MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

BKI Spotting V2

Andi, it was quite normal that wide-bodies land from Rwy 20 instead of 02. got longer runway if from 20. but anyway, sometime they still land from 02, maybe only when low load. :pardon: and may i know how you get those Ramp shots? you got friend work in apron? so good lar... :clapping: :clapping: and thanks a lot for sharing, Andi and Isaac.

Ya, but ALL the flights today landed & took off @ 02 including MH80. Only the 2 KE 744 was given the privilege of 20 landing. That intrigued me. :huh:

Ah, those 'ramp' shots... :D heh heh... actually taken from the MAS admin building. Hanging out at the staff cafeteria with a bunch of 'kakis' who work there. Great view of ramp activities but unable to see runway activities.

why 02 will be shorter than 20?

Runway 02 has a displaced threshold, landing distance available 8202 ft, takeoff run available 9800 counting rom the end. Runway 20 has all 9800 ft available for landing.

Also, landing on 02 you have to do a 180 turn because there is no parallel taxiway. Not easy on a 747.

Plus coming in from the north, runway 20 is a straight in approach.

Ya, but ALL the flights today landed & took off @ 02 including MH80. Only the 2 KE 744 was given the privilege of 20 landing. That intrigued me. :huh:

Ah, those 'ramp' shots... :D heh heh... actually taken from the MAS admin building. Hanging out at the staff cafeteria with a bunch of 'kakis' who work there. Great view of ramp activities but unable to see runway activities.

actually there got 3 20 arrival this morning, first is the first korean 744 then KA061 a A320 B-HSG and finally the second korean 744. and one intercept Alpha 20 departure, a Layang-layang plane, 9M-LLA, the ugly flying pondok.

Runway 02 has a displaced threshold, landing distance available 8202 ft, takeoff run available 9800 counting rom the end. Runway 20 has all 9800 ft available for landing.

Also, landing on 02 you have to do a 180 turn because there is no parallel taxiway. Not easy on a 747.

Plus coming in from the north, runway 20 is a straight in approach.

Thank you Capt for the explanation. Hehe, piano keys..

Issac, how was the snekbox?

Frankly it's much better than i expected (please don't flame me). The sandwich served is really nice and i didn't find it at all inedible like what some people claimed. As a matter of fact, i think LSG Skychef is better at preparing sandwich than any kind of entrée because they really suck at their cooking. Especially on flight MH080 and MH064, which i am a regular flyer on. My only complain is the portion. While i really enjoyed the sandwich prepared by MAS Catering KKIA (outsourced to Gardenia) and LSG Skychef KLIA, i will still vote against this snackbox because i don't think it is worth the air fare i am paying. MAS air fare nowadays is expensive and a beautifully designed snackbox filled with sandwich and apple is all i get ? I have no doubt those people at MAS must be on ecstasy.

One more thing, i have seen the snackbox myself and i wondered how much exactly MAS is paying for the box. If they really want to save money they should just serve the foods on tray. Besides, that way it is better to the environment.

Edited by Isaac

Rest of my pics from yesterday (18Apr)

dsc00708.jpg

Two blue tails showing. Yeah, the approaching AK was distracting ! :)

dsc00711.jpg

Catch up with you back at ICN later

dsc00714.jpg

Jln Selangor still my favorite spot

dsc00719.jpg

Only managed a half decent shot whilst she back tracked. The touch down pic is a write off

dsc00723.jpg

She decided to buzz off as well. Followed by the Dragonair - only pic I got is also a write off !

dsc00726.jpg

We get plenty enough of these here to practice with :)

Sorry the quality of pics cannot be anywhere near that of our resident pros here - still having problem fiddling with the controls of my cybershot even !

A couple of clips (edited) from yesterday as well - it's the first time I'm uploading and pasting movie clips. So, apologies in advance if this messes up :pardon:

ke 744 departing bki

mh 772 departing bki

Edited by BC Tam

Thanks for the compliments, but if we are to call a spade a spade, 'wonderful' they are not (I can't even make out the registrations myself) ! :)

The birds were here apparently to pick up a whole lot of Korean insurance agents home, presumably on some incentive trip programme

Isaac - how was the situation like inside T1 that morning ? With all the on going construction works and the whole gaggle of birds (can't recall when BKI has had to deal with three heavies at one go) at gate, facilities could possibly be a bit overburdened ?

B C,

Wow, 2 KE 747's in one picture and BKI somemore... :drinks:

It seems you're not moving along with the aircraft, as background clear and aircraft blurred :nea:

KK airport is really changing; hopefully the viewing/spotting spots will remain as good as before ? :huh:

Isn't it about time to start a BKI spotting V3 topic ?; this one already 39 pages and over 21000 views :o

It seems you're not moving along with the aircraft, as background clear and aircraft blurred :nea:

Point noted, but movement of camera somewhat restricted by chain-link fence !! :D

Plus, I believe I messed up on some setting (had 'face detection' on or something :pardon: )

Clips of KE birds at BKI taken what, a couple of years back ? The abandoned telephone stump was still there and Jln Selangor spot still intact !

ke @bki

Sorry, very very blur :pardon:

2440595200_9aabe565df_o.jpg

New KKIA control tower with Mt Kinabalu at background.

2439767407_daa89bc836_o.jpg

Old KKIA terminal with Mt Kinabalu at background.

2440594702_7dcd96523f_o.jpg

Old KKIA terminal.

Lee,

Picture of new KKIA tower with Gunung Kinabalu = awesome !!! :drinks:

2440595034_42337e4eb8_o.jpg

MH B734 rolling past new KKIA terminal.

2440594246_bd0ac3791b_o.jpg

MH B734 rolling past old KKIA terminal.

2439766965_20170c945d_o.jpg

Distant view of new KKIA terminal.

2440593730_97a0ee3d02_o.jpg

View of old and new KKIA terminals.

Thank you and happy viewing.

Lee,

Picture of new KKIA tower with Gunung Kinabalu = awesome !!! :drinks:

Desmond C , Pieter C

Appreciate your kind comments.

Just starting my learning curve.

leejauhi

Wah, thank you thank you !! :drinks:

If you have access, please let us have a sneak peek at what interior of new T1 under construction looks like now ? Please ? :)

Those pics are superb...with mount Kinabalu and Crocker range being the backdrop, KKIA sure be great airport...

and when the entire new section be opened to the public really?... :rolleyes:

Edited by Alif A. F.

oh no........ you break the virgin of darkforce at BKI.... :rofl: jkjk... :p thanks for sharing, Lee. did you mind me to ask you few question? i still wondering how you make the Mt. Kinabalu in the background of the KKIA old ATC tower? from my experience, it was quite hard to include it in one frame and so near lagi. :p second is mind to tell me how you access the area that you take the Triple shots? :D third is, when you want come spotting with us? :rofl: