MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

My friend said, sometimes AK use aerobridges in KCH. On all AK flights I had been in, only once I board using aerobridge, that was last year in PEN, during wet weather.

Yup, sometimes. Last month I board at KBR on night they using aerobridges because of wet weather and plane delayed. :D But i think it's good for lover plane if using stairs, we can see everthing so close.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Jetstar and Virgin use it in Syd.

They board passengers through the front door with the aerobridge and the back door with the mobile staircase at the same time.

The cabin crew at the gate will tell you which door to use.

25 minutes easy turned around using both door.

Frankly I think it is time that Tony Fernandes is not so hung up on this aerobridge thingy. And MAHB should reap a publicity coup if they announce that aerobridge will be offered at zero cost to the airlines. This is because with the gold mine that is in the LCCT (high rental income retail lots) it would easily recoup any aerobridge costs rather quickly! So I hope that MAHB will not miss the opportunity to build a world class LCCT and Tony Fernandes can dump his outdated views that aerobridges slow down aircraft turnaround times.

I don't know where he got the idea that aerobridges slow down turnaround time? Southwest uses aerobridges all the time from what I can see on the show Airline, and their turnaround time average is 23 mins. It's probably more about cost rather than turnaround time that made him hate aerobridges.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

New LCCT to be called KLIA2

SEPANG, Aug 30 – Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today that the new low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) or KLIA2 will serve as an economic stimulus for the country.

The Prime Minister said he expects KLIA2 to boost tourism revenue to RM168 billion by 2020.

“The construction of a project such as this new terminal brings the country many benefits. Not only will it serve as an economic stimulus by providing job opportunities to the people of Malaysia, it will also boost tourism by attracting more airlines and visitors into the country.

“This facility will greatly enhance our vision to increase tourism revenue from the current RM53 billion in 2009 to RM168 billion by 2020,” he said during his speech at the ground breaking ceremony for KLIA2.

He said that local businesses would also benefit from the greater influx of tourists into the country.

“The spill-over effects of having this captive market at our airports is immense, from a commercial perspective, following the footsteps of the established successful airports such as Heathrow London and Schiphol Amersterdam where the airports are much more than just a place to catch flights.

“Malaysia Airports has envisioned our own airports as the platform to drive commercial business. With its vision to be a world-class airport business, I am encouraged to know that besides operating top notch airport facilities and services, there will also be ample retail and commerce opportunities that will allow Malaysian businesses to capitalise and benefit from the influx of tourists and spending power flowing continuously through the arrival and departure gates,” he said.

The targeted completion date for the new LCCT, estimated to cost RM2 billion, is April 2012 based on a 20-month construction period.

The LCCT will be able to cater for 30 million passengers per annum, with potential to expand to 45 million.

A new four kilometre long runway will also be built for the LCCT.

To be known as KLIA2, it is located only two kilometre from the main KLIA terminal.

Najib also noted that AirAsia was the driving force behind low-cost travel growth in the region.

“Over the last 10 years low-cost travel at KLIA has grown on an average of 37 per cent per annum. The double-digit growth is expected to continue for the next five to ten years despite intense competition from other large airports in the region.

“I have to compliment AirAsia for their innovative efforts to stimulate low-cost travel in the country and I applaud Malaysia Airport’s role in supporting the growth of this burgeoning travel segment. Malaysia Airports has anticipated that KLIA as whole would handle over 60 million passengers by 2020 and close to 45 per cent of these passengers are likely to be low-cost travellers,” he said.

Early last year, there was a much publicised tussle between Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), the operator of most of Malaysia’s airports, and Air Asia, the region’s leading low-cost carrier, to build the new LCCT.

That was just after Air Asia announced its intentions to build its own terminal and runway in Labu, Negeri Sembilan to cope with soaring passenger volume and alleged that MAHB would not be able to build an LCCT to suit its needs and ambitions.

Malaysia Airports on the other hand, said that the new LCCT should be built according to its masterplan for KLIA.

The Labu proposal was initially given the green light on January 5th by the government, but it reversed its decision about three weeks later after a public outcry erupted as it was seen as building another airport just a few kilometres away from KLIA and thus duplicating resources.

Najib stressed that KLIA2 was designed with consideration for AirAsia’s requirements.

“I am glad to note that while this new terminal is designed with great consideration for the requirements of the region’s largest low-cost carrier, AirAsia, it will be accessible to all airlines upon completion. With the thriving low cost travel in the region, the new terminal is poised to serve as a hub and attract more low cost carriers to fly to Kuala Lumpur,” he said.

The first phase of the project was awarded to Malaysian infrastructure firm, WCT. The RM363 million contract is for the earthworks and drainage job for the LCCT.

However, MAHB has admitted that the completion of the earthworks for the runaway is behind schedule.

MAHB will also build a multi-modal transportation hub for buses, taxis, and ERL to provide connectivity for not only passengers but also for the public to move from one part of the country to another.

According to the National Airport Masterplan (NAMP), there is room for two additional terminals near the LCCT.

The masterplan was drawn up by Netherlands Airport Consultants BV and KLIA Consultancy Services.

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/klias-new-terminal-will-serve-as-economic-stimulus-najib/

KLIA2 to cost more than RM2 billion, delayed till 2012

SEPANG, Aug 30 – Malaysia Airports Holding Berhad managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad announced today that the completion of KLIA’s new low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) will be delayed to April 2012.

The LCCT or KLIA2, originally estimated to cost RM2 billion, was slated to be ready the end of this year.

However Bashir (picture) said that most of the major work awarded is already worth RM2 billion.

“Although the tender exercise took longer than expected due to the overwhelming response from tender participants, this has enabled us to obtain very competitive bids. A rigorous value engineering exercise was also carried out to optimise the cost of the various packages. Forty packages were identified. To date most of the major works have been awarded at the value of RM2 billion. The remaining packages will be awarded in due course,” he said.

MORE TO COME : http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/klia2-to-cost-more-than-rm2-billion-delayed-till-2012/

SEPANG, Aug 30 (Bernama) -- The new Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT)

or KLIA 2, which had an initial budget of RM2 billion, may likely incur extra

cost due to possible delays, says Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB).

Construction of the LCCT has taken a longer period as it is being

undertaken on the basis of a tender exercise.

"Let's wait for the tender exercises to complete. The balance are minor

tenders not major ones," MAHB Managing Director, Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad

Abdul Majid, told reporters after the ground breaking ceremony for KLIA 2

here Monday.

Earlier this month, MAHB had proposed to undertake sukuk programmes up

to RM3.1 billion to part finance the construction of the KLIA 2 and to

refinance its existing borrowings.

KLIA 2 is slated to be ready by April 2012 based on a 20 month

construction period, and would be bigger than previously planned - an

increase of 60 per cent in terminal size.

The new 242,000 sqm terminal which is primarily planned and designed to

meet the requirements of low cost carriers would be the largest purpose build

dedicated terminal for low cost carriers in the world.

Built to handle initially 30 million passengers, it will have the flexibility to

allow expansion to cater for future growth and changes to the operational

models of airlines, Bashir said.

Asked on the completion of the earthworks for the runway that is behind

schedule, he said it is targeted to be ready in two to three months upon the

completion of the KLIA 2.

"We are working very closely with the contractor and will try to find ways

to expedite. It's a delay but not so much," he said

On the proposed aerobridges, he said MAHB needed a firm commitment

very soon from the carriers on the use of aerobridges, adding that it was of

the view that airlines should use aerobridges in the interest of passenger

comfort and safety.

"We have given them options. And what we want is a firm commitment

very soon from the low cost carrier that they want to make use of the

aerobridges and upon that we will install the facilities," he added.

According to MAHB, its aerobridge charges of RM85 is probably the lowest

in the world and low cost carriers were beginning to see the need for using

aerobridges.

He also said MAHB has planned for an express rail link station.

A joint venture between UEM Construction Sdn Bhd and Bina Puri Holdings

Bhd would build the terminal.

Yup, sometimes. Last month I board at KBR on night they using aerobridges because of wet weather and plane delayed. :D But i think it's good for lover plane if using stairs, we can see everthing so close.

But you should not forget about small children,elderly citizens ,disable people and pregnant lady who face difficulty to board an aircraft using the stairs... :finger:

MAHB should consider offering a plane towing (to and from terminal to runway) service. Some fuel savings can be achieved by not running the jet engines while taxiing to and from the runways. MAHB can make this service available and bundle it with the airbridge service as one package and charge a "convenience fee" for it. :D

Aerobridge Alright If Package Is Good,

SEPANG, Aug 30 (Bernama) -- AirAsia will consider using the proposed

aerobridge at the upcoming low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) or KLIA 2 if a

good package, combining its use and low fares can be achieved, says

AirAsia Group Chief Executive Officer Datuk Seri Dr Tony Fernandes.

"If the airport (MAHB) gives a good package, we will consider it. The key

thing is you wouldn't have got 30 million passengers without low fares.

"Of course you want to give customers everything, low fares, aerobridges,

but it won't exist if you have high charges.

"If they can give a deal that makes economic sense and allow us to operate

also in the 25-minute turnaround time, it would be great," he told reporters

at the sideline of the KLIA 2 ground breaking ceremony here Monday.

"I am not close to the idea of aerobridges but ultimately our passengers

comes first.

"If you ask everyone out there what would you like, low fares or much

higher fares with aerobridges, you know what the answer would be. If you

can find solution for both, then great," he said.

Meanwhile, talking to reporters earlier, Managing Director of MAHB Tan Sri

Bashir Ahmad Abdul Majid said MAHB would need a firm commitment from

the carriers on the use of the proposed aerobridge, adding that it would be

in the interest of passenger comfort and safety to use it.

"We have given them options. And what we want is a firm commitment

very soon from the low cost carrier that they want to make use of the

aerobridge and upon that we will install the facilities," he added.

According to MAHB, its aerobridge charges of RM85 is probably the lowest in

the world.

Tony also said it would be important to have good rail to open up for

tourism.

KLIA 2 is expected to be completed in April 2012.

Prospective view of KLIA 2, the 3rd runway, MTB and its 2 Satellites.

LCCT3.jpg

Uncle Tony has started making some noises that the April 2012 completion date won't be met. Uncle Tony is predicting the KLIA 2 will be ready only in 2013.

Uncle Tony has started making some noises that the April 2012 completion date won't be met. Uncle Tony is predicting the KLIA 2 will be ready only in 2013.

I think his scepticism is justified, as MAHB have already said that the third runway will be delayed. That is also why they are again extending the current LCCT to handle more pax. In their quarterly report, they also mentioned that they will make more use of KCH, BKI, PEN and LGK soon. So maybe they will send more planes to those airports.

How big is KLIA2 compared to MTB? If its bigger all I can say is, poor MTB.

Here are the comparison of the size between MTB, the current LCCT and KLIA 2.

LCCT.jpg

Some notes to share:

• KLIA 2 is designed to handle 30 million passengers per annum, while MTB+Satellite is designed with 25 million passengers per annum. The completion of KLIA 2 will bring KUL's designed capacity to 55 million passengers per annum.
  • At 242,000 sqm, KLIA 2 terminal is about half the size of MTB+Satellite and almost 4 times bigger than the current LCCT.
  • KLIA 2 will be like a shopping mall. The floor space allocated for retail is double the amount of the same at the MTB+Satellite or almost 4 times more than what available at the current LCCT.
  • There will be 6,000 carpark bays, almost matching the number of the covered carpark bays at the MTB.
  • It is estimated that KLIA 2 will accommodate 124 pax per sqm, more than twice the number at the MTB+Satellite but almost half the number of the current LCCT. So I guess we could envisage on how busy the new terminal will be.

I have a lot more details to share.

OT

This is what I get from the sources' link www.klia.net above

klianet.jpg

Thehehhee...

New LCCT to be called KLIA2

SEPANG, Aug 30 – Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today that the new low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) or KLIA2 will serve as an economic stimulus for the country.

The Prime Minister said he expects KLIA2 to boost tourism revenue to RM168 billion by 2020.

“The construction of a project such as this new terminal brings the country many benefits. Not only will it serve as an economic stimulus by providing job opportunities to the people of Malaysia, it will also boost tourism by attracting more airlines and visitors into the country.

“This facility will greatly enhance our vision to increase tourism revenue from the current RM53 billion in 2009 to RM168 billion by 2020,” he said during his speech at the ground breaking ceremony for KLIA2.

He said that local businesses would also benefit from the greater influx of tourists into the country.

“The spill-over effects of having this captive market at our airports is immense, from a commercial perspective, following the footsteps of the established successful airports such as Heathrow London and Schiphol Amersterdam where the airports are much more than just a place to catch flights.

“Malaysia Airports has envisioned our own airports as the platform to drive commercial business. With its vision to be a world-class airport business, I am encouraged to know that besides operating top notch airport facilities and services, there will also be ample retail and commerce opportunities that will allow Malaysian businesses to capitalise and benefit from the influx of tourists and spending power flowing continuously through the arrival and departure gates,” he said.

The targeted completion date for the new LCCT, estimated to cost RM2 billion, is April 2012 based on a 20-month construction period.

The LCCT will be able to cater for 30 million passengers per annum, with potential to expand to 45 million.

A new four kilometre long runway will also be built for the LCCT.

To be known as KLIA2, it is located only two kilometre from the main KLIA terminal.

Najib also noted that AirAsia was the driving force behind low-cost travel growth in the region.

“Over the last 10 years low-cost travel at KLIA has grown on an average of 37 per cent per annum. The double-digit growth is expected to continue for the next five to ten years despite intense competition from other large airports in the region.

“I have to compliment AirAsia for their innovative efforts to stimulate low-cost travel in the country and I applaud Malaysia Airport’s role in supporting the growth of this burgeoning travel segment. Malaysia Airports has anticipated that KLIA as whole would handle over 60 million passengers by 2020 and close to 45 per cent of these passengers are likely to be low-cost travellers,” he said.

Early last year, there was a much publicised tussle between Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), the operator of most of Malaysia’s airports, and Air Asia, the region’s leading low-cost carrier, to build the new LCCT.

That was just after Air Asia announced its intentions to build its own terminal and runway in Labu, Negeri Sembilan to cope with soaring passenger volume and alleged that MAHB would not be able to build an LCCT to suit its needs and ambitions.

Malaysia Airports on the other hand, said that the new LCCT should be built according to its masterplan for KLIA.

The Labu proposal was initially given the green light on January 5th by the government, but it reversed its decision about three weeks later after a public outcry erupted as it was seen as building another airport just a few kilometres away from KLIA and thus duplicating resources.

Najib stressed that KLIA2 was designed with consideration for AirAsia’s requirements.

“I am glad to note that while this new terminal is designed with great consideration for the requirements of the region’s largest low-cost carrier, AirAsia, it will be accessible to all airlines upon completion. With the thriving low cost travel in the region, the new terminal is poised to serve as a hub and attract more low cost carriers to fly to Kuala Lumpur,” he said.

The first phase of the project was awarded to Malaysian infrastructure firm, WCT. The RM363 million contract is for the earthworks and drainage job for the LCCT.

However, MAHB has admitted that the completion of the earthworks for the runaway is behind schedule.

MAHB will also build a multi-modal transportation hub for buses, taxis, and ERL to provide connectivity for not only passengers but also for the public to move from one part of the country to another.

According to the National Airport Masterplan (NAMP), there is room for two additional terminals near the LCCT.

The masterplan was drawn up by Netherlands Airport Consultants BV and KLIA Consultancy Services.

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/klias-new-terminal-will-serve-as-economic-stimulus-najib/

Do we really need a 3rd runway at KLIA? well, Heathrow handled more than 65 millions pax with only 2 runway, and KL has less than 30mil last year.

cheers

Do we really need a 3rd runway at KLIA? well, Heathrow handled more than 65 millions pax with only 2 runway, and KL has less than 30mil last year.

cheers

3rd runway close to KLIA2 i.e. is meant for AK....how manipulative!!! and length of runway only able to handle up to A330 - so ironic?

cheers

If Heathrow can handle 65 million pax with 2 runways, then what's all the furore over building a 3rd runway over there? Think of the future.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

If Heathrow can handle 65 million pax with 2 runways, then what's all the furore over building a 3rd runway over there? Think of the future.

Maybe i should repharse my question to: Do we need the 3rd runway now? The money can be spent on something else..... like how to get more airlines to operate into KLIA etc...

If you study the satellite image so kindly provided by Azizul above, you will see that the KLIA 2 is situated in between one of the old runways (14R/32L) and the proposed new runway. This would be ideal for minimum taxi distance to and from the runway - vital for low cost operations as they don't want to burn too much fuel going to and from the runways. The new third runway will be the same length (4,000m) as the existing ones.

KLIA2 is optimised for low cost carrier operations, not just AirAsia alone. However, it has received a lot of input from AirAsia because of their hard earned experience in low cost operations. In fact, AirAsia is helping MAHB to make KLIA2 more attractive to other low cost carriers as the terminal is optimised for low cost of operations, thus enabling MAHB to lower its fees for airlines operating out of KLIA2.

Edited by flee

According to MAHB, its aerobridge charges of RM85 is probably the lowest

in the world and low cost carriers were beginning to see the need for using

aerobridges.

Why MAHB can't add RM1 surcharge to airport tax for the use of aerobridge? :sorry: If AK worry that MAB will take a long time to dock the aerobridge, may be AK could set a performance target for MAB :pardon:

If you study the satellite image so kindly provided by Azizul above, you will see that the KLIA 2 is situated in between one of the old runways (14R/32L) and the proposed new runway. This would be ideal for minimum taxi distance to and from the runway - vital for low cost operations as they don't want to burn too much fuel going to and from the runways. The new third runway will be the same length (4,000m) as the existing ones.

14C/32C and 14R/32L is not offset like 14C/32C and 14L/32R; for parallel runways operation, taxi distance either to takeoff or from landing will be fairly long (2km?).

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

Interior looks good, miles better than the current LCCT. Hopefully will be done sooner than expected. BTW, anyone notice that the sky bridge is filled with aircraft in that video?

14C/32C and 14R/32L is not offset like 14C/32C and 14L/32R; for parallel runways operation, taxi distance either to takeoff or from landing will be fairly long (2km?).

:drinks:

We can expect 32C will be used for landings, 32R for takeoff from the MTB / satellite. The new 32L will probably for LCCT landings and the bulk of LCCT takeoff. Yes, long taxi to the end but can expect LCCT aircraft will be using intersection takeoff whenever possible.

For intersection takeoffs I have a couple of advise: 1)Taxi is usually on idle power, the same as stopping. 2)One of the most useless thing in the world is the length of runway behind the aircraft.

Interior looks good, miles better than the current LCCT. Hopefully will be done sooner than expected. BTW, anyone notice that the sky bridge is filled with aircraft in that video?

Reflections of parked aircraft!

I was more surprised to see LH using the terminal! (Was it because the original image used was LH A346s, given that theer were a few 346s in the video?)

But good to see FY being represented in the video.

MAHB has come out with a promo video on KLIA 2.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=127193297328330

And yes, it says in the video that "First ever Skybridge in Asia!". :drinks:

useless to have check in counter builded. no need to have since they all encourage to check in online or by the kiosk and charging for counter check in. it doesn;t look like budget terminal, much more mordern than KLIA. no more budget travel for air asia. I'm for sure the airport tax will hike. using aerobridge somemore... increase another Rm5 for using aerobridge. if dun pay the aerobridge fee, get down from rear door and walk on tarmac.