MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Imo, If they can't get rid of the A380 they have zero interest in acquiring 2nd hand 77W in the market.

Well, can they afford new aircraft then?

It's like a near bankrupted person says have zero interest in proton and I am only interested in Lamborghinis.

Edited by S V Choong

No problem. Proton is as good as BMW, at least some dumb minister said.

A lot of rumours popping up. Airlinereporter.com says MAS plans to dispose all 777s by end 2016. Plans to build a regional fleet around the A330.

The rumours have raised healthy and interesting discussions on possible ways for MAS to move forward.

I guess we will never know until MAS discloses its plan when the new company starts ops.

I really hope MH doesn't get rid of their A380s. They're good planes and, even though they don't have the best hard product, I've always found them to be very comfortable. I recently experienced Air Canada's business class on their B777 and even though there's direct aisle access, the seats were really uncomfortable and narrow. I'd have the MH A380 business class seat!

A lot of rumours popping up. Airlinereporter.com says MAS plans to dispose all 777s by end 2016. Plans to build a regional fleet around the A330.

The rumours have raised healthy and interesting discussions on possible ways for MAS to move forward.

I guess we will never know until MAS discloses its plan when the new company starts ops.

Does anyone know when Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) will begin their operation?

Well, can they afford new aircraft then?

It's like a near bankrupted person says have zero interest in proton and I am only interested in Lamborghinis.

the problem is that they already in possession of A380, if they buy the 2nd hand 77W to which route will they send it? can they afford to park all the A380 and subs it with the 77W?

Instead, maybe its better for them to acquire the A330 HGW

Does anyone know when Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) will begin their operation?

If I remember correctly, it should be 1 September 2015. Termination letters to all staff will be issued on 1 June, giving 3 months notice. As such all staff will be out a job at the old co on 31 August. All those who have been issued with new employment letters by newco will begin working for newco on 1 September.

the problem is that they already in possession of A380, if they buy the 2nd hand 77W to which route will they send it? can they afford to park all the A380 and subs it with the 77W?

Instead, maybe its better for them to acquire the A330 HGW

Assuming that the govt. SPV (e.g. Terus Peasawat and other similar companies) own the A380s, MH will still need to make lease payments for them whether they fly or park the aircraft. If MH owns them, they will most likely be on finance leases - so they will also need to continue the payments. So it does not make sense to substitute the aircraft with yet another type unless the A380s stop draining cash from MH coffers.

MH should not just say that the A380s are bleeding them. Product wise, the A380 is modern and up to date - MH needs to deploy them on the proper routes and carry out marketing activities to exploit the popularity of the aircraft.

MH should not just say that the A380s are bleeding them .....

Last time say old planes bleeding them

Now new planes also bleeding them

Very serious case of haemophilia (which if it need pointing out is an incurable condition)

Now in terminal stage already (oldco) - hopefully none of the genetic trait is passed on to next generation (newco)

:)

Assuming that the govt. SPV (e.g. Terus Peasawat and other similar companies) own the A380s, MH will still need to make lease payments for them whether they fly or park the aircraft. If MH owns them, they will most likely be on finance leases - so they will also need to continuearrow-10x10.png the payments. So it does not make sense to substitute the aircraft with yet another type unless the A380s stop draining cash from MH coffers.

my earlier statement...

Imo, If they can't get rid of the A380 they have zero interest in acquiring 2nd hand 77W in the market.

Last time say old planes bleeding them

Now new planes also bleeding them

Very serious case of haemophilia (which if it need pointing out is an incurable condition)

Now in terminal stage already (oldco) - hopefully none of the genetic trait is passed on to next generation (newco)

:)

Perhaps the genetic trait is not inherited from the oldco, but from a higher level ? :pardon:

If I remember correctly, it should be 1 September 2015. Termination letters to all staff will be issued on 1 June, giving 3 months notice. As such all staff will be out a job at the old co on 31 August. All those who have been issued with new employment letters by newco will begin working for newco on 1 September.

Letters to be sent out in late last wk of May.

If a 3 mths notice was to have been given, the staff may be given 3 mths pay in lieu of such notice.

The new co starts on 1-June - hence, management prob expected staffing and crew problems which was prob why a number of 737 flights combined/ sub with A333/772 during the transition period.

(Peak demand due to school holidays, mngt trying out widebodies on regional flights yadda yadda are unlikely to be the reasons)

hmmm...and I have an MH flight on 1-June...will the crew show up? Will the substitute crew show up if the originally scheduled don't? will my checked bags arrive in one piece if at all? Will the bags be pilfered? will somebody spit into my food? will I be shouted at my the check-in staff? will my flight leave on time? will the push-back tractor go missing? Will they amazingly run-out of the nasi lemak AND the omelette options? Will my orange juice taste "funny"?

Somehow, I don't see any publicity by MH to re-assure the travelling public that it will be business as usual during the late May/ early June transition period...maybe the travelling public are ignorant of this fact?

Based on Khazanah's 12 point MAS recovery plan in A1b :

Migrate the relevant operations, assets and liabilities of OldCo to NewCo by 1 July 2015.

The quarterly progress update released in 2 March still states 1 July 2015 as well.

So should be 1 July 2015... Unless I missed something from my search.

Links

http://www.khazanah.com/docs/140829%20Khazanah%20announces%2012-point%20MAS%20Recovery%20Plan.pdf

http://www.khazanah.com/docs/5%20Dec%202014%20-%20Khazanah%20announces%20CEO-designate%20of%20MAS%20NewCo.pdf

http://www.khazanah.com/docs/150302%20Second%20MAS%20Recovery%20Plan%20Quarterly%20Progress%20Update.pdf

Letters to be sent out in late last wk of May.

If a 3 mths notice was to have been given, the staff may be given 3 mths pay in lieu of such notice.

The new co starts on 1-June - hence, management prob expected staffing and crew problems which was prob why a number of 737 flights combined/ sub with A333/772 during the transition period.

(Peak demand due to school holidays, mngt trying out widebodies on regional flights yadda yadda are unlikely to be the reasons)

hmmm...and I have an MH flight on 1-June...will the crew show up? Will the substitute crew show up if the originally scheduled don't? will my checked bags arrive in one piece if at all? Will the bags be pilfered? will somebody spit into my food? will I be shouted at my the check-in staff? will my flight leave on time? will the push-back tractor go missing? Will they amazingly run-out of the nasi lemak AND the omelette options? Will my orange juice taste "funny"?

Somehow, I don't see any publicity by MH to re-assure the travelling public that it will be business as usual during the late May/ early June transition period...maybe the travelling public are ignorant of this fact?

I think CM and their team are ironing out the details now and will duly inform the public when time comes.

Fingers crossed for 1st July......MH will herald a new era.

Yeah, I nearly missed a flight last month - staff morale was very poor. They just gave the excuse that there are over 30 flights departing at that time and that was why the baggage drop was so congested. You don't hear this kind of excuse at KLIA2 - they also handle huge numbers of flights each morning....

During the second half of this year, I will not be flying MH. Wait to see what they do before I book any more MH flights.

I would like to report back on 2 A380 flights with MH to/fro LHR, the last of which was completed some 4 hours ago.

Overall, it is very much business as usual except for the load. On both flights, I was among the last ones to check in.

MH 1 on 11 May 2015 - I was on sequence no. 276. Load factor = 280/494 = 57%.

I got a whole row of 3 seats all for myself. My suite in Economy class.

MH 2 on 24 May 2015 - I was on sequence no. 293. Load factor = 300/494 = 61%

Again, I got a whole row of 3 seats all for myself. My suite in Economy class.

I think for the 2 daily LHR service, the best type of aircraft for MH is a twin engine aircraft with a capacity of 300-320 seats only.

I would like to report back on 2 A380 flights with MH to/fro LHR, the last of which was completed some 4 hours ago.

Overall, it is very much business as usual except for the load. On both flights, I was among the last ones to check in.

MH 1 on 11 May 2015 - I was on sequence no. 276. Load factor = 280/494 = 57%.

I got a whole row of 3 seats all for myself. My suite in Economy class.

MH 2 on 24 May 2015 - I was on sequence no. 293. Load factor = 300/494 = 61%

Again, I got a whole row of 3 seats all for myself. My suite in Economy class.

I think for the 2 daily LHR service, the best type of aircraft for MH is a twin engine aircraft with a capacity of 300-320 seats only.

Perhaps the lower loads are typically that amount in the month of May? It could also mean the impact of the incidents from last year is actually showing now. The fares are at some crazy levels, you can get return tickets at RM2600 including taxes.

I don't think this is representative of traffic between KUL and LHR. I'm sure that many new passengers are too afraid to try Malaysia airlines. Plus they have alienated their loyal pax with poor service and cost cutting...

I trust it depends on the season. My flight to LHR on 30th April was quite full as I was doing an online check in and I couldn't book any 2 seats side by side on the upper deck of Economy Class. On the lower deck, there were some empty seats but none could fully utilise 3 or 4 seats to lie flat.

My MH 21 from CDG back to KUL on 15th May has had poor load factor. I managed to get upper deck and before we were airborne, a crew came to ask around if any passenger would like to occupy lower deck and she could reserve 4 seats for us to lie down. But the offer seemed receiving lukewarm from all the passengers at upper deck as many if not all, remained at upper deck.

I don't think this is representative of traffic between KUL and LHR. I'm sure that many new passengers are too afraid to try Malaysia airlines. Plus they have alienated their loyal pax with poor service and cost cutting...

Being a Malaysia Airlines frequent flyer myself, I still have that mixed feelings upon boarding their planes.... Regardless the aircraft type. This happened since 17th July 2014. That uneasy feelings continued to haunt me since that particular date.

Being a Malaysia Airlines frequent flyer myself, I still have that mixed feelings upon boarding their planes.... Regardless the aircraft type. This happened since 17th July 2014. That uneasy feelings continued to haunt me since that particular date.

Are you being afraid because of MH's sheer bad luck or you were just afraid of flying over the route to Europe?

I on the other hand have had tears burst from my eyes while waiting for the flight back to KUL at CDG and remembering MH 17 innocent victims. I looked around and noticed all the passengers waiting for the flight, some were business travellers while some were leisure travellers. Some were excited and having chats over the trip while some were impassive and focusing on the the books, tablets, and music with headphones over their heads. I bet it was pretty much the same scene when MH 17 passengers were waiting to board the flight but instead of boarding to paradise, they were boarding to hell! I couldn't help with the sour feeling and let out my tears and prayed silently for the victims and for this flight.