Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

Putrajaya Approved RM1.6 Billion to Build Kulim International Airport

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

Kulim area is actually booming especially on the automobile industry.

But the stuff you need to bring in/out of the area for that industry, is air freight a cost effective option ?

#42 Fitri Shukri

Fitri Shukri
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'm waiting for the time when Perlis also will request their own fully functional airport... Subang to Kangar on ATR72 anyone?

Edited by Fitri Shukri, 09 April 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#43 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Why not Kulim International to Kangar 'Hab' Airport vv ?  :)

#44 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

Remember there was a time when every state on the west coast peninsula wanted their own airport? The era of the west coast airport corridor.

#45 Cire

Cire
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

But the stuff you need to bring in/out of the area for that industry, is air freight a cost effective option ?

I was thinking more of bringing foreign investors directly to the area. 

#46 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:39 AM

I was thinking more of bringing foreign investors directly to the area.

Sorry, must have misunderstood you, for you were mentioning about cargo being landed at Butterworth etc
Btw, what sort of industries there do you have in mind that would warrant plane loads of investors on regular basis ? :) If you don't mind me saying, that quote above sounds very similar to what we are quite used to hearing when when gahmen people romanticize projeks as mean of justification :D

#47 Cire

Cire
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, must have misunderstood you, for you were mentioning about cargo being landed at Butterworth etc
Btw, what sort of industries there do you have in mind that would warrant plane loads of investors on regular basis ? :) If you don't mind me saying, that quote above sounds very similar to what we are quite used to hearing when when gahmen people romanticize projeks as mean of justification :D

Well, I can't for sure know the reasons for the Gov to build an airport there (which I am sure it  valid by itself), but as an automotive industry person whose' company has an automotive component plant located in Kulim, our foreign partners and customers dreaded the drive from KL or even from Penang itself. Given the choice, most of them preferred to fly direct from KLIA to (Kulim airport).Have a couple of meetings, golfs, and then off to Thailand without having to go over to the  island for flight.

Kulim can be an automotive hub as the land there is still considered "cheap", attractive government incentives, and its nearer to Thailand where most of the components are manufactured hence lower cost of manufacturing.

Anyways, it is just me on the automotive industry.

As for the development of the locality, it would be a boost to the local people' income with the airport works and spin-offs.

#48 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

It is a good idea to show on the map the exact location of the proposed airport. Then, we can pinpoint where is the nearest highway (and railway station) and adjacent landuses such as industrial land and urban centres. Then at least we will know whether the proposed airport is good for northern region. A win-win situation for Kedah, Penang and Perlis, and to some extent northern Perak. What is the projected population growth in Penang and Kedah? How much land is needed to support economic activity? 

#49 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

..... our foreign partners and customers dreaded the drive from KL or even from Penang itself. Given the choice, most of them preferred to fly direct from KLIA to (Kulim airport).Have a couple of meetings, golfs, and then off to Thailand without having to go over to the  island for flight.

Doubt if that is enough there alone to sustain traffic regularly, and by extension economic viability of spending millions (more likely billions) of public funds to build the proposed airport in first place. But then as you alluded to, gahmen must have valid reason(s) :)

#50 Cire

Cire
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

Doubt if that is enough there alone to sustain traffic regularly, and by extension economic viability of spending millions (more likely billions) of public funds to build the proposed airport in first place. But then as you alluded to, gahmen must have valid reason(s) :)

yeah, i think the airport project will help lift the income status of the people there.

#51 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

It might be a little bit more viable if the proposed new Butterworth RMAF base was accommodated at Kulim International.... ;) 

#52 Radzi

Radzi
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

yeah, i think the airport project will help lift the income status of the people there.

.......especially if you got some contracts for the construction.

#53 Cire

Cire
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

Personally, I think Kedah wants their own airport so that it can bring in their own tourist/investors without having to use Penang as transit. And probably use it as a transit point for tourist to fly to Kedah. Kedah also planned to have LRT system too that links to its Kulim hightech park.

#54 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

Personally, I think Kedah wants their own airport so that it can bring in their own tourist/investors without having to use Penang as transit. And probably use it as a transit point for tourist to fly to Kedah. Kedah also planned to have LRT system too that links to its Kulim hightech park.

Well, MAHB's AOR and LGK serve that purpose, or the state government is looking at managing own airport. Why not just utilise AOR, improve transportation links from Penang (adding LRT and bus networks) - state government should promote AOR to passengers and airlines as another alternative to PEN. I think that would cost a lot less than building an entirely new airport.

#55 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

..... - state government should promote AOR to passengers and airlines as another alternative to PEN. I think that would cost a lot less than building an entirely new airport.

Perhaps you're missing something along the way - who would possibly benefit/gain anything if it costs less, let alone "a lot less"  :D

#56 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Perhaps you're missing something along the way - who would possibly benefit/gain anything if it costs less, let alone "a lot less"  :D

Taxpayers la...

#57 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

Taxpayers la...

Oh why yes, how did that escape my imagination
Well, silly me :)

#58 geoff.leo

geoff.leo
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

This story should die a quiet death, and rightly so.

Kulim is within reasonable travelling time to Penang International Airport for business travellers. Travel time should also be shorter these days with the opening of the second Penang bridge. There is no justification for Kulim, with its very small local traffic, to have an airport of its own. Just another case of overly ambitious politicians making noise.

If money is to be well spent, then it is Penang International Airport that needs a major redevelopment badly.

As for Kedah, there is always plenty of room to upgrade sleepy Alor Setar airport if the state government is serious about providing more options for air travellers into the state. Assuming they were serious to begin with.

By the same token, the Malacca state government seem to forget that the world's 20th busiest airport sit at their doorstep.

If there is any airport that deserves attention, it's Ipoh Airport. The Kinta Valley region has a sizeable catchment area (sub 1 million or so), but suffer from being neither nor there. In an age of low cost air travel, Ipoh does offer some potential. The upcoming services from Tigerair is a good start.

Edited by geoff.leo, 27 April 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#59 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Malaysian air cargo business affected by competition from Mideast carriers

Penang Freight Forwarders Association (PFFA) Air Freight said companies preferred to send their cargo through KLIA instead of the Penang International Airport because of the competitive freight rates offered by the Middle East carriers at the former.

“MAS and its joint-service cargo carriers are also sending their cargo to Kuala Lumpur to be exported as they don’t have enough wide body aircrafts servicing with frequency the cargo sector from Penang to the United States, Europe, and the Middle-East. “There are premier airlines with wide-body aircraft servicing the cargo sector from Penang to overseas destinations, but their rates are not competitive,” Kalimuthu said. The trucking charges to Kuala Lumpur from Penang are around RM0.20 to RM0.40 per kg, compared to the air freight charge of RM1.06 per kg to ship cargo to Kuala Lumpur from Penang.

See more at: http://www.thestar.c...iers/?style=biz

#60 Kenny Sing

Kenny Sing
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:17 AM

If there is any airport that deserves attention, it's Ipoh Airport. The Kinta Valley region has a sizeable catchment area (sub 1 million or so), but suffer from being neither nor there. In an age of low cost air travel, Ipoh does offer some potential. The upcoming services from Tigerair is a good start

yea, it's a good start for WMKI with Tiger Air flying in, perhaps making Ipoh a transit airport to further places like Bangkok, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Guangzhou, even Borneo? But i think A320 and B738 gonna be the limit the airport can handle, the runway is mere 2100m and further expansion gonna involve land acqusition (that a huge amount of money) . I miss the old days where i see daily flights of MAS 734 in Ipoh airport. by then we can still go to the 2nd floor to watch the aircraft (they have a laman tinjau there), not sure about it now though. :acute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users