MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

actually MAHB says it costs only rm80 for a A320 to use the aerobridge

Yup, but they disguised their extra charge by adding "check-in system" into the fees. I suspect they are charging this much as they also have advance bookings dating back many months - these were never charged "klia2 fees".

We shall see if these additional klia2 and checked-in baggage fees will have an impact on bookings. Soon, they may have to run some "zero klia2 fees" promos! ;)

SEPANG, May 9 (Bernama) -- The curtain came down early Friday on the operations at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) with the departure of the last flight from the facility that has given way to the KL International Airport 2 (klia2) which opened for budget carriers on May 2.

The operations at the LCCT ceased after eight years with the departure of AirAsia X Flight D7 170 to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, at 2.35 am.

The last AirAsia flight out of the LCCT was at 10.30 pm THursday. Flight AK63 left for Kolkata, India.

The new terminal klia2 was opened as the LCCT was unable to handle the budget carrier passenger traffic that had reached 22 million people per year, way beyond its 15 million people capacity per annum.

AirAsia started operating out of klia2 with its first flight into the new facility arriving from Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, at 3.50 pm.

The klia2 terminal, built at a cost of RM4 billion, can handle up to 45 million passengers annually, and AirAsia is expected to contribute about 80 per cent of the traffic.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd had said that the LCCT would be turned into an air cargo terminal.

The LCCT, which was opened by the then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on March 23, 2006, had the capacity initially to handle 10 million passengers annually. The facility was expanded in 2009 to handle 15 million passengers.

Besides airlines of the AirAsia group, including AirAsia, AirAsia X, Indonesia AirAsia, Thai AirAsia and AirAsia Zest, three other airlines used the LCCT, namely Tiger Air, Lion Air and Cebu Pacific Air.

AirAsia Bhd CEO Aireen Omar, who spoke to reporters at the LCCT last night, talked of nostalgia.

"The last night for us ... is a very sad feeling in the sense that the LCCT had been so kind to us," she said.

Aireen said AirAsia had a lot of wonderful memories at the LCCT.

"Many good memories here with a lot of good launches, new routes and a lot of international connectivity created," she said.

"We made the LCCT a very well-known low cost carrier airport hub in this region and I think it is very sad feeling for us here tonight."

Asked whether AirAsia planned to hire more employees after the move to klia2 since the new airport is thrice the size of the LCCT in terms of capacity, Aireen said the company would improve its processes without increasing the manpower.

"We want to make sure productivity continues to increase. Therefore, I expect them (the employees) to be multitasking and smarter to maximise their efficiency," she said.

She said this was for better investment for the future and for the growth of the business.

Understand MAHB insisted AirAsia on using their check in system by SITA which is less versatile and more costly. Lot's of modification/reconfiguration needed especially on AirAsia's self help kiosks. Lots of those are abandoned in LCCT.

klia2 HANDLING MORE MOVEMENTS WITH ARRIVAL OF AIRASIA

09 May 2014

Sepang, 9 May 2014 - The arrival of AirAsia family into klia2 since yesterday has seen a significant rise in passenger and flight movements handled at klia2. Malaysia Airports continues to work closely with all airlines particularly AirAsia on their migration to handle teething problems that arose. The first wave of the peak hours from 5.00 am to 8.00 am this morning was handled generally well by both the airport and airlines. The core operational systems ran smoothly however there is still a need to fine tune some of the processes by all parties for further improvements.

Malaysia Airports held the first post migration meeting with the AirAsia team this morning to discuss the operational issues encountered by both parties. Both parties were focused on improving the passenger experience moving forward. Amongst the processes to be fine tuned are delivery time for baggage reclaim, check-in queue management, security and customs clearance, toilet cleanliness, signages, communication and ground handling resources. Both parties have agreed to work on these together in the quickest time possible to minimize inconvenience to passengers.

We have also received enquiries from the public on the RM 3 labelled as klia2 fees included in AirAsia ticket price. We have highlighted to AirAsia to explain this additional RM 3 fee to the public. There is no charge such as klia2 fee by the airport. The airport charges are standard and applicable to all airlines at our airports.

Malaysia Airports has also taken the initiative to place more ambassadors and customer service assistants at klia2 and Gateway@klia2 to assist passengers during this transition period. Passengers and the public can also approach Malaysia Airports' Information Counters for any queries or assistance.

With the second phase of migration by AirAsia to klia2 starting 8 May, all airlines previously operating at LCCT-KLIA are now fully operating at klia2. klia2 now houses AirAsia, AirAsia X, Indonesia AirAsia, Thai AirAsia, AirAsia Zest, Malindo Airways, Lion Air, Tiger Airways and Cebu Pacific Airways. The arrival of AirAsia into klia2 was marked with the arrival flight from Ho Chi Minh at 3.50pm yesterday and saw klia2 handled a total of 75 aircraft movements and successfully processed 8,900 passengers. Out of the 75 aircraft movements, there were 30 total flights from Malindo Airways, 6 by Lion Air, 8 by Tiger Airways, 4 by Cebu Pacific and 27 by AirAsia.

The LCCT-KLIA will cease operations after 9 May 2014. For the convenience of passengers departing from the LCCT-KLIA before 2 May and arriving at klia2 after 9 May, complimentary shuttle bus service between klia2 and LCCT-KLIA will be provided by Malaysia Airports from 1st May until 15th May 2014. The shuttle bus will be available every 15 - 20 minutes. The shuttle bus can be boarded at the same location for bus services in LCCT and at the klia2 transport hub on Level 1. All public transportation into LCCT-KLIA will be operating as usual until 9 May 2014.

Source: MAHB

Edited by flee

Smooth Start For AirAsia At Klia2, But Some Delays For AirAsia X

SEPANG, May 9 (Bernama) -- The first official day of operation at klia2 for AirAsia Bhd has been quite smooth except for a few confusions, said Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Aireen Omar.

"But overall we treat it as a positive experience for us," she said after presenting prizes for the winners of a Twitter campaign called #noweveryonecanfly here today.

She said AirAsia may need a little more time to resolve the problems but believes that with their own experience in the industry they would be able to effectively address the issues.

However, AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman-Rani said the first few departures were not smooth for the low-cost long-haul airline.

"There were six flights delayed, by an average of 21 minutes per flight," he said, adding that the biggest challenge for the company was coordination with the specific parking bay or boarding gate.

"Those are the things that we have to iron out with the airport authority," he added.

Asked on the aerobrigde charge that would be borne by the passengers, he said the facility has been made mandatory for them.

"We have no choice but to accept to use the check-in system that was imposed on us by the authority," he added.

Beginning today, 3,550 AirAsia operations staff and 70 aircraft will be based at klia2.

The airline has been operating out of the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal for the past eight years, since 2006.

Took the flight today to KCH. The airport was really huge, literally walking in a shopping mall! I bet many choose to fly today just to get a taste of the new airport too!

KLIA2_9May2014_4a.jpg

Nice shot Azahan! :good:

By the way, looks like lots of massive delay yesterday on AK groups. Looking at flightradar24, it seems to me departure and arrivals into KLIA2 are all on RWY33 only. I wonder why are they not assigning RWY32L for KLIA2 arrivals?

Heavy thunderstorm and KLIA runway congestion affected FY operations in SZB last night too. My flight to JHB delayed for one hour.

By the way, looks like lots of massive delay yesterday on AK groups. Looking at flightradar24, it seems to me departure and arrivals into KLIA2 are all on RWY33 only. I wonder why are they not assigning RWY32L for KLIA2 arrivals?

Yes, it looks like they are trying to operate klia2 like a single runway airport. Maybe they are trying out this operating model to see how things go. I would have thought that the logical thing to do is to use 32L for landings as well during peak hours.

I noticed some flights doing loops in the Straits of Melaka before coming in for the final approach. Some flights were over 1 hour late.

Understand MAHB insisted AirAsia on using their check in system by SITA which is less versatile and more costly. Lot's of modification/reconfiguration needed especially on AirAsia's self help kiosks. Lots of those are abandoned in LCCT.

This is the main reason for the extra RM3.

[sIDE TRACK]

Unfortunately, the last AirAsia X flight out of LCCT (to Jeddah) returned to KL in a sad note:

Penumpang AirAsia X meninggal dunia dalam pesawat dari Jeddah [Passenger onboard AirAsia X flight from Jeddah passed away]
Only available in Malay Language currently.

RT @fyezally11: Can i start charging my guests for the facilities the developer made mandatory when i bought my house like toilets,doors,windows?

Another first here. Flight crew of AK868 "went back". Got a plane with no crew. Delayed for hours and still uncertain when we can head off

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19865

The crew probably ran out of hours as the flight was delayed. In normal circumstances, a replacement crew should not be too difficult to arrange. However, it is the first day of operations at klia2 - so it was probably more chaotic.

If you can look at the layout of the runways and taxiways, you will see that it is quite impractical for aircraft to / from KLIA2 to use 32L. For departure they will need to cross the active 32L before a long taxi route to either 32L or 32R. Landing on 32L aircraft for KLIA2 will have to exit at the end, requiring longer time on the runway, or exit to the right as per normal but then will have to cross the active runway again to get to the KLIA2 side. The way I see it runway 33 is the best runway to be used for KLIA2 aircraft..

Runway 33 is best for klia2 departures as 32R is too complicated unless there is a runway 33 closure.

Here are some DCA charts for arrivals on runway 33 and 32L. I get the impression that either runway is ok for klia2.

web.png

web.png

Just witnessed my first AK klia2 landing on 32L :)

web.png

Just witnessed my first AK klia2 landing on 32L :)

web.png

Must be scary as the plane decent and there is no runway in sight! The map on FR24 is not updated yet.

Must be scary as the plane decent and there is no runway in sight! The map on FR24 is not updated yet.

On my version of FR24 the map is from Google.

Complete with KLIA2 terminal? I wonder why didn't appear on my web browser.

KLIA2_zpsaf13f261.jpg

Edited by Waiping