MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff R.

Malaysian airlines that are no more

I have being doing some searching for information on airlines that no longer exist and wondered if anyone can provide any information regarding what routes they flew, where they were based and if anyone has photos please post them.

Adorna Airways - Operated an A310 VR-BQU from March to November 1997

Aero Malaysiana - Operated an ATR72 9M-AMA from September 2002 to September 2003

Asia Pacific Airlines - Operated a Metro 9M-BCH from 1995 to 1998

Athena Air Services - Reported to have started B727 flights from Johor Bahru to Indonesia from 19 November 2003

Thanks

Geoff

SAEGA Air

There is another, a one plane operation (Do228) operating from BKI, which name escapes me for now

SAEGA Air

There is another, a one plane operation (Do228) operating from BKI, which name escapes me for now

They actually had a Dash 8 in MYY for a few months.

SAEGA Air

Also a CRJ200 for a very short time.

AERO MALAYSIANA never took-off. There were photo's of the ATR in it's colours in France but it never received it Air Operator Licence.

Photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Edited by Alan B.

Another defunct company "Tiram Air" operating from Senai, Johor. If not mistaken they're using DHC-6 Twin Otter.

Let's not forget good 'ol Pelangi Air :)Pelangi_Airways_malaysia.gif
Not forgetting Pelangi Air fly to Koh Samui back then.

After pelangi tutup kedai...there one small company operate small jets to kertih airport for Petronas and EMEPMI staff. Sorry can't remember the name. But anybody in SZB, i believe still can see the ac park in the apron.

I understand there was a predecessor to Borneo Skyways i.e. Vision Air. I think this is what BC Tam may refer to.

Then there was Malaysian Air Charter.

Edited by Rozhan

Malaysia Air Charter (MAC) operated a few Shorts Skyvans and BN-2s. Someone posted a picture in A.net a few weeks ago.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia_Ai...1317850/medium/

Operating the B1900's ?

I think MHS Aviation is still operating, and thriving.

Anybody remembers Mafira Air? Operated a single F-28, which later wents to Batavia as PK-YCM. This was told verbally by the Batavia captain, but also remember seeing their office it the Subang Airtel building.

Edited by Radzi

Don't forget Borneo Airways that has ties with RBA back in the days for feeder services from LBU, MYY, BTU and MZV to BWN.

Edited by Adrian M

..... i.e. Vision Air .....
That is it - thank you, thank you ! :good: Now perhaps I can lay off the panadol ! :)
Don't forget Borneo Airways that has ties with RBA back in the days for feeder services from LBU, MYY, BTU and MZV to BWN.
When was that Adrian ? Did the thing ever get off ? I recall there were lots of things being announced during the BIMP-EAGA hooh-hah, also a lot of hot air too as it turned out ! :) How is life in Labuan nowadays ?

Asia Pacific Airlines - Operated a Metro 9M-BCH from 1995 to 1998.

This could be the one that operated out of Sg Besi Airport. They also operated a few helicopter charter services.

When was that Adrian ? Did the thing ever get off ? I recall there were lots of things being announced during the BIMP-EAGA hooh-hah, also a lot of hot air too as it turned out ! :) How is life in Labuan nowadays ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borneo_Airways

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Borneo_Airw.../0048195/large/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Borneo_Airw.../0027335/large/

Borneo Airways appeared after RBA stop using F50 to LBU, MYY & BTU and it did take off, until 1999. Then MH F50 solely feeding the flight thru BKI-LBU-BWN-LBU-BKI. And that too doesn't last very long.

Life in Labuan? There's no life here. I can count how many times I went to the town since I came back to Labuan and count with just one hand. LBU traffic wise, Yawn...

Back to the topic, I think I recall there is also Budjet based in BKI and also Aero Asia in West Malaysia.

Edited by Adrian M

I can recall that many years ago i stop at LBU before continuing to MYY. KUL-LBU-MYY.

I remember back then i did not need to disembark at LBU, i was a kid back then and remembered that theres a friendly steward that lets me follow him up and down the aircraft LOL.

SAEGA Air

SAEAGA AIRLINES was the brainchild of Tan Sri Ting Phek King. It was a collaboration between Ekran Berhad (went bankrupt since),State Govt of Sabah and Sarawak. I was actually there at the hangar during its launch in Kuching.Where Lord White Hair, our beloved CM came and "menepung tawa" (blessing of) the 3 planes. The hangar is now Hornbill Skyway's. They operated 1 deHavilland Dash 8-200, 1 deHavilland Dash 8-300 and a CRJ 200.They were planning to fly to the larger BIMP-EAGA region. I had the program book but I think my dad threw it away!!They operated a daily BTU-KUL on the CRJ 200. MYY-MZU-BKI on the Dash8-300 and KCH-SBU-BTL on the Dash8-200.Just a Trivia-in the short while it flew...the cabin crew went through 2 uniform changes.1st was a Pink Blazer with White Buttondown Shirt,Black skirt and Polka dot scarf then a purple hue broad neck kebaya.(like those on SIA).Kinda sad it ceased operation...would be fun to see how far it would have gone...sad :(

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Also a CRJ200 for a very short time.

AERO MALAYSIANA never took-off. There were photo's of the ATR in it's colours in France but it never received it Air Operator Licence.

Photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Thanks for the link. I knew they never got the second aircraft but thought the first one was delivered. Any idea what routes they planned to operate?

Geoff

Here is my list of Malaysian airlines/passenger carriers that are no longer operating.

Adorna Airways 1997 - 1997

Aero Malaysiana 2002 – 2003

Asia Pacific Airlines 1995 - 1998

Athena Air Services 2003 – Current?

Borneo Airways

Borneo Skyways

Boskym Udara

Continental Heights Golf Resort 1995-1998

FAX (Fly Asian Xpress) 2006 – 2007

Federal Hotels

Ked-Air 2004 - 2006

Kenari Air 2004 - 2006

Kris Udara

Mafira Air Charter Services 1997-1999

Malayan Airways 1947 – 1963

Malaysia Air Charter (MAC) 1962 - 1989

Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) 1965 – 1971 Split into Malaysian Airlines System and Singapore Airlines

Malaysian Airways 1963 – 1965 renamed Malaysia-Singapore Airlines

Malaysian Airlines System (MAS) 1971 – 1987 renamed Malaysian Airlines

Mepati Intan 1997-1997

Metro International Airlines 2002?

Mofaz Air

Nusantara Airlines 1993 – 1997

Pacific Air Charter 1989 – 1989 Renamed Berjaya Air

Pacific Eagle - Original name for what became Air Asia

Pan Malaysian Air Transport

Pelandok Airways 1972 - 1973

Pelangi Air 1987 - 2001

PLM Group 1997-2000

Rajawali Air Transport

Saeaga Airlines 1995-1998

Silverline Airways

Southern Cross Malaysian Airways 1971 - 1972

Tavira Air 2000-????

Tioman Island Resorts 1990-????

Trans Pacific 1998-1999

Vision Air 2001 - 2003

Wira Kris Udura 1995 - ????

Wira Kris Schreiner Malaysia

I have gathered a lot of information but information on some of the airlines is difficult to come by. I still have many questions so I will post some in the coming days.

Geoff

SAEAGA AIRLINES was the brainchild of Tan Sri Ting Phek King. It was a collaboration between Ekran Berhad (went bankrupt since),State Govt of Sabah and Sarawak. I was actually there at the hangar during its launch in Kuching.Where Lord White Hair, our beloved CM came and "menepung tawa" (blessing of) the 3 planes. The hangar is now Hornbill Skyway's. They operated 1 deHavilland Dash 8-200, 1 deHavilland Dash 8-300 and a CRJ 200.They were planning to fly to the larger BIMP-EAGA region. I had the program book but I think my dad threw it away!!They operated a daily BTU-KUL on the CRJ 200. MYY-MZU-BKI on the Dash8-300 and KCH-SBU-BTL on the Dash8-200.Just a Trivia-in the short while it flew...the cabin crew went through 2 uniform changes.1st was a Pink Blazer with White Buttondown Shirt,Black skirt and Polka dot scarf then a purple hue broad neck kebaya.(like those on SIA).Kinda sad it ceased operation...would be fun to see how far it would have gone...sad :(

Thanks for that information Kenneth. If Wikipedia is to be believed Saeaga Airlines also had signed a deal to lease 10 A320 to expand it's destinations to Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi and 6 destination in China, 2 in Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines and Indonesia by September 1998. However, the airline ceased trading in April 1998 due to financial problems due in part at least to the Asian financial crisis.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff R.

i remember a few years ago, there were news about a new(?) budget airline waiting to start up to compete with AK. It is called ASMARA airline IIRC... apparently they never get off the ground. What happened actually? Anyone knows?

Edited by zaki

Good effort on compiling the names Geoff. Many of the companies were short lived indeed. I remember Boskym Udara operating red helicopters...saw 2 at Genting Highlands at one time if I recall correctly.

Genting Helicopter Services were suspended after an accident at Genting Highlands helipad, with fatalities including the pilot. They used to operate white-painted Bell helicopters with the Genting logo.

Sign in to follow this