MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fajar Surya Lesmana

Lion Air Undershot Runway at Denpasar and Crashed into the Sea

Let's keep in perspective...the cause of this accident might not of been pilot error, but an mechanical issue or failure on the the plane. There's reports on another forum that mayday calls were issued.

Pilots might end up being heros.

As a side note flights are still operating in and out of DPS.

Jeez was just talking about the hard landing on my flight back from KUL on OD.

Jeez was just talking about the hard landing on my flight back from KUL on OD.

But most of OD captains were ex-MH pilots... no ? So it's probably a non-issue.

A number of joint personnel to evacuate goods and Lion Air passenger plane which slipped into the sea after trying to land at Ngurah Rai Airport in Denpasar, Bali. Lion Air plane with the flight number JT-960 route Bandung-Denpasar Ngurah Rai Airport slipped on landing, causing hundreds of passengers injured.

2454_5867.jpg

2454_5868.jpg

2454_5869.jpg

2454_5870.jpg

DPS runway 09 is VOR / DME approach only, but with modern equipment it can be fully automatic as well.

Just in my opinion maybe is relating with microburst??

15006KT

110V270

FEW017CB

With the reported weather like the above, very unlikely will produce windshear/microbust.

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

Very funny d way LKS landed in d water. To me looks more land short rather than over shoot.

Yes it is undershoot, but I won't call any accident as funny.

Judging from pictures, any idea why the aircraft's right winglet and right horizontal stabilizer snapped while left ones still remain intact?

Probably as it came down, the plane tilted more to the right due to wind sheer, didn't counter act fast enough , hits the water, and flipped the plane around facing away from the runway.

Which may also explains the breakage of the rear portion of the fuselage which could have raised up and then slammed back on to the sea bed.

Nevertheless, it is good fortune that no one have been killed in this crash.

Just saw this on Malindo's FB page...

''Malindo Air would like to assure our guests that safety and comfort of our passengers are our utmost priority at all times.

Dear Valued Passenger,
Our team of experienced pilots and engineers adhere to the strictest procedures and highest safety standards prior, during and after every single flight we operate, in line with international safety regulations at all times.

With regards to the incident in Bali, it is being investigated by the regulator and airline officials. It will be premature for us to speculate at the moment.

What we can ensure at the moment is, all passengers were safely evacuated and are safe. The aircraft is brand new and the captain had more than 10k hours of flying.

Thank You''

Quote: "For me personally, I suspect the windshear and or the usual unstable approach as possible causes for this accident, but we must thank the low tide at the time of the accident as it certainly contributed to the high (100%) survivability rate of this accident."

See: http://gerryairways.blogspot.com/2013/04/lion-air-737-800-undershoots-and-ends.html

Am I correct in saying that all the promo shots on OD's website and around the place are taken inside ex -LNB?

I seemed to remember seeing them before their own 2 B739's arrived.

Am I correct in saying that all the promo shots on OD's website and around the place are taken inside ex -LNB?

I seemed to remember seeing them before their own 2 B739's arrived.

May be... May be not. Former 9M-LNB never had a Business Class section though.

It could be similar to the Turkish incident in AMS too. Similarly landed short of the runway, but this is luckier as they landed on water.

It could be similar to the Turkish incident in AMS too. Similarly landed short of the runway, but this is luckier as they landed on water.

It seems like that as crashed before runway but reason may differemt. Amsterdam accident caused by the mostly Boeing system failure then ATC servicing mistakes and finally pilot reaction. According by "gerryairways" , takes attention to "microburst/windshare" possibility which is different from AMS accident.

As result, there were 4 planes have been landed safely, pilots were awarned microburst-windshare for a long time by CRM and other training methods. They should be know about avoid to possible dangerous activities. Also this is responsibilty by air Traffic Controllers of Bali.

Lion involved many serious accident last 5 years but I don't know ,if there was serious awarning by Indonesia civil Aviation safety authority. This accident may getting trouble on Lion I guess.

how many of this model 737-800 crash? i think i've seen many. American airlines, Turkish..etc..

I notice that too... And it seems that it has a tendency to break apart in accidents like it is so fragile. Good that everyone is safe and all the more reason to pay attention to safety briefings. This incident looks so much like that illustrated in safety cards.

Sign in to follow this