MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Very easy to criticise - when airline like MAS does badly, we complain. When airline like AirAsia is successful, we also complain! Oh well.... :unknw:

Very easy to criticise - when airline like MAS does badly, we complain. When airline like AirAsia is successful, we also complain! Oh well.... :unknw:

And we have those that blindly idolize AK no matter what...

typical case of successfull businessman taking advantage of a weak government. God knows how many people are on his 'dark' payroll.

who knows, those people may even be planted here in mwing...

TF explains about the KLIA2 fiasco in his latest blogpost:

http://www.tonyferna...-start-the-fire

I may not agree with TF on many things. I don't agree with his Labu thingy, but regarding the KLIA2, I am on his side. Too much wastage and too expensive for a LCCT.

And we have those that blindly idolize AK no matter what...

who knows, those people may even be planted here in mwing...

As always, life is interesting.

There are also AirAsia bashers, similar to those who bash Proton. No matter what the matter is, they will always find a negative angle - as if they have some vested interests to see that these companies fail....

I may not agree with TF on many things. I don't agree with his Labu thingy, but regarding the KLIA2, I am on his side. Too much wastage and too expensive for a LCCT.

Frankly all I am hoping for is that there are no more delays. I cringe every time I read negative reports of what a dump the current LCCT is. Of course, the LCCT is now running beyond capacity - so KLIA's pax handling numbers can be much higher, if only there was additional capacity available.

Typical case of corruption from

Both parties with the rest of the country left holding their hoo hoos

Rafidah: Concrete Commitments On KLIA2 Vital For Better Tony-MAHB Relationship

KUALA LUMPUR, July 26 (Bernama) -- Timeliness and a concrete black and white commitment on fixed airport charges in the new low-cost carrier terminal is needed to cool down the ongoing tension between AirAsia Chief Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), says Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz.

The chairman of AirAsia X, the long-haul unit of AirAsia, said the no-frills airline was seeking two concrete commitments from the airport operator, first on when the new airport would be ready for operations and second, that airport charges would not be raised once the new terminal is ready.

"Of course we know that they (MAHB) now need some extension time. We have taken that on board but before that (AirAsia relocates to KLIA2) we would like to get some commitment.

"If there is any increase in airport charges, it will be very unfair to airlines, especially AirAsia and AirAsia X, as we will then have to increase charges. But, we are a low-cost airline and we cannot bear the additional charges," Rafidah said, adding that both airlines have suspended routes to several destinations because of higher airport charges.

Asked whether AirAsia Bhd was demanding a service-level agreement (SLE), the former international trade and industry minister said "as long as there is something in black and white to say the charges would not be raised, it's fine with us".

"We want to make it (agreement) even more stronger, we can have a legal agreement. But, that is not the current problem. To me a legal agreement is the least of our problems," she told Bernama.

The new low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) will cost between RM3.6 billion and RM3.9 billion and is scheduled to be operational in April 2013, after several delays.

KLIA2, initially scheduled for operations this year, will be the largest low-cost carrier terminal when it is completed April next year, and handle 45 million passengers, three times the capacity, of the current LCCT.

Much of the airport revenue is expected to be generated from retail sales and KLIA2 will have 50,000 square metres of commercial space.

Price sensitive Tony Fernandes had been very vocal on the rising cost of the new airport, in fear of the extra cost to be passed to AirAsia, the biggest tenant at KLIA2.

To this, Rafidah said two-way effective communication was important in the aviation business, and in this case, involved the airport operator and AirAsia.

Asked whether AirAsia was revisiting the suspended Indian routes, namely New Delhi and Mumbai, Rafidah said at the moment the low-cost airline was already looking at the possibility of increasing its frequencies to several existing routes in India, which has proven to be profitable.

"We cannot go there (Mumbai & New Delhi) because of the high airport charges. Because we are simply low fare, not only low cost. But if our cost is not under control, then low fare is not something to be promised," she said.

Oh be careful there, be very careful with this

"We want to make it (agreement) even more stronger, we can have a legal agreement. But, that is not the current problem. To me a legal agreement is the least of our problems,"

thing :)

I remember there was mention and assurances of an agreement for AK (and its ilk) to shift to BKI's T1 upon completion of renovations/expansion. What we have now is a testament to fragility of these so called 'commitments' from ..... well, you know who :)

No lah, learn from experience I say :D

One can already forsee Tan Sri throwing a fit and refusing to move there already - look at the planned number of F&B outlets, and in particular the "Grab & Go" concept :D

That will put one big dent on ancilliary income :)

His ideal is probably something like BKI's T2 where when I last tried, could not find a bottle of water for sale at airside, after having had to discard our water bottles at security screening :)

Is there any smoking room planned? Can't see them on the drawings.

One can already forsee Tan Sri throwing a fit and refusing to move there already - look at the planned number of F&B outlets, and in particular the "Grab & Go" concept :D

That will put one big dent on ancilliary income :)

His ideal is probably something like BKI's T2 where when I last tried, could not find a bottle of water for sale at airside, after having had to discard our water bottles at security screening :)

But his food is reasonably priced on board as compared to MAHB F&B outlets throughout the present KLIA MTB & LCCT.. Should be ok.. Looks nice! Hopefully they sort out the nitty gritty cost complaints with PSC and aero bridge fees.. If AK wanna save money for using aero bridge, they should save on manpower for pushbacks and have 1 man ops with those auto pushback tugs!

Looking at the Sept06 picture-posting of the KLIA T2, I cannot believe it will be operational in May13... :sorry:

Looking at the Sept06 picture-posting of the KLIA T2, I cannot believe it will be operational in May13... :sorry:

weirder things can happen.

the place i am working at had a construction site that went from site survey to finish building in about 13 months.

............. and things start to fall apart a few months after that ....... Remember when Dr M instructed Ting PK to get Langkawi ready in less than 1 year for the first LIMA???

That was what exactly happened ....... :angry:

:hi:

Will klia2 have its own tower?Looks like one front of the terminal..

Yes KLIA2 will have it own tower for Ground,Tower position if I not mistaken due to the KLIA tower can't see aircraft at KLIA2

Here is Norman's pix of the KLIA2 site that was taken last week:

http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18187&&do=findComment&comment=312674

I am no construction expert - but the site looks pretty advanced to me.

Most of the structure is completed and I read somewhere that the contractor responsible for the "runway" has handed it over already. I think that the media might have mistaken runway for taxiway, etc. MAHB have stated that the third runway will not be completed when the terminal opens - so airlines will still need to use the existing runways.

Lets wait and see... :)

In my opinion, KLIA2 won't be operational by May 2013. Construction completed is one thing, testing and commissioning is another major thing. It will take at least 4-6 months to get everyting ready (the T&C part)

Edited by Fairul