MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

MAS To Receive First ATR Aircraft In August 2008

May 08, 2008 17:15 PM

MAS To Receive First ATR Aircraft In August 2008

PUTRAJAYA, May 8 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will receive its first ATR 72-500s turbo-prop aircraft to replace its ageing Fokkers 50 come August, managing director Idris Jala said Thursday.

The national carrier will receive another four ATR aircraft by end of this year, he told reporters after a luncheon talk here.

It will receive another five ATR aircraft in 2009, he added.

In June last year, MAS signed an agreement with Avion de Transport Regional (ATR) for the purchase of 20 ATR 72-500s turbo-prop aircraft for its subsidiary, Firefly.

The airline said the contract was for the purchase of 10 72-seater ATR aircraft plus an option for another 10 aircraft.

The contract is worth about US$360 million (US$1.00=RM3.20), with a list price of about US$18.3 million per aircraft.

-- BERNAMA

Good news for many, Great news for MH. Bad news for some.

22 seats extra with less than F50 operating costs will mak many accountants smile.

The road to SZB will be more crowded soon. Its gonna take me 30 mins to get to office from the current 15.

My kid who studies in Pengkalan Chepa is already a regular user of SZB. :D

I've flown on ATR-72s a couple of times...the baggage compartment is located behind flightdeck and in front of cabin. Despite being a turboprop a/c, cabin sound-proofing is not bad.

In Taiwan, they normally use ATR-72s to commute between offshore islands and main island, operating at below 20,000ft (IIRC).

There are several crashes involving ATR-72s - almost all due to icing problems. In 2002, a Transasia ATR-72 vanished without its wreckage being found...crash investigators found its FDR only. Crash investigation attributed the cause to icing problems.

Strangely, it slammed into the sea where most of CI 611 wreckage was found after the 742's midflight airframe disintegration. This occured on the 7th month anniversary after it transported CI 611's victims body parts, back to the main island.

Edited by Denny Yen

But importantly...

We are having ATR Aircraft soon... :D

But i also miss fokker 50 too...:cray:

Dunno wat they will do to the fokker...

But importantly...

We are having ATR Aircraft soon... :D

But i also miss fokker 50 too...:cray:

Dunno wat they will do to the fokker...

question: who will get it first Maswing of Firefly???

Yayheyhey!..... FY will get the 1st ATR!!

Next to try: ATR-72. Last time onboard the f50, the stewardess told me that their F50 key-chain will be on sale until Aug this year because ATR-72 is coming, so told me that i better buy now before it runs out... she got me there.... :p

I've flown on ATR-72s a couple of times...the baggage compartment is located behind flightdeck and in front of cabin. Despite being a turboprop a/c, cabin sound-proofing is not bad.

In Taiwan, they normally use ATR-72s to commute between offshore islands and main island, operating at below 20,000ft (IIRC).

There are several crashes involving ATR-72s - almost all due to icing problems. In 2002, a Transasia ATR-72 vanished without its wreckage being found...crash investigators found its FDR only. Crash investigation attributed the cause to icing problems.

Strangely, it slammed into the sea where most of CI 611 wreckage was found after the 742's midflight airframe disintegration. This occured on the 7th month anniversary after it transported CI 611's victims body parts, back to the main island.

CHOYYYYYYY! Touch the wood!

Hope everything will be fine and smooth!

Yayheyhey!..... FY will get the 1st ATR!!

Next to try: ATR-72. Last time onboard the f50, the stewardess told me that their F50 key-chain will be on sale until Aug this year because ATR-72 is coming, so told me that i better buy now before it runs out... she got me there.... :p

I have 2 of it

And of course will miss the fokker ride!

CHOYYYYYYY! Touch the wood!

anything wrong with my surname???? :rofl: :help:

btw, last time i thought they order 15 ATR. my bad memory... when will MW receive the first? <_>

btw, last time i thought they order 15 ATR. my bad memory... when will MW receive the first? <_>

If MW means MalaysianWings, then I guess the spotters will get the ATR on delivery day. :rofl:

If MW means MalaysianWings, then I guess the spotters will get the ATR on delivery day. :rofl:

sorry for my laziness. :sorry: MASWings. :D of course i don't mind MW got one ATR. :rofl:

Despite being a turboprop a/c, cabin sound-proofing is not bad.

Even though I'm a vivid Fokker supporter, I've to agree the ATR is a fine turboprop aircraft to fly in, from the passenger's point of view...It looks ugly from the outside, but the inside is a different story: very pleasant indeed ;)

Icing conditions and ATr-crashes: remember the Italian one over the Alps and the American Eagle one over at Indiana ?

My next FY F50 rides will be at the end of the month and early next month.

After that FY again in August. Hmm... the ones in August hopefully they are on the new ATR72 (although I would have preferred the Bombardier Q400 instead).

The question remains, did MH shop around enough before making the decision to get the ATR's? I concur that they are ugly.

It's the inside that matters to MH, Ewan... what to do... :pardon:

At first you may not like it.... but just keep looking at it and you may fall in love with it, eventually.... :p

well, nice for spotters...

nowadays i go back to my Kampung, Kuala Terengganu on FireFly...best, fast, cheap, time, ..

Peanuts that i had in MH is free...firefly = MYR1.00, coke MYR5.00...what the heck...bantai je!!

as for now...i am making sure that Their Fokker 50, 9M-MGD, MGI and MGK are good to shoot for collections.

come to SZB...check their timetable...Afternoon is Good...stand near runway 15...sure Photo OK...

Ever wondered why FY's ATR is configured with 72 pax while Maswings' is 68???

Firefly.jpg

Well, FY hopes carries more holidaymakers while, Maswings will have less seats to carry more cargo from rural areas...

MASwings.jpg

This means that FY will have 2-4 seats facing backwards....cool eh?But ATR seats are 31' while FOKKER is 32'!!

But heard that ATR has IEF...dropdown screen pun jadi lah...

Personally for me...i think that MASwings should have a mix fleet of ATR72 and 42 for the thin routes...just my 5 cent.Hehehe!

I heard from a Maswings crew that MASwings should get theirs next year...boohoo!Why so late??

Any replacement for the Twin Otter???No news kah?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Kenneth,

There are rumors that the Twin Otters will be replaced with Twin Otter Series 400,but so far no news about it.

But found this out from the net.Check this out:

http://www.vikingair.com/content2.aspx?id=276

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby