MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

MAS to look into replacing B737-400s

from the points of view of a spotter, 737NG is the best. :p :good:

btw Kenneth, what is 737RS? <_>

Good question..i dun know what it exactly means...just got to know it from airliners.net forum, it sounds like the x generation of B737 to me here....haha

If MH can keep up with A380, huge discount will attract buyer! But at long term run..........??

If MAS is looking into replacing its 747, then A380 would be a good buy since its more efficient & has lower operation cost if MAS can fill up the capacity on any of its sector. Plus delay compensation would make it much cheaper than its price tag.

SIA can't wait to dump its 747 due its higher operating cost (compare to new generation plane like 777) & despite delay on A380, they still add more orders.

Actually I would like to see baby buses in MH colours :D hehehe wonder will it look cute so far I know it looks sexy with the blended 738

Actually I would like to see baby buses in MH colours :D hehehe wonder will it look cute so far I know it looks sexy with the blended 738

Choose, between cute and sexy? Which one? 50/50

replacing 737-400 of MAS??

not a bad news indeed..

yap..i prefer 737NG oso

A320?? perhapes dont~!

air asia is replacing thier b to a320 oso....so b different!!

Wondering...whats the purpose of those winglets attached to the 737 NGs?..Are they optional? How come the winglets are rather "tall", unlke those on the 744 or A330s..? Cheers..

Wondering...whats the purpose of those winglets attached to the 737 NGs?..Are they optional? How come the winglets are rather "tall", unlke those on the 744 or A330s..? Cheers..

to enhance the aerodynamic performance and hence efficiency of the wing. Winglets are a method of reducing wing-tip vortices that result from the spanwise flow of air around the wing - This is a source of induced drag and thus an inhibitor to aerodynamic performance.

As a result, winglets improve fuel efficiency also.. albeit marginally. but the savings add up in the end!

Winglets not really help in fuel economy for the operators. Although it reduces vortexs, but it increases weight to the aircraft which will increase fuel consumption. If it helps so much, why didn't the 777 use winglets, right? 777 has the best aerodynamical wing in any other commercial aircraft compared with those with winglets.

Not all 747-400 has winglets. one of the example like JAL 747-400, JA8908, it has no winglets as it only fly short distance, normally winglets will only be effective when the aircraft is flying long haul but increase drags and fuel consumptions in short haul. ^_^

I would prefer the 737NG for MAS ;) ,

The A320s are older than the new 737NGs :pardon:

Yes I particularly like flying on those FBW Airbus. They seem more quiet and comfortable than their direct Boeing competitors. For example the A320 is more pleasant to fly in than the B737s(more quiet and pleasant cabin) or the A340 to the B777s. Has anyone felt the cabin of the B777s being noisy? I certainly have and dread flying on the twin engined beast. I prefer the B744s over the B777s any day!

Having flown both 777 and A340, I found that the 777 cabin always bz with unnecessary sounds...............especially after take off and before landing, no big thou. I would prefer 777 over 747 cuz 747 is getting boring these days......... :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

Winglets not really help in fuel economy for the operators. Although it reduces vortexs, but it increases weight to the aircraft which will increase fuel consumption .....

You do realize you have called into question the professional integrity of those A & B engineers involved in the design as well as the marketing teams preaching about virtues of the winglets ?! :blink: :)

..... 777 has the best aerodynamical wing in any other commercial aircraft compared with those with winglets .....

What do they call the 'wingtip enchancements' they are putting on newer 777 models as well as the 747-8 - just can't recall for now

What do they call the 'wingtip enchancements' they are putting on newer 777 models as well as the 747-8 - just can't recall for now

raked wingtips?

Edited by Walter Sim

Winglets not really help in fuel economy for the operators. Although it reduces vortexs, but it increases weight to the aircraft which will increase fuel consumption. If it helps so much, why didn't the 777 use winglets, right? 777 has the best aerodynamical wing in any other commercial aircraft compared with those with winglets.

Not all 747-400 has winglets. one of the example like JAL 747-400, JA8908, it has no winglets as it only fly short distance, normally winglets will only be effective when the aircraft is flying long haul but increase drags and fuel consumptions in short haul. ^_^

Any extra structure adds weight and increase fuel consumption. However, overall fuel saving from wingtips is about 5%.

There is no dispute that 777 wing design is one of the most efficient and 787 is even better because technology evolved and improved.

There are many schools of thought in engineering. There isn’t an absolute right or wrong in engineering design e.g. V6 or straight 6 engine is better? Do you squeeze 100% or 105% of juice from your wing? Which is better?

It is believe winglet can improve 777 fuel consumption by about 5 to 6% and Boeing is holding this back til later part of the life cycle i.e. 777NG. So one can always argue Boeing is not giving 105% to customers.

:drinks:

Having flown both 777 and A340, I found that the 777 cabin always bz with unnecessary sounds...............especially after take off and before landing, no big thou. I would prefer 777 over 747 cuz 747 is getting boring these days......... :pardon:

By FAA regulation; in the event of one engine failure, twin must be able to take off with single engine. Hence, on take off; twin is always over powered by 100% compared with 25% on 4 pots. Therefore 777 is more noisy than A340.

Edited by KK Lee

By FAA regulation; in the event of one engine failure, twin must be able to take off with single engine. Hence, on take off; twin is always over powered by 100% compared with 25% on 4 pots. Therefore 777 is more noisy than A340.

What an explanation! Wehee... :clapping:

What good is flying if the sound is absent!

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

MAS asks Airbus, Boeing to bid for 55-aircraft deal

By Fauziah Ismail and Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

April 26 2007

AIRFRAME makers Airbus and Boeing Co confirmed that they have been asked to bid for a contract to sell up to 55 single-aisle aircraft to Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS).

The new planes are to replace the national carrier's 39 ageing B737-300s.

Sources said Airbus will submit a proposal for either the A320s or A321s while Boeing is expected to propose to MAS its B737-800 or B737-900ER.

Both companies are expected to submit their proposals before a June deadline.

The aircraft upgrade exercise could cost MAS between US$3.3 billion (RM11.3 billion) and US$4.43 billion (RM15.2 billion), based on the catalogue price of the planes.

Business Times understands that MAS wants to take delivery of the first plane as early as at the end of next year.

However, due to the large orders for single-aisle planes around the world, it would probably receive its first aircraft the earliest by 2011.

Airbus chief operating officer (customer) John J. Leahy confirmed in a Business Times interview on Monday that manufacturers have received the request for proposals (RFP).

"All I can say right now is that we have received the RFPs from MAS for our single-aisle aircraft about a week ago. I can't go into details on the matter," he said.

Leahy was in Kuala Lumpur for the agreement signing ceremony with FLY Asian Xpress (FAX). FAX is buying 10 A330-300 aircraft, with the option to buy five more.

Sources said Boeing too is commencing response to MAS' RFP.

The US airframe maker could expect tough competition from Airbus, which may offer huge discounts on the single-aisle planes as a sweetener for MAS to keep the A380s orders.

MAS had as early as 2004 announced plans to replace the ageing B737s with newer and more efficient aircraft.

With an estimated cost of RM4 billion, the exercise had to be put on hold as MAS attempted to revive its financial health.

So far, MAS has a total of 97 aircraft comprising 17 units of B777s, 17 units of B747s, six units of B747 freighters, 39 B737s and 16 A330s and two Fokker 50s which are currently used by its subsidiary community airline Firefly.

Under its aircraft renewal plans, the airline had also announced plans to buy long-range narrow-body aircraft to support its network expansion in the region.

so the winner for the contract will be ....(yet to be known)

wonder if MAS do get the 738 or 739 ER would equip it with aviation partners winglets or not

The 777 is alive and well on the KUL-SIN route. Easy for you to get over your 777 pangs since you can do at least 3 turnarounds in one day. :D The reaction of the check in agent might be a different story...

Yes the airbuses have a quieter cabin I feel, especially the A330. I used to fly the 333 a lot when QF had a nicely timed MEL-HKG-MEL turnaround flight until it got replaced by a horribly timed 744 that goes to LHR via HKG (horrible for those terminating at HKG that is). :angry: The 333 does emit a high pitched noise upon take off but it drops after take off so not too much of an issue.

Edited by Keith T

Got a strange feeling that Airbus might win the contract..... <_>

GO BOEING ... GO!

One thing I noticed about A330 and A340 is the noise of the pumping action (braking?) during taxiing. It sounds like someone turning a watertap on and then suddenly stopped it in an urge - A noise which makes the aircraft feels a bit vulnerable. Noticed that funny noise onboard MH 332, 333 and CX 343.

I still prefer the 777s anyday. Noise on the 777 is not as bad as others claimed here.

Edited by S V Choong