MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Eyes Direct Flights To Perth (via KCH)

This sounds cool.

.ny

+++

July 25, 2006 18:40 PM

AirAsia Eyes Direct Flights To Perth

KUCHING, July 25 (Bernama) -- Low-cost carrier, AirAsia Bhd, may fly to Perth via Kuching after its direct flights from here to other Asean destinations are successful, chief executive officer (CEO), Datuk Tony Fernandes, said.

"Our priority now is the direct flights from Kuching, our second hub in Sabah and Sarawak, to Association of South-East Asian Nations (Asean) destinations such as Bangkok, Jakarta, the Philippines and Brunei," he told reporters after the CEO Luncheon Talk here Tuesday.

"We have other routes that we are going to (introduce) first. I think there are a lot of nearby businesses we want to get. We want to bring the Indonesians, Filipinos, Thais and Malaysians from the semenanjung here (Kuching) first. We will do that first before the Australians," he said.

National carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) had decided to cut all flights via secondary hubs -- London-Langkawi-Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), London-Penang-KLIA, Sydney-Kuching-KLIA, KLIA-Kuching-Perth and Frankfurt-KLIA-Kuching -- under its Business Turnaround Plan announced in March.

The Kuching-Perth route, which was introduced three years ago, had been popular among the Australians.

Fernandes said the direct Kuching-Perth flights would happen.

"Whatever we said, for sure we will do it but there is no real time frame. AirAsia will never rush to do things," he said.

On Fly Asian Express (FAX), a subsidiary of Tune Air, the holding company of AirAsia, Fernandes said the airline was confident of getting the air operating certificate (AOC) before August 1 as it would begin flights to rural areas in Sarawak and Sabah.

"We had met with the Transport Ministry.

"It has been very supportive so I don't see any problem.

"MAS has also given great support," he said.

FAX is a new company set up to operate all turbo-prop routes allocated to AirAsia by the Federal Government under the rationalisation domestic aviation exercise beginning August 1.

It will operate with seven Fokker 50s and five Twin Otters.

In Sarawak, some of the destinations under FAX include Mulu, Bario, Ba'Kelalan, Long Lellang, Long Banga, Long Akah, Long Seridan, Marudi, Belaga, Bintulu, Miri, Mukah, Limbang and Lawas.

Fernandes said the start today in the operations of Kuching as AirAsia's second hub in Sabah and Sarawak was smooth.

"My staff look very happy so it must be smooth," he said.

-- BERNAMA

Will a fully loaded Airbus A320 be able to fly PER-KCH nonstop ? :huh:

Oh my...so interesting...KCH-PER on AK could be quite a bargain. :lol:

And I don't mind to seat on unreclinable tuna can for more than 4 hours if the fare is dirt cheap for AUS and NZ routes. LOL

I still way support MH on domestic routes.

Edited by Adrian M

Will a fully loaded Airbus A320 be able to fly PER-KCH nonstop ?

Fully loaded, just.

BI do it once weekly with an A320. They can't carry diversion fuel, so they must be 100% certain they can make before they press on. AK will for sure do extremely well on this route, especially if they offer very quick connections to BKI.

One thing, don't expect fares to be ultra cheap as taxes and charges imposed on Australian flights (the highest is bloody PER!) are really high.

Oh, and my official comment, well, many know how much I adore AK...so... F****** WICKED!

Good to hear actually, I so can't wait!

Is there a touch of sarcasm embedded - or is it just me ?! :pardon:

Jetstar and Virgin Blue will start this route too if AK did. Qantas would do the same thing I think.

On the side note, Iggy would get much needed attention to his Oly and KCH. :lol:

AK really ROCKS!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Whats next? Korea? :rofl: :good:

Woo~~ KUL-Macau-JAP & KOR or KUL-JAP & KOR routes. :yahoo:

BKI-ICN-BKI or BKI-NRT-BKI :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by Adrian M

It looks promising.

If it is technically possible, i think it would be a BIG and a MASSIVE blow to other airlines. Especially Royal Brunei with their flights to Perth from BWN.

Especially Royal Brunei with their flights to Perth from BWN.

Right: 1st they're 'attacked' by AK from the West (KUL-BWN), and now it would be from the South aswell :o

Right: 1st they're 'attacked' by AK from the West (KUL-BWN), and now it would be from the South aswell :o

AK is starting to paint Asia/Oceania in spicy paella red. LOL

Especially SEA is already spicy AK red now.

Edited by Adrian M

They are seeking India and China now Australia! Can't wait till they go Japan :drinks:

This is a great news for Australian who want to visit Bornoe, they can spend less money on flight and spend more money at world class hotel! Will this approve by the Australian thou? I'm sure the gov. wants to protect their airlines?

Can you help me listed country that AK will/already/in plan to conquer?

Malaysia

Thailand

Singapore

India

China

Bangladesh

Macau

China

Australia

Brunei

Philippines

Vietnam

Combodia

Myanmar

Future?

Taiwan

Japan

Korea

New Zealand

Russia

Nepal

Edited by Seth K

Rusia

POCCHA ??? :nea:

It looks promising.

If it is technically possible, i think it would be a BIG and a MASSIVE blow to other airlines. Especially Royal Brunei with their flights to Perth from BWN.

Very promising. But no, it wouldnt hit BI all that much. Most traffic on BI is through traffic to FRA or LHR, with MNL, BKI, SGN making up most of the remainder, and BWN itself being one of the least productive destinations out of here.

BKI-ICN-BKI or BKI-NRT-BKI :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I don't see them operating into any of the airports in the north anytime soon due to the outrageously high landing fee. May be AK should try KUL/MFM and BKI/MFM ? Another cheap way to get into HKG :)

Very promising. But no, it wouldnt hit BI all that much. Most traffic on BI is through traffic to FRA or LHR, with MNL, BKI, SGN making up most of the remainder, and BWN itself being one of the least productive destinations out of here.

To be honest, i really don't know what are BI thinking. With the money they have, BI can be another EK or QR in Asia. BI can support multiple daily flights into BKI if they can think smartly as EK/QR :) Please tell them that they will be running out of petrols one day, so "sediakan payung sebelum hujan" !

Edited by Isaac

Is there a touch of sarcasm embedded - or is it just me ?! :pardon:

No la, no sarcasm, I mean if it's genuinely cheaper, I'm all up for it! I've never been to Aust!

No la, no sarcasm, I mean if it's genuinely cheaper, I'm all up for it! I've never been to Aust!

That's what I'm thinking too :lol:

May be AK should try KUL/MFM and BKI/MFM ? Another cheap way to get into HKG :)

AK currently flies twice daily KUL - MFM . Very good move. :yahoo:

i hope they fly KUL - TPE , KUL - HKG... if you see the fares of JetStar... attractive! AirAsia wanna go out of ASIA ? good move for cheap travel!

KCH-PER on A320? Looks interesting for me....

.....Especially the non-reclining seats...

Edited by Radzi

.....Especially the non-reclining seats...

Ya, so try to avoid AFA-AFF. AFG onwards should have recliner seats, so I'm told. B)

.naim

Ya, so try to avoid AFA-AFF. AFG onwards should have recliner seats, so I'm told. B)

.naim

But 9M-AFC is definitely a YES :) as experienced on Friday last week.. :D