MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Nuri Copter With Six On Board Goes Missing On Flight To Kuantan

So far, I know of only one Nuri crash with a survivor....Ghazali Shafie (an ex-Foreign Minister) in the 1980s somewhere in Pahang area...a massive search/rescue operation was launched because the gov't fear he may be captured by communist guerrillas prior to the peace agreement.

Nope, he crashed in a light aircraft. And it was in Janda Baik, Pahang. The approximate area where the current Nuri goes missing.

On utusan today, Najib says the Nuris will be replaced but not anytime soon because "they can still be used". He's right I suppose, they become unusable only once they crash. ::rolleyes::

Question: what happened to the current executive jet that justifies the A319?

Edited by H Azmal

Aircraft hours are returned to zero when it is overhauled...in military, there is no OLD AIRCRAFT...like they said.... <_>

RMAF do have 2 modern S-70 Black Hawk helicopter but for VIP transport only.

:drinks:

Agree.I've seen the photos of the Black Hawk.

I really hope they are ok, just not found... Hope the chopper landed safely.

The government is saying these Nuri's are still usable. I don't doubt that, since they really still fly a lot, but these old choppers should be backed up with modern technologies as the US Navy, etc. do, or else these choppers are just unsafe as an old motorbike going uphill. They are old, and routine check needs to go more frequent. Aren't the soldiers' lives just as precious as the so-called VIPs! Have Mr. Najib or some other VIP fly in the Nuri one day if

it's safe"... We have enough money and manpower, don't we?

I have been flying Sikorsky S-61 helicopters since 1989 and I always felt very safe in them. They are very well designed and their safety record is very good. I have just departed Brunei where they have been operating S-61Ns for 40 years without any accidents. Like any helicopter, safety is mainly down to how well they are maintained. If the Nuri's have any general safety issues I can assure you it is not because of the design, it WILL be due to maintenance.

Having said all that, the sighting of the helicopter flying low in bad weather in an area where they shouldn't have been make me fear for the worst. Perhaps this pilot wasn't trained/cleared to fly on instruments (i.e. cloud) and was desperately trying to stay visual with the surface?

Have to agree with Steve here: Those S61's are very well designed and are very safe; KLM helicopters, when they had them, never had an issue with them :good:

It's, indeed, how they're maintained and operated.....

On my departure from BKI to MYY, I saw a Nuri parked at T2 (M23-34), and it looked very well maintained, shiny and all; does anyone, which was in missing ? :o

That the ones who were on board may RIP !!!

Pieter... They could simply be still alive as they are not yet located... :p

If they are well, they could have done something to attract searchers' attention. After all, they are military ppl taught on survival skills. But no signs from them for 2-3 days now, so probably they are very ill, otherwise already dead. :pardon:

+++

US Navy Sends Sea Hawk Helicopter To Locate Missing Nuri

GENTING HIGHLANDS, July 15 (Bernama) -- A "Sea Hawk" helicopter of the US Navy Sunday joined the aerial search for the missing RMAF Nuri helicopter and the six airforce crew on board.

It was sent to assist RMAF and Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) aircraft scouring a 30 sq km area around here since the Nuri helicopter went missing on Friday, said RMAF public relations office Mejar Zulkiflee Abdul Latif.

A 450-member ground team set out to look for the US-made Sikorsky S61 on first light today.

However, the search was hampered by thick fog at the Genting Sempah area, he told Bernama.

Zulkiflee said the search area would be widened to Gunung Mengkuang, beyond Genting Highlands, if the missing helicopter was still not located.

Zulkiflee also said the crack VAT 69 commando team, which entered the dense forest and hilly terrain at Genting Sempah, near here, yesterday, is expected to come out today.

The police, soldiers, civil defence personnel, villagers and Orang Asli have also been mobilised in the ground search for signs of the helicopter which disappeared while on a flight to the Gambang Air Base, near Kuantan, from the Sungai Besi RMAF base in Kuala Lumpur.

The missing crew are pilot Kapt Nor Azlan Termuzi, co-pilot Kapt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof, air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

Besides than the VAT 69 Commandos,the PDRM (Royal Malaysian Police) is also attaching the Senoi Praaq Commandos too.

they havent found yet??????????? what laaaaaa........... <_>

It's not easy. I've done many jungle trails, and I realised the thick canopy can even hide a plane. The dark-coloured chopper could easily slide through the canopy, fall to the ground and be hidden. Forever, possibly.

+++

pray for the safety of the pilot and crews..14 crashes from the 30 Nuris delivered..what are our maintainence people doing??

its 3 days already..450 people involved in seach and rescue also still find it difficult..arent the nuris equiped with flare guns,beacons,etc.?

Just wonder, what happened to the ELT? They surely must have at least one ELT on board.

Maybe RMAF pilots should start wearing the Breitling Emergency.

Just wonder, what happened to the ELT? They surely must have at least one ELT on board.

TV3 interview yesterday:The airforce chief mentioned the copter did not carry ELT. Only "pilot activated" equipment available...Deputy PM said they have plans to scrap the Nuri fleet for a new type....your guess is the same as mine...

its 3 days already..450 people involved in seach and rescue also still find it difficult..arent the nuris equiped with flare guns,beacons,etc.?

Sure, if there're crew members to get them working. In this case, I guess there's nobody left.

+++

hehehe. mana ada duit bang nak pakai brietling.

pieter!! = hahaha. how can they afford brietling?

Ground search in jungle is very limited, unless wreckage is located or position for recovery else is a waste of resources.

While RMAF frontline fighters (F-18, Su-30) are all weather capability and SAR is limited to day light operation.

How do they expect pilots to undertake mission at night or high risk sortie? What a moral boosting exercise. :angry: :sorry:

:drinks:

Ground search in jungle is very limited, unless wreckage is located or position for recovery else is a waste of resources.

Very true, in thick jungle/undergrowth, you can't even see beyond a few metres.

+++