MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

With this news I bet BA execs are already exploring the possibility of deploying their whalejet sooner than planned to KUL

Not sure about that - I note that when BA last served KUL, there were not that many Malaysian pax on board. For a route to be really successful, an airline need pax at both ends of the route, plus lots of transit traffic!

MH must really think seriously about the A380 - it cannot sell it for that much as there is zero interest from buyers and leasing companies. Leasing them out is MH's only option - they can learn a thing or two from D7's efforts to lease out their A343s.

Ideally, MH should keep the A380s for 12-15 years in order that they can get a full return from these very expensive assets. Selling them now would mean they will take a massive one time charge (probably taken by the old co) but it does not need to pay any more bills for it. If MH can weather the next two years without the A380 and grow stronger, they may consider bringing them back with refurbished cabins that are more suitable for their new business model.

Here is a pix of a rather sorry looking 9M-MND (operating MH 1 from LHR yesterday) - battle weary and unwashed!

web.jpg

Edited by flee

With this news I bet BA execs are already exploring the possibility of deploying their whalejet sooner than planned to KUL

you must be joking! BA will never send the A380 to KUL. There isnt the demand at all! AT ALL!!

Even EK have pulled the A380 from KUL. Hate to say it but KUL is a back water for the major full service airlines. KUL has a vibrant LCC market because of AK but this and MAS giving away its seats away at money losing (tax subsidized) prices is a toxic mix for major airlines as it destroys yields! The last thing BA would want is more capacity to KUL to further depress prices!

EK will be restarting the A380 flights from Jan 2016. The other 3 B777 flights will all be 77W from Oct 2015 AFAIK

EK will be restarting the A380 flights from Jan 2016. The other 3 B777 flights will all be 77W from Oct 2015 AFAIK

My EK346 for later this month was downgraded to a 77W

BA have upgraded its flight to A380 to SIN already

What exactly does that have to do with KUL? SIN is a massively more important airport than KUL Plenty of carrier operate A380's to SIN.

you must be joking! BA will never send the A380 to KUL. There isnt the demand at all! AT ALL!!

Even EK have pulled the A380 from KUL. Hate to say it but KUL is a back water for the major full service airlines. KUL has a vibrant LCC market because of AK but this and MAS giving away its seats away at money losing (tax subsidized) prices is a toxic mix for major airlines as it destroys yields! The last thing BA would want is more capacity to KUL to further depress prices!

Calm down. Take a deep breath. The thread is about the possibility of MH's whalejet being sold.I am talking in that context and the possibility of them pulling out of LHR altogether. If that happens, BA will be the the only FSC out of KUL with a non stop service to LHR. Of course the demand will go up. Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Calm down. Take a deep breath. I am talking in the context of MH pulling the plug on the whalejet and the possibility of them pulling out of LHR altogether. If that happens, BA will be the the only FSC out of KUL with a non stop service to LHR. Of course the demand will go up.

I don't think that demand will go up by much. In Y if EK offers a much cheaper fare on KUL-DXB-LHR Malaysians will lap it up even if it entails a 19 hour(!) transit in Dubai.

As for premium passengers, the 12 F/48 J config on BA's 77E should be more than enough to cover for available demand. Premium space on the MH dugongs are hardly often full & even if it is it will be driven by AU connections.

Calm down. Take a deep breath.

Best advice I've heard all week :) For the most part there's lots of cool heads here but my goodness some newer posters react to aviation news about an airline maybe selling a plane like i was selling my grandmother. Not quite the same thing :) ....

Best advice I've heard all week :) For the most part there's lots of cool heads here but my goodness some newer posters react to aviation news about an airline maybe selling a plane like i was selling my grandmother. Not quite the same thing :) ....

hahas.........you win the internet for the day!

This is Sparta! :D :D :D

this is exactly the point which I am trying to say that there is not enough demand for BA to send in a A380 to KUL, and that's why we see them sending it to our nearest like Changi and not KUL

this is exactly the point which I am trying to say that there is not enough demand for BA to send in a A380 to KUL, and that's why we see them sending it to our nearest like Changi and not KUL

Though D Singh may have been a bit heavy handed. I think he has a good point!

I don't think that demand will go up by much. In Y if EK offers a much cheaper fare on KUL-DXB-LHR Malaysians will lap it up even if it entails a 19 hour(!) transit in Dubai.

Leisure pax won't mind the layover. Land from Europe, take the train to downtown Dubai, oogle at the Burj Khalifa and return for the next leg to KUL. We have Visa free entry and eligibility to use their e-gate

So selling off the A380 PLUS the slot at LHR might be able to help recover some losses.

Edited by Waiping

So from this it would suggest that there maybe a sale and lease back arrangements for at least some of the frames. However I thought the government already kept the planes on its balance sheet and leased them to MAS. Unless things have changed since the last bail out.

So from this it would suggest that there maybe a sale and lease back arrangements for at least some of the frames. However I thought the government already kept the planes on its balance sheet and leased them to MAS. Unless things have changed since the last bail out.

The A380 is all MH's. Hence the large depreciation charge for the past couple of years

The A380 is all MH's. Hence the large depreciation charge for the past couple of years

Really? Thought I read somewhere that the owner is some other company other than MH? :unknw:

Edited by S V Choong

You mean Turus Pesawat Sdn. Bhd. - the MoF SPV for financing purposes?

I think that is the company right? So technically the MH A380s does not belong to MH. They can't sell them and turn them into cash right?

Unless of course the Govt is generous enough, which is not much of a surprise, is it?

Edited by S V Choong

Kenyan and Jet airways B777-300ER for sale. Earliest build 2007. I guess MAS probably could get some good 2nd hand aircraft.

Imo, If they can't get rid of the A380 they have zero interest in acquiring 2nd hand 77W in the market.