MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

I know some of my colleagues have general dislike of being inside ATR72, they prefer Boeing 737 or A320... As long as it is passenger jet at least the size of either latter aircrafts.

I wonder what are their reasons? I find the ATR quite comfortable - cosy even. Getting in and out is a squeeze but there are fewer pax.

FY's SZB-SIN and SZB-PEN are usually full at peak hours.

Nowadays is about 2 x B738 daily service for BKI - SDK and BKI - TWU if not mistaken. AK also have 2. Then you have ATR flights in-between those - 2 non-stop and 2 doing the SDK - TWU run. I am not sure the load is really that good though. Switching to ATR and maybe cut some frequency does make some sense.

The only problem as a passenger is that during transit you are stuck in the aircraft. It can get warm pretty fast inside when the air-con is off.

Edited by Waiping

Malaysia Airlines' new management to be announced next month

Nov 28 (Reuters) - Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS), which is due to be taken private after being hit by two separate air disasters this year, will be replaced by a new company called Malaysia Airlines Bhd, with details to be announced next month.
Khazanah Nasional Bhd, Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund and MAS's parent company, said late on Friday that it expects to make a key announcement on the leadership of the new company at the end of December, when MAS is to be delisted.
Full report:

MAS Recovery Plan Well On Track, Says Khazanah

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 28 (Bernama) -- Khazanah Nasional Bhd said there has been progress on all fronts towards the complete overhaul of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), under the five-year 12-point MAS Recovery Plan (MRP) announced on Aug 29.

Khazanah in a statement Friday, issued its first progress update on the MRP.

I wonder what are their reasons? I find the ATR quite comfortable - cosy even. Getting in and out is a squeeze but there are fewer pax.

FY's SZB-SIN and SZB-PEN are usually full at peak hours.

Size - they have this perception that bigger plane is better for intra-Sabah flights (so do most of us!). I personally don't really mind types of aircrafts for any travel that goes for 1 hour or less.

People should be thankful that there are air services available in rural areas rather than complain about the size of the aircraft. These services are expensive to run but people being people, they want cheap price, bigger aircraft and then get upset when the service stops. Geez...

These services are expensive to run but people being people, they want cheap price, bigger aircraft and then get upset when the service stops. Geez...

Well yes, I suppose that mentality is dispensable already nowadays

Now that most of the costs of airport upgradings this corner of the nation has already been disbursed :)

Going back on high cost/cheap fare issue, I'm wondering how much of the original purpose of establishing MASwings remains intact. IIRC, it was separated from parent MAS to supposedly allow better accountability and transparency of the gahmen's financial subsidy to keep the RAS going. It just seem to me it has deviated so much from that already, and now with this proposed LCC idea and all, how long before the RAS operations will again have to be grafted out ?

Edited by BC Tam

MAS Shares To Be Suspended From Dec 15

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 4 (Bernama) -- The trading of Malaysia Airlines System Bhd's (MAS) shares on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia will be suspended with effect from Dec 15, 2014 at 9am, three clear days prior to the entitlement date for its selective capital reduction and repayment exercise (SCR).

Accordingly, the last day for trading of MAS shares prior to the suspension would be on Friday, Dec 12.

"Under the SCR, the ordinary shareholders of MAS, other than Khazanah Nasional Bhd, whose names appear on the company's record of depositors as at 5pm on Dec 19 shall be entitled to receive a cash amount of 27 sen for each MAS share," it said in a filing to Bursa Malaysia here Thursday.

MAS said the capital repayment was expected to be made within 10 days from the entitlement date.

The trading of MAS shares would continue to be suspended until completion of the SCR and the subsequent delisting of MAS from the official list of Bursa Malaysia, it said.

Its looking like past mistakes are being repeated. A lot of highly paid people are still there. Will the new MAS continue to be top heavy?

IMHO, AJ should go - he failed to turn MAS around in the 3 years that he was in charge.

Its looking like past mistakes are being repeated. A lot of highly paid people are still there. Will the new MAS continue to be top heavy?

IMHO, AJ should go - he failed to turn MAS around in the 3 years that he was in charge.

There must be some continuity, and AJ is not as bad as you'd imagine. There were some changes he did that was for the better, but with tied hands there's only so much he can do.

There must be some continuity, and AJ is not as bad as you'd imagine. There were some changes he did that was for the better, but with tied hands there's only so much he can do.

I believe his contract was extended to June or July next year to facilitate continuity.

In normal circumstances, he "didn't perform too badly". But MAS is on life support. Not too bad may not be good enough....

Lets wait for more details of the new company.

With all due respect, of course the "top" must be "heavy".. Otherwise how to get the best people to turn around the company?

You pay cheap, you get cheap.

The problem is not with the pay, it's about finding the right people.

Anyway, hope this Mueller dude does well.. But it's going to be so, so difficult for him. He probably doesn't know what he's getting himself into :D

'Didnt perform too badly?'

We must choose the best, not mediocre. We are wasting billions of ringgit for mediocrity. This shouldn't happen in an industry with thin margins..depending heavily on oil prices and intimately linked to economic downturn, wars, epidemics and political unrest.. This is on top of competing with some of the world's best airlines.

Imagine if we had mediocrity in my job... We would get chucked out immediately and struck off the medical register.

These government appointees should be accountable for their actions. If you can't hack it, leave the job with some dignity. you will be respected more

How much free hand Mueller will be given? Who will be supervising him?

Edited by KK Lee