MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sung

Lufthansa in SZB

post-600-1165662999_thumb.jpg post-600-1165663006_thumb.jpgpost-600-1165663012_thumb.jpgpost-600-1165663018_thumb.jpg

This lufthansa, D-BAVL, arrived around 2 pm this afternoon at SZB for check in MAS hangar, not morning, sorry.... :p

Edited by Sung

Is there a way to view that hangar or the aircraft from outside the hangar? like roads around there.. I wanna drop by there to have a look...

She's now currently in Hangar 3 Line 8, quite difficult to see her from main road. The Lufthansa crews were already there preparing for the checks.

She'll be having A check + retrofit.

The Lufthansa crews were already there preparing for the checks.

Lufthansa crew? So what's the point of doing the retrofit in SZB?

It's something line borrowing the facilities. Like Berjaya air in Hangar 1 Line 3, renting the whole line. Means of Lufthansa crews are like their own engineers while the technicians are from MAS.

It's okay, I heard that this is one of the 4 Lufthansa aircraft coming :)

Hi Sung,

Do you know how long will she be here and when the other 3 are coming? TQ

Just a quick question,

why would airlines fly empty aircrafts half way across the globe to do maintenance? I believe Xiamen is also a quite popular place for European carriers to conduct maintenance?

Just a quick question,

why would airlines fly empty aircrafts half way across the globe to do maintenance?

$ $ $ :D

Just a quick question,

why would airlines fly empty aircrafts half way across the globe to do maintenance? I believe Xiamen is also a quite popular place for European carriers to conduct maintenance?

To many aircraft to maintain..

Every aircraft stationary on the ground will cost the airline, so its more economical for them get them up in the air as much as possible.

Plus, it shows MAS Engineering standards..

Wow,

Awesome Catch Sung.. :good: :good:

Do keep us updated with more shots if you have them.

thanks for sharing.

Lufthansa Technik cannot handle their own ?

Cheap, I guess this 747 last flight was BKK-KUL and then continue on to SZB?

i need info on future arrivals and departures... :)

Would like to know the arrivals and departures, too, and also test flights like the Heliconia did... Another spotting trip down to SZB like we did in late 2005 when the Heliconia took its maiden flight?

$ $ $ :D

So you mean the extra fuel charge + maintenance fee charged by MAS is lower, rather than performing this let say in Frankfurt? Really amazing, because everybody is saying fuel is going up, while everybody is flying empty airplane 10000km to do maintenance. It's like a person from KL is driving his/her car to do maintenance in Singapore. A bit difficult to comprehend.

So you mean the extra fuel charge + maintenance fee charged by MAS is lower, rather than performing this let say in Frankfurt? Really amazing, because everybody is saying fuel is going up, while everybody is flying empty airplane 10000km to do maintenance. It's like a person from KL is driving his/her car to do maintenance in Singapore. A bit difficult to comprehend.

It probably just did a KUL flight? And outbound pax were little and so were sent onto code-shared flights?

Who cares about debating why its here - more importantly HOW LONG is it here and any chance of a heads up on some spotting dates to capture this EXTREMELY rare occurance??? TK - If it's a weekday and you're here, I'm willing to skip work mate!

DSC01176.JPG DSC01184.JPGDSC01190.JPGDSC01191.JPG

This lufthansa, D-BAVL, arrived around 2 pm this afternoon at SZB for check in MAS hangar, not morning, sorry.... :p

Nice shots, however, I think it's D-ABVL :lol:

Even KLM is sending their MD-11's for heavy maintenance to XMN, so even with the long empty flights, it's still cheaper to have those checks done there than in AMS or elsewhere in Europe ;)

She'll be there for a month doing retrofitting. Scheduled time would be on 7th Jan, if I'm not mistaken. maybe early or late. who knows. I'm not so sure when will the next 3 coming in. So far the cabin interior has been removed. MAS engineering department now receiving 70% third party aircraft 30% own MAS aircraft due to Business Turnaround. So, there'll be lots of third party coming in. Today the Jet Airways B738, VT-JNJ, has just been delivered this morning.

TK, you might have to fly a couple of aussies up, to ensure you have good luck and catch them!

To add another idea to this debate...

Many airlines when sending a/c away for maintenance tend to follow a pattern, where by its only the first arrival and last departure that ferry the long distance. To put it simply, and use this a/c are the example...

Aircraft 1:

FRA-SZB, has what is required, then ferries SZB-KUL. While on the same day...

Aircraft 2:

ferries KUL-SZB, has what is required, then ferries SZB-KUL. While on the same day as she is finished...

Aircraft 3:

ferries KUL-SZB. Maintenance, SZB-KUL...and once she's done on the same day

Aircraft 4:

ferry KUL-SZB. Maintenance, no need for a/c swap, so she ferries SZB-FRA.

That way all their regular services are covered and less ferry time (ie less loosing money time) for the a/c collectively. Hope you all get what I mean!

Sign in to follow this