MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Li Ren

MAS new planes (fact vs. rumor)

Dear all,I m here to share something with you all regarding MAS Airlines.....

Fact:

1. Most of the MAS 737-400 are already sold to the Bank of Utah, USA.

2. MAS is going to replace the 737-400 with the -800 series OR airbus A320 in 2 years time.

3. Penarbangan Malaysia bhd (PMB) is in queue for the Airbus A380.

Go to Airbus delivery page > select Asia-Pacific > select PMB. Total is 6.

4. PMB leases aircraft to MAS.

5. MAS wants to cancel the airbus A380. Click here to read more

6. MAS has the A380 simulator.

Rumor (most likely):

1. I spoke with someone regarding MAS’ future plans to replace the 737 fleet and he said he knew someone in PMB. They guy from PMB said that they are definitely getting the 737-800 to replace the current 737-400 (in service for about 15 years). They are also replacing all the current Airbus with the 737-900 (?).

See also: news

How is PMB going to get slots for the -800 or -900 series? Isn’t it fully booked until at least 2009? They are getting the planes from ILFC (International Lease Finance Corporation).

ILFC (International Lease Finance Corporation)ILFC is owned by U.S. insurance giant AIG, and is run by Steven F. Udvar-Hazy, who founded the company in 1973. At the beginning of 2005, ILFC had an inventory of 824 aircraft (per AvSoft/The Wall Street Journal.) According to Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine (August 6, 2007) as of August 2007, ILFC had an inventory of over 900 aircraft valued at more than $48 billion. ILFC is the largest customer of both Boeing and Airbus.

2. MAS is getting the 787 Dreamliner.

3. MAS is gonna scrap of the 747 fleet (probably converting it into cargo)

4. MAS is negotiating to cancel the A380 for the A350.

Rumor (unlikely):

1. MAS might buy Airbus from Air Aisa since Air Asia bought some 50 single-aisle A320 series planes from Airbus.

The story about MH replacing fleet goes on and on and on and on on on and on.

I dun like any of the rumors, stupid if they operate both 787 and 350. Going to replace the 734 with 738, why bother buying 320 from AK then?

Edited by Seth K

The story about MH replacing fleet goes on and on and on and on on on and on.

I dun like any of the rumors, stupid if they operate both 787 and 350. Going to replace the 734 with 738, why bother buying 320 from AK then?

If you think operating both the 787 and A350 is stupid, then count SQ, VN & a few others as being stupid too. In fact, BA may join your stupid list if it decides to order the A350 sometime next year, in addition to its recent 787 order.

The 738 vs A320 is either/or, not both.

....regarding MAS Airlines.....

Just to be pedantic again. MAS - Malaysia Airlines System in itself is already an airline. ;) Therefore the three letters "MAS" itself is already quite enough to describe the airline.

Edited by S V Choong

replace the a330s with a 739?... doesnt sound like a good idea.

On the contrary, perhaps would be a good idea as the 739 has good capacity (excluding freight volume) for those medium haul low density routes like Bangalore, Hyderabad, and perhaps stations like Amritsar, Calcutta, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, etc etc.

On the other hand, they would have to boost the widebody fleet with more 777s or the order for 787s. I reckon they should go for the 739ER! excellent aircraft. Can be used and filled as a second daily into a place like PER anyday.

Actually... For me both fact and rumour makes nothing difference. Things has been going on and on for a very long time and yet we can't see anything done by MAS. To be very honest, I won't even be surprised if they are going to remain all their B734, this is MAS's way of doing things mah... Going towards LCC...

Just to be pedantic again. MAS - Malaysia Airlines System in itself is already an airline. ;) Therefore the three letters "MAS" itself is already quite enough to describe the airline.

Being xtra pedantic, the legal entity is actually "Malaysian Airlines System Bhd", with an "n" at the end of M'sia. The trade name is just "Malaysia Airlines".

I prefer to fly dual-aisle Airbus A330s then a single aisle B737s. Safer. :p

The only reason they will get the 787 together with A350XWB, providing the latter is the -1000 series. There is not capacity overlap says if they are getting the 787-9 and the XWB-1000. the A350 at 350+ seats suits MAS for their low load 744 route while those high load one will be cater by the A380.

No, they aren't stupid if they do this :) My 2 cent

Being xtra pedantic, the legal entity is actually "Malaysian Airlines System Bhd", with an "n" at the end of M'sia. The trade name is just "Malaysia Airlines".

Yeah how could I miss that Mushrif, "Malaysian" ;)

The only reason they will get the 787 together with A350XWB, providing the latter is the -1000 series. There is not capacity overlap says if they are getting the 787-9 and the XWB-1000. the A350 at 350+ seats suits MAS for their low load 744 route while those high load one will be cater by the A380.

No, they aren't stupid if they do this :) My 2 cent

The fact that MAS even bought A380 is stupid enough already. MAS doesn't need the excess capacity of A380, it is just part of Malaysian ambition to have the biggest and greatest at the taxpayers expense. It is possible that MAS will take both A350 and 787, as I believe that A350 is more suited to replace B744 and B777, while 787 is the replacement for A330.

If I become MAS' CEO I would choose these aircrafts:

- A350: Long Haul High Density - LHR, SYD, MEL, etc

- 787: Long Haul Low Density, Medium/Short Haul High Density: BKK, HKG, PER, EWR, CGK, BOM, etc

- A320/B738: Domestic/Short Haul - SUB, DPS, PEN, etc

I remember a report in a local press, quoting Idris Jala as saying that in the future, MAS will operate only 3 type of aircraft, namely the A380, A350/B787 class, and B737/A320 class.

Anyway, if true, sad to see the B747-400 being phased out. Love em.

Which aircraft is best suited for MH is very much depending on the business model.

Until PMB and MH clearly know where MH is heading, which business model to adopt, whether to converge to LCC, position itself between legacy and LCC, etc, it is unlikely that MH can select the best suited aircrafts.

It is likely that MH domestic service will be spin off to FireFly or/and Maswings in a few years time to compete with AK. MH ‘original’ will be left with long hauls.

At the moment, MH management is inexperience to handle competition from AKX on long haul. Which direction they are going to take is still debateable.

As MH international services haven’t been profitable and may need to restrict itself to operate two aircrafts model like 788 and A350X/A380.

:drinks:

If I become MAS' CEO I would choose these aircrafts:

- A350: Long Haul High Density - LHR, SYD, MEL, etc

- 787: Long Haul Low Density, Medium/Short Haul High Density: BKK, HKG, PER, EWR, CGK, BOM, etc

- A320/B738: Domestic/Short Haul - SUB, DPS, PEN, etc

Where's AMS ? :huh:

This daily flight is full to the brim in both C/Y almost daily !!! :good:

Would love to see 2 types here, both the A350 & 787 :pardon:

Thta's sounds interesting and it adds an comfort to most of MWingers here if MAS is to choose B738 over the A320s, but i dont think the B737-900 is the perfect substitutions for A330s. Even the B787 is a smaller aircraft comparable to the A330s.

i can only think of one reason why they need the a380, for mekkah flights?

I do agreed...that's probably the only reason that the A380s is fully utilised.

This daily flight is full to the brim in both C/Y almost daily !!! :good:

MAS should put 2x daily 772 flights to AMS instead of just 1x daily 744.

Don't think so. MAS A380 won't be a high density aircraft, just like their current 744.

If so, they can lease it from somewhere else when the season come instead if buying one... or more in MH case...

Naah... it's the boleh land thingy...

I remember the sale of the planes. Prior to that I read an article that PMB wanted to sell the planes as they are fast losing their residual value. Bluntly put... the planes are OLD!

From the site that offered by adrianqcs, the A380's color is there, is this the final c/s that the A380 will have?

Here

Sign in to follow this