MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Malaysia Airlines Nov 2015 London Heathrow Service Adjustment

Malaysia Airlines during the month of November is adjusting operations on Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow route, as it plans to operate 13 weekly flights, instead of 14. MH004/001 service is being cancelled on following dates: 04NOV15, 12NOV15, 17NOV15, 24NOV15. This service is being operated by Airbus A380 aircraft.

MH004 KUL1010 – 1615LHR 380

MH002 KUL2330 – 0535+1LHR 380

MH003 LHR1050 – 0730+1KUL 380

MH001 LHR2135 – 1825+1KUL 380

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/04/mh-lhr-nov15/

Strange way of cancelling one of the flights which falls on different days of the month - one Wed, one Thu and 2 Tuesdays. Is this due to aircraft rotation?

Malaysia Airlines Nov 2015 London Heathrow Service Adjustment

Malaysia Airlines during the month of November is adjusting operations on Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow route, as it plans to operate 13 weekly flights, instead of 14. MH004/001 service is being cancelled on following dates: 04NOV15, 12NOV15, 17NOV15, 24NOV15. This service is being operated by Airbus A380 aircraft.

MH004 KUL1010 – 1615LHR 380

MH002 KUL2330 – 0535+1LHR 380

MH003 LHR1050 – 0730+1KUL 380

MH001 LHR2135 – 1825+1KUL 380

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/04/mh-lhr-nov15/

November is usually a "low" season for traffic - falling after the student rush in Sept/Oct and before the Christmas/New Year super peak.

Question is also what are they going to do with the 6 A380s - as now they only need 4. But it will be expensive to hold on to just 4 planes given the high maintenance and personnel costs to just service these 4 or even 6, and the spares esp holding the spare engines. Seems no airlines wanted any used A380s

Question is also what are they going to do with the 6 A380s - as now they only need 4. But it will be expensive to hold on to just 4 planes given the high maintenance and personnel costs to just service these 4 or even 6, and the spares esp holding the spare engines. Seems no airlines wanted any used A380s

They could do what SIA did - trade in the A380s and make a big order for A330-900s (to replace the current A333 fleet) and A350-1000s (to replace the B772s and A380s).

An order of about 20 A339s and 10 A35Js might be sufficient for Airbus to accept an A380 trade in...

MH is in shrinking mode. They'll probably axe AMS and CDG, leaving only LHR as the longhaul destination. The next furthest destinations will be JED and AKL, now served by A330.

Some A380 will soldier on to LHR until replaced by A350 sometimes in 2017.

If I am not mistaken, the B777 leases are coming to and end in 2015-2016 - renewing them will not be something that MH would consider as the cabins will also need to be refurbished. That may be the reason why MH is presently retaining 6 frames.

If MH also retires their last 6 frames next year, AMS/CDG services would be threatened.

If MH are unable to sell the A380s, it may be possible to use them on these routes - operate the route as KUL-CDG-AMS or KUL-AMS-CDG. They can consider making that a triangular route. That way, they won't need so many aircraft to operate to AMS/CDG. The only problem with this idea is that pax for these routes tend to be non-premium and the A380 is configured for premium....

Press release:

The B777X might be a little redundant, considering that they have just gotten rid of the A380s.

I think that as far as getting the lowest cost of operations as measured in CASK, MH will get low cost A330-900s for regional routes and A350-900s for long haul.

As for short to medium haul, Boeing 738Max and Airbus A321neos should be considered. A mix of the two might be ideal.

A358 most likely will not be manufactured.

Have they gotten rid of the A380?

There were a few one-offs....a couple weeks or so ago, an MH20/21 flight was operated by the 380 although it was 772 many days before and back to 772 thereafter.

IMG_6364_zpsfzw2ga5k.jpg

9M-MNE at King Abd Aziz Jeddah International Airport

Just out of curiousity - for those that know. When it is operated for Hajj charter, is it sold as First Business Economy, or all Economy?

My guess is that it is chartered by Tabung Haji and the pilgrims just follow their seat allocations. It is a good aircraft to charter as it means you need to make fewer flights to ferry the fixed amount of pilgrims.

I have been on the regular MH150/151 on the old B744. F was sold as J. My farewell trip back to KUL after living in JED for 3 years was on this arrangement.

Just out of curiousity - for those that know. When it is operated for Hajj charter, is it sold as First Business Economy, or all Economy?

It depends. Sometimes people just get lucky as they are assigned the "better" seats. I've seen cases where the elderly were given F and J even if paying for Y.

Alternately, Tabung Haji also sells premium packages, so I guess they would be entitled for F or J.

Edited by jani

Just out of curiosity - for those that know. When it is operated for Hajj charter, is it sold as First Business Economy, or all Economy?

On the B777 it was all EY. Don't expect it to be different on the A380.

For the first few flights of Hajj charter on the B777 this year, the business class section was used by the Tabung Haji officials.

Well I learnt something new! - In Mecca are there different stars of hotels? 5* 4* or all one standard of accomodation?

What i'm trying to say is - can the rich pilgrim pay more to have more comforts, or is it against the spirit of the pilgrimage to be "different" from other pilgrims?

Well I learnt something new! - In Mecca are there different stars of hotels? 5* 4* or all one standard of accomodation?

What i'm trying to say is - can the rich pilgrim pay more to have more comforts, or is it against the spirit of the pilgrimage to be "different" from other pilgrims?

The one reason the giant clock tower is built is to accommodate more wealthy pilgrims?...

http://www.swissotel.com/hotels/makkah/

Edited by DaTan

Yes, different types/class of hotels, just like any other city in the world, and some rates charged during hajj make the Dorchester Hotel feel like Motel 6 category.

On Umrah charters, Tabung Haji et al do offer premium class seats on flights to JED and MED for a relatively small add-on. Something like RM1500-2000 for a return business class upgrade and RM2000-2500 for a first class upgrade. Seems to be worth for the A380 flight charters...and there are quite a number of biz seats to fill with the MH configuration.

Yes, different types/class of hotels, just like any other city in the world, and some rates charged during hajj make the Dorchester Hotel feel like Motel 6 category.

On Umrah charters, Tabung Haji et al do offer premium class seats on flights to JED and MED for a relatively small add-on. Something like RM1500-2000 for a return business class upgrade and RM2000-2500 for a first class upgrade. Seems to be worth for the A380 flight charters...and there are quite a number of biz seats to fill with the MH configuration.

Thanks! didn't know that !