning,to hold its head down the water by suggestions which is going to further erode its international feel if wrong.Hence the beverage offering should remain as it is.

As far as food is concerned on MH, I just dont know what to say. Just wish we could all sit together and send suggestions to the MH team on how catering can be improved. For a start, a great nasi lemak for Y class should be introduced as per the 90's.

Unless it is economically to do so because the caterer also service other airlines and its facilities are intact, maintaining a profit sucking vendor makes no sense, no matter how much penalty it would be if MAS is to shear off its ties with it.

It is like another Proton venture. Linked vendors continue to supply sub-standards products while maintaining high prices for it.

I just don't get it.

Why is the poor quality of Brahim's food only affects MAB and not other airline that they cater? Is it because MAB pay much less per pax compared to other airlines and hence the lousy food?

Also isn't there an auditor/catering division on MAB who should put certain standard or control over the food served on board than to blindly leave it to Brahim's?

I just don't get it.

Why is the poor quality of Brahim's food only affects MAB and not other airline that they cater? Is it because MAB pay much less per pax compared to other airlines and hence the lousy food?

Also isn't there an auditor/catering division on MAB who should put certain standard or control over the food served on board than to blindly leave it to Brahim's?

Great question Azri. Would certainly like to know the reasoning as well.

good point, MAB is not Brahim's only customer...and we rarely hear complains about the serving on other airlines...

Hope its not a case of where MAB's cost is partially used to subsidize other airlines (hence better quality food for them, and lesser for MAB). Sounds absurd but not impossible.

Hope its not a case of where MAB's cost is partially used to subsidize other airlines (hence better quality food for them, and lesser for MAB). Sounds absurd but not impossible.

The same way we subsidise Proton for better specs overseas and substandard spec for everyone here? All while they pay less than we do?

There is a video on The Edge Markets FB page which Brahim's ED speaks they prepare meals as per airline's request. Basically he is stating MH was the one who asked and paid for barebone meals....

Edited by JuliusWong

If that's the case, then it is understandable (though not necessarily acceptable).

However, isn't it the case where everyone has been complaining that MH has been paying a hefty premium?

On my last flight with EK, the catering from KUL was easily the worst. The best was from DXB followed closely by CDG. Was on the 343 so breakfast was served. Omelette tasted the same as the one on MH. Just as terrible. Portion was small too. The achilles heel in EK's KUL ops IMO

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Sign in to follow this