Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

MAB Orders 10 Boeing 737 MAX 10 with Lie-Flat Business Class Seats

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

I thk the lie flat for Max10 would really be great. Great for overnight 5-6 hr flights. But a bit disappointed that the A350 biz product is the same as A330 but I guess a slight improvement from the current A380 biz. 

I like the A330 J product. It has a decent balance between privacy, spaciousness and aisle access. On the A350, you'll just need to stay clear of those 3 out of 31 seats for direct aisle access.

Is it the best J product in the sky? Not quite, but it's also far from the most elusive. I'd much rather have a reasonably good J product that's actually accessible, than an OMG 270 degree lie-flat minibar-equipped double-aisle access product that I can only judge by looking at pictures.

#42 RaymondT

RaymondT
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

I like the A330 J product. It has a decent balance between privacy, spaciousness and aisle access. On the A350, you'll just need to stay clear of those 3 out of 31 seats for direct aisle access.

Is it the best J product in the sky? Not quite, but it's also far from the most elusive. I'd much rather have a reasonably good J product that's actually accessible, than an OMG 270 degree lie-flat minibar-equipped double-aisle access product that I can only judge by looking at pictures.

My only grip with the current A330 J product is the lack of reliable storage space. (Reliable because it's very seat dependent). Thrones gets the best storage options, followed by those seated on the left side of the plane etc etc.

#43 Josh T

Josh T
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:40 AM

From AusBT:
https://www.ausbt.co...utm_source=grid

Seriously...they need lie-flat seats in business for a subset of the new 737MAX aircraft. They're going to use them for flights over 5 hours and quite a few of them are red-eyes. This is an opportunity not to be missed!

#44 Suzanne Goh

Suzanne Goh
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

Those will come at a cost. If it means higher prices , reduced U class availability, reduced overall availability or harder MHupgrade opportunities - Im inclined to hope it doesnt happen.

#45 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,313 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

MH does not have a strategic fleet plan at the moment. That is why it is still unable to finalise any order for the A330 fleet replacement.

IMHO, flatbeds are probably a good idea for Max 10 aircraft as these can be used on sectors over 4 hours. Max 8 aircraft should probably have recliners as MH is not really a premium airline these days.

But really, MH should look at its entire network and plan the fleet accordingly. Then it will be much easier to decide on what strategy should be deployed.

#46 Mr.Bandit

Mr.Bandit
  • Silver Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:36 PM

And of course to stand up or on par with upcoming SIA narrowbody fleet from the Silk Air merging.

#47 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

MH does not have a strategic fleet plan at the moment. That is why it is still unable to finalise any order for the A330 fleet replacement.

IMHO, flatbeds are probably a good idea for Max 10 aircraft as these can be used on sectors over 4 hours. Max 8 aircraft should probably have recliners as MH is not really a premium airline these days.

But really, MH should look at its entire network and plan the fleet accordingly. Then it will be much easier to decide on what strategy should be deployed.

But how would the MW community feel about narrowbodies on >4 hour flights?

And of course to stand up or on par with upcoming SIA narrowbody fleet from the Silk Air merging.

I don't quite understand the obsession with trying to put up a fight with SQ.

It's clear that MH isn't in the same league its sibling to the south. This is a fact that many MWers consistently bring up when trying to put MH back in its place after it tries something SQ-esque. Paradoxically, it's also the source of much disappointment and fantasy when MH doesn't do something SQ-esque.

#48 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,313 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

But how would the MW community feel about narrowbodies on >4 hour flights?

I don't quite understand the obsession with trying to put up a fight with SQ.

It's clear that MH isn't in the same league its sibling to the south. This is a fact that many MWers consistently bring up when trying to put MH back in its place after it tries something SQ-esque. Paradoxically, it's also the source of much disappointment and fantasy when MH doesn't do something SQ-esque.

Narrowbodies will soon dominate medium range flights for airlines that cannot fill wide bodies on these sectors. If the cabin is properly configured for medium haul flights, it should be quite comfortable. It will also help MH on those routes that are too thin for the A330s.

Max 8's featuring the current 738 LCCesque configuration is OK for short ASEAN and domestic flights should also help MH achieve good economics.

Clearly, MH is not in SQ's league - haven't they learnt that lesson from their A380 episode? There isn't much point in trying to keep up with the Jones'. People who fly SQ will not bother looking at MH. Even CX has admitted that the Malaysian market is too price sensitive for them - they came to the conclusion that a premium CX service is not required for Malaysian routes. So MH should focus its products to serve a market that is value based rather than prestige based.

#49 Izanee

Izanee
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Narrowbodies will soon dominate medium range flights for airlines that cannot fill wide bodies on these sectors. If the cabin is properly configured for medium haul flights, it should be quite comfortable. It will also help MH on those routes that are too thin for the A330s.

Max 8's featuring the current 738 LCCesque configuration is OK for short ASEAN and domestic flights should also help MH achieve good economics.

Clearly, MH is not in SQ's league - haven't they learnt that lesson from their A380 episode? There isn't much point in trying to keep up with the Jones'. People who fly SQ will not bother looking at MH. Even CX has admitted that the Malaysian market is too price sensitive for them - they came to the conclusion that a premium CX service is not required for Malaysian routes. So MH should focus its products to serve a market that is value based rather than prestige based.

Well, it is a big ridiculous for CX - they fly to the rest of ASEAN with their Cathay Pacific brand but Malaysia is singled out for Cathay Dragon. Yes, we are price sensitive but I find it hard to believe that a relatively affluent country (compared to Vietnam, phillipines etc etc) cant sustain a CX service.
Maybe AK was too successful in lowering costs to these current levels? I dont know...

#50 David.W

David.W
  • Silver Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

AK are the giants in Malaysia
they definitely make a dent on the premium market here

#51 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

AK are the giants in Malaysia
they definitely make a dent on the premium market here

Even meals on AK are better than MH.

I can see even government sector employees on official travel are increasingly inclined to book on AK within domestic sectors especially when MH frequency now less than AK in many routes and AK's point to point (no KL transit) as being a plus factor.

#52 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

MAB doesn't has the cost structure, corporate culture, management talents or discipline to compete with AK head on. ME3 show, the market is far greater than domestic and demand exist outside LCC. For the long term survival and profitability, MAB needs to get out from the coconut shell to carve a slice market share from AK, ME3, SQ, TG, CX, etc. Believe MAB needs a CEO who has strong will, vision, influence and stay long enough to see through changes. 

CZ and MF foods portion, variety and presentation on domestic sectors is better than MH regional snack box.

Edited by KK Lee, 12 January 2019 - 11:48 PM.

#53 JuliusWong

JuliusWong
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

MAB doesn't has the cost structure, corporate culture, management talents or discipline to compete with AK head on. ME3 show, the market is far greater than domestic and demand exist outside LCC. For the long term survival and profitability, MAB needs to get out from the coconut shell to carve a slice market share from AK, ME3, SQ, TG, CX, etc. Believe MAB needs a CEO who has strong will, vision, influence and stay long enough to see through changes. 

CZ and MF foods portion, variety and presentation on domestic sectors is better than MH regional snack box.

Problem is where do they find the money from to compete head on with other premium carriers what more lcc. I think most financial institutions will stay far far away from anything to do with MAG... And please don't use my EPF again.... Thank you.

They should be take off hand, to private hand not GLC like Khazanah.

#54 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Problem is where do they find the money from to compete head on with other premium carriers what more lcc. I think most financial institutions will stay far far away from anything to do with MAG... And please don't use my EPF again.... Thank you.

They should be take off hand, to private hand not GLC like Khazanah.

MAS Act 2015 deter many financial institutions except glc from working with MAG unless obtained explicit guarantee from MoF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users