MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Are you being afraid because of MH's sheer bad luck or you were just afraid of flying over the route to Europe?

I on the other hand have had tears burst from my eyes while waiting for the flight back to KUL at CDG and remembering MH 17 innocent victims. I looked around and noticed all the passengers waiting for the flight, some were business travellers while some were leisure travellers. Some were excited and having chats over the trip while some were impassive and focusing on the the books, tablets, and music with headphones over their heads. I bet it was pretty much the same scene when MH 17 passengers were waiting to board the flight but instead of boarding to paradise, they were boarding to hell! I couldn't help with the sour feeling and let out my tears and prayed silently for the victims and for this flight.

I'm sure you didn't mean it as it may seem to some like myself but I hardly think the victims of either planes have ended up in hell...

Are you being afraid because of MH's sheer bad luck or you were just afraid of flying over the route to Europe?

I on the other hand have had tears burst from my eyes while waiting for the flight back to KUL at CDG and remembering MH 17 innocent victims. I looked around and noticed all the passengers waiting for the flight, some were business travellers while some were leisure travellers. Some were excited and having chats over the trip while some were impassive and focusing on the the books, tablets, and music with headphones over their heads. I bet it was pretty much the same scene when MH 17 passengers were waiting to board the flight but instead of boarding to paradise, they were boarding to hell! I couldn't help with the sour feeling and let out my tears and prayed silently for the victims and for this flight.

Well......

These mixed feelings popped out after attending a few MAJLIS PENGHORMATAN NEGARA @ Bunga Raya last year. Flying over Europe? No.??

MH? well, it could have been me......I don't know but that's the feelings.....

With 2 A380s gone, shall I assume that Paris will be dropped? or perhaps served by 777? With 4 A380s, does this most likely mean that London will be maintained twice daily?

Well......

These mixed feelings popped out after attending a few MAJLIS PENGHORMATAN NEGARA @ Bunga Raya last year. Flying over Europe? No.??

MH? well, it could have been me......I don't know but that's the feelings.....

Your reaction is perfectly understandable. People reacted differently to the pair of incidents. Some people i know swore they would never fly again. Some people i know swore they would never fly MH again.

Some people I know swore never to fly to Beijing or to Amsterdam again. Some may seem like an overreaction, some may seem illogical to the outside, but to the people making these decisions for themselves, they are the correct ones, period.

I do feel somewhat nervous at times, but i try to keep it out of my mind. It's not because I'm necessarily gung ho, nor do i have death wish, but of the few things in life that give me joy besides my mother's Spaghetti Bolognese, a nice dress or the Game of thrones - flying is it.

So... steady as she goes, don't look down, and remain hopeful that it gets safer and safer as time goes by.

Wait and see - I am not hopeful that they can sell the A380s. There is simply no demand for these at the moment unless airlines like EK and/or SQ needs some planes urgently. I think that they will be stuck with the A380s unless they offer them at RM 1.

Even then, they can simply call up Airbus and buy the Skymark frames or Amedeo to lease them....

Wait and see - I am not hopeful that they can sell the A380s. There is simply no demand for these at the moment unless airlines like EK and/or SQ needs some planes urgently. I think that they will be stuck with the A380s unless they offer them at RM 1.

Even then, they can simply call up Airbus and buy the Skymark frames or Amedeo to lease them....

Selling MH at RM 1 is possible but selling A380 at RM 1 is not logic. People who bought over MH would have to bear the debt, just like TF bought AK at RM 1.

I am more uneasy driving on Malaysian roads - over 7,000 people die on Malaysian roads every year. That is the equivalent of one A320 crash every two weeks!

I for sure would still be comfortable to fly MH as I numerously reminding myself both MH 370 and MH 17 disasters were not due to the pilot's fault, unlike GermanWings, or SG's incident in TPE for that matter, it was due to pilot's fault.

Anyway, back to MH's A380. Is selling the 2 A380 a good idea? like the previous post mentioned, likely CDG would be downgraded to B777. Does CDG's load factor better than AMS's? I thought AMS's would be better providing that AMS is a transit hub where MH partnering with KL.

Stop flying to CDG, codeshare with AF and provide them with feed on malaysian end... And maybe AF can do daily 77W to KUL

Rumours are now swirling in aviation world that Transaero Airlines is adding two A380s for summer schedule. While not confirmed now, both may come from MH or the ex-Skymarks Airlines ntu now at Toulouse.

not sure if it is economically viable to just have 4 A380s flying as that would mean maintenance will still need to have its people and equipment to just maintain 4 frames and having a small number of tech crew who will just fly only KUL-LHR. If MAS intedns to sell 2 frames, it would be better to get rid of the whole 6 frames. Otherwise, the manpower and costs for maintaining just 4 frames does not look economically the best way to do so.

Rumours are now swirling in aviation world that Transaero Airlines is adding two A380s for summer schedule. While not confirmed now, both may come from MH or the ex-Skymarks Airlines ntu now at Toulouse.

Don't think they will be Skymark frames - these are still empty and not fitted with cabins yet. It will most likely be a lease or purchase of the two vacant MH frames. The timing is also similar to what was previously mentioned by MH - these two aircraft will be available from June.

Stop flying to CDG, codeshare with AF and provide them with feed on malaysian end... And maybe AF can do daily 77W to KUL

Or maybe their A380 (yeah a bit of a pig can fly case but never say never). But the daily service is very likely if MH codeshares and stops flying to Paris.

not sure if it is economically viable to just have 4 A380s flying as that would mean maintenance will still need to have its people and equipment to just maintain 4 frames and having a small number of tech crew who will just fly only KUL-LHR. If MAS intedns to sell 2 frames, it would be better to get rid of the whole 6 frames. Otherwise, the manpower and costs for maintaining just 4 frames does not look economically the best way to do so.

I have a feeling that MH will outsource the maintenance segment of the 4 remaining A380s (probably to Singapore) hence the existing engineering team will not be joining MAS newco on 1 September 2015.

Don't think they will be Skymark frames - these are still empty and not fitted with cabins yet. It will most likely be a lease or purchase of the two vacant MH frames. The timing is also similar to what was previously mentioned by MH - these two aircraft will be available from June.

I hope the deal is sealed. Better have the birds flying with someone else and generating lease income rather than leaving them sitting idle on the ground in KUL.

Or maybe their A380 (yeah a bit of a pig can fly case but never say never). But the daily service is very likely if MH codeshares and stops flying to Paris.

I have a feeling that MH will outsource the maintenance segment of the 4 remaining A380s (probably to Singapore) hence the existing engineering team will not be joining MAS newco on 1 September 2015.

I hope the deal is sealed. Better have the birds flying with someone else and generating lease income rather than leaving them sitting idle on the ground in KUL.

So what will they use to LHR?

The 4 remaining A380s.

(6 frames - 2 to go to Transaero = 4 frames)

Or if they manage to sell/lease out all 6 frames, I guess LHR will be downgraded to B772.

The Leeham News piece stated that the 4 frames will be available next year. If that is the case, they will probably have a good idea what aircraft they have at their disposal to ply the LHR route.

I don't discount MAB buying some of D7's 242t A333s - D7 has a lot of planes coming this year and next and very few viable new routes. They have also not discounted the possibility of selling some of their aircraft.

With the withdrawal of A380s from LHR, D7 might be able to have some space into the UK market and may restart their KUL-LGW route at the same time.

I have a strong feeling that MAS newco will not be acquiring/leasing any new aircraft. They will make do with the existing fleet of B772, A333 and B738.

Their A330-300s are not fitted for long haul operations - so, it is doubtful that they will be used. They also lack non-stop range to LHR.

MAS owns 4 B777-200ERs - so a cabin refit (perhaps with higher density seating) would provide better economics. These aircraft are probably all paid for and there are no more leasing or finance charges.

If MH is going to let go all their A380, why their homepage still putting up this pic?? And I wonder how much compensation they are going to make for those who have placed the First Class Bookings on the A380 routes to LHR and CDG.MH_zpsbwxuddug.jpg

Looking from the bright side, in my opinion, it is still too early to say how the new business plan will pan out. Until then, we can only hope for the best for MH.

A new MH will take flight soon. And let's hope this NewCo will fly for many years to come with profitability.

Judging from the interviews that CM has been giving lately, he sounds authoritative and know his stuff inside out. He doesn't give two hoots for the unions similar to what he did to Aer Lingus.

If MH is going to let go all their A380, why their homepage still putting up this pic?? And I wonder how much compensation they are going to make for those who have placed the First Class Bookings on the A380 routes to LHR and CDG.MH_zpsbwxuddug.jpg

They are still a going concern and business activities still need to be carried out. But if the Leeham News article is correct, the A380's days are numbered. We just got to wait till 1 September to see what the new company will do.

Latest MH A380 news.

Malaysia Airlines Adds A380 Sydney Limited Service May/June 2015
Malaysia Airlines from 29MAY15 to 08JUN15 (KUL departure) is introducing Airbus A380 operation on Kuala Lumpur – Sydney route, where it’ll operate on MH123/122 service. As a result of A380 service, the airline will temporary reduce Sydney flights from 3 to 2 daily.
MH141 KUL0900 – 1915SYD 333 D
MH123 KUL2345 – 1000+1SYD 380 x1
MH123 KUL2355 – 1100+1SYD 380 1
MH122 SYD1350 – 2040KUL 380 D
MH140 SYD2140 – 0430+1KUL 333 D

Service on 02JUN15 and 03JUN15 (KUL departure, SYD departs next day), service operates with A330-300.

Source: airlineroute.com

If I count correctly this move really put MH A380 to maximum utilisation without a frame to spare if one goes to tech. :huh:

Edited by Din Hilmi

Latest MH A380 news.

Source: airlineroute.com

If I count correctly this move really put MH A380 to maximum utilisation without a frame to spare if one goes to tech. :huh:

For LHR-KUL-SYD pax, transit time at KUL for MH123 is long.

MH140 STA KUL is too early, STD should push back by one hour.