MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Actually not just Singapore, lion indeed is England's national animal (according to Wiki). Hence we can see lions in many England national symbols / emblems

Lions are not native to Europe nor the British soil. They made a foreign animal as their national animal is symbolic of colonial power... King of the jungle. O/T.

The word Singa should be of Indian origin (Sanskrit)? In the old days it may nt mean lion.

Singa is an apotropaic figure from the mythology of the Batak people of North Sumatra, Indonesia. The singa represents a benevolent and protective power. The singa is described as "part human, part water buffalo, and part crocodile or lizard".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singa_(mythology)

Edited by S V Choong

Sang Nila Utama landed on a beach at Temasek, and spotted a Singh who made donno. He uttered, "Singh ini berpura-pura" - "This Singh is pretending (not to see me)". Whence 'Singapura'. Sorry, severely O/T.

"Pura" or "Pora" sounds like no in Tamil?

Currently the most shared info by those in the aviation circle in my FB network. Authenticity is NOT guaranteed.

*Malindo Air*

If you are looking for positions in the aviation industry, this is a great opportunity you shouldn't miss. Malindo Air invites all experience and non-experience candidates to our walk-in interview day for the positions of Pilots/Cabin Crew/Engineering/General Positions as follows:

Date: 31/10 (Thursday) ; 1/11 (Friday); 2/11(Saturday)

Time: 10.00am - 4.00pm (Saturday till 12 noon).

Venue: Level 4 Airline Office, Main Terminal Building (MTB), KLIA

Thanks

Management

Indeed "Singa" and "pura" are both of Sanskrit origin. And they mean "lion" and "city" respectively. A lion sighting in Singapore is at best a factual abberation ... but then, in a legend, anything goes. If anything, Parameswara probably saw a tiger that was having a bad-hair day.

KC Sim

Indeed "Singa" and "pura" are both of Sanskrit origin. And they mean "lion" and "city" respectively. A lion sighting in Singapore is at best a factual abberation ... but then, in a legend, anything goes. If anything, Parameswara probably saw a tiger that was having a bad-hair day.

KC Sim

that is hilarious KC! maybe he saw one at the night safari?

And add the "Merlion" into the equation and you get...

Currently the most shared info by those in the aviation circle in my FB network. Authenticity is NOT guaranteed.

*Malindo Air*

If you are looking for positions in the aviation industry, this is a great opportunity you shouldn't miss. Malindo Air invites all experience and non-experience candidates to our walk-in interview day for the positions of Pilots/Cabin Crew/Engineering/General Positions as follows:

Date: 31/10 (Thursday) ; 1/11 (Friday); 2/11(Saturday)

Time: 10.00am - 4.00pm (Saturday till 12 noon).

Venue: Level 4 Airline Office, Main Terminal Building (MTB), KLIA

Thanks

Management

More info here WRT walk in interview. The dates are different.

http://flylah.com/aviation-talk/topic1616-20.html

:hi:

My colleagues had just confirmed on this matter with NADI.. They are for real but for professional positions i:e engineers or pilots, it would be more likea resume submissions.. Interviews will be scheduled later on..

My colleagues had just confirmed on this matter with NADI.. They are for real but for professional positions i:e engineers or pilots, it would be more likea resume submissions.. Interviews will be scheduled later on..

No admin staff? I'm forcing my sister to go there as she's going to graduate from U in a few months. Computer Science.

Its stated in the ads pilots, engineers and other general positions....

No admin staff? I'm forcing my sister to go there as she's going to graduate from U in a few months. Computer Science.

U are attempting to put your "spy" in? ;)

Over 2,000 jobseekers at Malindo Airways office

PETALING JAYA: Over 2,000 people looking for jobs showed up at the walk-in interview at Malaysia's newest low cost airline, Malindo Airways office at KLIA on Thursday morning.

The airline did not expect so many people to show up. A large number of those who showed up were pilots, as there are over 1,174 pilots in the country that are still unemployed.

Malindo is offering jobs for pilots, cabin crew, engineering and general support positions.

The airline has taken up space at KLIA main terminal building where its office is located and the airline is planning to begin commercial operations on May 1, starting with flights to Indonesia.

This will be the country's second low cost airline after AirAsia. Malindo is a joint venture between Malaysia's Nadi Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's Lion Air. Nadi has 51% equity stake in Malindo while the owners of Lion Air, the Kirana brothers hold 49% stake in Malindo via PT Lion Grup.

Source : http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/11/1/business/20121101114126&sec=business

Country’s newest low-cost airline to hire 50% of unemployed pilots

By B.K. SIDHU

bksidhu@thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: Malindo Air is set to at least halve Malaysia's problem of unemployed pilots.

The country's newest low-cost airline and its partner Lion Air will absorb all the 600-odd pilots who turned up for the walk-in interview at the KL International Airport yesterday.

And they might take more with further interviews planned for today and tomorrow, according to Malindo Air chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy.

He told The Star: “We will take all of them (who turned up yesterday) and more pilots provided they meet all our requirements which include them passing our entrance examinations and meeting Department of Civil Aviation regulations.

“We will take them within a year. The timing is subject to availability of our instructors and simulator. We intend to position one simulator in Kuala Lumpur early next year.”

He added that Malindo would take some of the pilots and the others would be absorbed by Indonesia's Lion Air, that country's largest privately-owned airline, controlling 50% of the domestic air market.

Those hired will have to undertake an aircraft-type rating, and payment for the training would be through bank loans and other sources of funding, Chandran said.

Malindo, launched last September, is a joint venture between Malaysia'sNadi Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's PT Lion Grup, which controls Lion Air. Nadi has 51% stake in Malindo with PT Lion Grup holding the remaining equity.

Malaysia has 1,174 unemployed pilots, many of whom cannot repay the bank loans they took to obtain the commercial pilot licence which costs an average of RM250,000.

Malindo has given them a ray of hope. Chandran said: “As our group grows, we would need more pilots. We have already ordered over 300 new aircraft to add to our present fleet of 75. We will have the capacity to hire more pilots but it would be done in stages.''

“We have the capacity to absorb more pilots over time because Lion Air now hires pilots from Europe and since Malaysia has unemployed pilots, we can now source them from here,'' Chandran added.

Over 3,000 people attended the walk-in interview yesterday for positions of pilots, cabin crew, engineers and support staff.

Chandran said: “We are building an airline that will have 100 aircraft in 10 years. In five years, we would have created 5,000 jobs.''

They took all the pilots? Are they going to cover all Asia Pacific during the launch or what?

Malindo Air brings forward operations date to mid-March

PETALING JAYA: Malindo Air which is supposed to start flying May next year has brought forward the launch date to mid-March and will begin with domestic flights and a month later it will expand to offer international flights with its first stop being India, said PT Lion Grupchief Rusdi Kirana.

In a telephone interview, he said that he had decided to delay the launch of Indonesia's Batik Air from March to year-end in 2013 because he wanted to focus on building Malindo to become regional player sooner.

“We will delay Batik Air launch because we can now use Malindo to fly international routes. You must remember that Indonesians like to fly the world via Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Bangkok and Lion Air, being the biggest domestic carrier can be a feeder for Malindo for the international connectivity,” he said.

“It is possible for us to bring forward the launch date because the aircraft meant for Batik Air will now be allocated to Malindo. Batik Air was only going to offer point to point services but we are more keen to have a hub in KL to move traffic beyond KL.

“We now fly the most number of points within Indonesia and imagine the traffic volume that we can bring from all these destinations into KL and beyond to countries such as Thailand, China, India, Vietnam and Hong Kong,” he said, adding that “We would fly where the Indonesians like to go and the feed will be from Indonesia.”

This year Lion Air would have flown 30 million passengers, and next year it is targeting 35 million and Malindo Air CEO Chandran Ramamuthy said “if we can divert 10% of that traffic into KL and beyond, it would be good.”

PT Lion has a 49% stake in Malindo Airways Sdn Bhd which will operate Malindo Air. PT Lion owns the whole of Lion Air and Batik Air, a new start up for international routes. The remaining stake in Malindo is held by Tan Sri Ahmad Johan via Nadi Sdn Bhd. Ahmad Johan also owns Mofas Air.

Lion Air has 600 take-offs daily and it has ordered more than 300 new aircraft from Boeing whose deliveries stretch through to 2026.

It currently has 75 aircraft.

Malindo will take delivery of the first two B737-900ER in March, followed by and two each in April and May.

On funding he said “I think it is not going to be so much, the idea is to have 12 aircraft next year.”

Rusdi said the first two aircraft will be used to ply the Kuala Lumpur-Sabah and Sarawak routes.

The next two will be used for flights to India, and its first stop will be Trichy but New Dehli will be added to its network.

“In May we will fly to China and are looking at cities such as Canton and Shenzhen, and will also add Hong Kong,” he said.

Asked if Malindo had the rights to fly the international routes like China and India, he said “we are in the process of getting the rights.”

Chandran added that “we have had a series of meetings with the regulators and we are confident that we can start in March. We have submitted all the applications and are awaiting for approvals.”

Asked on competition he said “if you see AirAsia Indonesia and Garuda, they have a big network in Indonesia but their market share is smaller than ours and we have 600 take offs in a day, and we carry 100,000 passengers a day. So with kind of traffic, and if we have more destinations, we can carry more passengers. We fly to 69 points such as Sulawesi, Kalimantan, Pekan Baru, Medan, Semairiang, Solo, Pontianak and all this traffic (needs to go somewhere). That is why we think we can be successful with Malindo,” he said.

On the overwhelming response to Malindo walk in interview he said “it is good that there are a lot of people who want to be involved in the aviation industry. There is a good time to expand in Malaysia given the pool of human resources here.”

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/11/2/business/12262688&sec=business

Malindo Air – a ray of hope for unemployed pilots

THE 1,714 unemployed pilots in the country are hoping to land jobs at Malaysia's newest low cost airline, Malindo Air.

It may be a long shot but still a ray of hope for them.

For a long time now, many who had spent an average of RM250,000 to get their flying licence have not been able to land a job to pilot planes in the country because there are just too few pilot jobs versus the number of candidates who obtained their commercial plane licence.

They also are not able to market themselves globally because they have clocked too few hours in training to be considered by foreign airlines.

So, when Malindo advertised for several jobs this week, over 3,000 waited for hours for a chance to meet the interviewers. This is despite stuffy conditions and lack of chairs because of overwhelming response. Among them were 600 pilots.

The walk-in interview began yesterday and will last till Saturday and Malindo plans to hire pilots, cabin crew, engineering and support staff to begin operations in mid-March.

For those who get the job, it will be a chance of a lifetime to finally fly a plane.

Malindo is a joint venture between Malaysia's Nadi Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's largest privately-owned airline Lion Air. Lion Air is owned by Kusnan and Rusdi Kirana, the two brothers whose net worth is estimated by Forbes at US$580mil as at 2010. Lion Air controls 50% of the domestic Indonesian market.

Nadi is controlled by low-key businessman Tan Sri Ahmad Johan and Nadi has 51% equity stake in Malindo while PT Lion Grup holds the remaining 49%.

Malindo has an office in KL International Airport (KLIA) and will begin flying from KLIA but when KLIA2 opens, it will move there. It will also have a secondary hub in Kota Kinabalu.

Malindo will operate domestic operations first, beginning with flights from KLIA to either Sabah or Sarawak. It will use the B737-900ER aircraft. It will take delivery of two aircraft each in March to May.

By mid-year it will have six aircraft and by end-2013, it will have 12. In 10 years, it plans to have 100 aircraft and employ 5,000 people in five years.

Rusdi is confident his business model for Malindo will work because it has worked for Lion Air, which has 600 daily flights and carries 100,000 passengers in Indonesia. Malindo will be the international arm for Lion Air, which will feed traffic to Malindo.

Feeder traffic is important in a competitive market place as no airline wants to fly half-filled aircraft at a time when jet fuel prices are rising.

He may be confident but his sceptics are quick to point out that he is in for a lot of competition and it would be a rough ride. AirAsia, for one, is not going to let them have it easy especially on its home turf.

But more importantly, Malindo can hire a large number of the unemployed pilots in the country.

Six hundred is just the interim figure and it could even hire up to 1,000, according to Malindo CEO Chandran Ramamuthy. He is so confident that between Malindo and Lion Air, there will be enough capacity to cater for up to 1,000 pilots. He says Lion Air is hiring pilots from Europe and since Malaysia has a pool of talent, why not source it from Malaysia.

Chandran is a Malaysian and is one of the most trusted lieutenants of Rusdi.

If you analyse their modus operandi, they are being smart in hiring those who already have a licence as Malindo or Lion does not have to incur the cost of putting freshies through pilot school and bonding them for years. Malindo and Lion will help licenced pilots get bank loans to pay for the aircraft type rating training and offer them jobs at the airline.

It is a win win for both, though some may disagree. However, for the longer term they will look into training of cadets too, says Chandran.

By doing so, they are helping to solve the problem of surplus pilots in the country which was also highlighted by Singaporean newspapers last week.

Today is day two of Malindo's walk-in interview and tomorrow is the last day. The beeline will continue and according to Chandran, “we have room to accommodate more pilots.''

Although Malindo and Lion Air have big plans to hire more pilots they must remember one thing they have to keep their promises and not break the hearts of the unemployed pilots.

• Deputy news editors B.K. Sidhu believes the Government should make it mandatory for all training schools in the country to offer aircraft type training so that pilots can clock in hours that will make them more marketable globally.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/11/2/business/12261345&sec=business

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaha!! The Government should make it mandatory for all training schools in the country to offer aircraft type training?? How much will the final bill be???

So Malindo will start with a bunch of inexperienced pilots - I wonder how many hours a Malindo B737 Captain will have on his logbook? Will it compromise safety?

I also wonder what their salaries will be, since this is a buyer's market. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. ;)

So Malindo will start with a bunch of inexperienced pilots - I wonder how many hours a Malindo B737 Captain will have on his logbook? Will it compromise safety?

I also wonder what their salaries will be, since this is a buyer's market. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. ;)

That's why you have DCA...

That's why you have DCA...

That's why you hope that DCA will be able to do its job without hinder or smoke-screen.

Whilst I applaud the effort to employ the unemployed pilots - in this day and age and following aircraft accidents such as AF447 and QFA032 as examples - experience really has profound and immeasurable wealth in this industry.

Safety first.

The scene at MTB Level 4 yesterday was chaos. I was there, trying my luck. First impression, no system at all. Recruitment was planned hastily, there's no point in giving out test if people are free to discuss. My friend was the last to be called in for interview, having to wait from 11am to 6pm.

Few points to ponder :

1) Why not hire like other airlines, submit CV, then be called for interview and sit for tests, maybe sim check?

2) Why not separate recruitment days for flight crew, engineering and general positions on separate days? The place was too small, too many people clueless where to go.

3) Why not set up proper structure first, Chief Pilot, Engineering Manager etc before going on recruitment spree?

4) No proper line set up, i even saw some forms filled by hopefuls being left in the open. What if someone came and deliberately throw the forms?

5) Read in the star, Malindo will arrange with banks for pilots to pay for ratings.

This trait of making pilots pay for rating will discourage experienced guy from joining in. Just look at how Lion Air choose their co-pilots. Why dont they learn something and invest in human capital (provide training with bonds, and choose carefully).

Rusdi Kirana was there yesterday. I'm going to try my luck again tomorrow.

That's why you hope that DCA will be able to do its job without hinder or smoke-screen.

Whilst I applaud the effort to employ the unemployed pilots - in this day and age and following aircraft accidents such as AF447 and QFA032 as examples - experience really has profound and immeasurable wealth in this industry.

Safety first.

Because we - out here - can only hope....until the next incident or accident that is proven to be due to lack of regulatory oversight.