MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Peter Smith

Countdown to AK's first A320

October 27th 2005:

PRESS RELEASE: CLICK ME

AIRASIA BEGINS COUNDOWN FOR FIRST AIRBUS A320 DELIVERY

40 DAYS and counting ……

Melaka, 27 th Oct 2005 – AirAsia, the leading low fare airline in Asia, today held a launch event to officially kick-off its Airbus A320 campaign. The event, at the Composites Technology Research Malaysia (CTRM) in Melaka, was held in anticipation of the first of up to 100* Airbus A320 entering the airline’s fleet beginning December 2005. Joining the launch proceedings at the state –of- the-art aerospace manufacturing facility is Guest of Honour, YB Dato’ Sri Chan Kong Choy, Minister of Transport, Malaysia. Incidentally this marks YB’s first visit to CTRM.

AirAsia is a new customer for Airbus in Asia - Pacific and the single largest customer for the aircraft in the region. With up to 100* A320s commitment lined up over the next 5 years, AirAsia is on course to becoming the largest LCC in the region.

CTRM is another Malaysian company, with interest in the imminent arrival of the country’s first ever Airbus A320s. It is the single source manufacturer and supplier in Asia for components that goes into parts of the A320’s wing package; Leading and Trailing Edge Panels, Aileron Panels, Underwing Panels, Top Assembly Panels, Moveable Fairings, Spoilers, Fixed fairings and Aft Fixed fairings.

Speaking at the launch, AirAsia’s Group CEO, Dato’ Tony Fernandes said, “We are counting down the days for the A320 deliveries. In another 40 days, AirAsia and Malaysia would be the recipients of the nation’s first A320 to serve Malaysia’s aviation sector.

The A320s will mark a new chapter for AirAsia, as our operations will have one of the most modern and sophisticated aircraft in our service. Not forgetting, the youngest airline fleet in Asia!

We are pleased to launch today’s proceedings at CTRM, the birthplace of the A320’s wing panels. The decision to choose the A320s will greatly contribute to CTRM’s growth as the leading and sole supplier of A320 wing composites in Asia, and ultimately benefiting Malaysia’s Aerospace Industry. It is with this thought that we believe with CTRM’s finesse for aerospace technology advancement, and AirAsia’s commitment to provide affordable low fare travel in Malaysia and the region, that together AirAsia and CTRM would keep Malaysia and Malaysians at the forefront of the aviation industry.”

YB Dato’ Sri Chan Kong Choy addressed, “I would like to congratulate AirAsia for putting Malaysia on the world map as leaders in the low cost aviation industry. Well done to AirAsia, for its excellent track record in promoting and encouraging tourism in this part of the world. I am confident that with its brand new fleet, AirAsia would go even more places and keep the Jalur Gemilang flying high.

I would also like to commend CTRM for its world class technology in aerospace and composites. It is indeed refreshing to see two great Malaysian companies helping and working together to further strengthen Malaysia stance globally.”

According to the Chief Executive Officer, Col (Rtd) Rosdi Mahmud, “I would like to congratulate AirAsia for its new fleet rollout with the Airbus A320. Indeed all of us at CTRM are proud to be building the vital wing composites that would serve the country’s leading low fare airline and its 100* Airbus A320 commitment. CTRM will continue to provide its support to both local and foreign aerospace companies and we hope that CTRM's achievements will help to build up confidence in both the Malaysian public and business sector of the potential that lies within the aerospace business.”

Since the new fleet announcement in December 2004, AirAsia has concluded a USD $ 750 million purchase agreement with CFM International for the CFM56-5B engines to power its A320s. The low fare airline has also signed an OnPointSM Solution engine service agreement with General Electric Company (GE) for the maintenance, overhaul and repair of firm 129 CFM56-5B engines that will power the airline’s new fleet of Airbus A320-200 aircraft.

Renowned for its high dispatch reliability, and fuel savings aerodynamics, the A320 is expected to enter into service beginning Dec 2005 and continue through until 2011. The 180 seat configured A320s will completely replace the single aisle, 148 seat configuration Boeing 737-300s currently operated by the AirAsia Group (comprising AirAsia in Malaysia, Thai AirAsia in Thailand and AWAIR in Indonesia). AirAsia would operate a mixed fleet during this transition period.

CTRM’s participation in the Airbus A320 programme started in 2001 with the first contract awarded to manufacture the leading Edge and Trailing Edge Panels. As a follow order, other packages for the wing was awarded and manufactured by CTRM in Melaka. On 14 th July 2004, at the Le Bourget Paris Air Show, CTRM was awarded an extension for the A320 contract. The extension, worth RM800 million, is for 5 years (2006-2010), and is with the intention to extend the life of the aircraft.

With the extension of the contract, CTRM has been trusted with the responsibility to manufacture wing component a close collaboration with BAE Systems Aerostructure, thus becoming the largest composite wing component supplier for the A320 series of aircraft.

*60 firm and 40 purchase rights

HAHAHAHA, Sandeep I joked with you that it was to be delivered on December 5th! Well guess what, IT IS!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I pray that it will be pushed back to the 6th! blink.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

can anybody predict which route its gonna fly first? rolleyes.gif

calculating load factor + distance,i'd say........KUL-BKK??

Great. Hope i'll be lucky enough to be on AK 320 when i go to KUL this December.

By the way, their A320-200 will have 180 seats.

hi guys, it's actually the 8th of dec, well, at least thats what i think i heard when tony made his speech.
It isn't very clear as to whether it is handed over on the 5th or arriving in KUL. If handed over on the 5th, the 8th is fairly reasonable. Would imagine it would route TLS-DXB-KUL, possibly interim stop in CMB, following a similar routing to the 733's coming from the UK. However, i'm not sure of the procedures your authorities follow, however ours had to first delivered via a milk run of sorts to properly assess the crews. I would imagine there would be a period of route-proving, etc to follow before she formally enters service.

Does anyone know the rego block?

Thanks for the news Gibby...

I really like Air Asia's new scheme, white tail and red fuselage which I saw on Malaysian newspaper and Putra LRT trains. Hope that will go on the fuselage of first A320.

Hopefully the spotters at planepictures.net will have scooped a spy pic for us at Toulouse

It isn't very clear as to whether it is handed over on the 5th or arriving in KUL. If handed over on the 5th, the 8th is fairly reasonable. Would imagine it would route TLS-DXB-KUL, possibly interim stop in CMB, following a similar routing to the 733's coming from the UK. However, i'm not sure of the procedures your authorities follow, however ours had to first delivered via a milk run of sorts to properly assess the crews. I would imagine there would be a period of route-proving, etc to follow before she formally enters service.

13514[/snapback]

Hmmm...

A stop in Dubai is quite likely...

Will try and get some info regarding that possibility. smile.gif

13514[/snapback]

most probably continue with the 9M-AE* series

Ponder this,AirAsia's rego:

9M-AA*-AirAsia

9M-AE*-Asian Express

what's next..9M-AX* (AXM),9M-AK* (AK)?

Coincidence?

So... is MW team going to assemble for the arrival?? biggrin.gif

But I would most probably in LIMA'05 if between 5-8 Dec,

Hopefully she'll drop by in Langkawi biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

im assuming that the livery for this new airbus is the same as the A320 in their website rite??

any news which A320 will be in Man Utd livery?

Ever since I first saw her, its been hard to get her out of my head. Can't remember ever really getting excited like this about an aircraft!

Congratulations to AirAsia, may you have many happy and equally successful years of operation!

attn repainters: Anyone willing to repaint the PSS A320?

Happy spotting this weekend guys and gals!

Edited by Liam Gibb