MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H C Chai

Return of Turboprop operations in KCH

Hi guys

Found this on amadeus.net, quite interesting. Not sure how accurate this is, but I believe amadeus is a fairly trustable website. Looks like folks from Kuching will be seeing some turboprops back in action this October ;)

KCH-BTU

MH3384

STD 1625

STA 1725

A/C F50

KCH-SBW

MH3408

STD 1910

STA 1955

A/C F50

MH3408 also continues to MYY, leaving SBW 2015 arriving MYY 2110

These flights are also shown as "operated by another airline". It doesn't mention the airline's name but I guess it would be MASWing? Maybe someone can clarify... hope I am not confusing anyone here :huh:

Btw does MASWing has its own website?

MASWing will use the "Malaysian 3xxx" callsign. Just like the good old days before being taken over by FauxAir.

Edited by Radzi

Chai, i think the data in amadeus.net never updated,

KCH-BTU

MH3384

STD 1625

STA 1725

A/C F50

KCH-SBW

MH3408

STD 1910

STA 1955

A/C F50

u can try PEN-LGK, still not available.

so the conclusion, this website never update since before RAS

Mr Radzi, can u explain this FauxAir. what the mean?????

sorry maa my language is bad... but i will try to improve my lang.

Its a remark directed at FlyAsianExpress aka FAX, which hasn't been doing a stellar job connecting rural Sabah and Sarawak much to the displeasure of the local government.

MAS already has MASWing's schedule in its website under online timetable, although the online booking pulldown menu has yet to include RAS destinations. But MAS' announcement recently mentioned that bookings can already be made at MAS ticket offices. Look around.

FAX uses the callsign "Fax Air". Sounds very much Faux Air to me, in callsign as well as in operation.

MAS already has MASWing's schedule in its website under online timetable, although the online booking pulldown menu has yet to include RAS destinations. But MAS' announcement recently mentioned that bookings can already be made at MAS ticket offices. Look around.

Hello Rozhan, I can't view the timetable in route BTU-BKI... Can you please check for me if you can check too? Hehee... Anyone else know about the time for the route? Also SBU-BKI... Hehe...

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: The route map is out anyway...

Edited by Chan CS

I can't view the timetable in route BTU-BKI...

Me too...

But based on amadeus there are two daily flights between SBW and BKI. Personally I dont think this is the 'old information' as before the route rationalisation, MH operated the Fokker flights under MH2xxx. The MH3xxx only applies to RAS operated by the Twin Otter.

MH3182

STD 1130

STA 1305

A/C F50

Nonstop

MH3240

STD 0710

STA 0930

A/C F50

1 stop via BTU

wow I didn't know it takes that long to fly a turboprop from SBW to BKI. The journey time is even longer than KCH-BKI on a 737 ;)

Edited by H C Chai

Hey Chai, how about the BTU-BKI? Hehe... Thanks for your info anyway!!

But the SBW time seems weird. Both daily flight are in morning.

But the SBW time seems weird. Both daily flight are in morning.

I hope it's not an indication we're reverting to pre-rationalisation status (which by default means we were irrational to start with) :blink:

I hope it's not an indication we're reverting to pre-rationalisation status (which by default means we were irrational to start with) blink.gif

Oh no, not again.......no thanks....

MH 3240 makes a stop in Bintulu it seems.

Edited by S V Choong

Whoops. Looks like I got it wrong. Apologies captain.

No, you were right all along.

Can what Chan? For MAS Wings flights, make sure it is on or after 1 October, as that is when MAS said it will take over RAS from FAX. Below is what I extracted from MAS online schedule... a simple copy and paste for a one way flight on 21 Oct.

Bintulu - Kota Kinabalu Sun 21 Oct 2007

DEPARTS ARRIVES FLIGHT STOPS VIA AIRCRAFT ELAPSED TIME FREQUENCY

08:15am 09:30am MH3240 Non-Stop F50 01h15m Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

Operated by Malaysia Airlines Operated by another airline

Edited by Rozhan

I think the timetable is only available for October, not for Nov and Dec.

And I'm so disappointed with MAS hotline... I waited for half hour but they are still "busy"! Even slower than their competitor, AirAsia!!!

My dad had secured a return ticket for my younger brother for the upcoming Hari Raya festival.Better check it out if you're planning to get onboard the MASWings Fokkers.

Glad to hear that the F50 is returning to KCH :lol:

Speaking of RAS, the public been made to understand that this gov-subsidised service is supposed to serve the interiors of Sabah and Sarawak, which is of course good for the people living there to travel, and for tourism activities. I'm all for it.

However some routes appear to link major cities and not-too-rural towns. Why can't just the regular air services like AK or MH connect these cities and towns when the passengers are relatively well-off than farmers and villagers in the rural areas? RAS connecting Bintulu (a town well known for its LNG activities) and BKI (of course the state capital of Sabah) may have passengers in the oil and gas industry as passengers. Is it fair for the tax-payers to subsidise these financially well-off passengers for their business and liesure travels? Personally I feel the RAS is not very efficient in servicing to market it was intended for.

Speaking of RAS, the public been made to understand that this gov-subsidised service is supposed to serve the interiors of Sabah and Sarawak, which is of course good for the people living there to travel, and for tourism activities. I'm all for it.

However some routes appear to link major cities and not-too-rural towns. Why can't just the regular air services like AK or MH connect these cities and towns when the passengers are relatively well-off than farmers and villagers in the rural areas? RAS connecting Bintulu (a town well known for its LNG activities) and BKI (of course the state capital of Sabah) may have passengers in the oil and gas industry as passengers. Is it fair for the tax-payers to subsidise these financially well-off passengers for their business and liesure travels? Personally I feel the RAS is not very efficient in servicing to market it was intended for.

I don't disagree ;)

However it seems to me the general public has been given the impression that all the flights operated by FAX are classified RAS.

RAS refers to flights operated by the DHT-6 Twin otters, connecting the rural parts of Sarawak and Sabah to larger cities/towns such as BKI and MYY. The routes operated by F50's such as BTU-BKI, SBW-MYY are never classified as RAS (at least prior to route rationalisation), these are called the non-trunk routes. The only problem is that the market for these non-trunk routes are too small to be operated by MH's 734 or AK's 733/320... :(

East Malaysia needs smaller planes to link all the cities/towns together. We do not have a large population, but look at our size, Sarawak itself is already bigger than the whole Peninsular Malaysia! And travelling by road is slow and painful...

I don't disagree ;)

So you agree with Rozhan ? :o

During pre- Faux Air days, RAS refers to the Twin Otter services only.

I think it will be the same with MASWings.

Sarawak itself is already bigger than the whole Peninsular Malaysia! And travelling by road is slow and painful...

Just to be pedantic again. Is Sarawak really larger than the Peninsular? I believe with Sabah, the East is definitely larger, but don't know about Sarawak herself.

Just to be pedantic again. Is Sarawak really larger than the Peninsular? I believe with Sabah, the East is definitely larger, but don't know about Sarawak herself.

Opps, you got me here - having checked the numbers, Sarawak is in fact slightly smaller than Penisular Malaysia :pardon:

Peninsular Malaysia 50,806 sq mi

Sarawak 48,050 sq mi

Sabah 28,725 sq mi

good news for sarawakian and sabahan

MASWings ganti Fokker 50 dengan ATR 72

MIRI 20 Ogos – MASWings Sdn. Bhd., anak syarikat Malaysia Airlines (MAS) yang mengambil alih perkhidmatan udara pedalaman (RAS) dan beberapa laluan domestik di Sabah, Sarawak dan Labuan bermula 1 Oktober ini, dijangka menggantikan pesawat Fokker 50 miliknya ketika ini dengan pesawat Avions de Transport Regional 72 (ATR 72) pada 2009.

Pengarah Urusannya, Dr. Amin Khan berkata, ia merancang membeli 10 pesawat yang mempunyai kapasiti menampung 70 penumpang berbanding 50 bagi Fokker 50.

Ketika bercakap pada sidang akhbar selepas sesi taklimat mengenai operasi MASWings di sini, beliau berkata, syarikat penerbangan itu merancang menggantikan pesawat siri DHC-6-300 Twin Otter ketika ini dengan siri-400 bermula 2011, terutamanya bagi operasi RAS.

Beliau, bagaimanapun tidak mendedahkan jumlah kos bagi pembelian pesawat tersebut.

Beliau berkata, buat permulaannya, MASWings akan beroperasi dengan empat pesawat Fokker 50 dan empat Twin Otter bagi menyediakan kepada rangkaian 23 destinasi dan jumlah tersebut akan ditingkatkan kepada lapan Fokker 50 dan lima Twin Otter pada 1 Disember bagi purata 193 penerbangan seminggu.

Dr. Amin berkata, syarikat akan membelanjakan kira-kira RM40 juta untuk membaiki dan menyenggara pesawat bagi memastikan ia berkeadaan tahan lama.

“Kerja-kerja telah bermula sejak 1 Ogos. Penyenggaraan bukan hanya bagi memastikan keselamatan pesawat untuk terbang tetapi juga memenuhi syarat-syarat yang dikenakan sebelum pengambilalihan (daripada FAX),” katanya.

Sementara itu, Menteri Muda Pembangunan Prasarana dan Komunikasi Sarawak Lee Kim Shin, yang turut menghadiri taklimat tersebut meminta MASWings menyemak semula cadangan struktur tambang syarikat.

“Daripada maklum balas, tambang dikatakan terlalu tinggi dan MASWings perlu mengubahsuai struktur untuk terus kompetitif dan menggalakkan orang awam menggunakan perkhidmatannya,” katanya.

– Bernama