MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Inaugural Ceremony to KCH on Malindo will be on 04/04/13

OD1608

Price fare around MYR78 per way now. Anyone up for it?

*Subject to change*

:drinks:

KUCHING, April 4 (Bernama) -- Malindo Air aims for direct flights from
Borneo to China and Hong Kong by early 2014, said Chief Executive
Officer Chandran Rama Muthy.

He said the commencement of these flights will depend on market conditions.

"Malindo Air is a price-competitive company and we have big plans for
Malaysia," he told a press conference after officiating the Kuching
route expansion here Thursday.

"So far the support from the government has been very good and we will
expand. Pricing will depend on the market, and we can leverage on the
huge PT Lion Group and economies of scale," he said, adding the idea is
to give a good product and low-cost operations, with Malindo Air's cost
being very low.

Chandran said as of March, Malindo Air has done well with a load of
more than 70 per cent, and for the rest of the year the company is
aiming for an 80-90 per cent load.

"The next destination is Miri in June," he said.

On expansion plans, he said right now the idea is to make Malaysia a
transit hub for tourists coming in with Lion Air and also from the
Malindo Air network.

"The idea is to make Kuala Lumpur, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu as transit
hubs, and we want passengers from Jakarta to go to Kuala Lumpur and
Kuching, same goes with passengers from Pontianak to go to Kuching and
Kuala Lumpur as it saves a lot of time," he added.

http://aviation.bernama.com/news.php?id=939557&lang=en&cat=b

OD's Business Class has gone up to 688 one way...alamak...expensive...normal fare for Economy is 168 from KCH to KUL...huhuhu...not really cheap if you ask me...but I guess it's "value for money"???

OD's Business Class has gone up to 688 one way...alamak...expensive...normal fare for Economy is 168 from KCH to KUL...huhuhu...not really cheap if you ask me...but I guess it's "value for money"???

Well it sort of proves that the fares FY charged were not sustainable, if the airline's objective is to be profitable. It would appear that OD fares are just a little below MH's, except during route launch, when it is the cheapest.

Having sampled it today, despite some rough edges, I like Malindo. Definitely a value proposition and easily a good alternative to MH or AK. Love the legroom, IFE and friendly ground staff and FAs (none with attitude .. wink wink).

FA well groomed from above neck, very pleasant make up and hairdo. However below neck, let down by kebaya top. Like the idea and design but I imagine the girls had a tough time trying to maintain it crease free and pristine white. Had a bit of fun with sarong length spotting, discreetly..

Having sampled it today, despite some rough edges, I like Malindo. Definitely a value proposition and easily a good alternative to MH or AK. Love the legroom, IFE and friendly ground staff and FAs (none with attitude .. wink wink).

FA well groomed from above neck, very pleasant make up and hairdo. However below neck, let down by kebaya top. Like the idea and design but I imagine the girls had a tough time trying to maintain it crease free and pristine white. Had a bit of fun with sarong length spotting, discreetly..

Have to agree with you on the uniform...the white is really hard to maintain and the material not easy to care for...and yes...the slit...well...I'll just leave it to your imagination...which sector did you do? KUL-BKI?

So when is the next 739 will arrive? Heard they gonna focus more on ATR market afterwards..

Have to agree with you on the uniform...the white is really hard to maintain and the material not easy to care for...and yes...the slit...well...I'll just leave it to your imagination...which sector did you do? KUL-BKI?

KUL-KCH.. I meant non uniformity of the sarong length, some touching the floor and some higher up, not the slit length. What were you thinking about?! :p

And prefer the round neck kebaya, so demure and ayu. The V neck version when not well fitting has a unsightly extra fold making it look like W or U neck. Oopss..

Edited by V Wong

The 11am+ flight from KUL to KCH was delayed today. Something about changing tyre. Some passengers were very emotional and mad... oops! Some of the comments made are kinda childish as if it happens only on Malindo.

The 11am+ flight from KUL to KCH was delayed today. Something about changing tyre. Some passengers were very emotional and mad... oops! Some of the comments made are kinda childish as if it happens only on Malindo.

..."F1 car can change tayar much faster one. Why you take forever?" ....

At least it didn't happen in China... otherwise some gate staff would have been beaten up, or the boarding gate would have been trashed.

If that happens can Malindo cancel the flight and fly the plane back to KUL without passengers?

Typical Malaysian....

that's why I am sooo in love with my motherland!

:)

The domino effect is quite huge. A relative of mine on the 11.15pm flight KUL bound is still waiting at KCH with 2.45am the latest estimation of departure time.

Yes, that is because only one aircraft is operating all the flights. There is no spare plane to slot in when something goes wrong.

Yes, that is because only one aircraft is operating all the flights. There is no spare plane to slot in when something goes wrong.

Two to operate all the flights but one for each route....but then again, where is -LNB?

With the crazy weather we have here Kuching in the evening, most flights departing around 5pm are delayed up to an hour...it rains like there is no tomorrow...I think that is what affecting the flight delays also...not just technical problems I reckon...

Now, in response to Malindo recent launch; Malaysia Airlines today come out with the same rate for selected flights for the two routes that Malindo flown, that's really "competition feels goods"...wander why uncle Tony no response liao...

20 destinations on Malindo Air's radar

2-YEAR TARGET: Malindo Air plans to fly new routes such as China, Japan, South Korea and Indonesia from June

MALAYSIA'S first hybrid airline Malindo Air has mapped out a strategy to fly to some 20 destinations such as China, Japan and South Korea over the next two years.

The airline's chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy said between now and June, Malindo Air will fly to Miri, Sibu, Bintulu, Penang and New Delhi.

Malindo Air started its maiden flight on March 22 from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang.

Currently, it offers four daily flights between KLIA and Kuching and three daily flights between KLIA and Kota Kinabalu.

In the second half of this year, the airline hopes to fly to China, northern Japan, South Korea and Indonesia from the klia2 terminal, Chandran said.

klia2, the country's new low-cost carrier terminal, is slated to open on June 28 this year. It will be able to accommodate up to 45 million passengers a year.

"We will fly to new destinations when we increase our aircraft fleet. Currently, we are using two Boeing 737-900ERs to serve Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. By June this year, we will be adding two more B737-900s and between July and December, eight more," he said.

Chandran said Malindo Air is targeting to have some 100 planes in its portfolio over the next 10 years.

Starting from 2014, it plans to add 10 new aircraft a year.

The planes will be leased on long-term basis from Lion Air, which has placed an order for over 400 aircraft from Boeing.

Malindo Air is owned by the National Aerospace Defence Industries of Malaysia and Lion Air of Indonesia and offers a hybrid service, which is between full and low-cost airline service.

Jakarta-based Lion Air is Indonesia's largest privately run airline, holding the biggest share of the country's commercial passenger market. As of December 2012, it was the world's largest customer of B737-900s.

"We are riding on our parent company because of economy of scales.

"The whole idea is to position Malaysia as a transit hub. We want to create a hub at klia2 and the Kota Kinabalu airport to bring passengers from Lion Air to Malindo Air and fly them within Malaysia and to Asia," Chandran said.

Lion Air, which carried nearly 30 million passengers last year, expects to serve 36 million passengers this year. Malindo Air is targeting 10 per cent of the market from Kuching, Miri, Bintulu and Sibu.

"We are bullish on the performance of Malindo Air. We are neither a low-cost carrier nor a full-service airline. That is why we are called a hybrid airline. We provide aerobridge facilities and in-flight services, and affordable fares," he said.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20130412000418/Article/index_html