MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mushrif A

Heightened Security

Given what's happening on the ground in east coast Sabah, I couldnt help but noticed there were more than the usual number of armed police/ military personnel patrolling the landside area of KLIA today...but didnt see any difference airside.

Dont you think security could and should be improved at all airports (& other key infrastructure too...but since this is an aviation site, so let's stick to airports & planes) and MH/AK flights?

Sure the military could easily decimate some 200 odd armed bandits...but it's tough to kill a mosquito or two with a Hawk 200 or an M16.

It is all too easy, relatively speaking, to penetrate the little security at smallish airports in/ around Sabah or Sarawak, say, bring stuff on a MASWing Twin Otter and next thing you know, later in the day stuff is already on a 737 flight to, say KUL. And these folks need to make a political statement. And unfortunately, these folks or their sympathisers may also be armed with ...a M'sian IC! It could be that airside toilet cleaner, aircraft cabin catering guy, bagagge handler, airside duty free shop personnel...

Intra-domestic flights seem to only require one security check at original point of departure, and that only applies to passengers. What about folks having airside access in the small(ish) airports? Folks that blend in with the background?

May sound like an alarmist but I was just thinking along the lines of ETA, Tamil Tigers, IRA...travelling domestically may never be the same again.

What do you guys think? Are we prepared?

Well...assuming these Sulu milliants now in Sabah have been routed....their leadership will want to make a political statement somewhere in the future to show to Malaysia, Philippines and the world that they still mean business.

Therefore what possible scenarios you mention may to a certain extent be true too but I do hope none of this will happen.

I hate to see domestically we need to undergo further security checks at shopping malls, hotels and so on.....

The longer the incident prevails, the more would be the support for the Sulu intruders. Swiftly end it once and for all, and Phillipines need to address this by curbing press conference on the seniled self-proclaimed sultan. Blanket block it before it spread to other war-mongers who fancies a fight just to pass time.

Given MNLF, MILF, etc modus operandi and track records, they prefer kidnapping/hostages taking and likely to occurred in Sabah coastal towns or resorts.

Edited by KK Lee

Yes, let's stick to aviation. And the funniest thing is those armies were transported to Sabah by AirAsia plane?!! Now Everyone Can Fly!!! Go Holidays!!! = Now Armies Can Fly!!! Go War!!!

Yes, let's stick to aviation. And the funniest thing is those armies were transported to Sabah by AirAsia plane?!! Now Everyone Can Fly!!! Go Holidays!!! = Now Armies Can Fly!!! Go War!!!

There is nothing funny to use AK as troop transporter.

There is nothing funny to use AK as troop transporter.

Perhaps not for you, it is for many people. Quite an embarrassment too that our troops are using passenger aircraft for operation.

It's a non-issue, I think you should read these first:

http://blogserius.blogspot.com/2013/03/serius-komik-kenapa-angkatan-tentera.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151477825691585&set=a.10151477825666585.1073741828.528826584&type=1&theater

Perhaps not for you, it is for many people. Quite an embarrassment too that our troops are using passenger aircraft for operation.

The U.S. Transportation Command relies on chartered commercial aircraft to move 93 percent of its troops and 41 percent of its long-range air cargo, said Navy Capt. Stephen Honda, a command spokesman at Scott Air Force Base in Belleville, Ill.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2003-02-12-military-flights.htm

I think that comparing with the US is not really fair. This op is a fairly small one, and it isn't even fighting a war. Surely, the Malaysian military has the ability to cover all the logistics themselves. It is a good test of their battle readiness.

Yes in event of war, a country will definitely commandeer all available resources at its disposal. During the Falklands war, the British used the QE II cruise liner as a troop carrier.

Cannot lar - you want the troops to jump off the 747/A380 if they fly with MAS eh?

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I think that comparing with the US is not really fair. This op is a fairly small one, and it isn't even fighting a war. Surely, the Malaysian military has the ability to cover all the logistics themselves. It is a good test of their battle readiness.

Those boys are flying to defend the country, to defend your very way of life. At least get them a comfy ride, which could be the last one for some of them.

I have a bad feeling that this stand-off is only the beginning. Everything seems planned for sometime (with some of them are already around before this), and we are not sure how many of them (if any) are currently staying idling now just waiting for the next move.

My FB is also stormed with posts making jokes on the AK flight. To me, I prefer to stay neutral over this topic.

Anyway, latest update from NST mentioned 3 Hornets and 5 Hawks MK208 are involved in the operation today. Will like to know more on details if anyone have additional information. :)

The U.S. Transportation Command relies on chartered commercial aircraft to move 93 percent of its troops and 41 percent of its long-range air cargo, said Navy Capt. Stephen Honda, a command spokesman at Scott Air Force Base in Belleville, Ill.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2003-02-12-military-flights.htm

Even Australian Troops too, they were transported by Strategic Air before they gone bust.

My FB is also stormed with posts making jokes on the AK flight. To me, I prefer to stay neutral over this topic.

I saw a cartoon by PR's resident cartoonist Zunar questioning why use AirAsia's plane instead of "Hornets, MiGs, etc.". I like Khairy Jamaluddin's blunt comment here - https://twitter.com/Khairykj/status/308807202012008449

Ultimately he took it down - of all the things to politicise no need to bloody politicise the use of commercial planes instead of RMAF transports!

Regarding the military using AK for troop transport, to me it is to be expected. As has been said thousands of times before, a commercial aircraft is faster,bigger and more suitable for troop transport. The commercial transport will bring them to the nearest suitable safe civilian airport where the military transport plane can be used for flights into the combat zone.

Why AK instead of MH? Why not? Maybe AK give the best price and availability at the said time. MH, AK, D7 all have done it before so it is nothing new.

Whoever keep on complaining about this are either naive or under-informed, if not worse.

It's a bit odd that as a member of an aviation forum, you're clueless about simple economics of an aviation operation. An AK A320 can carry 180 souls at a cruising speed of about 828 km/h. The largest transport plane that our military has is the C130, which in troop transport mode can only carry less than 100 souls with a cruising speed of slightly above 500 km/h. And the Charlie is not exactly the last word in luxury. And with Uncle Tony chipping in as part of their CSR, this is a no brainer decision. This will also free up the Charlies to carry equipments to the scene.

Back to the topic, PQ should tighten their security kaw kaw. That is the first thing that came to my mind.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Perhaps the Malaysian public has been exposed to so many movie scenes of troops 'storming out from military helicopters or military aircrafts' then straight to combat zones.

Edited by Alif A. F.

the security in Sabah should have been heightened long time ago, especially in the 80's and 90's. from what I heard from my neighbours (most of them are active and ex-militarymen who had served in Sabah), these Sulu's had been strenghtening their present in Sabah for a long time. in fact, weaponary such as M16, M203, homemade shotgun and various type of side-arm is a common sight in some of the villages. having these illegal Sulu's in our own backyard is a timebomb waiting to explode.

I must agree with Mushrif about things that can be smuggled from a twin otter to a 737. There was absolutely zero security check for baggage on my trips to Mukah some years ago. One can make a loud enough statement by bringing down an otter bearing a Malaysian flag. And these days there are people willing to die to accomplish their mission!

I have no issue with the boys hiking a ride over on an AK flight

Could have been MH, SQ, BI ...... maybe even PR

Heck, maybe even 9M-NAA or M53-01 could have been roped in if they needed to get over here in such a rush

Though I do have an issue with fact that it took three whole bloomin weeks before someone decided to shake a leg and make the journey over

What were the Charlies being utilized for during those preceeding three weeks ?

If those Charlies had been flying in reinforcements and hardware during that time, you think those beseiged Tausug chaps would not have been forewarned via their unhindered communication system ?

Fly in a few of the MIGs into SDK, the F18s into TWU - they would have known about it, probably even without need for a flypast display at Tanduo village

Let them feel the breeze of the Lynxs' downwash

For we do have that sort of hardware at our disposal ('our' on assumption that we here in Sabah deserve equal care as deemed necessary by our dear leaders and military chiefs)

Lots and lots of things could have been done in three weeks (so says he with obvious benefit of hindsight)

Those land grabbers could have been so scared poohless they go running back home tail between legs to warn their breathens against ever making the same mistake again ......

No, that did not happen

Instead, we've had 8 Malaysian servicemen lose their life during those 3 weeks

We've endured uncertainty of unrest throughout

We've seen home minister come and make as obvious as daylight remarks

We've had assurances from authorities that "all under control" (keadaan semua terkawal is the usual bit)

etc etc etc .....

So, please if you can imagine and believe me if I may be allowed to repeat

"I have no issue with the boys hiking a ride over on an AK flight"

:)

Edited by BC Tam

imo, we all need to acknowledge that this threat definitely new to us(pasca-independence), unlike some neighbouring countries. Some ppls keep saying that we act too late this have shld been done earlier and etc... my bet is that they didnt expect this to happen at all and assume that through negotiation it can be ended peacefully especially when the phils gov also involve in the nego.. boy how they thought wrong.. and i cannot blame the gov since we are inexperience with this kind of things.... heck, even if the PR in charge most probably they will do they same. Besides, we are in the midst of most heated election ever in history... :D

On a good note, this attack shld be an eye opener to the gov on how they need to respond and improve their crisis management. from now onwards, its time for our military to show their capabilities and i hope they will be no more blood spills on malaysian side