MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

I'm guessing 9M-LNG was put into that holding loop to buy time for the welcoming gang on ground to get ready ? :)

I'm guessing 9M-LNG was put into that holding loop to buy time for the welcoming gang on ground to get ready ? :)

It arrived at about 11.45 pm. I guess it had to wait till the airport has officially opened at midnight before it can land.

Was prior announcement being made to the passengers and those waiting at the airport?

arrived at KLIA2 this morning on OD.

the airport is humongous.

Congratulations on being one of the first pax to go thru klia2.

Did you take a domestic or international flight? Did you have checked in baggage?

How long did it take you to clear through klia2 from disembarking to emerging from the arrival hall?

Please share with us! :)

Many thanks! :)

Congratulations on being one of the first pax to go thru klia2.

Did you take a domestic or international flight? Did you have checked in baggage?

How long did it take you to clear through klia2 from disembarking to emerging from the arrival hall?

Please share with us! :)

Many thanks! :)

I flew from PEN on OD2101.

The aircraft was docked at gate K, the nearest to the exit, so it took me around 15 minutes to walk from the aircraft door to the arrival hall (am using normal Malaysian speed to explore the new terminal - or else it could have been faster).

Upon exit, there were a few shops and prior arriving the luggage carousel, there were more shops.

No check in luggage for me, but I saw at least 10 luggage carousels.

Upon exit, there were a few shops and prior arriving the luggage carousel, there were more shops.

No check in luggage for me, but I saw at least 10 luggage carousels.

Yes, lots of shops airside too. :)

We were told (at the Open Day last weekend) that only 2 out of the 10 are for domestic flights. A third line can be converted to domestic via a flexible partition. It may be about right as more pax on domestic flights do not have checked in luggage.

Thanks for the info - I am sure others will find it useful. :)

Fantastic report! Will remember not to wear heels to fly through here or else I might need a leg massage by the time I reach the gate! :)

On other hand, sure the ticket price for ERL will be so expensive since the price of a mere kilometre additional track costs whooping RM1 million.

Totally wrong figure. Was it RM 200 million, or 400 million?

Anyway yesterday the 1st of May the whole approach and departure was totally changed. The new approach procedure are quite messy actually, and track shortenings has caught many airplanes high on the profile.

Totally wrong figure. Was it RM 200 million, or 400 million?

Anyway yesterday the 1st of May the whole approach and departure was totally changed. The new approach procedure are quite messy actually, and track shortenings has caught many airplanes high on the profile.

RM100 million

Let's have a look on what KLIA2 has got to offer
I took this on my second visit to KLIA2, 5 hours after arriving from PEN. This time, I tried to use the international terminal, flying to SIN on TG.

DSCF5436_zps3661b690.jpg

ERL station, open air, quite stuffy

DSCF5452_zps42aa2d59.jpg

Kerbside, small but I think there will place enforcement officers to ease the traffic.

DSCF5456_zps4f3df1d2.jpg

Flight information, and BUS information as well. You can see this everywhere in Gateway@KLIA2.

DSCF5455_zpsfb734dd5.jpg

Estimated walking time.

DSCF5450_zpsf4d0b76d.jpg

DSCF5463_zpsece71073.jpg

Among the shops at Gateway@KLIA2

DSCF5467_zps743a805b.jpg

Entrance to the Terminal, after being trapped in a shopping maze. Note to self : Immediately proceed to check in counter or else, there is a chance of missing the flight.

DSCF5480_zps027a3ce6.jpg

Flight info, info desk and departure area.

DSCF5472_zpsd4fc4554.jpg

Check in area

DSCF5484_zps4eb48a01.jpg

Self check in, with AirAsia check in service

DSCF5489_zps052b2a29.jpg

WC

Looks good especially on the bus schedule. Always envy how Hong Kong can track their bus in the city. At least we have this at KLIA2.

Saw some posting on FB that airlines are advising to check-in 3 hours before departure to avoid being denied boarding. Not sure if it's true though.

Still better safe than sorry especially at new airport terminal.

A lot of dead end according to my friend. Oh well, the interior is designed by WCT. The mastermind behind Paradigm Mall, Kelana Jaya. Judging from how confusing the car park at that mall is and not forgetting their super 'awesome' grand opening two years back, I won't be surprised if KLIA2 is equally confusing....hahas!

DSCF5488_zpsb7220066.jpg

Trivia

DSCF5491_zps7c5aab96.jpg

Muslim Prayer Room

DSCF5482_zpse3a181d7.jpg

F&B outlets near check in area.

DSCF5486_zps74eb7624.jpg

Domestic departure on the left. Gate K is a la gate A & B at MTB, where it handles international departure through Gate L.

DSCF5495_zps168986df.jpg

International departure in the middle of the building.

There are 2 security checkpoints within 50 meters which I found it pretty funny. Second check point was prior entering gate L. Note to self : don't wear belt after leaving first check point.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/Fendi_Al-Yahya/media/DSCF5497_zpse997bc80.jpg.html?filters[user]=120005717&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=85

Post second security check point.

DSCF5509_zps227fb0c1.jpg

Gate map. Gate P21 and Q14 are the farthest IMHO. 20 minutes walk from entering the international departure gateway.

DSCF5508_zpsfa7a10fb.jpg

Walkways before entering boarding lounges.

DSCF5505_zpsdc8e2c62.jpg

Departure gate. Boarding passes will be scanned by agents before passing the glass door.

DSCF5504_zps53c71c01.jpg

Seats for passengers.

DSCF5514_zps3ebaa8fa.jpg

Passengers will go through this ramp to go to departure lounges.

DSCF5516_zpsbe23db05.jpg

It is quite impossible to planespotting from L walkways. This was taken from boarding lounge / Gate K

DSCF5525_zps565cfebd.jpg

Gate K and L

DSCF5533_zpsa8ba775a.jpg

Pioneer @ KLIA2

DSCF5539_zps3db5201d.jpg

DSCF5541_zpsca928857.jpg

Skybridge

Edited by affendi osman

So, current LCCT has 0 aircraft stands - meaning all the planes have been double parking tepi jalan there all this while ?! :lol:

The new terminal is light years aheaf of LCCT. No doubt.

Even though primarily built for discount carriers, somehow i found this is a missed opportunity for MAHB and Malaysians generally to get it right from the start, design wise.

I dont like fake trees inside the building. They should get the real one. Its not difficult. Its doable but i dont think its about costs.

The terminal hallways feel narrow compared to MTB which allows a lot of natural lighting. Gates are somehow hidden. Sure there are a lot of signages that will direct you MTB is a lot better.

KLIA2 lacks the spaciousness Feel.

Beams and partitions everywhere. I dont know, but WCT sucks when it comes to designing the interior. Just like Paradigm Mall.

International arrival, once you pass immigrations, feels very funny, it direct you through maze of walls before coming out inside a liquor store. The immigration counters is unlike MTB. Lack of natural lighting. Again. Tesco feels more airy than arrivals.

I like the flooring. Very industrial look tiles.

And then the mall. I love it. Next time i will come to work early to explore the outlets.

Airasia ops office is located inside the mall.

I think WCT was only responsible for the gateway@klia2 portion. They are also managing the mall - JV with MAHB. Not sure if they also designed the terminal and satellite buildings.

Edited by flee

Some maybe worthless I got from my visit last night :

1) parking is the same price as KLIA - rm 4 an hour up to rm 46 a day

2) the valet parking out the front of departures is On weekends RM15 for the 1st hour, 5 every subsequent hour up to max rm 100 a day. On weekdays it's RM15 for the first 2 hours, 5 per subsequent hour, max 100 per day

3) entry to the parking is at level CP7. Level CP4 is the only one with direct access to the terminal. Auto pay only on level CP1/4/7. Highest is level CP8 which I think is rooftop open air.

4) AK group seems to be using the left hand side bank of check in counters STUV. OD / 5J and others the right hand bank WXYZ.

5) cheapest place I found to buy drinks and snacks is the pharmacy far right. The others like WH Smith seem to sell them at inflated prices. The pharmacy has more "regular" pricing.

6) on arrival - both Maxis and Celcom operate right outside the arrivals area. Digi and U mobiles shops are further away to the left after passing Jaya grocer.

7) I have both digi And maxis lines - decent LTE most areas of the terminal with maxis. Digi a bit disappointing - only 3G and poor data speeds wherever I tried.