MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

However, MAHB said that provision has been made in the design of the terminal to accommodate the installation of aerobridges, if so required at any time, by AirAsia group or any other LCCs.

Is that a reporting misquote or is MAHB actually so naive ?! :lol:

They won't even pay to use the stuff :D

More importantly, the LCCT should be provided with a seemless connection to the main terminal building perhaps via the Aerotrain or a post security bus system. The current design is as if it is part of a seperate airport and the connections are rather laborious and take up a lot of time. This will also enable KUL to gain an upper hand against Changi where its budget terminal has no transfer facilities. Furthermore by doing so, KUL can accomadate a greater variety of travellers' needs. For example, for those arriving on long-haul/medium-haul flights via the main terminal, can then transfer to short haul LCC flights at the LCCT to destinations within the region, which is in fact not a very uncommon practise.

I think the problem is more because of Air Asia. They don't want to interline. So if there needs to be a tansfer to/from an LCC, then the pax must check-in again. If the pax must check in again, there is no point in providing an aerotrain/post security bus system. This would mean that the KLIA express should do the job.

I think the problem is more because of Air Asia. They don't want to interline. So if there needs to be a tansfer to/from an LCC, then the pax must check-in again. If the pax must check in again, there is no point in providing an aerotrain/post security bus system. This would mean that the KLIA express should do the job.

Well, at least make the trip from the LCCT to the main terminal building free. The current shuttle bus is terribly unreliable. Pardon me for my ignorance, but can't KLAS and MH set up a transfer counter in the LCCT?

Well, at least make the trip from the LCCT to the main terminal building free. The current shuttle bus is terribly unreliable. Pardon me for my ignorance, but can't KLAS and MH set up a transfer counter in the LCCT?

The ERL is going to be extended from the MTB to the LCCT and that will probably cost peanuts. So don't really see a big deal here.

The ERL is going to be extended from the MTB to the LCCT and that will probably cost peanuts. So don't really see a big deal here.

If the project cost peanuts probably won't be implemented.

If the project cost peanuts probably won't be implemented.

Sorry what I meant was the price for the train ride from LCCT to MTB if it isn't free will probably cost peanuts.

Looks like it's only directly linked (via taxiways) to 32L. Going to be a long taxi to 32R...

They are going to get a runway for themselves.

so 32R is a no-use for them anyway.

Talking about the new runway, we will have 32R/C/L now?

Talking about the new runway, we will have 32R/C/L now?

Yes Sharil, I believe that will be the case. 32L/14R will become 32C/14C and the new runway possibly 32L/14R

KLIA2 40% completed

SEPANG: Airport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is more than 40% into the construction of KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2), its official said.

MAHB chief financial officer Faizal Mansor said that road works linking KLIA2 were underway and building structures were being put in place.

More details on the progress of the permanent low-cost carrier terminal would be announced soon, he told reporters yesterday at the company's second-quarter results briefing.

Faizal also said that the cost of development for KLIA2 remained at the estimated RM2bil “until an update was made otherwise” and it was working towards the October 2012 completion deadline.

“Another trend we used to see at KLIA and the low-cost carrier terminal was 60% of the passenger movement came from domestic flights while the balance was from international flights. But now, both domestic and international passengers account for 50% each, thus proving that KLIA is increasingly becoming an international hub,” he said.

More: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/7/29/business/9196098&sec=business

But now, both domestic and international passengers account for 50% each, thus proving that KLIA is increasingly becoming an international hub,” he said.

Of the 50% international passengers, how many are from SIN ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

One of the reasons TF said he doesn't want aerobridges was so that he could perform faster turn-around with both front and rear exits. Hmmm...

P7220192.jpg

My flight last week.

Hence, I think the only sole reason is cost.

Edited by Arthur W.

One of the reasons TF said he doesn't want aerobridges was so that he could perform faster turn-around with both front and rear exits. Hmmm...

P7220192.jpg

My flight last week.

Hence, I think the only sole reason is cost.

Could that be the pax count was low enough to not require a second air stair?

Plus you still need to consider that the usage of jetways requires the planes to be pushed out, which does increase cost, as well as turnaround time. By using the airstair(s) the a/c could power itself out as long it was parked properly.

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Heh, totally OT and of no significance - my apologies

I just noticed that those painted outline of the plane's door does not exactly correspond to size of the door :pardon:

Now back to KLIA2 :)

Of the 50% international passengers, how many are from SIN ?

There are about 200 over weekly filghts to SIN. This is about twice the number of flights to CGK, the next busiest destination. I would say about 18% or a third of that 50%.

Could that be the pax count was low enough to not require a second air stair?

Plus you still need to consider that the usage of jetways requires the planes to be pushed out, which does increase cost, as well as turnaround time. By using the airstair(s) the a/c could power itself out as long it was parked properly.

I was on that flight. It was full.

And the plane did not "power out". It was pushed back.

Not only that, it was delayed ~ 2 hours due to late arrival of aircraft. So indeed they had to make a quicker turnaround. They managed to do that with only 1 exit door, and a push back. So a quick turnaround with aerobridges shouldn't really be a problem.

I was on that flight. It was full.

And the plane did not "power out". It was pushed back.

Not only that, it was delayed ~ 2 hours due to late arrival of aircraft. So indeed they had to make a quicker turnaround. They managed to do that with only 1 exit door, and a push back. So a quick turnaround with aerobridges shouldn't really be a problem.

Hmm.. i think AK really should find a strategy how to make a profit even using the aerobridges instead of thinking that the only way to achieve maximum profit is by refusing to use aerobridges.

Hmm.. i think AK really should find a strategy how to make a profit even using the aerobridges instead of thinking that the only way to achieve maximum profit is by refusing to use aerobridges.

I guess they could raise the convenience fee a few cents. Don't think it's a major inconvenience to passengers for that little extra convenience :p

Frankly I think this aerobridge issue is a non issue for passengers. Only fusspots like us discuss this to death in forums! If it was such a big issue (like the non reclining seats on D7's A333), AirAsia would have made changes. AirAsia sees aerobridges as an unnecessary cost. We see it as AirAsia trying to make more profits. Shareholders also see it from an investment point of view - it can improve shareholders' value.

One of my relatives (and SQ Krisflyer regular) even makes it a point to fly AK so that his kids get to see what the outside of an aircraft is like close up and also the smell of kerosene! He did not want his kids to be always pampered by lounges and aerobridges!

Bottom line is that AirAsia will only make a u-turn if the vast majority of its pax complain about them not using aerobridges. Many are also prepared to put up with all of their inconveniences just to get a low fare. I have no complaints about the current LCCT arrangements cos it gives me a chance to photograph the planes in all its glory! ;)

Quick question? Arle the grass cutters at KUL on strike? Since 3 weeks ago, the grass and lalang along 32R/14L is looking more and more like the African savannah! Taxiway signs also obscured...