MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Nuri Copter With Six On Board Goes Missing On Flight To Kuantan

Condolences to all the deceased crews of the ill-fated Nuri chopper.May Allah S.W.T. will bless their soul and forgive their sins.

Al-Fatihah....

Malaysiakini

Jul 17, 07 3:44pm

All army personnel onboard the Royal Malaysian Air Force Nuri helicopter which went missing last Friday have been killed in the crash.The RMAF today said that those killed onboard were six officers and men.

“There are no survivors,” Major Zulkiflee Abdul Latiff, a spokesman for the RMAF, told AFP.

“All six bodies of the crew members were recovered at the site of the wreckage,” he added.

The wreckage of the Nuri helicopter was found at Gunung Bunga Buah near Genting Highlands today afternoon, said a spokesperson of the Civil Defence Department.

Anyway I've got a better fix for G. Bunga Buah now, which places it here.

gbungabuahrevisedrv6.png

+++

The sad statistics are all here.

+++

July 17, 2007 23:00 PM

Nuri's 18th Crash In 39 Years

KUALA LUMPUR, July 17 (Bernama) -- The Nuri crash on Friday is the 18th for the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) in 39 years of service.

Most of the crashes involving Nuris, said to be among the safest aircrafts in the world were due to bad weather.

The Nuri death tally stands at 95, the worst being that on Nov 14, 1989 when 21 people including 15 Police Field Force members were killed in a crash between Gunung Gerah and Gunung Bilah on the Kelantan-Perak border.

Barely a month later on Dec 18, 1989, 16 army and Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) personnel were killed in a crash near Sungai Lundu in Sarawak.

Those perished include 2nd Division Commanding Officer, Mej Jen Datuk Mustaffa Awang and 3rd Infantry Brigade Commander Brig Jen Datuk Hasbullah Yusoff.

The government bought 40 Nuris or Sikorsky S61 Sea King helicopters in 1968 from US-based Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation to provide logistic support for search and rescue (SAR) operation.

The Sikorskys which saw action in the Vietnam war uses two 15,000 horse-power engines by General Electric can reach a speed of 220 km/hr.

The RMAF wanted to replace the Nuris in Oct 2004 with new helicopters costing between RM76 and RM95 million each under the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) but financial constraints forced it to be deferred to the Tenth Malaysian Plan.

The RMAF has 30 Nuri helicopters involved in various operations.

In Nov last year, the Ministry of Defence signed a RM55.8 million contract with Airod Sdn Bhd to upgrade the choppers.

Chronology of Nuri crashes and near misses since 1969.

April 25, 1969 - First Nuri crash when four RMAF men were killed in Kuching, Sarawak.

March 11, 1972 - Another four men were killed in a crash in Gambang, Pahang.

April 26, 1976 - 11 crew and passengers were killed when a Nuri was brought down by communist fire in Gubir, Kedah.

July 19, 1980 - A Nuri crashed near Ipoh, Perak but 18 people survived.

April 25, 1981 - Two RMAF men were killed and 13 others escaped with injuries when a Nuri crashed near the Kuching Airport in Sarawak.

July 11, 1981 - A Nuri crashed near Batu Melintang, Perak. 11 people survived.

Nov 14, 1989 - 21 people perished in a crash between Gunung Gerah and Gunung Bilah on the Kelantan- Perak border.

Dec 18, 1989 - 16 men were killed in a crash near Sungai Lundu, Sarawak.

Aug 28, 1990 - 9 men training for Merdeka celebration survived an emergency landing near Rawang, Selangor.

Jan 16, 1991 - A Nuri from Sungai Besi to Kluang made an emergency landing in Kampung Parit Zin, Muar, Johor. 12 men cheated death.

June 10, 1991 - 6 men were killed when a Nuri crashed and exploded in Banding, Perak.

July 11, 1991 - 7 men were killed when a Nuri crashed during landing also in Banding, Perak.

Oct 16, 1996 - 2 men were killed when a Nuri crashed in Muka Head, Penang.

March 19, 1997 - 11 RMAF men were killed when two Nuris crashed near Gunung Lumaku, Sipitang in Sabah.

March 5, 2004 - 2 men were killed in a crash in Taman Udara, Butterworth.

March 30, 2004 - 3 pilots survived an emergency landing in Bukit Kalam near Labuan, Sabah.

Aug 15, 2004 - 3 men were killed in a crash at Long Seridan, Sarawak.

July 13, 2007 - 6 RMAF personnel perished when a Nuri crashed at Genting Sempah, Pahang. Their bodies were recovered four days later.

-- BERNAMA

June 10, 1991 - 6 men were killed when a Nuri crashed and exploded in Banding, Perak.

This bring back memories.

Al-Fatihah.

They say it crashed due to bad weather. I clearly remember last Friday was a clear and beautiful day. And the fact that such conclusion has been arrived when the aircraft was found only this afternoon speaks very well of the wisdom of the person concerned.

To the families of the victims. I am so so sorry. My utmost appreciation for them joining RMAF to protect our sovereign.

its time for the nuris to go..she has served well but we cant bear to lose more men just to feed the pocket of a few individuals..i expected a few survivors judging from the newspaper report today..my prayers goes to the family of those involved..

Al-Fatihah

Until the investigation is completed nobody can lay the blame on the weather. Even if no fault is found with the helicopter questions like why did the crew fly into the mountain need to be considered. Was it due to shortcomings in the training system? Was the weather much worse than forecast? Why had they not climbed to clear the high ground?

Blaming an accident purely on bad weather or pilot error often hides underlying problems.

Geoff

I'm surprised Najib said this was due to bad weather. Is he taking us for fools or is he one?

And the no. 1 man says to be patient in this time of grief. I wonder if his executive A319 arrived as rumoured yesterday?

Hi guys

First and foremost, military operation is not same as civilian. Due to tactical and operational needs, their aircraft need to fly more lower, faster and danger than their civilian counterparts. Sometimes a normal military communication flight can be revert to tactical/operational only by a single HF call form home base. The government obviously try to keep the Nuri's fleet by enhancing the avionic system with Doppler, Weather Radar and Radio Altimeter.

---Al-Fatihah---

Pardon my 'bluriness', but the point you're trying to drive home is...?

Edited by H Azmal

Dear Hafizi

I don't mean to insult anybody especially you. As we aware, our beloved DPM last night stated that the government have no plan to decommissioned the Nuri's fleet. These aircraft proved to be a trusty workhorse for the RMAF, the roles varies from Communication Flight, SAR, MEDEVAC, Training etc. which they does not have any substitute to do the same task. The replacement process will cost a lots of money and time. Thats why the avionic system been upgrading to keep these birds in the RMAF inventory for a few years or maybe into next decade. My point is the Air Force aircraft and personnel is always flirt with risk and danger. A new aircraft doesn't mean no air accident/crash. The Air Force Super Puma also went down at Sg. Petani killing all crew onboard.

Lets us hope these accident is never happen in the future as these birds certainly have long way to go.

Regards

LOL, I never did take it as an insult. ;) Difference in opinion is just that - an opinion. Feel free to contradict.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :D All the same I and a host of other people are angry and frustrated that they cannot spare the dough to replace the Nuris but can splurge on new exec jets. The people boarding the Nuris are protecting the country, after all. It is not enough that their pay is peanuts - their life it seems must be made worth so as well. :(

Edited by H Azmal

All that I can offer now is the ummul-kitab to the deceased and may Allah give strength to their families and friends.

** A L - F A T I H A H **

:sorry:

there is absolutely no harm in doing whatsoever test you want. but how many people have been victims to these? history keeps repeating itself without a fullstop anywhere. we're not talking about test robots or something so sophisticated that we don't need the human brain to control them.

i'd say enough is enough. time is moving so fast that there are new inventions coming up daily. we can't still stick to the 50s and 40s technology and sacrifice more lives. i wonder if there were to be a VIP in that copter, what would have been done by now.

My deepest condolence to the families of the victims..

And my greatest respect to the ones who gave their lives for the country..

Hope things change for RMAF in the next few years.

There you go ... suddenly Najib finds the moolah.

+++

July 18, 2007 17:57 PM

Cabinet Nod For Nuri Replacement

KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 (Bernama) -- The cabinet has agreed to replace the fleet of ageing Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Nuri helicopters which has been in service since 1968, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said.

The deputy prime minister, who chaired the weekly cabinet meeting today, said he had informed Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who is currently on leave, and his cabinet colleagues on the need to speed up the replacement programme in the interest of the country.

"And they've given their approval," he told reporters here.

Najib, who is also Defence Minister, said the cabinet agreed that the procurement of the new helicopters be done through international open tender to be called in the next few months.

The cabinet decision was made in the wake of the Nuri helicopter crash at Genting Sempah, near Genting Highlands, on Friday which killed its six airforce crew members.

===

Finally. Sad that as with all things Malaysian, it takes people to die first before any concrete action is taken. Still, betetr late than nevah!

Please correct me if I am wrong. The Nuri is based on the S61 Sikorsky helicopter which is normally called Sea King elsewhere. From its name it is normally used at sea for ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) and SAR (Search and rescue). From what I read only the Malaysian, Danish and Egyptian armed forces use them as troop transporters.

During the Falklands war the British army brought along their Westland Sea King primarily for ASW and SAR. Their troop transport helicopters were the Chinooks. But many of the Chinooks were destroyed by the Argentines leaving the British with no choice but to use the Sea Kings as transporters like what the Malaysian armed forces had been doing. The Brits won the war, didn't they?

Edited by Maarof Kassim

Finally. Sad that as with all things Malaysian, it takes people to die first before any concrete action is taken. Still, betetr late than nevah!

Reminds me of TOMB-STONE TECHNOLOGY!

Yes. Sea Kings. Canadian navy underground wrote a song about it, also griping about the age and frequency with which it went down.

Edited by H Azmal

Nice song, Hafizi. Just wonder what Chretien should be replaced with in our version of the song. :pardon:

BTW, any info on the registration of the ill-fated chopper?

Edited by Radzi

Nice song, Hafizi. Just wonder what Chretien should be replaced with in our version of the song. :pardon:

Does his name begin with an 'N'? :rolleyes:

Al-Fatihah to the decease. It really is a sad news.

And hope the government will purchase the NH-90 for the RMAF widely as rumoured...

Good news, received from The Star sms alert, Nuri will be grounded!

Bad news, In 3 years time.

To me doesn't matter if u upgrade the system. Nuri is too old to be flying.

Why don't we buy DC3 with extended fuel tanks comes with custom glass cockpit for the government. Then i might change my opinion on Nuri.