MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

MAS to look into replacing B737-400s

By FAA regulation; in the event of one engine failure, twin must be able to take off with single engine. Hence, on take off; twin is always over powered by 100% compared with 25% on 4 pots. Therefore 777 is more noisy than A340.

:drinks:

I don't know about engineering calculation but I can guarantee you, during single engine flight, the power available is not even half of both engine...

MAS asks Airbus, Boeing to bid for 55-aircraft deal

By Fauziah Ismail and Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

April 26 2007

AIRFRAME makers Airbus and Boeing Co confirmed that they have been asked to bid for a contract to sell up to 55 single-aisle aircraft to Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS).

The new planes are to replace the national carrier's 39 ageing B737-300s.

should it be -400?

I would prefer A320/321 over 737NG but any new planes is good news for us passengers :)

Malaysia Air Wants To Buy 55 New Planes

April 26, 2007

Malaysia Airlines wants to buy up to 55 narrow-body planes in a deal worth up to USD$4.4 billion to replace its ageing fleet, a newspaper said on Thursday.

The state-controlled airline has asked Boeing and Airbus to submit their proposals by June, the local Business Times said, quoting an Airbus executive and unidentified sources.

It said Airbus was likely to propose either Airbus A320s or A321s while Boeing either 737-800s or 737-900s.

"All I can say right now is that we have received the RFP (request for proposals) from MAS for our single-aisle aircraft about a week ago," Business Times quoted Airbus Chief Operating Officer (customer) John Leahy as telling the paper.

(Reuters)

MH = 55 nos + AK = 100 nos, I wonder does Malaysia really need so many narrow body aircraft.

Anyway, good to hear any potisive development in Malaysian aviation.

MH = 55 nos + AK = 100 nos, I wonder does Malaysia really need so many narrow body aircraft.

Ask again, does Singapore really need that many widebody..... :rolleyes: first of all, it has nothing to do with the country whatsoever.

Edited by Seth K

Why ?

CFM engines power the B737 and is also one of the engines that can be chosen to power the A320

True also CFM engine can be used by both 737s and A320s family. So it is easier. If not mistaken AK is using the CFM engine right?

True also CFM engine can be used by both 737s and A320s family. So it is easier. If not mistaken AK is using the CFM engine right?

They are both powered by CFM engine but still A320 is for A320 and B737 is for B737 coz the engines structure is built to accommodate 737 oval shape engine so the 738 engine won't fit the A320 ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFM_International_CFM56

Read:

CFM56-3 series

CFM56-5B series

CFM56-7 series

Edited by Adrian M

watever plane mas replace..

pls dont replace the 737 with MD o DC!!

i dont like those plane!!

Boeing O airbus is most recomended

Don't worry. If MH is not sourcing the NEW planes from Boeing or Airbus, MH will just get lots of Caravelles or Comets.

MH will just get lots of Caravelles or Comets.

MSA used to use Comet 4s.

maybe can throw in DC-10s back in as well. Hee hee

No lah, Comets and Caravelles not likely to fit current requirements. Some people may still have lingering 'buy British last' sentiment and the French still won't grant MH those additional frequencies into CDG.

Better go Fokker (mix 0f 70 and 100) for the short haul fleet and Convair (the 990, not 880) for medium haul :pardon:

Edited by BC Tam

watever plane mas replace..

pls dont replace the 737 with MD o DC!!

i dont like those plane!!

Boeing O airbus is most recomended

What about Tu-134 or Tu-154?

:drinks:

MSA used to use Comet 4s.

maybe can throw in DC-10s back in as well. Hee hee

Agree with you,Azmal :)

If the DC-10s were thrown back in,if will definately a down memory lane for DC-10 fans :lol:

No lah, Comets and Caravelles not likely to fit current requirements. Some people may still have lingering 'buy British last' sentiment and the French still won't grant MH those additional frequencies into CDG.

Better go Fokker (mix 0f 70 and 100) for the short haul fleet and Convair (the 990, not 880) for medium haul :pardon:

Buy something that will last forever....

DC-3

You try convince Uncle Pieter the Fokkers will not last forever !

Anyway, anything DC appears disqualified from Wilber Tan's selection list. Perhaps the Soviet licence built version may be an acceptable alternative ?

Read today's local chinese newspaperfrom KK here that Boeing has sent in the proposal for MAS to review the Boeing 737-800s and Boeing 737-900ER....Certainly it will be a good news..if such 2 models are picked. On the other hand, the news also reported that Airbus has yet to compensate MAS for the A380s delay.....I wonder what Airbus is planning...perhaps they are cunning and intends to use such chances to convince MAS to consider about the A320s and A350XWB ...so called allowing MAS to get large discount from as a result of such delay..which in in reality discount=compensation which in actual fact no compensation. :angry:

I guess they will turn to Airbus if they offer A320/321 at 50% discount (just like what emirates rumours to get for their XWB) but it is unlikely for an established model :p

Airbus realise that it has lost market shares over Boeing as a result of the A380s delay and over optimistic over the whale jet. In my own opinion, a looser is always hungry and perhaps willing to act irrational which somes into large discount by surprise so as to convince prestige and reputable airlines like MAS to order the A320S and A350XWB. :rolleyes: