MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Can they actually do that, use one aircaft type to get AOC & operate another once it's received? Not really familiar with AOC application process

I think if they list down both aircraft type during AOC application it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway I'd think 738 and 739 are the same type of aircraft (at least for the purpose of flight operation)? Just like 772 and 773. So wouldn't be too much of a difference.

Malindo Air gets air operators licence from Malaysian govt

KUALA LUMPUR: It's all go for Malindo Air after it

received the air operators licence from the Malaysian government to

operate in the country.

Sources said on Tuesday Malindo can now start selling tickets for its low fare operations.

It will start flying at end-March.

Malindo's major shareholders are National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn Bhd (Nadi) and Indonesia's PT Lion Grup.

Malindo is 51% owned by Nadi and 49% by PT Lion Grup, the parent of Indonesia's

privately-owned airline, Lion Air, which in turn controls about half of the Indonesia domestic air travel market.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/2/26/business/20130226133824&sec=business

Malindo cleared for takeoff By B.K. SIDHU

bksidhu@thestar.com.my

ETALING JAYA: It's all systems go for Malindo Air, the country's second low-fare airline, now that it has obtained the air operators certificate (AOC), giving it the right to provide commercial flights out of Malaysia.

This marks a significant change to the local travel landscape, as Malindo's debut also heralds the addition of a third airline to the country's aviation sector afterAirAsia and Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

Observers opined that Malindo's entry would not only ramp up competition in the market, leaving consumers spoilt for choice, but also prepare Malaysia for the ensuing competition when Asean's skies liberalise.

The AOC should also put to rest scepticism that Malindo was just a “flight of fancy” and that it would not take off. On the contrary, the airline will begin flying from March 20 to March 30, chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy told StarBiz.

Chandran said that with the AOC in place, the airline could now begin selling tickets. “Ticket sales should begin within this week,” he added.

“We cannot sell tickets until we have obtained the AOC,” he explained.

He said getting the AOC required “a rigorous process of certification and trials” and that “we had conducted our test flight last week, and can operate now and will firmly stick to our March launch date”.

The AOC certification was obtained yesterday from the Department of Civil Aviation, providing the airline, in one fell swoop, domestic and international rights to operate both local and foreign flights out of any airport in Malaysia.

The airline's inaugural flight will be from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu, a sector that holds a lot of potential ever since Firefly's jet operations ceased to operate over a year ago. This is despite the many flights offered by both AirAsia and MAS.

Malindo is a joint venture between Malaysia's Nadi Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's largest domestic carrier, Lion Air parent PT Lion Grup.

The airline will be operating the B737-900ER aircraft, and its first aircraft is slated to arrive on March 15 followed by the second on March 19, said Chandran.

The airline will be taking delivery of at least one aircraft every following month, translating into it having at least a dozen aircraft by the end of the year.

It would have flown to parts of South-East Asia by which time. It is also targetting to fly to China and India this year. In 10 years, Malindo would be operating a fleet of 100 aircraft.

The airline has thus far hired 100 cabin crew and pilots and has a total workforce of 160, including its management team, Chandran said.

Source: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/2/27/business/12764714&sec=business

So it's going to be KUL - KCH / BKI in March... but still no reservation can be made yet...

The Malindo website is up and running. Made a dummy booking and everything seems fine all the way to the final page. One thing I like about it is the passenger details and payment page are all in one page.

Malindo Air B737-900ER Seat Pitch:

Business Class - 45"

Economy Class - 32"

vs

Malaysia Airlines B737-800 (sky interior) Seat Pitch:

Business Class - 42"

Economy Class - 30"

:rolleyes:

Business Class - 45"

Economy Class - 32"

vs

Business Class - 42"

Economy Class - 30"

If so... that's VERY different from their mainline Lionair 739ER's - awful awful awful x 100000000000000000000000000 seat pitch.

Business Class - 45"

Economy Class - 32"

vs

Business Class - 42"

Economy Class - 30"

Sure you didn't exchange data by mistake?

It's not 45" pitch but 45" legroom for Malindo's J class. Seat pitch of 32" for Y is correct.

If 45" is just for legroom, that's crazy...herringbone design I dont think so.

They seem to be having a different business model and obviously a different image from the mainland brand in Indonesia. From my understanding of what I have seen and read, Malindo is like Jetstar, a hybrid, not a full scale LCC most definitely.

Their product seems great. Free baggage allowance (of 15 kg and 30 kg respectively). As Isaac mentioned above, their seat pitch is surprisingly better than MH on the new BSI B738s. Business Class product especially looks very good from the picture.

While their booking system is doing fine as experienced by SM Tang, I hope the other functions on the website will be made available fast. It's a shame if they can not showcase what seem to be a good product at a great price on the website. I would certainly appreciate more and bigger pictures of the seats (a virtual cabin scenery would be tremendous) and more details on the IFE (is it being charged or not and the rates). Will there be a BOB meals option?

Are the cabin crew will be all Malaysians? Or they will be some secondments from Lion mainline?

We have a few members here going to start a career with Malindo. I wish all of you all the best of luck and godspeed!

Their website suddenly not returning any flights when i search - was ok earlier and i was about to book then. Glitch perhaps.

I guess not really ready yet, some of the links are not working, too.

Hmmm 4 times daily to KCH and 3 times daily to BKI.

I bet they will initiate emails and alert when it's all up and ready.

Their website suddenly not returning any flights when i search - was ok earlier and i was about to book then. Glitch perhaps.

Maybe in the meantime someone saw your impression of them at reply #291 and decided not to take any further risk ?!! :lol: :pardon:

Maybe in the meantime someone saw your impression of them at reply #291 and decided not to take any further risk ?!! :lol: :pardon:

Thats what we call.. great "quiet" observation of how potential customers/customers view their airline's website/operations/etc etc and quick response to it :)