MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

SIA's Chew: A380 pleases, Virgin Atlantic disappoints

Hi,

just wondering if MAS still stay ordered for 6 a380 or they canceled all of it? i checked with airbus. aparently there're no order from malaysia airlines anymore. if they did cancel it, why MAS give up so easily!??? LOSER!

As mentioned before, the A380 order is under PENERBANGAN MALAYSIA BHD., not Malaysia Airlines. PMB is the goverment company that owns and leases the planes to MH. The A380 order still stands at 6.

Edited by Alan B.

Losers, i mean there's no patience of waiting..... if they dont have this.. that mean they losers.

Losers, i mean there's no patience of waiting..... if they dont have this.. that mean they losers.

its not that PMB has no patience of waiting, its the lengthy delays by Airbus to deliver the a/c that has been bugging some major airliners. what if Qantas or Emirates had no patience too, are they consider LOSERS too?

Well sometimes being a 'loser' doesn't really bad, we have to let go something that will bring more harm than good to a company.

Can you say dropping a unprofitable route as loser? I would say they're 'smart'. (I'm not refering to any airline)

Hi,

just wondering if MAS still stay ordered for 6 a380 or they canceled all of it? i checked with airbus. aparently there're no order from malaysia airlines anymore. if they did cancel it, why MAS give up so easily!??? LOSER!

Excuse me? Did you know that delays can cause money?

Excuse me? Did you know that delays can cause money?

Of course it will cost $$ since it cant be use for profitable routes especially in time of high fuel prices nowadays.

For the LHR-KUL-SYD route and at the frequency operated at the moment, don't you think at least three A388's would be needed?

The other three could be used for the likes of KUL-AMS and the KUL-JHB-CPT-EZE route.

But I do agree with you though, a couple of medium-range regional aircraft should be considered. The A330's would probably be the cheapest for the short term, but in terms of efficiency I see them ordering the either the 787's or the A350's.

Jani,

You are kidding right? As it is, they have trouble reaping even a slightest hint of a profit for the twice daily KUL-LHR. And you want them to deploy the A380 on the KUL-JNB (not JHB)-EZE?? That latter route needs to be axed once and for all! In fact NONE of the routes in MAS's network presently can support an A380 (economically viable, that is). Their best bet, as I mentioned would be the LHR-KUL-SYD BUT they need to have a miracle on that one to make it work so hopefully profits will start flowing in soon.

So I guess the delay was a blessing in dusguise, buys the management some time to really think about what to do with those planes.

I of course am no logistic expert so I am sorry if I just assumed the KUL-EZE route was always full since it stops so many places along the way, and also because if I'm not mistaken, the only gateway in South East Asia to South America.

If so, then it is of course so obviously true that the A380 is currently not economically a good option for MH, but I guess when MH ordered it, it was more because of 'national pride' and because of intimidation from the likes of TG and SQ :D

Edited by jani

my bad sorry... i just bit pissed off! i want MAS owned that monster!

Seriously for what?? to leave it grounded on tarmac at KUL or to reduce Frequencies to London to once daily from twice daily? MH can't even fill two B747 to London. Let alone A380.

The only way that going to work for MH with A380 is to lease them.. at least in this near future.

For MH to have it, It would give the phrase "White Elephant" literal meaning don't they?

I of course am no logistic expert so I am sorry if I just assumed the KUL-EZE route was always full since it stops so many places along the way, and also because if I'm not mistaken, the only gateway in South East Asia to South America.If so, then it is of course so obviously true that the A380 is currently not economically a good option for MH, but I guess when MH ordered it, it was more because of 'national pride' and because of intimidation from the likes of TG and SQ :D
Multi-stop milk runs are no indication of a full flight. There are many obstacles MAS faces on this route. 1. Lack of demand2. Poor marketing leading to non-generation of demand3. Poor frequency leading to a drop in economic viabilityBeing the "ONLY GATEWAY FROM SE ASIA TO S AMERICA" is a very prestigious title to hold provided this is not bleeding the airline to death. Now, this title has become a butt of jokes among the aviation community, mostly aimed at MAS. Remember, a full flight doesn't necessarily mean it is profitable. If you cannot sell the seats, what do you do? Sell it at pasar-malam prices and can you imagine what that would do for the yields?
Multi-stop milk runs are no indication of a full flight. There are many obstacles MAS faces on this route. 1. Lack of demand2. Poor marketing leading to non-generation of demand3. Poor frequency leading to a drop in economic viabilityBeing the "ONLY GATEWAY FROM SE ASIA TO S AMERICA" is a very prestigious title to hold provided this is not bleeding the airline to death. Now, this title has become a butt of jokes among the aviation community, mostly aimed at MAS. Remember, a full flight doesn't necessarily mean it is profitable. If you cannot sell the seats, what do you do? Sell it at pasar-malam prices and can you imagine what that would do for the yields?
I also forgot to add that in this time and space, milk-run type operations are considered very passe already. In the past before the introduction of the 747-400, yes it was common to find this kind of routes being flown. Remember Korean Airlines and Japan Airlines in the 80s when they flew to Rome, it was always via BKK, DEL, JED, KWI, ATH and then finally... ROM! Phew!So this is not really a very attractive route to fly, KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. Now EK gets you to S America from KUL via DXB and that is only one stop!Retro music is cool, retro-style ops isn't!

Couldn't agree more :good:

..... In the past before the introduction of the 747-400, yes it was common to find this kind of routes being flown. Remember Korean Airlines and Japan Airlines in the 80s when they flew to Rome, it was always via BKK, DEL, JED, KWI, ATH and then finally... ROM! Phew!

Sigh, but I'll bet some amongst us would relish just such a flight nowadays ! :) (Those with too much time on their hand mostly)

Remember MH's KUL - 'somewhere in middle east' - 'somewhere in continental europe' - LHR vv flights ? Forerunner to the "survivor" series nowadays, if one travelled in Y that is !

Seriously though, it just illustrates how far the air travel has developed over time. Apart from the technical challenge of squeezing sufficient range from the hardware available then to do Seoul/Tokyo - Rome non-stop, there probably wasn't sufficient traffic between the two end-points to justify a point-to-point service. Nowadays, with sufficient traffic volume and aircraft with the technical ability to do the hop, it's more or less the expectation rather than the exception

I recall the 'KUL/SIN/HKG' direct non-stop service to LHR as being a major, major marketing tool by the airlines concerned. Nowadays, even budget carriers are doing the run

Edited by BC Tam

I wanted MAS to have the Concorde once upon a time. Doesn't mean they are a loser when they didn't get it. ;)

MAS really can't fill two 744's to London? Thats news to me.

Not only it is news to you, in fact it shocked many within the aviation circle when the network feasibility study was done during the last BTP. Such a HIGH YIELDING destination like LHR was bleeding red ink for MAS. No one could believe it, but the facts cannot lie. That was why the 3 daily was reduced to only 2. The silly stop via Langkawi and Penang was also removed. Now they are struggling to be in the black with 2 daily, you think the A380 will help? There are lots of premium business traffic radiating from LHR, ZRH and FRA (very key financial institutions in Europe) which MAS has pretty much failed to capitalise on.

Not only it is news to you, in fact it shocked many within the aviation circle when the network feasibility study was done during the last BTP. Such a HIGH YIELDING destination like LHR was bleeding red ink for MAS. No one could believe it, but the facts cannot lie. That was why the 3 daily was reduced to only 2. The silly stop via Langkawi and Penang was also removed. Now they are struggling to be in the black with 2 daily, you think the A380 will help? There are lots of premium business traffic radiating from LHR, ZRH and FRA (very key financial institutions in Europe) which MAS has pretty much failed to capitalise on.

MH has yet to understand what customers want and is not a surprise to loss

business travellers.

:drinks:

you're right Ryan - MAS has consistently failed to make MAJOR HIGH YIELDING routes such as LHR, FRA, ZRH profitable. It is indeed shocking.

Economy class is being filled ok - its just the front end that's the problem. I am not an expert but I really cannot understand how MAS can screw this up. Anyways -i've had enough of MAS bashing. It is painful and it doesn't help the situation whatsoever. IJ&Co will just do as they please - so let them do it.

Its nice to know that MAS charters is in safe hands! I don't know about MASkargo - it used to be in safe hands.

Is their LHR route still not reaping high yield?

So, are we saying that all the recent feel-good news from MH on how they managed to be back in black, is all due to selling off of their properties and cutting overhead?

masseats.jpg

Do we still need an A380? SQ, DEFINITELY. Fully booked in ALL CLASSES :blink: All their SQ322 are always fully booked!!

Edited by Edwin P K

Sign in to follow this