MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H C Chai

Return of Turboprop operations in KCH

So you agree with Rozhan ? :o

;)

So OK, now that Radzi and HC Chai have clarified that F50 services are not considered RAS, then I suppose it is fair. Hope that translates to their accounting books as well when requests for subsidies are made. Maybe the non-RAS routes are candidates for 'Boutique' or 'Community' airline FireFly as I think it fits the description MAS makes of FY. It would clearly separate what is profit-driven, and what is gov-subsidised.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...&sec=nation

MASWings expands link

MIRI: MASWings will operate an extra 193 flights per week across Sarawak and Sabah when it takes over rural air services in the two states from Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) on Oct 1.

Of these, 113 flights per week will be for destinations served by the 50-seater Fokker50 aircraft, while the remaining 80 flights would be in sectors serviced by the 19-seater Twin Otters.

Among the sectors in Sarawak and Sabah that will benefit are Miri-Limbang (from 14 flights weekly to 21), Miri-Bintulu (seven to 21), Miri-Sibu (seven to 28), and Kuching-Bintulu, Kuching-Sibu, Kota Kinabalu-Sandakan and Sandakan-Tawau.

MASWings, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), will also operate flights in sectors not flown by FAX now, such as Kota Kinabalu-Miri and Kota Kinabalu-Bintulu.

Announcing this yesterday, MASWings managing director Dr Amin Khan said the airline wanted to resolve the air connectivity woes in the two states by increasing flights frequency, improving timing, and also efficiency.

With that in mind, he announced that MASWings would spend RM40mil to repair and restore the current fleet of FAX aircraft.

MASWings would also replace the entire fleet of Fokkers by 2009 and upgrade the Twin Otters by 2011, he said, adding that other measures included absorbing as many FAX staff as possible.

Dr Amin said a special management team would be created to buy new aircraft, adding that the plan was to acquire 10 new ATR72 planes (70-seater capacity each) by 2009 and five new Twin Otters 400 aircraft by 2011.

“Meanwhile, we will have to spend RM40mil to restore the FAX aircraft (seven Fokkers and five Twin Otters 300 series) to good condition. We hope to get this done by December.

“Starting three weeks ago, MAS has taken over the maintenance of all FAX aircraft. We will discuss with the Government on how to foot the RM40mil bill,” he told a press conference here.

Dr Amin said MASWings would use MAS offices and facilities to handle flight bookings.

He said MASWings would also review fares for specific sectors such as Miri-Sibu. MASWings is now accepting bookings for seats after Oct 1 (call centre 1-300-88-3000).

10x ATR-72 in 2009

5x DHC-6 Twin Otters in 2011

The new Twin Otter 400 series will be manufactured by viking air, no more by de-havilland and it increased pax capacity by 1, means 20 pax instead of 19. It also uses PT6-34/35.

MASWings, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), will also operate flights in sectors not flown by FAX now, such as Kota Kinabalu-Miri and Kota Kinabalu-Bintulu.

Go check FAX's website now and see whether they are flying from BKI to BTU or not before making such a statement bro... MASWing isn't improving in this route anyway...

I think they are now starting to blame anything to FAX, yeah everyone know they were not performing well but people are not stupid, don't simply blame others with weak statement, I do beleive more blaming will come ahead...

Go check FAX's website now and see whether they are flying from BKI to BTU or not before making such a statement bro... MASWing isn't improving in this route anyway...

Easy there, Chan. By the way, I wasn't the writer of the above statement, so don't quote me on it ;) It was reported on The Star.

Edited by S V Choong

The new Twin Otter 400 series will be manufactured by viking air, .....

It begs the question - is it being offered to the market yet ? ie. is the intended manufacturer even accepting firm orders yet ? As in 'are we sure the new birds will be built' ?

On gosh ! :rolleyes:

The new Twin Otter 400 series will be manufactured by viking air, no more by de-havilland and it increased pax capacity by 1, means 20 pax instead of 19. It also uses PT6-34/35.

And 20 pax means the requirement for one cabin crew if I'm not mistaken. That's why there are so many 19 seaters around.

And 20 pax means the requirement for one cabin crew if I'm not mistaken. That's why there are so many 19 seaters around.

I actually thought that Twin otters are not in production....

Haha, i dont think the twin otter can accomodate a cabin crew on board since the ceiling is rather low. I understand that passengers are not allowed stand up during flight too.

Haha, i dont think the twin otter can accomodate a cabin crew on board since the ceiling is rather low. I understand that passengers are not allowed stand up during flight too.

Not allowed to stand up? So I guess there is no loo on the plane then? What happen if someone gets a little bit desperate during flight? :p

Absolutely no loo on board. One must do one's 'business' before boarding. But flights are short anyway, although may be a bit scary during turbulence.

I had an experience with earlier version of DHC Dash 8 in NZ when I flew from Wellington to Christchurch in 2002 on Origin Pacific airways (now defunct). They didn't have a single toilet in the plane and I was told I could go when the plane is on the ground...... I am glad I didn't wet my pants during the 1 hour flight..... Now you know why I dislike the Dash 8 :lol: At least with ATR-72 they still have a loo onboard and I know this from my Christchurch to Queenstown flight on an ATR-72. One the F-27 and F-50s too loos are onboard.

Edited by S V Choong

I remember once I watched a travel program (Globe Trekker I think) and there seemed to be one stewardess in the Royal Nepal DHT. Not sure any food/drinks served or not but I remember passengers were given ear-buds before takeoff :)

I had an experience with earlier version of DHC Dash 8 in NZ when I flew from Wellington to Christchurch in 2002 on Origin Pacific airways (now defunct). They didn't have a single toilet in the plane and I was told I could go when the plane is on the ground...... I am glad I didn't wet my pants during the 1 hour flight..... Now you know why I dislike the Dash 8 :lol: At least with ATR-72 they still have a loo onboard and I know this from my Christchurch to Queenstown flight on an ATR-72. One the F-27 and F-50s too loos are onboard.

Actually the Dash-8-400Q comes with a complete redesigned cabin. It has better storage area and wider seat (on par with 737). A lavotory is also standard on all Dash-8-400Q.

Check these out !

PICTURE A

PICTURE B

PICTURE C

PICTURE D

PICTURE E

Edited by Isaac

If i'm not mistaken,Doesn't De Havilland Canada is now taken over by Bombardier?

About the Twin Otter 400 series,is there any infos about it?

Easy there, Chan. By the way, I wasn't the writer of the above statement, so don't quote me on it ;) It was reported on The Star.

Oops, I didn't meant quote you. Hehe... Sorry...

A bit off topic,last Sunday there was an interview for FAX pilots who wish to join AK,also there was a SIM cx carried out for both Capts as well as FOs,heard that only 1 of the Capts did ok ,others were not up to standard,so most probably theyll start from RHS on the A320.

A bit off topic,last Sunday there was an interview for FAX pilots who wish to join AK,also there was a SIM cx carried out for both Capts as well as FOs,heard that only 1 of the Capts did ok ,others were not up to standard,so most probably theyll start from RHS on the A320.

Just wonder how many ex-MH who took MSS to join FAX; are they now joining AK or continue with MASWings?I know some could've command the B737 or bigger but they want to stay in KCH / MYY / BKI instead so they opt to join FAX back then.

Just wonder how many ex-MH who took MSS to join FAX; are they now joining AK or continue with MASWings?I know some could've command the B737 or bigger but they want to stay in KCH / MYY / BKI instead so they opt to join FAX back then.

Most opted to join AK instead of taking the MASWings offer so that enable to fly jet aircraft.Once conversion to A320 is complete will be posted to either in BKI or KCH hubs,depending on their hub options.

I actually thought that Twin otters are not in production....
Edwin,Take a look at this link for more information :pardon: http://www.vikingair.com/content2.aspx?id=276
Absolutely no loo on board. One must do one's 'business' before boarding. But flights are short anyway, although may be a bit scary during turbulence.
Rozhan, my two stretches last June were both slightly over 1 hour (airtime; MYY-MKM-KCH), so if you are in great need..................that's a pretty long time :rofl:
A lavotory is also standard on all Dash-8-400Q.
Believe S V meant the -100/200 series :pardon: