MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Northern Winter 2012 Operational Changes

I think the sudden change in schedules and the deployment of the A330s on longer haul routes, reflects MHs lack of a new long-haul product. The A380 will hardly to a dent. MH needs to find a long-haul workhorse to replace the B777s, ASAP, if it wants to compete. The A330s lie-flat J is certainly not the right recipe for a competitive long-haul J product.

That's so true. Even if they placed 777 replacement (787 or A350) a long time ago, they won't get it at least until 2013. What they have to do is re-furbish! KE, TG and SQ has refurbished/are refurbishing their 777, while MH couldn't bother to do so.

MH new angled J class are only meant for regional flight; I have no idea why they would deploy it on MEL, a long haul route. The J class is way behind as compared to EK and SQ's. Opposite can be said for Y class.

With EKs and SQ dishing out superior service and hard products, MH is currently fighting a losing battle. MH will refurbish its B777s of course, but with new seat cover: more smarties seats anyone?? and handheld portable entertainment set.... :sorry:

Time to retire older A333s and A332, accelerate A333 and B738 deliveries, implement "new and complete refurbishment". With these, hopefully can allow MH to buy some time until B787 and A350 backlog is lesser.

Technically MH is not downgrading its MEL services. The A330s are far superior, in terms of Y, and have the same capacity as the B777. However, the only problem is that they're meant for REGIONAL flights. I certainly don't think MEL is regional at all. It'll be competing with SQs A380s and EKs B77Ws on this route. Good luck.

It has reported on Airliner Route Update that melbourne will loose its SQ A380 service from January 2012. Not sure why, or for how long.

Also another query...

If I do a 'dummy' booking for both ADL-KUL-ADL and MEL-KUL-MEL it is showing B772's from November 1st onwards. From September 27th until Ocotber 29th it is showing A333's for both these sectors. does this mean the A333's will only last a month or Mh have not updated the booking system from beyond this point. Just a query that is intriging to me, I would hate for the A333's to last a month in Adelaide.

It has reported on Airliner Route Update that melbourne will loose its SQ A380 service from January 2012. Not sure why, or for how long.

Also another query...

If I do a 'dummy' booking for both ADL-KUL-ADL and MEL-KUL-MEL it is showing B772's from November 1st onwards. From September 27th until Ocotber 29th it is showing A333's for both these sectors. does this mean the A333's will only last a month or Mh have not updated the booking system from beyond this point. Just a query that is intriging to me, I would hate for the A333's to last a month in Adelaide.

Equipment change quite frequently as the time approaches the date of flight. The aircraft we see now in the booking engine maybe just temporary and last minute adjustment can be made.Overbooking maybe also a reason, same goes to SQ's A380 MEL service.

Also MEL downgraded to 333. Reflecting competition and demand on this route?

It's actually an upgauge (although not by much). The 772 seats 35-247 while the 333 seats 36-247 (an additional seat in C). Although the seat pitch is reduced, passengers get a newer product with better IFE and more importantly, in-seat power.

Also another query...

Looks like MH changed it again over the weekend, that's why you're seeing ADL/MEL/PER operating with 772 and DEL 330 (old A330-300) from 30OCT11.

Emirates and Etihad have good connections on the LHR-KUL route. When I have checked the fares in recent months MH has always been more than £200 more expensive for a return flight. Also Etihad and Emirates have more modern aircraft, better in flight entertainment and better catering. My next LHR-KUL flight is on Etihad.

Air Asia X flights to London must have also had some impact on MH passenger numbers.

Geoff

I don't understand why SQ are pulling the A380s off MEL, and during peak season too! Where the flights go out and in jammed packed with pax. The booking system however and also SQ MEL office said that they will be back on March 25/26, so I'm confident they will come back soon! I was hoping for x2 Daily A380, I hope it eventually happens. Unless SQ plans to make MEL x4 Daily or introduce it's new low cost carrier on the route to fight with JQ on home turf. EK plans to put the A380 on MEL soon too on one of it's x3 Daily flights.

Hopefully MH will also send their A380s to MEL in 2012 or 2013! I'm very very hopeful! :)

Actually they decided to keep the 747 flight in the morning

MH has no idea what the hell they want.

:lol:

Title says it all. MH74 changed from departing at before 7pm daily to leaving KUL at almost 1am, effective Mar25. The change in timing is strange. Sure, it allows an (very) early start to the day in HKG and allows one to enjoy dinner in KUL before flying back to HKG - but on an A330 with an ancient cabin & LCC-esque flight timings?

Makes you wonder if this is more than just optimization of aircraft usage, given that it still leaves HKG (on the return leg) as per original schedule.

A recipe for disaster ...... subsequently, the 'Fat Dandy' will axe it because it is not economically viable and leave to the 'red brigade' to serve the route with minimum competition from MAS ....... :angry:

On the other hand, CX just announced that the 4th daily flt to KUL will be introduced in summer schedule (effective 25 Mar), flt number CX791/790.

:hi:

A recipe for disaster ...... subsequently, the 'Fat Dandy' will axe it because it is not economically viable and leave to the 'red brigade' to serve the route with minimum competition from MAS ....... :angry:

On the other hand, CX just announced that the 4th daily flt to KUL will be introduced in summer schedule (effective 25 Mar), flt number CX791/790.

Looks like CX is doing to MH on the HKG route what EK did to MH on the DXB route.

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here you go:

http://www.routesonl...-to-south-asia/

Kuala Lumpur – Kathmandu

MH170 KUL0855 – 1130KTM 738 246

MH171 KTM1220 – 1915KUL 738 246

Also increase frequency to India

Kuala Lumpur – Bangalore

MH104 KUL0950 – 1120BLR 738 146

MH192 KUL2210 – 2340BLR 738 D

MH193 BLR0045 – 0730KUL 738 D

MH105 BLR1120 – 1855KUL 738 146

Kuala Lumpur – Mumbai

MH174 KUL0920 – 1145BOM 738 357

MH194 KUL2010 – 2245BOM 772 D

MH175 BOM1240 – 2020KUL 738 357

MH195 BOM2355 – 0730+1KUL 772 D

MH also opened a second branch in Sri Lanka, coincides with UL announcement to join oneworld.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_12A/Jul02_1341209763CH.php

Edited by Johan Z

I wonder if Doc Naim and mem already packing their bags ?! tongue.gif

KTM? Keretapi Tanah Melayu?

Hahahha, from one loss making transportation company to another! Lol Naim

Found this article, it seems AirAsia is scheduled to launch KTM too, as well as this BB airways.

NEW AIRLINES TO LAUNCH FLIGHT ON THE KATHMANDU-KUALA LUMPUR ROUTE

While national carrier Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC) is the lone carrier plying on the Malaysian (Kathmandu-Kuala Lumpur) route, competition is now heating up as three new airlines are about to join the fray. Budget carrier AirAsia, Malaysia’s flag carrier Malaysia Airlines and BB Airways are all planning to operate on Kathmandu-Kuala Lumpur route. AirAsia has planned to launch flights on the route by the end of June, Malaysia Airlines from Sept 1st and BB Airways by Sept 13th. The Air Service Agreement (ASA) between Nepal and Malaysia allows Malaysian carriers to operate up to 21 flights a week.

SOURCE: http://globalnepaltours.com/2012/06/new-airlines-to-launch-flight-on-the-kathmandu-kuala-lumpur-route/

Sign in to follow this