MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAB Cabin Crew Reduction on All Flights

Following MH's unveiling of their new snackbox service with a note 'more destinations to follow suit in 2008', it looks like the company can get rid of more cabin staff. Hooray to cost saving!

Simpler meals (the boxes) thus less time to serve, therefore, less crew. yup, make sense to me....

My friend, who first alerted me about the 'snackbox rumour', confirmed that MH has reduced cabin staff to only 4. His text messages to me, which I just received:

"734s skrg with 4 crews. Yesterday (28 September 2007) kelam kabut sgt especially KCH-SBW. Crew sampai lupa bg kek buka puasa & 2nd crew on EY serving from row 27 & bkn lg row 16."

So, can we conclude that the reducing of cabin staff from 5 to 4 is not only for routes effected with the snackbox (BKK, RGN, SGN, BKI, KCH, MYY), but also throughout the entire B734s network (SBW in this case)? Evident is here.

What about domestic sectors done by the A330's and 777's (ie KUL/KCH vv and KUL/BKI vv I suppose) ? Snackboxes or meals ?

Then you have the domestic legs of say TPE/BKI/KUL or NRT/BKI/KUL. Though the domestic sector is 2.5hrs, the whole flight is certainly >4hrs. How then ?

:)

What about domestic sectors done by the A330's and 777's (ie KUL/KCH vv and KUL/BKI vv I suppose) ? Snackboxes or meals ?

Then you have the domestic legs of say TPE/BKI/KUL or NRT/BKI/KUL. Though the domestic sector is 2.5hrs, the whole flight is certainly >4hrs. How then ?

:)

i think you can refer the post about snackbox, there is a list of flights affected.

i think you can refer the post about snackbox, there is a list of flights affected.

Thanks, I'm aware of that post.

You will notice the list includes flights by A330's too - any plans to reduce cabin staff on those flights.

Also, I believe that list is only the initial bit, more flights to be 'converted' in time to come. So, any guesses as to the fate of those mixed domestic/international flights ?

I suspect something must have been gone fishy here. The cost cutting measure has failed to look into the staff morale and the sattisfaction issues. MH management has been ignorant on such issues which i believe will leads to a a further deteriorartion of the inflight service and staff turnover. My friend of mine has told me that the staff turnover is huge in view of the company fails to take care of the staff's welfare especially with the recent measure taken by MH. By removing the inflight meals with snack box is already a drastic fall in the inflight service. I believe such measure correlates to the snack box issue since they no longer have to use the meals tray. Failing to take into the considerations of the passengers safety will of course affect MH rating also in the long term.

Just arrived in KUA. Cabin crew still 5. Asked an FA and he said they tried 4 crew recently but found some 'difficulties', thus the 4 crew thing is at the moment not on yet. KIV.

I remembered those days in the early 90s, there use to be 6 FAs on board and now reduced to 5 and again soon 4. I wonder if someday they will just use a self service on board. MAS Union is definitely powerless to say anything, i suppose.

that might cause them trouble in the future,as for minimum amount cabin crew required on the 737 is 4.imagine one goes down and we have delays after that.MAS is seriously making wonders now.

that might cause them trouble in the future,as for minimum amount cabin crew required on the 737 is 4.imagine one goes down and we have delays after that.MAS is seriously making wonders now.

I think that the regulatory minimum makes allowances for such situations, when 1 or more cabin crew member might be incapacitated. As Radzi mentioned earlier, some airlines choose to have extra cabin crew members for no reason other than service.

The current management is so keen of applying the LCC model on MH...however, legacy carrier is legacy carrier, LCC is LCC, and never the twain shall meet!

MH management experiencing some megalomaniac phase where the 'can do' mantra is applied to just every process. Except feedback of customer satisfaction!

The cost cutting measure has failed to look into the staff morale and the sattisfaction issues. MH management has been ignorant on such issues which i believe will leads to a a further deteriorartion of the inflight service and staff turnover.

A friend of mine, usually flying AMS-SGN via SIN on SQ, tried MH this year via KUL and was not impressed at all :blink: :nea:

"Small and lousy meal and no 'snack service' during the night-run AMS-KUL and KUL-AMS"; besides, staff were not friendly and a tit-bit "chauvinistic" according to him (not on the KUL-SGN-KUL flights, tho)...

So, he told me, next time it's SQ again (besides, they're cheaper when booked early) :o

Anyhow, I got my August 2007 Going Places issue thru him :yahoo:

Thanks, I'm aware of that post.

You will notice the list includes flights by A330's too - any plans to reduce cabin staff on those flights.

Also, I believe that list is only the initial bit, more flights to be 'converted' in time to come. So, any guesses as to the fate of those mixed domestic/international flights ?

I think the flights operated by the A330s will not affected (for the time being, considering B772s have seen cut). But if MH sees that it can pull a few from the cabin, they will proceed with it.

As for the mixed domestic/international flights, I think it won't be effected because the second meal will be served after the flight leave BKI (no other airports that I can think of).

4 hours is just tooo long. 2 hours is understandable, 4 hours, especially flight during lunch hour....no no

mas have made a huge mistake. I have emailed them my views as i find these stupid short term measures ridiculous. they are sacrificing long term gains for quick profits (probably for the duration of IJ's reign in MH). I don't really think he cares what will happen when he leaves - as long as he leaves when MH is profitable.

anyways - i'm coming home for a ten day break - leaving AMS 2100 on 13rd october arriving KUL 14th october 1440 (KL809) (flight is HUY-AMS-KUL). would like to meet you guys for spotting sometime in the week. if there is anyone spotting on the 14th don't forget to take photos of Pieter's pride! we'll see if KL is better than MH in terms of inflight services. might even do a trip report!

...leaving AMS 2100 on 13rd october arriving KUL 14th october 1440 (KL809)...

Raya on the plane, are you? sorry to hear...

...might even do a trip report!...

Please do. to compare maa.. hehe...

Sorry went ot...

leaving AMS 2100 on 13rd october arriving KUL 14th october 1440 (KL809) (flight is HUY-AMS-KUL). would like to meet you guys for spotting sometime in the week. if there is anyone spotting on the 14th don't forget to take photos of Pieter's pride! we'll see if KL is better than MH in terms of inflight services. might even do a trip report!

Yes, please, do share a TR here...would be nice to see a 'neutral' view of both KLC and KLM at this forum :pardon:

See your PM, Izanee...

Any more real experience on flights with 4 cabin staff to share? I wonder whether the Muslim cabin staff can cope with the workloads or not on those flights during this fasting month.

Went to KUL on MH2663 (17/10/07). The 734 had 5 cabin crew as well. With full hot meal served on my flight. I got an Omelette (main course), a bread, fruits and a packet of pink guava juice.

Wow got bread?

Thats not too bad. What happened to the snackboxes?

Because MH2663 is from TWU to KUL, transitting in BKI. Hence no STUPID snackbox for my flight. Thank god !

Because MH2663 is from TWU to KUL, transitting in BKI. Hence no STUPID snackbox for my flight. Thank god !

Ok MH2663 is NOT involved at this time. Noted. Hehhehe.